Originally published April 7, 2011 at 05:19p.m., updated April 8, 2011 at 12:00a.m.

Morris twins sign with agent, will declare for draft

KU coach Bill Self: " ... the time is right for those guys to go onto the next level"

Brother Marcus Morris, left, and Markieff Morris congratulate each other after grabbing a foul against Iowa State during the first half on Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University juniors Marcus and Markieff Morris are headed to the 2011 NBA Draft with the blessing of coach Bill Self.

“We’ve won a ton of games in the last three years, and the twins were a big part of that. When the time is right, the time is right, and certainly now the time is right for those guys to go onto the next level,” Self said Thursday.

Self said in a phone interview —there was no news conference because the twins’ representation, Rival Sports Group, LLC, issued a release without KU’s knowledge Thursday afternoon — that the Philadelphia forwards are “solidly in the first round (of the June draft).”

“I am proud of Marcus and Markieff for the development and improvement they made, not only off the court, but on the court in their three years here,” Self said. “They have been an absolute joy to coach and performed at a level to give them the opportunity to leave and enter the NBA Draft after three years.

“We not only wish them the best moving forward, but also 100 percent support this decision for them to enter.”

Self said the decision “certainly came as no surprise after they made the trip to L.A. (last week to meet with an aspiring agent).”

Big 12 player of the year and second-team consensus All-American Marcus Morris averaged a team-leading 17.2 points and 7.6 rebounds a game last season. He’s projected as No. 15 pick in the first round of the 2011 draft by draftexpress.com.

Markieff Morris led the Big 12 in field goal percentage (58.9) and rebounds (8.3 per game) while averaging 13.6 points a game. He’s projected as No. 19 pick in the first round by draftexpress.com.

“This was one of the most difficult decisions we have ever made,” Marcus Morris said. “Our three years at KU have been great — the fans, Allen Fieldhouse, the games, but most importantly, the coaches and my teammates. We accomplished a lot together and learned even more with our coaching staff.

“The support the fans showed us can never be matched,” Marcus added. “We appreciate everything they did for us while we were here. When we say ‘F.O.E’., we are saying ‘Family Over Everything’ and that includes the Jayhawk Nation.”

He stressed that, “it was a difficult decision but I feel it’s the right time for me to realize my dream to play in the National Basketball Association. I consider it a privilege to have had the opportunity to play for coach Self and his staff.”

Noted Markieff: “This decision was tugging at both our hearts. Coach Self thinks this is a good time and we feel this is the best for us and for our family. We will always be Jayhawks and be part of this family.

“I would like to thank the fans for their support over the past years. Some of my best experiences have been at KU and I’m thankful for my teammates, coaches and all the people that support KU.”

The twins helped KU to a 95-17 record in three seasons. KU won three Big 12 regular-season titles, two postseason tourney crowns. They advanced as far as one NCAA Elite Eight.

“As I move on to the professional stage of my career, I will always remember my time as a Jayhawk,” Markieff said. “Playing here has prepared me for the opportunity to have a successful career in the NBA.”

Rival Sports Group, LLC is a full-service management firm based in Beverly Hills, California. Tony Dutt is the NBA agent working with Rival Sports Group who will handle their contract negotiations.

Richard Gebbia, CEO of Rival Sports Group said: “We are pleased to have the Morris twins aboard to represent their interests as professional athletes. They are outstanding young men and have a bright future ahead of them in the NBA and beyond.”

Jerome “Pooh” Richardson, President of Rival Sports Group's Basketball Operations and retired 11 year NBA Veteran added: “The Morris twins have limitless potential as professional basketball players.”

No presser this time: KU coach Bill Self commented on why the twins did not hold a news conference like Jayhawks in the past who have decided to turn pro with eligibility remaining:

“Obviously we would have preferred to have had a press conference to do it right,” Self said, “but with the firm releasing its own press release, we felt we had to respond immediately to that. That’s why we put out a statement.”

Recruiting: KU has four scholarships to give in recruiting, five if freshman Josh Selby, as many NBA writers believe, declares for the draft.

Selby remains enrolled at KU, but is working out at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas, a facility well known for working out draft prospects.

Self has signed Naadir Tharpe, 6-0 from Brewster Academy In Wolfeboro, N.H., and has received a commitment from Ben McLemore, 6-5 from St. Louis. Self said Thursday he would like to sign a minimum of two backcourt players and two frontcourt players and may not use all available scholarships.

Rivals.com says Self today will be visiting Trevor Lacey, a 6-3 shooting guard from Butler High in Huntsville, Ala. Lacey, who is ranked 34th by Rivals.com, averaged 31.3 points a game his senior season. He has a final list of KU, Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky and UConn. He will announce on April 22.

Others on KU’s list include: DeAndre Daniels, 6-8 forward from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.; Jamari Traylor, 6-7 forward, also from IMG; Braeden Anderson, 6-8 forward from Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Massachusetts; Otto Porter, 6-8 forward from Scott County Central High in Sikeston, Mo.; and Stan Simpson, 6-10, Bogan Community College in Chicago.

Reed undergoes surgery: KU senior Tyrel Reed reports that he had successful surgery on his left foot at noon Wednesday at KU Med West in Kansas City. Reed, who will be out of action two to four weeks, said he had “a piece of bone in the back of my heel called ‘Os Trigonum’ removed. It’s a little excessive piece of bone that made everything around that area inflamed.” The surgery took 30-40 minutes.

Comments

mispay4ku 7 years, 11 months ago

Bummer....but I seen that coming a mile away. Good Luck, Marcus and Markieff; you'll be missed next year!

Dyrk Dugan 7 years, 11 months ago

and there we go.....Sr. night for the twins? gone. they had a nice career....it's still sad to see. i wish they were coming back...their last year here was very good...and marred by a few actions, and one forgettable regional final.

Three Big 12 titles though...and a Big 12 player of the year for Marcus....we wish you both well! Jayhawks for life!

Matt Bowers 7 years, 11 months ago

Who here believes that Jaybate wrote their release statements;) Best of luck to the twins, I really hope a NBA team takes advantage of this situation and gets them both...what a story that would make. Would love to see both of you play for the Thunder. All the best and thanks for the memories.

Rock Chalk

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

there are no references to the era of XTReme Muscle Ball/Cheap-shotting/Tripping. So I'm gonna have to say nay on the Jaybate theory.

leonard 7 years, 11 months ago

We'll here more very soon about the process that the twins went through. And while waiting on that info...just wondering:

"When the time is right, the time is right, and certainly now the time is right for those guys to go onto the next level." -- Bill Self, April 7

"The lockout is an interesting twist. It doesn’t do a lot of good to get drafted real high if you’re not going to get paid." -- Bill Self, March 19

"I can tell you in the NBA, in my opinion, this is going to be a serious lockout. They will not be playing, in my opinion, next December and maybe even January. … You're not even going to get paid next year for half the year." -- Ben Howland

"Does that make this draft weaker? Might. So you might be able to get drafted higher. Does it make it so that nobody wants to go out because they don’t want to sit out their whole senior year and not play basketball until February?" -- Brad Stevens

Robert Buckles 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck guys but think Kieef need an extra years they will be missed I guess family over everything but money

chalmers2wright 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure they won't be using that money to take care of their family...

rcjh88 7 years, 11 months ago

You are a moron if you don't think they should go now. They are more than ready and their stock wouldn't get any higher if they stayed. I am a selfish fan and wanted them back but I fully support their decision.

Thanks for the memories twins, you were fun to watch grow into the players you are today!

bradynsdad 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck to them. It was fun watching them grow up. Now self can focus on bringing in another big or two. Don't know if anyone saw espns article about the draft but they tore selby up. Saying he has no business working out for NBA scouts.

Ann Oneill 7 years, 11 months ago

Glad to see that they at least signed with an experienced agent, instead of an up and coming doodah.

Andy Rieger 7 years, 11 months ago

Touche. The aspiring agent does what he can to leach any possible client = Morris Victims

Curtis Lange 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck to them. Also wish they were coming back for their senior year. M.O.E. though, I guess.

off-topic: Why do so many people misuse 'seen' in sentences?! I see it everyday.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 11 months ago

Break down the proper uses for me and ill never misuse it again.

gburch 7 years, 11 months ago

BlownJay:

You didn't "seen" it coming a mile away. You SAW it coming a mile away. "Saw" is the appropriate past tense.

Now, stand true to your word, and use it properly from this day forward.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 11 months ago

What about "I have seen this" or I had seen this coming. My spanish literature degree ruined my english verb conjugation!

Cai 7 years, 11 months ago

I saw. I have seen. I did see.

I do see. I am seeing.

I will see. I will have seen.

XEPCT 7 years, 11 months ago

no, you can't say "I have seen this coming from a mile away." ... It doesn't make sense. "I have seen this before," in reference to, say, Cole, would make sense.

and you can't say "I had seen this coming from a mile away," unless you have some other reference of time, i.e. "My wife said she had seen this coming from a mile away."

gburch 7 years, 11 months ago

No, it would still be "saw." It would be, "My wife said she saw this coming from a mile away."

Ron Franklin 7 years, 11 months ago

jhawk7782...how so? Verb endings in spanish follow specific patterns, whether they are regular or irregular. IMHO, the english language does not seem to do that.

addlime 7 years, 11 months ago

Don't know anything about spanish, but trust us, in English, it is: saw or have seen Saw is better in this situation as it is active, have seen is passive.

Isocrates 7 years, 11 months ago

"Saw" is past tense: I saw it yesterday. "Seen" is a past participle. Here, it helps form the present perfect verb tense: I have seen them. Both examples here are active voice; neither is passive. (But I'm glad you're going after "seen" in this usage. You're right.)

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

You are absolutely right about the the verb endings.. I was referring to the 'tense' such as future or conditional. I probably should have stayed away from this one : )

RockCaCO3 7 years, 11 months ago

I have seen many silly digressions, but not until I saw this one.

mispay4ku 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe you can go elsewhere....so you don't have to see it anymore. :)

Ron Franklin 7 years, 11 months ago

Chamberlain...stop embarrassing yourself. If you don't know when or how to be courteous, go back to 2nd grade.

You had no other insight into this other than to try to be insulting and hurtful?

I'd rather lack knowledge than be an acehole.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 11 months ago

"I love the fact KU supports special Olympians. I always like the annual stories and photos of the events. You can always tell the players have a ton of humility during it all, sorry to be sappy. Just makes me proud. ALSO...CAN SOMEONE TELL ME , did Wilt do something similar...or how his name was attached? Just curious."

funny how you say this, and then throw around the word "retard" when this is an obvious connotation to these very same people that draw you to tears.

Selbyville 7 years, 11 months ago

cant say i didnt see this coming. really wanted to see them come back though, obviously.

josh's decision should be an easy one, and i really hope he doesnt screw it up like i think he will

55jayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I expected this outcome since they met with an agent earlier this week. I hope they both make enough money in their careers vs. the money they would make with their degrees. We all know just playing 5-7 years they will make a lot more than most of us have with degrees only. Thanks guys for making our team what it was and you will be missed but there will be great opportunities for T Rob & others to do their thing next year.

Curtis Lange 7 years, 11 months ago

What NBA lockout? Maybe they can pick up soccer, like Ochocinco, while they wait to actually earn any money.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

Or better yet, they can come back to KU and play football, kinda like that Duke point guard did at Syracuse.

FLJHK 7 years, 11 months ago

Twins: Thanks for being Jayhawks and best of luck in the league. It'll be fun watching your games grow in an environment where they don't call so many ticky-tack fouls.

Hank Cross 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck to them and thanks for all they did. In all honesty Selby should leave too, not because he is ready, but because of the NCAA investigation in to his Vegas trip which will surely take place.

chalmers2wright 7 years, 11 months ago

You think Bill Self would comment publicly about something that was an NCAA violation?

Hank Cross 7 years, 11 months ago

Going to Vegas wasn't the problem. It's who paid for it all, etc. There's nothing to indicate that anything improper happened, but that wouldn't stop a distracting investigation from taking place.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 11 months ago

Since Self seems to have been aware of Josh's plans in advance, I'm sure it was checked out with the NCAA compliance people before Self approved the decision.

JHawk74 7 years, 11 months ago

It's not a violation if Selby or his family paid for the trip. If Selby is in violation than all of the college students in Las Vegas at this camp are in violation. It's okay for Selby to miss class to play KU basketball but not okay to miss class to play basketball in Las Vegas? Basically he is doing a job interview for his future career.

JRandall 7 years, 11 months ago

+1 , also not convinced that Selby really wants to be at KU or any school for that matter. Better to let him chase his dreams and let KU get back to pursuing kids that want to work hard at KU and be apart of something special.

CrodieBroyle 7 years, 11 months ago

I say good they are making the right decision for themselves. Obviously i want every player to stay for four years, but i really can't fault these guys. They had a great 3 years here, and Bill has proven in the past that reloading is not a problem. Selby on the other hand...

niemoth 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck to the twins. I hope Daniels will scratch that Duke visit now, and commits to KU. He'll play a lot a freshman. My guess is that is the only reason why he hadn't committed yet. If Robinson and twins were coming back he wouldn't have played a lot next year. Rock Chalk

MrWalleye2U 7 years, 11 months ago

I read that the twins were flying to LA to talk with agents over the weekend. I guess you two can hope to play on the same team during your NBA career. You will be missed, but not for gotten. Trade Cole from the Thunder to the team that picks Marcus. I will go to more games if they could pull that off. Plus he would be a better fit with Nick then Cole is.

dustfan 7 years, 11 months ago

With all the trades that happen in the NBA draft it's not that hard to imagine they end up w/the same team. Still unlikely ... but you never know.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

Brandon Rush got drafted by the team that had his older brother. They were on the same team for a total of about 3 weeks or something, right?

xfitter 7 years, 11 months ago

Making room for Otto Portor and/or Deandre Daniels, either one will suffice until 2012-13 where we already have one Big committed.

arcticjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm not going to say that we won't miss their point output, but we're better off without their attitudes and immaturity. They better keep that sh*t in check when they get to the next level. Can anyone imagine Markeiff or Marcus talking trash to Dwight Howard??? They're playing with the big boys now! In all seriousness. Good luck to you fellas and congrats! You made it.

Hey T-Rob. Time to hit the gym ya tubby bastard! You've got playing time next year!!

Rock Chalk!

milehighhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

It's the NBA - everyone talks trash. LOL. Seriously. Just google Kevin Garnett for starters.

murph 7 years, 11 months ago

Kevin Garnett has earned the right to talk trash. Rookies haven't.

brooksmd 7 years, 11 months ago

T-Rob??? Tubby??? I won't add the other word as it's totally out of place and dis-respectful.

arcticjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Take it easy...It was OBVIOUSLY a joke brooksmd. A bit sensitive aren't you?

waywardJay 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm a fan for outrageous humor. Dude, that's too far. Considering the loss of his family, calling him a bastard is horrible. Even if you mean it the way I think you mean it. The line was about 6 miles and about three lines ago.

murph 7 years, 11 months ago

Amen! It was absolutely un-called-for AND not the slightest bit funny.

bayareajhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Lighten up, guys. It was obviously a joke. T Rob has about as much fat on his body as Calista Flockhart (slight discrepancy in muscle though).

arcticjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Alright people. I just realized what you're all getting in a tissy about. At first I thought it was just the fact that I called T-Rob "tubby". Then I revisited my comment and realized that your frustration might focused towards the term "bastard". If that word offended you......I apologize, but seriously get a grip. Do you think a person would actually post the word "bastard" in the derogatory sense when talking about a guy like T-Robb? I posted the phrase "ya tubby bastard" in what I felt was a pretty obvious form of flattery. In no way was it meant to poke fun at his family situation. The term "bastard" isn't even relevant to the hardships he and his family faced this year. Get off your pedistal and grab a dictionary before you pass judgment.

bad_dog 7 years, 11 months ago

While I believe you were attempting to be humorous and I "get it", you probably should pick your words more carefully. Not to pile on articj, but IMHO the word you chose was a poor one given the circumstances. You could have just referred to him as "T-Rob, you lard a$$" and served your purposes equally well.

BTW, you're more likely to find the word "pedistal" in the dictionary if you spell it "pedestal".

arcticjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Hi bad_dog. Thanks for the language critique and spelling lesson. While I really like the fact that this bulletin is meant for the free expression of thoughts, I can't believe how sensitive people are. Oh well. I know what I meant and that's good enough for me.

btw, the username is "arctic" not "artic"......I've exhausted the dictionary thing so I won't even bother continuing.

bad_dog 7 years, 11 months ago

arCticj ;-)

This board is indeed meant for the free expression of thoughts. You freely expressed yours, I freely expressed mine in response, as did others. Posting comments that irritate other readers, or something which they may consider offensive is likely to draw expressions of their distaste in response. It doesn't mean you're wrong and they're right. It just means you touched a nerve, that's all-at least from my perspective.

All I can tell you is I read your post and it irritated me, even before I read anyone else's response to you. Yes, you were trying to be funny, but apparently given the responses it didn't play too well, did it? It's not about undue sensitivity or being "PC", it just wasn't particularly funny or apropo-again IMHO.

As for the spelling issue, I usually don't get into that kind of discussion unless there is another reason such as another poster getting a bit haughty. I certainly didn't intend to provide a spelling lesson for you or I would have addressed the other misspelled word as well. I certainly make plenty of errors. When you started referencing other commenters as "getting in a tissy" and telling them to "get off their pedistal", you seemed to be a little over the top. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. It's always hard to discern tone on an internet post. If I was mistaken, I apologize.

arcticjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Good call bad_dog. I'm calling a truce. You are well spoken in the fact that I did open myself to this by expressing my opinion in my own way. Maybe I deserved it, maybe I didn't but defending myself has taken WAY too much of my time over the past couple of days.

To all of you who commented on my use of words.......lets let this rest already and move on. I apologize for what you perceived as offensive.

Cool??

bad_dog 7 years, 11 months ago

Cool by me arcticj. Have a great weekend!

akl6593 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe they can learn how to take cheap shots from you...I don't know how it is OK to slam them and then say good luck.

KU is not better off without them

bbhawk234 7 years, 11 months ago

Completely understand and wish them well....With that being said it is time for our coaching staff to put their game faces on and get to work on the recruiting. Must get some size.

Chad Conover 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Boys for the ride! Hope to see you succeed in the next step of your careers!

ResQd 7 years, 11 months ago

Thank you for a fantastic run! Two of my all-time favorites EVER in Jayhawk history. Enjoyed them immensely. Have a great time and make us prouder.

Ron Franklin 7 years, 11 months ago

So few find their true passion and life long love early in life. Even less are able to make a great living with it. Congrats to both of you guys. Ill watch you the first few months of the season before im reminded why I hate the league. Please don't get in the news for bad things prone to happen with young people w lots of cash. Don't take what you've earned for granted. It can be gone in a hearbeat.

Peace.

chriz 7 years, 11 months ago

And that, Josh Selby, is how you do it. Develop your skills as a Jayhawk and leave with millions virtually guaranteed to you.

Marcus and Markieff, we've enjoyed having you as fellow Jayhawks and wish our guards would have helped you out in the game against the mighty Virginia Commonwealth whatevers. You'll do well in the NBA so long as you work on your defense and keep working on your outside shots.

cklarock 7 years, 11 months ago

Congratulations Marcus and Markieff, you've worked very hard to get where you are, and you'll always be Jayhawks!

Rock Chalk

Hurinfan 7 years, 11 months ago

Guess there goes the promise Marcus made that we would win a national championship while he was here. Thanks for broken promises.

aerohawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I know it wasn't your fault for the double post, but it seemed appropriate here.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 11 months ago

It will be interesting to see how they develop on their seperate paths. We've only seen them as mirror images of themselves. This wiil reveal the true potentials of each as they mature into Marcus and Markieff and will only serve to prove their individual levels of talent and skills. Angel will no doubt be very busy following each of their careers. I wonder if she will remain in the picture for TRob's little sister?

tis4tim 7 years, 11 months ago

Interesting also to think that the first thing they may have done as individuals is to release separate statements declaring their NBA intentions. Considering they have been inseparable since birth, it will be fascinating to watch how their games develop when each others' counterpart is no longer around.

Aligned 7 years, 11 months ago

Congratulations and good luck! I’ve enjoyed watching you guys play at KU.

sarah7725 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm really sad I won't get to watch them play at allen fieldhouse anymore, but I'm looking forward to watching them at the next level. Good luck, boys. I know you'll have a great career. :)

Ian Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

AN education... Speaking of which, where did you get yours? The KCMO school district?

"Greed and cash." -Cash, maybe. But greed? Marcus was Big 12 POY, and Markieff should have been first team Big 12. Face it. The Morri were ready. Self said it himself.

"Let's see how far that gets them." -Probably a heck of a lot further than anything you've done with your life.

Sorry grapes, oletimer.

Ian Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

*sour grapes...

So much for my education, haha. However, sorry grapes sounds rather befitting.

Dan Harris 7 years, 11 months ago

Bet they will make more in their 1st contract then you make in your entire life, jealous much?

IBRONNIEB 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks Guys, you will not be forgotten. Proud to have had you two as Jayhawks. Good luck at the next level.

Viggo3003 7 years, 11 months ago

M$OE always wins out but it is a good move for them at this point. Thanks for the memories.

Tom Flood 7 years, 11 months ago

You guys have been awesome at KU! Best of luck in the NBA! FOE!

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

They are talented and fun to watch; I wish them well. Now can we please get another Big who isn't too 'special' to rebound and defend, who will help TRob, not take plays off, and learn defense like Coach wants. Josh should return to run/shoot with the newbie guards as well as stepped up defense.

Robert Brock 7 years, 11 months ago

Daniels to Duke. Porter to Mizzou. Next?

The_Hinrich_Maneuver 7 years, 11 months ago

No way Daniels goes to Duke.

Duke doesn't develop bigs, they just use them to get rebounds and kick outs for all their guards and swingman to shoot threes.

rwhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Daniels is a 3 more than a 4 and will want to develop into an NBA 3...maybe that's why he thinks he'll go to Duke.

Craig Colgin 7 years, 11 months ago

Probably a good point. I was just curious if the statement was fact or opinion. I haven't found any sources that even point to those options other than Daniels having a scheduled visit with Duke.

KULA 7 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, like they did Grant Hill and Carlos Boozer.

Sam Brockert 7 years, 11 months ago

We have one thing that duke doesn't...Danny Manning, A big would have to be crazy not to pick KU.

ajhk 7 years, 11 months ago

Kyrie Irving included Daniels in the new Duke crop during an interview. Is Irving just trying to nudge Daniels there? It kinda sounded as if he knew Daniels would sign after visiting.

This is where the twins come in. Daniels is done with Texas, thought he was KU bound for sure but then he never made the commit when he had so many opportunities. With the twins gone, I think his interest in KU has spiked again. At least the Twins let us know early.

Duke has quite a class coming that would compete with Daniels. Hope he makes the right choice.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

I know I will get slammed for this but here goes..If I was a 'big', Kansas is my first choice if a position is available. But if I am a guard...probably not.

JRandall 7 years, 11 months ago

Good Luck Twins and thanks for all the W's and hard work. Wish we could have hoisted a banner with ya and given u a good Sr. night, but best of luck.

P.S. Please take Selby with ya! I think most of Jayhawk nation loves and respects the 2 of u, but pretty over Selby.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 11 months ago

Please don't speak for me when you bad-mouth Selby. I don't believe you speak for "most of Jayhawk nation" either.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 11 months ago

from a basement in philly with no heat to the nba! thanks for everything twins!

RockChalk26 7 years, 11 months ago

It was great watching you guys in a KU uniform. Good luck next year! F.O.E.

kubballjunkie 7 years, 11 months ago

Well crap. Selfishly, I was hoping they would be back. I thought that them not wanting to be apart, combined with the impending lock out would make them decide to play one more year. I know people like to crush on these guys for leaving early, but the bottom line is 99% of us would probably do the same thing. Problem is, it's never going to be a decision that most of us have to face, and I don't think you can truly know what it's like until that money is waved under your nose. If everybody would just come back, we would have been unbeatable next year!!

On that note...I sure feel sorry for the coaching staff - as if it isn't hard enough to recruit, now you can't even depend on kids staying 4 years. That's gotta be such a headache!

One final thought - the loss to VCU was devastating, BUT we have to remember that not much was expected of this team before the season began. I mean, if you had told me after the UNI loss "don't worry - next year you'll go 35-3, win the B12 again, and make the elite 8" I would've laughed in your face! Heck of a job coaches, heck of a job!

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm not crushing on the twins. Are you?

I mean, yeah, I liked to watch them play ball. But no crush.

Brad Avery 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, Bill, now you won't have to teach them to hustle back on defense and to shoot free throws. Perhaps there are some players still available who have mastered those 6th grade basketball skills.

milehighhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Best of luck, Twins. You were two of my favorite players to watch develop at KU over the past few decades. Continue the hard work and you'll have nothing but success at the next level.

Alan Mills 7 years, 11 months ago

First, I'll say that I was wrong on this. I truly thought they would return with hopes of a Championship. Still, cannot hold this against them. Marcus is headed towards a solid NBA career. He demonstrated this year that he can play with his back to the basket or 25 feet away. Markieff may still have some work to do on his handles, but he can certainly shoot it and play back to the basket. I think it would be great if they found their way to the same team at some point. Good luck!

Rock Chalk

Alohahawk 7 years, 11 months ago

With the twins leaving it will look all the better if/when KU does well next season. It will all depend on the recruits we have yet to sign, and how well all of them absorb Self's defense and gel with those who are returning. A lot of the offense has graduated or is leaving with the twins. KU will need everyone to fill that very large void. That could be attractive to recruits. It will also put a heavy emphasis on defense.

At least the twins didn't draw out the wait before announcing. This helps Self immensely when it comes to recruiting. Everyone now knows who will be here (except in Selby's case), and who the established players are.

Good luck with the draft, and in the league, guys. And thanks for the past three years.

Now, time to check where we stand with the remaining recruits on the recruiting boards.

Laurence Cooley 7 years, 11 months ago

good luck guys! i know both of you will do great and i know that right now a few gm's are trying to figure out how to draft both of them.

hope all the best for you both and thanks for everything!

100 7 years, 11 months ago

Well that just changed the dynamics of the Madison Square Garden game.

Withey it's time to go one on one against Robinson everyday.

We love you here; your time is here. It's time to get pumped up & work on some Danny Manning moves & if you're not ready for that we'll settle for some good old fashioned jams & squish the air out of the ball rebounds. Keep the ball up brother. Own it. It's yours.

No one in Madison Square Garden will be able to stop you if you work hard this summer.

Confidence, confidence, confidence.....

Own it!!!!!

Rock Chalk Jeff Withey!

Layne Pierce 7 years, 11 months ago

We are all forgetting that at Late Night Mr. Wesley (who is a half-brother to Keith Langford, looked like a player.) Getting Ben was essential and Withey can't be any worse, in other words he should be better. TRob will step up even more. If he comes back, I predict now that Selby will be all-conference. Seriously though. I think we should look at the Big picture. The twins had a lot of scrapes with authority. A lot of trash, a lot of cheap shots, that was not KU. I think that next year we will not win 30 games, however, by the end of the year, if we get growth, including improvement from Releford, whose injury really hurt us this year, then look out. Bill Self is a coach who can put it together, and he will. If Selby goes, then maybe it all starts anew. You can't win 30+ every year, or can we?

Craig Colgin 7 years, 11 months ago

I thought someone said Wesley was going to redshirt this season?

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 11 months ago

I hadn't heard that either. It doesn't seem likely that he would redshirt next year after sitting out all of last year due to transfer.

Layne Pierce 7 years, 11 months ago

Haven't seen that. If he does, that could hurt.

tis4tim 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks, gentlemen, for a fun three years. Best of luck to you both in the NBA. May your dreams all be realized.

Now, let the intrigue commence as the rest of the dominoes start to fall into place.

JimmyJoeBob 7 years, 11 months ago

I dont blame them one bit. Good luck in the NBA you two. Fiancially it is time for you guys to go. Suck it up KU fans if this was your son or brother you would want them to go also. College is about preparing someone to go out and get a job. They are ready, Be happy for them

addlime 7 years, 11 months ago

Probably the right decision. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems like the agent was part of the decision process. I just don't like or trust these agents. These guys should make the decision on campus, with the coaching staff and their families. Instead they were in hollywood being wooed by some sketchy agent. Kind of sits weird with me.

That being said, I'm very happy for them. I wish them all the best and thank them for playing for my favorite team!

railer20 7 years, 11 months ago

Grow up DB...they have a real family to take care of and that's more important that pleasing you. I don't think it was even a question...if it were me I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

rwhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Go KU guards and TRob! Its time for a second Danny and a miracle (chenowithey).

jayhawkbymarriage 7 years, 11 months ago

Best of luck to them both. I hope they have great careers. They will always be Jayhawks to me.

Justin Lindsley 7 years, 11 months ago

No surprise. Unfortunate though. I bet sometime around Jan.-Feb. of next year when the grind really starts kicking in and they don't have each other to lean on, they will be thinking about what might have been. They are close to each other. They had one more year to live together and hang out with each other. They will not have that oppurtunity again. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF THEM. Thanks for the hard work and outstanding play.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

Yea .. and then they'll click on their bank account and be a bit less sentimental .. just my guess.

rednalost 7 years, 11 months ago

Tyrel Reed went 131-17 in four seasons, so how did the Morris twins go 95-17 in three?

Jesse Newell 7 years, 11 months ago

Good catch. The Morris twins were actually 95-14. It's been fixed above.

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

Actually the Twins went 95 - 14. Freshman : 27 - 8 Soph : 33 - 3 Jun : 35 - 3

redlegger 7 years, 11 months ago

Thank you Markieff!

Thank you Marcus!

Thank you Angel!

We'll miss you all!

Good luck and God bless!

FOE!!!!!!!!!

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

Glad to see them go, but in a good way. They made the right decision.

These guys should be the example that coach Self points to when recruiting big men. Raw freshmen, out of control, .. then top 20 NBA picks. Recruits want to play in the NBA. It is a huge selling point. I just can't imagine why top big guys would not be standing in line to come here.

The Morrises, Kaun, Jackson, Arthur, Aldrich, .. TRob is next. Great path to the NBA.

GabrielMichael 7 years, 11 months ago

Thank you Marcus and Markieff! We are proud of you! You are always welcome at Allen Fieldhouse!

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

Why do so many people think Daniels is a big ???????? He is a wing, he only weighs 191 pounds. To put that in perspective Tyrel Reed weighs 193 pounds and he is only 6'3", DD is in the 6'7" - 6'8" range. Porter is the same way, 6'9" and 200 pounds, another wing. Im not saying Self wont play them at the 4 ala Mario/Travis, but even those two outweigh Porter and Daniels. I expect now that the twins announced their departure, we will sign Anderson and Traylor who are bigs. I also dont see us signing both Porter and Daniels, mostly because of the McLemore signing, but I think we have a good shot at one of them. It would be great to sign them both and theres nothing wrong with hoping, but I just dont see it with the players already on the roster. The open pt isnt there at the wing position. As far as the Morris Twins, thanks for 3 great years guys, good luck, we will be watching ! FOE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig Colgin 7 years, 11 months ago

I understand your point. And I agree. I think the reason that people call him a big is that he is listed on the recruiting boards as a Forward.

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 11 months ago

If someone had come along and offered me a few millions bones to skip my senior year on the Hill, I can say without reservation that my friends would have gotten the news via postcard I'd have been gone so quickly!!! Still sucks tough... Good luck, fellas. I suppose the optimistic way for 'Hawk fans to look at this is that Selby just fell two more spots in the draft!!!

stm62 7 years, 11 months ago

You brought us alot of joy. Good luck twins!

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, I had a feeling the Twins were going to declare. In the back of my mind though, I thought there would be a small chance both would come back for one more year. Any good former basketball player and/or coach on any level could tell that Marcus was definitely ready. He was making NBA moves against Texas in the Big 12 Championship game. Markieff really came on late. His stock went way up toward the end of the Conference schedule. Best of luck, guys! It has been a great ride at KU. Now, the question is, "Who is Self going after to replace the Twins? And, what miracles does Danny Manning have left in his pocket when the Jayhawks sign the next big or bigs?

I will stay tuned.

Greg McKean 7 years, 11 months ago

Right time to go for them .... Should have won at least one Championship ..... I was getting sick of their behavior and I don't have to look at there whiney gameface .... they will do well

Phogz 7 years, 11 months ago

Hope you guys find a way to be on the same team, best of luck Marky Mo & KEEEEEF!

Jayandseahawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Rock Chalk, the Twins walk the walk...to the bank! Couldn't happen to a nicer pair of Jayhawks...I hope they get a chance to post up Paul Pierce, and see the battle of the Jayhawks at the next level.

dynamitehawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I will admit that I could never tell the two apart. Seriously. That's the only reason why I'm glad they are leaving. Otherwise these are two really cool threads in the fabric of the history of this program.

Yes, a reasonable person would say: look, memorize their numbers... but I've already got too many numbers to remember, and usually I'm KUWells tipsy by tip-off. Seriously, can't tell them apart, which is maddening, plus the tats are the same too, for the love of God.

Professionally, I'm at the top of my game. I think I've come close to my earning potential and that, my friends, is nowhere near 1st Round NBA money. I'm really only several blackjack hands in the eyes of Michael Jordan money. Lock out or not - let's not forget that the twins would kick much @ss as double mint twins. Hell, I'd start chewing that gum if they endorse it.

Fun watching you both. Time to reload. If you love us keep coming back, recruit like Vince Carter does, and make a ton of money.

dy-o-mite Gonna miss the b

xfitter 7 years, 11 months ago

I agree about Portor and Daniels, don't think we will get both but I do think we will get one of them. I forgot about Traylor but if we can snag him and one of those other two we could be lookin good. Hudy can put weight on anyone, if Withey can stay healthy and Wesley does work in the weight room they could be monsters underneath and take some of the load off T-Rob. Even the incoming freshman could put on another 10-15# before next season. We'll be super long, quick and fast could spell out for better defensive efficiency.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Im simply disgusted at how many Selby haters have come out, even on this board. The kid goes to Vegas to gauge what they are saying, maybe even learn some stuff to improve his game for us, and many just turn on him bashing him. Yes it would be dumb for him to leave for the NBA but he hasnt chose yet. Let the kid choose before you hang him. The kids roof is unbelievable, he needs to stay. Turning on him just makes many of look like idiots.

jhawkmatt 7 years, 11 months ago

Smart decision MechaMorris... you guys played phenomenally in three years. Other schools would kill to have records like 35-3, 33-3, 27-8 AND multiple consecutive conference trophies. You will be missed. On a side note, I think as KU fans we get a bit complacent with how well they annually perform and we tend to expect perfection at all times. Nobody is perfect. I hope Selby comes back and destroys the Big12 with TRob and TT. Selby will snap out of his funk just like all freshmen do and hopefully prove all doubters wrong. Nothing wrong with optimism. :) Can't wait for another amazing season from HCBS! Rock Chalk!

p3pp3rd1n3 7 years, 11 months ago

+1. love the twins, and they will be very good in the nba. if selby comes back, he will improve his draft stock tremendously.

jhawkmatt 7 years, 11 months ago

totally agree on Selby.. TRob is going to be a monster when he gets more minutes... I predict now leading the Big12 in rebounding! If you look at his stats they are very close to the same production as each of the twins, just with less playing time. I hope McLemore is a Russell Robinson type player who shoots 45% from 3pt range... we really need another solid guard.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

If he's playing alongside Withey he'll probably lead the nation in rebounding, because he'll outmatch the opposing team's PF 95% of the time. If he's matching up with the opposing team's Center then he may just lead the conference in rebounding.

jmartens007 7 years, 11 months ago

Dumb move. What's the point of declaring for the Draft when there is a 99% chance that there is going to be a NBA lock-out next season. The season (and the paychecks) won't start until maybe Janaury 2012 at the earliest...if they play at all next season. If the Morris brothers are not going to get paid next season, then they might as well stay at KU and gain more skills working with DManning another year. What else are they going to do next year? Take out a high-interest loan on their future earnings? Bad idea. Might as well come back to Lawrence for a year and be the best front-court of all time. KU can take out a $2 million insurance policy for them.

Ed Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

No pay, no practice, no conditioning...half a season. Glad to see they decided early but I hope their decision pans out.

RockCaCO3 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck men. Enjoyed watching you play at KU

Rock Chalk.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

I have to admit, I was a little rough on Selby. Like Hawk90 said, "he hasn't chose yet."

jhawkmatt---good post, and, I am in full agreement with you! Rock Chalk!

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 11 months ago

We have been spoiled by our deep bench in recent years. We do however, have a good nucleus of players in TRob, TT, EJ, Travis, Withey, and hopefully Josh. With some luck we can quickly bring along McLemore and Tharpe as well as the likes of Daniels, Anderson, Porter, et al and we will be good to go!

Tyler Bruce 7 years, 11 months ago

For all those haters.. Both KU fans, which im SHOCKED at for yet another season, and those who are not that decide to post.. Marcus and Markieff were true JAYHAWKS in every sense of the word. They came in immature and unpolished (like most freshman).. worked hard for what they achieved and became true leaders. Since the summer between their freshman and sophomore years, they have exemplified what it means to be a JAYHAWK.. the work ethic, the leadership, and the ability. They not only earned, but deserved our support in the next phase of their careers. Do we wish they would come back and share in senior night? Of course.. but let's not hate.

Remember.. we don't rebuild.. we RELOAD (clishe? YES!... true? DO DOUBT)

ROCK CHALK

John Sheehan 7 years, 11 months ago

+1...just posted similar thought - you hit it on the head.

John Sheehan 7 years, 11 months ago

It's amazing to think about how far these guys came from the struggles of their Freshman year to now being first round prospects as Juniors. Congratulations to both for working your butts off to get the payoff you wanted - you've earned your success.

Selfishly I wish they would've stayed. But we will re-load and compete at the highest level without them, just like we always do. That's Kansas basketball...

utahjayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck Cus and Kief. Don't forget to write.

John Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

Looks like T-Rob is the man of the house. Good luck to the Morris Bros. I enjoyed watching y'all play for Kansas. I will cheer for you at the pro level. Let's hope that Self hits a grand-slam in recruiting. We look rather small right now.

Jabberhawky 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry to see the twins go -- but I'm not at all surprised. They're as ready as they'll ever be and I wish them nothing but the best.

Now, for the next most pressing question:

Any chance we can get Momma Morris to stay?

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

perhaps the boys will buy her a house in Lawrence. If one ends up on the East Coast, and one on the West, they can just meet in the middle.

Andrew Dunlap 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm happy for the twins. They helped our program and our prgram helped them. They are leaving at the right time. I wish them the best!

jchawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

I would like to thank the twins for their time and effort they gave KU basketball. I enjoyed watching them and wish them luck. I will admit there was some times during their freshmen year they drove me crazy. But in my opinion they are more NBA ready than anyone from KU in recent memory. RCJH!!!! F.O.E.

JHAWKNPHX 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck boys!! I hope one of you get signed by the Suns. RCJHK

aplanojayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I have a twin brother. And maybe that's why I enjoyed watching Markieff and Marcus play basketball so much. I may be biased. But it was so much fun to see them dish the ball to each other like they knew where the other was before any of us did. And to see them pop that three from the top of the key. It just put a smile to my face every time.

I had a feeling they wouldn't be back, and it's probably the best decision for each of them. They are each ready for the NBA and all that it offers. And when they're on different teams, hopefully it won't be about who is better than the other. But about what each brings to their team.

I'm very proud that Marcus and Markieff are a part of the history of the University of Kansas.

Bob Forer 7 years, 11 months ago

Momma's gotta eat. Good luck guys. Was loads of fun.

boswell171 7 years, 11 months ago

With all of the comments about the 11' starters, why don't more recognise the potential of Releford? He has done all that has been asked and more. Maybe it is a KC bias, but he has the potential to be a big contribuotor to the Hawks.

Ed Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

His injury will never allow him to be 100% again. He won't be explosive on the first step or jumping for rebounds but he will still be great for the team.

Robert Rauktis 7 years, 11 months ago

"Duff ...ummmm!" -Homer Simpson

Has anyone broken the news that they might not get to play together?

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

I believe that you mean, "D'Oh!" Duff is beer.

HawkKlaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Derrrrp! (I'm sure they realize there's a good chance they won't be playing together next year. They aren't infants, you know.) Derrrp!

mojayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't know if we've ever had players more physically and mentally tough, ready for the NBA. What a pleasure it has been watching Marcus and Kief improve exponentially the past 3 seasons. What a pleasure watching the Twins read each other's minds and play together. We may never see chemistry like that again.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, and best of luck in the League! As little as I follow the NBA, if you guys end up on the same team, I'll be a huge fan. I hope it happens one day soon!

burnedout 7 years, 11 months ago

Have you ever even WATCHED these two? Yeah, that mental toughness comes out everytime they throw an elbow or mouth off and get a T. You're being sarcastic, right? Please say yes.

s6u6r6f 7 years, 11 months ago

Best of luck to them. Glad they were with us. They'll probably make more money than I did when I graduated some many years ago. Enjoy, twins, enjoy.

burnedout 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck M's - it's been a blast having you here the past 3 years. I can't help but feel a little sad that, while you'll both be making a ton of money, you'll really miss out on your only chance at being basketball legends. You could have made an everlasting name for yourselves at KU - it won't happen in the pros. Ever wonder what would have happened if Danny Manning had gone pro before he graduated? There would have been no "Danny and the Miracles", no 1988 National Championship and many of the records that he holds would be held by someone else. He would be remembered by KU fans as that really nice guy with a lot of potential who went pro, blew out his knee and was never heard from again.

hawkitup 7 years, 11 months ago

You mean, kinda like Paul Pierce? He left after three years and didn't win a championship at KU. I think he's pretty much made a name for himself in the NBA and will forever be recognized as one of the best Jayhawks. I see no reason why one of the Morris twins (in my opinion Marcus) couldn't do the same thing. Don't be so short sighted.

burnedout 7 years, 11 months ago

The difference is - Paul Pierce is GOOD.

hawkitup 7 years, 11 months ago

Check the stats:

Paul Pierce (Jr. Season): MPG PPG FG% 3FG% RPG APG
30.4 20.4 51.3 34.5 6.7 2.6

Marcus Morris (Jr. Season): MPG PPG FG% 3FG% RPG APG 28.3 17.2 57 34 7.6 1.6

I'm failing to see much of a difference. Marcus averages 3 less points while playing two minutes less than Pierce did. I think it is HIGHLY possible that Marcus could do what Pierce has done.

burnedout 7 years, 11 months ago

You're kind of missing the point hawkitup - I'm not suggesting that the twins arent' good ball players, they obviously are. What I was trying to say is that had they stayed another year they would have possibly (probably) had four straight Conference championships, a legitimate shot at National Champs, the two of them COULD have been All-Americans together and the list goes on and on. Twenty years from now they would have probably mentioned in the same breath as Danny Manning, Wilt Chamberlain, Jo Jo White and yes, Paul Pierce. It's not a big deal to me that kids jump to the pros to make a boatload of money - it's that I really like the Morris twins and would have loved to see them stay four years and enjoy college and go down in KU history as two of the greatest Jayhawks of all time. Right now, they are two fun guys that play ball really well, but I think history will prove that they will be not be revered like some of the above mentioned.

KansasComet 7 years, 11 months ago

Kansas University Basketball will be fine, just like we have for nearly the last 30 years. Good players come and go. That's why Kansas is on a lot of outstanding basketball players list of school they want to attend. Thanks Morris Twins, I wish you nothing but the best, and I will cheer for you in the NBA!

SaulGood 7 years, 11 months ago

Not a surprise, but this did take a little bit of a poop on my Friday.

Congrats, guys. Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin'.

Kevin Huffman 7 years, 11 months ago

I think the key player should Selby NOT come back next season is Elijah. I've been a huge fan & COULD see HUGE things from him NEXT YEAR - IF Selby declares.

Even if Selby comes back I think he'll be the first one off the bench to spell Taylor, Selby, McLemore or Releford....whoever starts at the 1,2, or 3 and see HUGE minutes.

Him and Releford have been the best defensive players we've had since '08. We were starting to see some of that from Taylor at the end of the year too.

hawkitup 7 years, 11 months ago

Anyone else a little nervous about our schedule next year?

Kentucky Ohio State Maui Invitational Plus, two conference games against Texas and every other Big 12(10) school that wants to take shots at KU on what may be viewed by others as a "down" year (I don't think we will be down, but it seems like that is always the perception when we lose our top scorer(s))

burnedout 7 years, 11 months ago

Why would a KU fan be nervous about that schedule? If you'll notice, we actually play well against "good" teams and tend to disappear against "lesser" teams. If anything we should be excited that a "tough" schedule will keep our players motivated.

SaulGood 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm excited for it. Good teams will exploit our weaknesses, giving us some valuable info on how we can improve early on. This kind of schedule is what's going to make us a much stronger force at the end of the season. I'm willing to watch KU take some lumps early on with guys like Self and Manning steering us through making the right adjustments.

bayareajhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

It will be great experience for the players who play in all of those games. Remember last time we were in Maui? Rush, Chalmers, etc. were freshmen and couldn't even get the ball up the court against Arizona. By the end of that season they were Big XII Champs.

I'm excited to see the team get tested as much as possible. I like this aggressive scheduling and I want to see more of it in the future.

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

absolutely. So maybe we lose 5 or 6 games early on. Heck, there will be plenty of film for the players to watch all year long. The best thing about it is that early in the year coach Self is still trying to figure out his lineup, so hopefully lots of guys will get experience against top level competition before we get to the new Big 12 Schedule.

And don't forget that we have to play a much more difficult Big 12 Schedule next year with the round robin schedule. Texas will still be tough. Texas A&M will still be good. OSU will be much improved with Nash coming in. The Red Raiders will be re-energized under Gillispie. And we don't get the automatic wins against Nebraska and Colorado.

Next year will be quite the test. The Coaches have their work cut out for them. There're no guarantees that we win the Big 12 or even make the NCAA field.

Sally Presson 7 years, 11 months ago

I knew this day was coming, I'm so sad to see them go. Absolutely loved watching them play. I do wish you guys the very best and we'll be watching you play wherever you go, I do hope it's together. You are a joy to watch and we're proud you were Jayhawks!!! Once a Jayhawk Always a Jayhawk!!! Is Angel leaving Lawrence too? Isn't she the unofficial Mom of the team? Thanks for all you've done for the boys, Angel and especially Thomas. You pulled him through some really rough stuff.

Steve Brown 7 years, 11 months ago

Twins: great to watch you mature and improve and develop. Thanks to your hard work, we salute you, and wish you well. Rock Chalk Forever.

yates33333 7 years, 11 months ago

They should have good careers. They remind me a lot of Dwight Gooden. Strong offensive players and a bit lesser in the defensive area.

yates33333 7 years, 11 months ago

I've slept a few times since Gooden played at KU. Thanks for the correction. I did pick the same losers you picked for the final four.

Joel Hood 7 years, 11 months ago

Or perhaps you meant Dwight Howard...
(probably not)

joeloveshawks 7 years, 11 months ago

The correct and easy decision for these guys to make. Really enjoyed watching them.

We are losing a lot of starters. Who starts for us next year...assuming Selby is back. This would be a really small lineup, but may be the guys who play the most.

TT Selby T Rob Releford EJ

HawkKlaw 7 years, 11 months ago

I think McLemore has a (small) chance of starting, especially if Selby leaves. And I think Bill Self will recruit another starter for the post spot (I don't think Withey is going to cut it). So I think the starters will look something like this:

1 - Tyshawn 2 - Selby 3 - Releford 4 - ??? 5 - TRob (this season he usually backed up Markieff at the 5 spot, so I think that's where he will play next season)

Backups: 1 - Elijah (Naadir may get a few minutes here too) 2 - ??? (Maybe Teahen or a new recruit) 3 - McLemore 4 - ??? 5 - Withey

HawkKlaw 7 years, 11 months ago

How could I forget Royce? He's a natural scorer! If Selby leaves, Royce could be starting at the 2 spot; on the other hand, if Selby stays, Royce will probably be backing him up at the 2 spot. Can't believe I forgot about Royce!

Joe Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

HawkKlaw- Don't forget Justin Wesley 6-8,9 230 ish, practiced against the twins and knows the system, a great Late Night showing, sat out as transfer- The guy is Langford's brother.

He practiced with the twins and I'm sure plays pickup with his KLang and friends? I really think he'll be a huge help with our bigs.

HawkKlaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! I had forgotten all about him (maybe I should take a gander at the roster when I'm posting...). I even saw him in the Underground yesterday. Any brother of Keith Langford's is okay by me! I'm sure he will definitely help down low. I still think we could use one or two more forward/center types, but yes, I think Wesley will definitely help next year.

ku_foaf 7 years, 11 months ago

Not a surprise. All comments Bill Self made recently pretty much indicated he was expecting this to be the case. Good Luck to both of them, and thanks for the memories.

LJ Gee 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck guys, wish you could have come back but I totally understand. The Rockets have 3 first round picks this year, I REALLY hope they take you both. A guy can dream cant he

Jonathan Allison 7 years, 11 months ago

amen, brother!

Lets petition the Rockets to snag these guys. Marcus plays a lot like Scola only with a little perimeter game, too. And Chuck Wagon is a solid player with good skills, but he's way too small to be a starting big man in the League.

The twins bring more to the table than Patrick Patterson, Jordan Hill, and Hasheem Thabeet.

BCRavenJHawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

The only thing I have trouble with in all this is the particular agent hired. Does anyone know anything about that guy?

HawkKlaw 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the memories, Marcus and Markieff! This season was really fun to watch, mainly because of the twins. They were solid all year. I'm gonna miss seeing them hang out at Wescoe beach when the weather's nice! Like I said in previous posts, they've earned the right to be in the NBA. They are far more developed than most players entering the draft nowadays, and despite the fact that there will be a lockout in the NBA, the twins will still make millions and will get drafted fairly early in the draft.

I'm sure Bill already has his recruiting shoes on. Obviously, we're going to need at least a couple big guys. We're pretty solid with TRob and Withey, but we need some depth in the post. IMO, we don't really need any perimeter players. I suppose if Selby goes pro we could use another guy at the 2 spot, but even if we don't add anyone else we're still deeper than most teams with Tyshawn, Elijah, Releford, McLemore, Royce, Naadir and Teahen. We've got plenty of good guards; I just hope one or two of them can embrace the roll of being a clutch outside shooter (something I think we sorely needed both this season and last season...its not good when Markieff leads the team in 3 pt %). These next few weeks are going to be exciting for KU fans!

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

Can't wish them anything but good luck. Glad to see they decided together and are at peace with their future plans.

A lot of younger players could learn a lot from the twins, staying 3 years and getting better each year spent at school and really getting their names known on a national stage.

Perhaps the NBA and NCAA should use it as a rule, you can either go pro right out of high school or you stay in college for a full 3 years. Just like they do in baseball and all football players must be 3 years out of high school before entering the draft. Then again the NBA is not interested in helping gets get better, just its own bottom line. They don't care if someone gets hosed along the way and ends up on a "Where are they now" piece in 20 years.

Not worried about KU basketball with the loss of the twins, lots of talent on the roster already and coach Self and Co. will add more.

To Marcus and Markief, thank you for a wonderful three years, you made it a great reason to be a Jayhawk. Just remember you are Jayhawks For Life(J.F.L.)

REHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the memories, Twins. You worked hard to develop your game and get the most out of the Hudy/Manning/Self experience. Will miss you at senior night, but there is little doubt that your mult-millions will offset that personal opportunity for each of you. Best of luck in the big league. Someday an enterprising general manager will opt to secure your combined talents, I predict. Hope to see you return often to Lawrence. You have provided much joy for Jayhawk fans since that Michigan State game your freshman season.

BCRavenJHawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks. Kind of the "Howdy Doody" of agents.

celestep1 7 years, 11 months ago

Good luck to the twins and their mom. They all deserve an easier road than the one that brought them this far. I will miss the twins. They had a lot of spunk and it was fun to watch their antics on and off the court.

keith horinek 7 years, 11 months ago

We will be very guard oriented next year. I see TT, Selby, McLemore, Johnson, Robinson as starters. We will be small, but in the years with Cole we played with one big and did ok.

theend 7 years, 11 months ago

I feel completely indifferent about this. That's how college basketball works. I would love to see players stay all 4 years.......but those days are long gone.

This was probably the right decision for them.......but not for KU.

KU could still have a chance to be pretty good next year, though. Think about it......TT,EJ,T-Rob,Releford,Withey......not too shaby.

Jason Montgomery 7 years, 11 months ago

1) who will talk trash and get in pregame fights now that the Morrii are gone?

2) Tyrel will be out of action for 2 to 4 weeks. Out of action from what?

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

"Double your pleasure, double the paycheck. Twins head for NBA"

"With the graces of an Angel, mom allows twins to leave KU."

"Self preservation, KU coach on recruiting trail to fill void left by Twins."

"Morris Twins separated from KU, head to NBA"

"NBA in for double dose of Morrii, Morris Twins declare for draft"

"Twins in Minnesota, Timberwolves draft both Marcus and Markief"

David Howell 7 years, 11 months ago

The only way the Twins end up together is if Markief never gets drafted and an NBA team is willing to try and have two decent players on their team with questionable attitudes, poor free throw shooting and defense. Without a lot of hardwork and luck, neither of them sees much court time in their first 2 to 3 years. How will they handle that ? Are they really mature enough to work on their game once the cash starts flowing in ?? What if one plays minutes and the other never sees the floor ?

theend 7 years, 11 months ago

Bradynsdad-Are you "Patroling" the board today? Looking for negative comments and criticism that must be immediately attacked and denied?

When did you join the KU Thought Police?

How dare anybody be critical or voice an opinion that is remotely critical!!! Thank your your service, Comrade! You will receive extra rations!!

Viggo3003 7 years, 11 months ago

I love the thought police personally. I don't have to think about what things mean or what my opinion is or why I think it. I don't have to listen to what others have to say and wonder why they might say it or what their perspective is. Just listen to the thought police and they will do all that for me.

It's really a very weightless existence, like an angel.

See the happy moron, he doesn't give a damn. I wish I were I moron. My God, I think I am!

And all thanks to the thought police :)

justahawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Kansas is a great place to live...Kansas basketball will always be great to watch...

gchawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I just wish for the very best for the Morris brothers and to say thanks for your hard work and dedication. As someone pointed out before, at Kansas we don't rebuild, we reload!!

Kevin Huffman 7 years, 11 months ago

I could see Marcus getting drafted by either the Hawks or the Grizzlies and how funny that would be as both teams have former Jayhawks (Hawks have Hinrich and Grizzlies have Arthur).

Markieff will go a little bit lower...but not much...maybe to like the Nuggets or even the Magic.

With all these guys NOT coming out...maybe they end up in the middle of the 1st round with some of these teams not quite making the playoffs like the Rockets or such.

Scott Smetana 7 years, 11 months ago

Can't blame the twins... Jayhawks for life.

I blame the stupid NBA. Why do they pay these developing players big bucks to sit the bench? Wouldn't it be in the NBA's interest to see which ones develop the most in college? How has Cole earned his million bucks this year?

Not to mention what the cost is to the players... one extra year of real coaching, structured life, real friends, education, etc.

PS - 90% of NBA games stink. And of the 10% of ones that are 'decent', only the last 5 minutes does anybody care.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 11 months ago

You been reading my posts? I've been saying the same thing all year. For a point of comparison go back to the 80's and look at the 85-90 team schedules. It was a really good schedule.

boswell171 7 years, 11 months ago

Games against DII schools like Emporia and Washburn are not actuall regular season games. They do more for the in state DII schools than KU, but are not a retarding agent to the season. I do agree with the Wichita St. games.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

Agree with most of your post, and your underlying premise. But I'm not sure playing the right schedule is the issue.

You said, "We concentrate way too much on winning out from November through February in order to gain a 1-seed in March, instead of playing the right schedule that will help prepare us for March."

I would change that to "We concentrate way too much on winning out from November through February in order to gain a 1-seed in March, instead of permitting players to develop to properly prepare us for March.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 11 months ago

I understand these kids wanting to leave, but where is the competitive drive anymore? Why wouldn't you want to stick around and try to win a championship? Instead they leave and the legacy of their career is UNI and VCU. Another year of resolve and focus and determination means next years team is a NC favorite. Instead, it's semi-rebuilding mode.

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

The drive is for money, has been since Jordan and the Bulls won their first title. It's about self promotion and getting the biggest dollar, rather than winning now in college basketball.

That is one reason mid-majors win a lot of tournament games, they have seniors, they have continuity, they take advantage of guys who want to bolt as soon as they can for the cash. It is becoming the same way in football too now, look at TCU and Boise St., they have a lot of seniors in the skill positions and they take advantage of younger secondaries and rattle the younger minds they are facing.

It's great when you get a guy to stay four years, but it is also a double edge sword at a school like Kansas or UNC. If they leave early they miss out on big things, if they stay, well are they good enough to make into the league? And what happens if they don't win it all? Is their career marred by it?

Money is the key factor and that is what they drive for. Money.

No matter how you look at it, the Morris Twins are Jayhawks For Life(J.F.L.)

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

It will never happen, although with a new CBA in the league whenever they're able to agree on it, it is expected that they are going to implement the same rule as in college fb, if you sign on with a university, you have to go to school atleast 3 years before you can be eligible to be drafted. I think that will make both the college game and the NBA a better product imo. Hopefully they follow through and its implemented.

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

The catch is can they still go over to Europe and play?

Will they then have to only wait a year or play three years over seas and get really good or just sit on a bench, since the game is a lot different from the high school game here.

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

Not sure, but I would imagine an age limit will be implemented along with it just for that reason, but who knows. Will be interesting to say the least.

David Howell 7 years, 11 months ago

If Cal-i-Sleazy put his name out there for the NBA its because he is either (1) feeling the heat from the NCAA from all his infractions or knows something bad is coming down sooner then later on him, or (2) all of his infractions have the Kentucky big-dogs breathing down his neck to clean his act up.

After all he can only blame so much for so long on his assistants. The whole world knows he's driving the bus on everything going on ....................

Dale Kroening 7 years, 11 months ago

This doesnt sound good about DD and his chances of becoming a Jayhawk :

It doesn’t even take much reading between the lines there to come to the conclusion that Daniels may be headed for Durham soon. The elite Class of 2011 small forward is currently playing at IMG Academy in Florida. Daniels is ranked in the top 35 of the 2011 class by Scout.com and in the top 10 by Rivals.

Just for some perspective, Daniels’ recruitment has had all sorts of twists and turns. He originally committed to Texas in the summer of 2009. But more than a year later, Daniels opened things back up. Later, things seemed to accelerate at different points with Kentucky and Kansas. Yet now Duke seems to have the inside track, which would be no big surprise considering the number of connections the Blue Devils have at IMG.

The basketball director at IMG is Andy Borman, who played at Duke from 2000-04. The director of basketball operations meanwhile is Greg Spatola, who is the brother of Chris Spatola, who is both Duke’s director of basketball operations and Mike Krzyzewski’s son-in-law. Got that all processed yet?

To make a long story short, everything seems to be lined up in Duke’s favor at this point. And who knows? Based on what Irving hinted, the Daniels to Duke decision may already be done.

Joe Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

cap10d- This is interesting reading and does make sense. A little to bold and forward on Daniels' behalf. It's not over until Daniels announces his final choice. If you read some of his comments after he left ut, he wanted his next decision to be extremely thorough. He just wants to make sure when he decides. I really think the twins leaving will help him make his final decision. Both programs are equal. It's just a matter of which program is best for him. Coach K is unfortuantely one of the few coaches that rivals KU's coaches with developing both guards and bigs. I really think DD and BMac could be the next Chalmers-Rush tandem. Dook will be loaded and that loading has been KU's curse with so many recruits. I think now DD will be one more talented player on a team of extremely talented incoming players. He will be another fish in the pond at dook. He comes to KU, he has the chance to become one of the best players on the team and will actually get some pt. I think he sits the bench at dook, a lot. Don't think he will be the marquee player at dook.

Irving is speaking out of line and doesn't know what he's talking about.

He'll say anything in his situation.

DoctorJones 7 years, 11 months ago

Just stumbled onto this bit of news via www.fetchheadlines.com. Not happy to see them go...but like the man says, got to go when it's time to go. Good luck to the both of 'em!

Joe Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

We all know what you are trying to say but I don't think they'll regret the ability to make millions in the long run. Besides, it's their decision to live: right or wrong. You go when you're hottest and they are pretty hot right now. I really hate to say it and I love the twins. They did some remarkable things and developed very well. I'll miss their tough, aggressive play. You can call it "thuggery" or "trash talking" but they brought extra toughness to KU that I enjoyed. I hope it influenced Withey, TRob and Wesley. However, you have to trim a bit in order for anything to grow, including the twins. I think the team was becoming a little stagnate. Their leaving will create some positives for KU and a million positives for themselves. KU would've been dominate with them and will be as dominate without them.

I'm really excited for another good year.

Chris Bruning 7 years, 11 months ago

unfortunate about the no final fours. but our big 12 streak is up sheet creek if they aren't here.

David Howell 7 years, 11 months ago

Bill is really going to have to pull a FUGLY rabbit out of his hat next year ! Hopefully Bill has an "Enes Kanter" type big guy who can legitimately qualify and play all year long in 2011/2012. Selby didn't do himself or the team any favors by taking lunch $$ so to speak and missing the first third of the season.

Unless more bigs materialize, Bill may finally have to get the boys to learn a zone defense. OR, we could only hope that Withey has been sandbagging it and is ready to explode on the KU scene !!

HawkKlaw 7 years, 11 months ago

How do you know Marcus made the right decision and that Markieff may not stay in the league??? You have a crystal ball or something? That sounds preposterous to me. They had practically the same numbers this season (Marcus had more PPG, and Markieff had more rebounds and a better 3pt %). They're both going to be drafted early to mid-first round. I don't disagree that I would like to see them come back another year, but this is the right decision for them. If you (or anybody else) were in their position you'd probably do the same.

KULA 7 years, 11 months ago

Funny how no one ever faults an 18 year old farm boy with MLB skills for not going to college. I think the twins have learned everything that Bill has to offer.

Viggo3003 7 years, 11 months ago

The difference is mathematical. Most of the time that farm boy does not have hundreds of thousands of fans following his career so the response is in proportion to that.

The other point that should be noted is that baseball has the system that basketball should move to. If a kid wants to go pro out of high school they can but if they go to college they must stay three years. Kevin Harlan and most announcers I have listened to all agree that is the perfect system and a solution to the one and done problem.

Have a lovely day.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

Viggo3003: Excellent points. The criticism on a kid going to the MLB out high school is not there because he has no even played one game for a college. It's done before that. Apples and oranges.

What also is different in baseball is that the kid can make the decision after being drafted. So if a kid doesn't get drafted in a particular spot, or doesn't get the money he wants, the kid can choose to go to school.

The perfect solution would be to permit kids to make a living if they want to and go straight to the NBA. The one and done system is horrible for colleges. The three year requirement is perfect. It permits the college coach to bank on his contributions, permits the kid if extraordinary to make his millions (which if any of us were extraordinary at anything, we could have done as well at age 18).

But the NBA does not care for that .. they would rather see the kid for a year in college ball.

KGphoto 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't fault them at all. They'll do well.

What I hate is when an 18 year old farmboy plays professional baseball and then comes back and wins a Heisman Trophy for Florida State as a 26 year old man. Chris Weinke. What a joke. I know, that's almost totally unrelated, but my day has been like that. I'm also posting college coaching news on the football articles if you'd like to check out Tait's latest practice news.

By the way, whatever happened to the other Henry? C.J.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

Some thoughts about next year's roster and the available scholarships:

• We're pretty set on the perimeter. Aside from Daniels, I'm not sure how much more recruiting Self should be doing for non-post players. Sure to be in next year's perimeter rotation are TT, EJ, Releford, & McLemore. Tharpe has the been touted as a "true PG", but his low recruiting ranking and looking at the players in front of him on next year's team makes me wonder if he will have a similar freshman campaign as Royce Woolridge (Tharpe being ranked #91 by rivals, Woolridge was ranked #120 last year). Speaking of Woolridge, will he be in a position to contribute? And Selby may still be back for another year. Even with those three question marks (Tharpe, Woolridge, & Selby), we should have more than enough talent to fill the positions on the perimeter. Unless Self is looking at someone for more of a long-term impact who may be willing to take a redshirt (like Royce should have done this year), Daniels should be the only non-post player he's looking at.

• I hope Selby comes back. Many posters have all but written him off. It's true he was a massive disappointment, but the talent is still there. Getting him to return for another year - a full year where hopefully he could stay healthy - would be the equivalent of landing another high-profile recruit this year.

• What should Self do with the PG position? Tyshawn played so well after coming back from his suspension, does he have a stranglehold on the lion's share of the minutes at the point? If so, it should mean getting EJ (and Selby if he returns) comfortable playing the 2-guard. If Tharpe is indeed the true point guard that he's been made out to be, I'd rather not have Self trying to fit him into his "combo guard" peg. Just leave him to back-up Tyshawn if he's good enough to contribute next year, and play EJ & Selby at the 2. However, if Selby comes back and Self can get production out of Tyshawn at the 2, I think Selby should start at the point. I really believe one of the reasons Selby struggled was that Self was playing him out of position and it was an adjustment for him. This may factor into Selby's decision to turn pro, which if he does makes much of this moot.

• Being set on the perimeter includes the wing. Travis and McLemore should be able to handle all the minutes at the 3. Getting Daniels would be nice (if for no other reason than that would mean he wouldn't be playing for Dook or Kensucky), but it would all but ensure another season of wondering if Self is managing his roster correctly. Another season of "so-and-so should be getting more minutes", "If Self would have done this throughout the season we could have gone farther", etc. If he's as good as his ranking you take talent when you can get it, but it would make things even more interesting to see how Coach Self juggles the playing time.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

(cont.) - It would be preferable to land 2 more post players. Even if "ChenoWithey" finally emerges as a force, and even if Justin Wesley turns out to be a hidden gem and can contribute, it's OK to have a player or two who can just take a year to develop. Since the guys that we are recruiting now aren't highly-rated, they'd probably be more willing to accept a development role with limited minutes their first year (maybe even a redshirt).

• So Daniels and two post players should be the max for the remainder of this year's recruiting haul. Any other schollies should be saved for the 2012 class, which is more talented. The last thing you want to do is not have enough schollies for more talented players who want to come here the following year, or that are scared off by the apparent lack of available playing time. I'd be fine with landing only one more post player, and having lots of time available for the likes of Perry Ellis, Shabazz Mohammed, Kaleb Tarczewski, and already committed Zach Peters.

Anyway, just some musings at the beginning of a long wait 'til Late Night.