Originally published September 24, 2010 at 12:00a.m., updated September 24, 2010 at 08:56a.m.

Jayhawks adjusting to Gill’s phone policy

Kansas University football coach Turner Gill, right, addresses his team following the spring game on April 24 at Memorial Stadium. Gill has implemented a cell-phone policy on the team, as cell phones are collected on the day before a game and returned to the players after the game to limit distractions.

On the night before his team’s first game, Deshaun Sands saw his phone charger in his hotel room and instinctively plugged it in.

There was one problem: The Kansas running back’s phone wasn’t with him.

“I was like, ‘Man, this is tough,’” Sands said. “I didn’t know what to do in the room. I looked at the TV, but I was like, ‘Man, I’m tired of looking at the TV. I need my phone.’”

Sands said he is starting to become accustomed to one of KU coach Turner Gill’s new policies: no cell phones before gameday.

The players first learned of the procedure a few months ago when Gill handed out players’ manuals.

“I think everybody was just like, ‘I don’t know if I’m going to be able to make it without my cell phone,’” KU receiver Daymond Patterson said. “I think everybody was just kind of in shock, because we hadn’t had anything like that here in the past years.”

Though many players were surprised, KU receiver Bradley McDougald said a few of the seniors stepped forward and told their teammates that they needed to buy into Gill’s beliefs if they wanted to be successful.

“Some guys, of course, like to talk to their parents and family members before the games,” McDougald said, “but it’s just a small price you have to pay.”

The policy works like this: KU players turn in their cell phones to the coaches the day before each game. The phones are given back after the games, many times returned to each player’s locker.

In case of emergency, family members can still contact director of football operations George Matsakis, who will then get in touch with the players.

The goal is to cut down on distractions.

“Their job is to get ready to play a football game, not (do) things on the phone,” Gill said during his Hawk Talk radio show Thursday night.

Punter Alonso Rojas — who also followed a similar order his freshman year at Bowling Green — said he’s been able to avoid late-night texts, calls and requests for last-minute tickets.

“There are always going to be guys who don’t like it more than others,” Rojas said, “but we’re a team and our coach expects us to do something, so we’re going to do it.”

KU defensive end Jake Laptad has noticed on the night before games, teammates have spent more time talking to each other and hanging out in each other’s rooms.

Some Jayhawks still have been able to find ways to work around the policy.

Laptop computers are not banned, so McDougald said he uses applications like Skype, Facebook chat and Twitter to keep in touch with others.

McDougald said he believed part of the cell-phone ban was put in place to avoid distractions in the locker room, as players have the ability to play games or access sites like Twitter on their cell phones.

The cell-phone rule wasn’t the only major change introduced before the season.

Also in the players’ manual is a rule that states that KU’s players cannot be with girls past 10 p.m. on any night. McDougald said that meant either having a girl over or being at her house.

Though Gill told the players that the rule was difficult to enforce, he explained the penalty would be more severe if a KU player was involved with an incident and it was discovered that the player had broken the policy.

“Coaches are like parents, though,” McDougald said. “They’re our parents away from home, because if anything happens to us, and my parents come ask coach Gill what happened to me, he’s going to be responsible.”

Though the new cell-phone policy’s purpose is to help the team focus, there might be some risk it could harm KU in the future.

Upon learning KU’s new cell-phone rule, the website Footballscoop.com — a site used by numerous college coaches, especially for job information — posted the following:

“We’ll think this opens up Coach Gill to a lot of criticism and could impact recruiting.”

Scott Roussel, president of Footballscoop.com, said that seven college coaches helped provide the content for the site, and they had agreed that the new policy could be used against Gill in recruiting battles.

After posting the story earlier this week to his website — which receives between 50,000 and 100,000 visitors per day during its peak season — Roussel said three other college coaches had contacted him to support Gill and his decision to have a cell-phone policy.

Though Sands believes Gill is smart to have the rule, the freshman admits it’s been an adjustment.

“Usually when you drop your phone, it’s like you drop your heart,” Sands said with a grin. “You don’t want it to break or anything like that. It’s precious to you. A phone is a powerful thing.”

The rule also put the running back in the doghouse earlier this year.

The night before one of KU’s games, Sands realized that he hadn’t called or texted his girlfriend back at home in Florida.

Sands was in trouble the next day and faced lots of questions: “What happened?” “Where were you?”

Though it sounded a little bit like saying that the dog had eaten his homework, Sands told his significant other the truth: that his coach had taken his phone.

Luckily, the new rule didn’t end up costing Sands his relationship.

“She bought it,” Sands said. “She was really understanding.”

Comments

JJHawq 4 years ago

holy moly... no girls after 10???? are you mad man?????

Nutflush21 4 years ago

I guess you have to close the deal early if youre on the football team.

Pbbut 4 years ago

Finally, seeking a goal with a sense of urgency!

LAJayhawk 4 years ago

Seriously. LJ World buried the lead on this one. Tough rule.

Clarence Haynes 4 years ago

Man, you are like the Grinch who stole Xmas. Would not wish your life on anyone!

LAJayhawk 4 years ago

Not quite. It was 3 sizes too small, but at least the Grinch actually HAD a heart...

Dyrk Dugan 4 years ago

these are rules that if i were the coach, i wouldn't have. as long as the players know them beforehand, and what the consequences are if violated, then OK.

it's a form of discipline and order for sure....a bit extreme but doable. one question i have about the 10 o'clock thing....is that even in the summer?

Theutus 4 years ago

This is a ridiculous policy... I've been extremely lenient with my criticism of Gill... But things just keep adding up.

tis4tim 4 years ago

"Treating these young men like they are 13 year olds is only going to piss them off."

Good. Anything to make them play like they care.

Theutus 4 years ago

I would agree if i thought this was going to increase performance... But i think it's just going to make things worse.

By disrespecting the players by saying "you're not mature enough to have a cell phone prior to gametime", it's just creating animosity where there shouldn't be any.

I've seen it time and time again from when I played ball in college, to my time in the Marines.... You don't strip peoples freedoms without really good reason (see Taylor and facebook). If you do, it just creates animosity and performance drops....

That's been my experience every time... But i guess that's just my experience and my opinion.

tis4tim 4 years ago

I agree that taking away privileges after the fact would leave some dour faces in its wake. But, they knew about the policy from the beginning of Gill's tenure. It may come as a shock to those who were around during the old regime, but most reasonable players and fans would have to assume that a new coach means a new way of doing things. This just happens to be one of those things.

Plus, Gill is only asking for the 24-hour period surrounding game day. That doesn't seem to me like a huge sacrifice. But, again, it really depends on the person. Like most changes, there will be an adjustment period, but I don't think the boys will even notice in a week or two. It will become part of the routine.

Speaking of sacrifices, thank you for your service to our country, Theutus. Rock Chalk, my good sir!

John Strayer 4 years ago

Are you serious? Doing without a phone for 24 hours isn't a hardship...especially since the football team and the university have arrangements for players to communicate with their families in cases of emergency.

Good grief. If this ruffles feathers, then is speaks volumes as to our society that can't live without being connected. Maybe that 24 hours without the phone should be spent connecting with your teammates instead of the outside world?

Caesar_Augustus 4 years ago

jpstrayer, you are missing the point. Just because you've EARNED a scholarship to a school for your athletic ability does not give the coach free reign over your life and the ability to make rules he seems fit that make no sense. Its not the question of whether someone can do without X for a day, its the fact that the coach should not have the abililty to make assinine rules such as this.

LAJayhawk 4 years ago

No, I believe you are missing the point, Caesar. The players don't face legal penalties if they break the rules. Their freedoms are not being infringed upon. They have the absolute ability to choose not to follow these rules, and Gill has the absolute ability to tell them they are not part of the football team.

You can disagree with the rules, but don't be illogical.

KWufan 4 years ago

It's not about society not being connected, to me it's more about treating the players like the young men they are. Don't you go to college to learn to be responsible, not being FORCED to do things like your still in high school by the parents, which Gill believes he is?

OCJHAWK 4 years ago

If you impose rules short of anarchy I guess that "disrespects" whatever that means in your life.

hawk316 4 years ago

I can see some obvious benefits from this policy, a primary one being a team that has better chemistry and cohesiveness. As Jake pointed out, the players are now spending more time with each other.

This article also reveals that Coach Gill is not the pushover teddy bear that some posters have accused him of being. He obviously has his rules and expects them to be followed. I also would argue that his discipline is constructive with a positive purpose intended and not meant to demean nor disrespect anyone.

Gill continues to impress.

Robert Brock 4 years ago

Now we know: these are little kids who are upset that they have to put away their toys for awhile and concentrate on something else. THE AGONY!

tis4tim 4 years ago

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask guys to disconnect from the matrix for 24 hours to prepare their minds for a game. It's called discipline.

bennettcl 4 years ago

I would think the process of turning in the phones and returning them to the players is more of a distraction than just letting them keep them. It's ridiculous. Sure you could have a policy where players aren't allowed to bring their phones in to meetings and practices, but to not allow them to have their phones the night before the game to allow them to call their family and friends back home is probably just plain annoying to these kids. They come from all over the nation and would probably like to be able to communicate with their friends back home.

Is he going to ban computers in their rooms so they can't get on facebook or other online sites too? Is he going to ban doing homework next? Don't want too many distractions. I think being 1-2 right now would be my biggest distraction.

Ron Prichard 4 years ago

How many times in college did you ever call your family on a Friday night? Dropping your phone in a baggie with your name on it with one of the coaches or manager doesn't seem like that daunting of a task, either.

scholz 4 years ago

If this was Bill Self's policy, you wouldn't be saying ANYTHING!!!!!! This happens to be a good rule for many teams at KU. Bonnie does it with our WBB team. She took McCray's phone away for like 2 weeks to prove a point. I've heard Self do the same things with the guys while I was a manager.

Think of it like this. Coach recruits a kid to come here. KU pays for their education = Coach owns them. Anything Coach says, that's what the kids do. I have heard of players having to turn in their car keys for discipline reasons. If you don't want to follow the rules, don't go to school there.

Theutus 4 years ago

Actually I would... I remember playing baseball in college and having a coach that thought he'd treat us like little kids and start stripping our freedom to do a lot of things.... I experienced it in the Military on a number of occasions as well.

What happened? A lot of people were pissed off, it created problems when there shouldn't have been any, and in the grand scheme of things, it divided a team and affected our performance.

It's not just about the minor inconvenience of not having a phone for 24 hours... It's a matter of treating people like adults, treating them with respect. You disrespect people, you lose respect....

I don't have any problems with a phone being yanked if someone causes problems with it (a la Taylor and facebook).. That is earned. But this just seems like an insult to the players saying "you can't handle having a phone before gametime, because you're not mature enough".

It's an insult plain and simple.

Brandon Meek 4 years ago

I am sure that these policies are related to what HCTG assessed as being issues in the previous couple of years at KU. Perhaps it is unfortunate that the "few" have ruined things for the "many," but such is life. In my opinion, when the collective members of the KU athletics teams show some good judgment, consistently make decisions that don't bring disgrace to themselves and our institution, and consistently put up good performance in their sport, then they can get some of these "distractions" back.

On another note, there weren't any policies like this last year and look where it got us. A 7-game losing streak to finish the season. This is essentially the same team from last year, so it is plausible to think that if you manage the team the same way that the last coach did you can expect similar results. He is trying different approaches to try to get better results.

The fact is, this is HCTG's team. He makes the rules and if his decisions, directly or indirectly, create poor performance, then he'll have to answer for that. In team meantime, the seniors on the team seem to be supporting him, so I think we can be okay with it as well.

4 years ago

Good points, and even better screen name! :^)

Theutus 4 years ago

I agree with pretty much all you said, i'm just expressing my personal disgust with his decisions (as well as a lot of his play calling).

But in your last statement "the seniors on the team seem to be supporting him".....

What else are they going to say in the media? Unless they are idiots, they are going to say "it's all good" and move on. Nobody wants to hang themselves over a comment to the media.... But I guarantee you there are some pretty harsh and critical comments going on behind closed doors.

bad_dog 4 years ago

Theutus, isn't it Chuck Long's play calling you're fed up with?

Theutus 4 years ago

Well, the things that really pissed me off were the punt in the 4th quarter when you're down like 3 touchdowns.... The constant running plays even though the running game has done nothing for us....

Leaving Webb in the game when he couldn't hit a semi if it was parked 5 feet in front of him, and he wasn't getting rid of the ball instead just sitting in the pocket not making a decision... Etc etc. Those are Gill's call.

100 4 years ago

It's an attitude we will develop. No cell phones means no huge distractions (which I think we all can agree cell phones can be). It means studying your playbook & possibly getting some sleep.

It's about attitude.

This isn't chocolate making class.

This is D1 football.

KUbsee69 4 years ago

OMG ... I can't believe this. My whole life has been messed up because I went to school before cell phones were invented. I just don't see how we survived. We didn't have PCs, laptops, iPods, social networking, or even electronic calculators. KU didn't even have phones in any dorm rooms. It's just horrible ... we were so deprived. I just don't see how we made it through, particularly the math, sciences and engineering courses. But somehow, the CEO of Ford, I, and many others made it through KU's engineering school in that deprived era.

Somehow, without all of those distractions, we managed to help put men on the moon, and invent electronic calculators, PC's, laptops, internetworking, iPods, video games, VCRs, DVRs, et. al.

What great inventions will the new breed be able to invent because of cell phones and texting? Or maybe, they can just win a few FB games.

bennettcl 4 years ago

Good job with the electronic calculators. You guys were so advanced back then. It's almost like we can't now watch 3D movies in the comfort of our own homes. No, you're right technology hasn't advanced at all since you put that first man on the moon. I guess we'll have to listen to radio broadcasted tv shows the rest of our lives because it's not like they will ever be available for free on the internet. No, we're never going to invent anything because we're too distracted by cell phones. Give me a break Grandpa.

OCJHAWK 4 years ago

Laughing with you ee. Although fifteen years behind you, I still find it laughable how every one has to be accesable all the time or they feel lost these days. I try to take my kids out camping and fishing away from everybody as much as possible so they can have an original thought once in a while. These players should also throw in a book oince in a while when TV gets too boring. Pathetic. I remember watching films the night before games, but I guess KU is so good that they don't need to do that.

bennettcl 4 years ago

Football is essentially a job for these kids and a way to pay for their education. How would you guys feel if your boss made you check your phone in at the door when you came to work and then give it back when you leave for work? You would feel like a 10 year old right? Sounds unreasonable doesn't it. Don't you practice self-control while your at work and understand you need to get your work done before you have the enjoyment of using your phone. I'm hardly doubt cell phones are the only distraction these kids have. They don't have PS3s, X Boxes, computers, or actual homework to keep them distracted from football do they? I understand the curfew rule, but come one these kids are old enough to know when they need to "do work" and when they can text or call their friends and family.

OCJHAWK 4 years ago

How often did you call your parents on a Friday night after 10pm in college? Coach Gill wouldn't have this rule if he thought the team as a whole could practice self constraint.

Theutus 4 years ago

So disrespecting the players and treating them like 13 year olds is going to make them play harder for you?

Not in my experience.

KUbsee69 4 years ago

Hey non-grandpa ... my boss does make me, and everyone else, check my cell phone at the door everyday. Not unreasonable to me, because it's a matter of national security. And, gee, I don't mind AT ALL!

When you grow up, maybe you'll understand. Also, maybe you'll someday understand that being called "grandpa" is one of life's greatest honors and joys.

mueller 4 years ago

How many companies don't allow cell phones to be used while they are at work? Isn't that the same thing that you are talking about? Don't see anyone really complaining about it.

24 Hours up to and including the game is basically the team going to work.

bad_dog 4 years ago

How would I feel if my boss made me check-in my phone when I got to work? I'd be just fine. I have a phone provided to me for business purposes and that is what I am at to to do-work for him and the business that employs and pays me. I'm not at work and being paid to consult my electronic binky every few minutes to see what someone Tweeted or posted on my Facebook page.

Seriously, I believe all these electronic devices have become much more important to certain members of society than they need be. It almost seems like an addiction issue to me. "See me", "Listen to what I have to say", Pay attention to what I'm doing", Yo over hear, you're not paying attention to me"!

KU_FanSince75 4 years ago

@ Scholz & 100----I totally agree with you. Phones are a distraction. Hopefully, this puts some frustrations into the antics of the "Antlers," at Mizzou!!!

@KUbsee69---I with you, man! I survived without cell phones, iPods, social networking, etc. and did just fine in school. I do have a cell phone but is used for business communications only. Sometimes, on a tough day, I would love to chuck my cell phone in the river--because at times, the cell phone has made my life more complicated and more accessible.

I applaud Coach Gill for standing firm on this! Rock Chalk!

khummel60 4 years ago

Holy Crap! Some people are just hell-bent on criticizing Gill, no matter how innocuous the topic. And these are the same folks who routinely rail on Gill for being too soft. Now when he takes a tough stand on something he's suddenly being unfair? Are you kidding me? God forbid the student-athletes should study their playbook the night before a game. Maybe you haven't noticed, but every teenager in America has his/her head stuck in their phone every waking moment, and its become a problem. I wish every High School in the country would institute a similar rule - SAT scores would go up instantly if they did. And any High School football star who decides he can't play for KU because he can't live without his cell phone on game day is not the kind of athlete we want anyway.

bennettcl 4 years ago

In case you didn't read the article these kids aren't studying their playbooks anymore than normal either. Did you miss this quote: Sands said. “I didn’t know what to do in the room. I looked at the TV, but I was like, ‘Man, I’m tired of looking at the TV. I need my phone.’”??

khummel60 4 years ago

...so giving Deshaun his phone back is going to make things better? I'm afraid I don't understand your logic. That quote just proves how addicted they are to that device. Seems to me like a simple equation - the less distractions they have the more likely they are to to be focused on the game. But maybe I just don't get it.

bennettcl 4 years ago

My logic is: cell phones aren't the problem or the only distraction these kids have. If they don't have their cell phones they're just going to find something else to distract themselves with. Let's be honest they aren't going to be studying their playbooks 24/7. Like I said I think the process of turning their phones in and giving them back is more of a distraction than anything. Maybe the coaching staff should focus more on play book themselves then worrying about distractions for their players. And those who say they didn't have cell phones or computers when they were in school are just being ignorant. You didn't have them because they didn't exist. You also didn't go out boozing past 10pm did you? Right.

khummel60 4 years ago

Not sure I understand what "boozing past 10pm" has to do with the discussion at hand, but - no - I actually didn't go out boozing past 10pm if I had a big test or final the next day. Seems reasonable to expect the same from our football players. And - no - we didn't have cell phones or laptops when I was at KU, but we did have television (color even) and dime draws, so I think I understand the concept of distractions. I guess you'll just have to excuse my feeble fossilized brain if I'm incapable of understanding the far-reaching implications of taking ones cell phone away for 24 hours.

bennettcl 4 years ago

The 10pm "no girls over" rule is EVERY night. Come on, even my parents in high school let us have girls over until midnight. I'm just saying Gill is trying to hard to eliminate distractions and so far it is obviously NOT working. Let the kids be kids. They'll perform for you and respect you if you perform for them and respect them.

khummel60 4 years ago

I agree with you, and others this morning, that the "no girls past 10pm EVER" rule seems excessive.

Ron Prichard 4 years ago

Why is it such an issue for you that the players don't have their cell phones one night of the week? What if they had mandatory team meetings and dinners and cell phones had to be turned off but they were still in their pockets? Would that rule be okay? They still couldn't use the phones. There are many things to criticize Gill over, but this isn't one of them. The 10 pm no women curfew every night of the week seems like a much more controversial issue to me. Players win a game on Saturday, want to go see the 8:30 movie that night with their girlfriend...oops...can't. Have to be away from her by 10 pm. That seems a whole lot more limiting than restricting cell phones the night before the game.

hawksquawk 4 years ago

Personally, I don't think the cell phone policy is a big issue at all to these players. I think the problem is that it makes Gill appear out of touch. As a recent grad, I am a member of this generation, and let me tell you that actually using a cell phone to verbally communicate with another individual is becoming increasingly rare. Kids these days use their phones for text messaging, facebook, twitter, et cetera - all of which can also be done (and even done more conveniently) on the internet. Thus, to ban cell phones but allow laptops is to create an ineffectual policy. Let me ask you this: What's more distracting to a college-age student-athlete, a phone or the internet? Oh, and I agree the no-girls-after-10 rule seems awful. If I were a coach competing against Gill, I would leverage that rule against him long before I would the cell-phone rule.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years ago

Seriously...what effects on recruiting will no girls past 10 for over half the year accomplish? Maybe the night before gameday but come on, these are young men, not robots. They can't get a drink in them before they enjoy their girlfriend? They need to basically have afternoon delights only with their girl or they break team rules? This is awful news.

Dan Harris 4 years ago

NO JUST KIDS THAT WANT TO BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF YOUR ALMA MATER MIZZU!

honk_for_hawks 4 years ago

Not a big deal. It forces the team to come together. Just like they said in the article, players hang out in each other's rooms more. They might look at their playbook more. They may just get more sleep. Who knows? All I know is that there are more good things that can come out of it than bad things. We don't need the football players getting their 3 am booty calls and taking an entire half to wake up and get into the game. Now they can be well rested, connect with their teammates more, and focus on the game. I can't even tell you how many times I saw Todd Reesing out at last call the night before a game last year. (wonder why his numbers sucked last year)

slowplay 4 years ago

My coach used to call every player between 9 and 9:30 pm on gameday eve to make sure they were in their rooms. Our hair could be no longer than 1 inch and coach would personally cut it if it was too long. Suit and ties were mandatory for all team functions, including daily meals at the Union. We were allowed one 10 min. phone call after supper.

Caesar_Augustus 4 years ago

Your experience, and the whole cell phone story, are way out of line in my opinion. A coach's jurisdiction ends the minute that player steps off the field unless the player is doing something directly related to a sporting event they play in, i.e, getting on the bus, staying in a hotel room over game weekend, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't put up with that crap. Unless the coach is paying my cell phone bill and I've agreed beforehand, he wouldn't touch my cell phone or tell me who I can hang out with when I'm not on the field. As long as I keep my nose clean and maintain good standing with the public, then thats all he should care about off the field. On the field, I'm his b1tch and he can do with me what he wants.

mueller 4 years ago

Reminds me of the story about Bill Walton at UCLA when he told Wooden that he wasn't going to cut his hair and was told that they would sure miss him on the team this year.

Your right it is your choice to not follow the rules...it also is the coaches choice to decide if he wants you to stay on his team.

Caesar_Augustus 4 years ago

If enough players band together, what's he gonna do, not play the top players because of his stupid policy? There would be public outcry and he would have to change. Some rules are just power trips, like most of these, and there is power in numbers. I'm not attached to my cellphone by the hip, but its the principal of the situation that really irks me.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Seems like a bit of an odd lead story the day before a game you are favored to win by over three touchdowns. A little football talk might be a good idea.

Over 40 - "These whiney babies need to grow up, show a little self-discipline and focus on the task at hand. You're out their to win football games. You can call your girl friends later."

Under 40 - " The cell phone has been an extension of our interaction with society most of our lives. What's the big deal? This is like taking a vow of silence for 24 hours. Doesn't our coach trust us?"

If you play competitive football, I personally don't care if you call Peking and talk for eight hours!! :} If you play crappy football, then collect all the cell phones and throw them into the Kaw River!! :{

No malice or serious intent intended.

deepind 4 years ago

Well said Oakville... the youngsters (less than 25 yrs) seem to have attached a phone number/email id to their social identity! Only time can tell if this is a good thing or not.

My suggestion for Gill to change the rule this way: You win - keep your phone. You lose - you lose your phone until you win the next game!!

Fair?

KGphoto 4 years ago

Then they would win every other game.

Content. Driven. Content. Driven.

Sounds good if we want 6-6 seasons.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

6 and 6 looks pretty good to me right now!!!

STLJHawk86 4 years ago

In a similiar vien - if Gill and the team wins there wont be many complaints from players or fans - in fact some may argue they are the reason the team wins. But if the team suffers a losing season or 2 these types of policies will be pointed to as the cause (e.g. sapping the team's morale) and will be held up as reasons to sack Gill.

Just like Mangino's treatment of players - nobody complains when the team is racking up wins.

Kenneth Hillman 4 years ago

That is the mother off all sins. Don't even joke about that stuff...

STLJHawk86 4 years ago

Be forced shadow MUlaza for a few days so they see the long term consequences of their actions - that should scare them straight

rolo2383 4 years ago

I don't mind this rule at all. I've gone whole weekends before without using my phone or my computer. It was very refreshing.

On another note, the Footballscoop.com website is a joke.

Brandon Meek 4 years ago

Good grief cut this guy some slack. Based upon the volume of incidents and distractions at KU that have fueled media attention over the last 18 to 24 months, I fully support any policies that will emphasize focus, commitment and teamwork within the football team...and between all KU athletics teams for that matter. These guys are getting scholarships to play football and get an education at one of the best universities in the country. I don't think it's too much to ask that they concentrate their energy on preparing to perform on the field on the day before gameday.

For all of you being so critical, how about this...you can make the rules when you're the head coach. Until you have the qualifications to do that, I don't think your opinion matters that much.

jaymar74 4 years ago

They have to do without their phones for 12 days a year. They can have them the other 353 days. Get real people and stop looking for any little thing to be critical of regarding this coach.

jaymar74 4 years ago

KUFan90 4 years ago

To be honest I don't get the outrage over the cell phone but hardly any mention of the girls past 10pm rule. The cell phone is one night...the chick thing is EVERY night!

Holy crap...I don't know how I would have made it through college if I couldn't have been at a girl's place past 10pm? That's half the point of going to college isn't it? I'd think that rule is more of a recruiting hit than losing a cell phone for a night?

OCJHAWK 4 years ago

Hopefully only in efffect during the season.

Ron Prichard 4 years ago

I completely agree with you on this. The cell phone thing is no big deal, but players can't even go on a date on the Saturday night after a game if they don't have her home by 10. I guess the 8:30 movie is out. I wonder if this is something Gill will relax on if they win or as he becomes more comfortable.

KGphoto 4 years ago

The recruits may not like the deal, but their parents will.

Theutus 4 years ago

Most of the time the parents don't have enough influence on them to determine where they sign.....

KGphoto 4 years ago

Every parent I know, including myself, has a huge influence on where the kid goes to school. Regardless of what they may say, or how they act, kids are looking for guidance.

Theutus 4 years ago

Influence sure, but saying "this is the place you need to go because the coach is going to treat you like you are still a pre-teen" isn't exactly going to sell a kid.

Actually, if I was a recruit, i'd probably shy away from Gill for the phone and girls past 10 rules..... Why? It just means he doesn't see his players as adults who can handle simple responsibility on their own.

I don't want to play for someone who doesn't respect me...

Danimal 4 years ago

I'm not really sure this is a question of Gill not respecting his players as much as it is enforcing a code of conduct and holding them to a higher standard of behavior. He wants them to focus on the task at hand. I wouldn't be surprised if once they start playing better Gill relaxes the rules a little. And I'm sure if they start winning some bigger games it's not going to have any negative effect on recruiting. Losing games hurts recruiting a lot more than the team cell phone policy.

Think of it this way, it's just like being back to the barracks before your liberty expires. I've been out for a couple years now, but last time I checked younger, more junior Marines still had liberty chits and to check in and out at least until they got to the FMF. This policy of Gill's is exactly like something the Marine Corps would do. It seems unorthodox, but if it helps them win games isn't that what's really important?

Joseph Kuebel 4 years ago

Still...would you want your son guaranteed in by 10 p.m. every night of his college life? Good luck having a "college experience"...Sounds like the 16-yr old curfew they had in my town growing up, except we were allowed to be out and driving until 11!"

I would not want to subject my son to being in by 10 p.m.... Have a fun time worrying about what your girlfriend is doing EVERY NIGHT OF YOUR COLLEGE LIFE... no thank you.

grandpa 4 years ago

Cell phones are what's wrong with this country. They should all be thriown in the dumpster. We never had any kind of phone when I was growing up and we made it alright. Smoke signals worked just fine.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

....and we liked it!!!

Laughed so hard my teeth fell out!!!

Larry Smith 4 years ago

OK, Whats the big deal here.

The team all stays at a team hotel the night before the game right? Make whatever calls you need before you check in to the hotel. If for some reason you don't do that, then just use the phone that is in the room. Is using a land line that inconvenient? You still have access to the internet, so you can facebook, chat or whatever. I think the main point of the policy as stated is to cut down on distractions in the locker room before a game. That is not a bad thing.

jaymar74 4 years ago

If you read between the lines on the girl after 10pm rule, I think he is saying- just don't have any type of an incident with a girl after 10pm and have it get out in the press. He is putting a little extra caution into their actions.

KWufan 4 years ago

I love Turner Gill, but I don't think treating the players like they are still at home in high school is a bit over the top. Young people go to college to learn to be responsible, not be treated like children. Does a proffessor do anything like this so you will study and score that "A" on their test. Hell no, it's up to you to police yourself and make it what you want out of it. Same with football, if the boys want to make a great season, they will do it with a cellphone in their hand just as well as they would without it. Not a big fan of this over-controlling policy, but I do think Turner is our man. Think this one over coach, it's gone a little too far.

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years ago

I think you hit the nail on the head...being responsible. Which is what these players should be doing before the game. Coach Gill wants these kids to focus on what they came to college to do. Tweeting (such a stupid word) and texting all night is a distraction any way you look at it.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years ago

ya, girls at 1030 in april is such a major distraction too...friday night and before game day is one thing, but taking away a college kid in their primes right to be with their girl past 10 any night of your college life sounds closer to prison than college.

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years ago

Maybe the football team can use this as a motivator similar to what the Waterboy does. Visualize Coach Gill taking your cell phone away and go lay someone out!

Seriously though, if the kids have a problem with these policies.....grow up. It's just a stupid phone. If that's your life, then you really don't have much of one.

khummel60 4 years ago

Its disappointing that we are obsessing over this cell phone nonsense instead of talking football. 72 comments so far about the pros/cons of a 24 hour cell phone ban, while Newel's analysis of why our punt got blocked last week has all of 3 comments.

bennettcl 4 years ago

Not too hard to figure out how our punt got blocked. We missed blocks, our long snapper floats in back there, and our kicker takes too long to get the punt off. Everyone was probably wondering if their girlfriend was trying to text them the night before and were too distracted by that to block for our punter.

rockemchalkemrobots 4 years ago

For those of us old enough to remember, this is nothing new. Back in 1900 Charles "the mustache" Boynton (known for his thick handlebar mustache) made his players turn in their flints before gameday to prevent them from smoke-signaling their chums. He also implemented a no-ankle-after-the-7 o'clock hour rule. His team went 2-5-2. If not for the 2 ties, they might have run him out on a rail. Fortunate for him, "kissing your cousin", as a tie was known in those days, was not really frowned upon, and so he was dismissed following the season.

KCHawk81 4 years ago

Hutch, the fact that you have not been hired as an AD or, at the very least, a coach at a BCS school continues to amaze me. If it's just a matter of getting a few more references on that resume, let me know. I'm happy to help.

Larry Smith 4 years ago

What exactly do you miss?? The .359 winning percentage in conference? Seven losses in a row to end the season? .167 winning percentage against the South? The ncaa violations for academic fraud? I too enjoyed Coach Mangino during the time he was here. But he has moved on and so should we. Not longing for the very mediocre record he put up.

Jeffery Barrett 3 years, 11 months ago

WOW! You should post that exact response anytime anyone mentions Mangino! That sums it all up, Jayhawk86!

vc727 4 years ago

Come on Hawks win some games so we can actually read about football on the football page. I din't know why I even bother to read these articles just a Jayhawk Junkie and read it all even if it is stupid. Brings me back to the HCMM discussions about player treatment. People on both sides and a few MUrons sprinkled in to fan the flames. If you look at all D1 programs you could find silly rules like these. Maybe not exactly these but each coach has something they set in stone.

brooksmd 4 years ago

Life is full of rules. My employer (USPS) bans the use of cell phones, iPods, Bluetooth devices on the workroom floor. So I don't see a problem with this especially as one player put it, the players spend more time together. And if a recruit makes his decision based on the fact he has to do without his phone for 12 days out of 365, oh well.

jayhawkjoe98 4 years ago

Wait, DeShaun Sands was in a hotel room before his first game?

bennettcl 4 years ago

I found this odd as well. Maybe he thinks his dorm is a hotel. I don't know, but I sure hope our AD isn't wasting money and what few hotel rooms Lawrence has to put the whole team up in a hotel the night before a home game. That would be a distraction. Maybe the quote was actually taken before our last game (on the road) and not actually our first game as quoted in the article.

OCJHAWK 4 years ago

Many major programs put their teams in Hotels the night before a game. Cal puts their players up at the Clairmont in Berkley which has about a $300 rack rate.

OCJHAWK 4 years ago

I do personaly think this is a collosal waste of $, but it must be a weapon in today's recruiting arms race.

gardenjay 4 years ago

If you're going to ban cell phones, then the load of other distractions needs to be addressed. I'm actually surprised if this country generates anyone with an engineering or science brain, much less a good thinking football team.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years ago

Gardenjay says....I'm actually surprised if this country generates anyone with an engineering or science brain, much less a good thinking football team.

Is that a question? Because that sentence makes no sense as usual with your comments.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years ago

76%- LOL that should be your name from now on, smart guy.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years ago

Independent thought is to be hammered down like a nail sticking up?

More like you are wrong, and are too hard headed to admit you were wrong making you both stubborn and wrong! However, you falsely qualify your comment (of poor math as an opinion?) by sadly attempting to justify it with some completely unrelated (yes, by unrelated I am saying that your quote has nothing do with you being the only person that thinks 54/71 isn't ~76%...THIS IS NOT an independent thought, its incorrect math)...

Hence; your quote holds no relevancy as, disagreeing with simple math (saying 54 / 71 does not equal 0.760563 ) doesn't mean you have created an independent thought, it means you are alone because you are not correct...math is not an opinion, or thought.

No Japanese proverb says incorrect math ever qualified as an "independent thought"...be a real man please and admit you were wrong instead of trying to justify yourself with more irrelevant quotes (that means are not relevant, or they do not apply to the comparison (what you compared) at hand).

gardenjay 4 years ago

hmmm... a big frowny face to you too

jhox 4 years ago

Some of you guys are beating the Mangino theme to death. We lost 7 in a row to end the year last year, including to mediocre teams like ISU and KSU, and that was with more talent than this year's team has. I liked Mangino, he was great for the program, winning the Orange Bowl and all, and getting us to several other bowls, but we were not getting the kind of recruits it takes to compete with the OU's and Texases of the world. Once the player mutinany took place, recruiting was just going to go further down the toilet.

If we can just win 5 or 6 games this year (big if at this point...I seriously doubt we will) I believe we'll see the best class of recruits come in next year that KU has ever had. Even if we have a 3 or 4 win season, we're likely to see better recruits than the typical Mangino recruiting class had. One more thing, we've made a major upgrade at the defensive coordinator position. If we had Torbush last year, Mangino would still have a job. That cushion defense was a joke.

As for the phone rule, big deal. The girl rule...now that could adversely affect recruiting.

I guess the guys are just going to have to take care of business with their ladies early.

Theutus 4 years ago

I was never really for or against Mangino, but you can't really hold last year against him... With everything going on, and the investigations etc etc.... His own AD throwing him under a bus, the team chemistry destroyed....

I just don't think that season is really a typical season you could judge a guy on.

Joseph Kuebel 4 years ago

It wasn't just last season he was judged on...Read the posts about MM gets rehired, or any other post about his firing ("resignation"). Get your facts/head straight and come back when you have something valid to add.

Theutus 4 years ago

Wow, are you that butt-hurt about Mangino? Grow up.

KGphoto 4 years ago

The guy who said butt-hurt just told somebody to grow up. Priceless.

kugoal 4 years ago

I think this is a good start to a lot of things. On a previous comment, one person stated that they needed to be treated like young men not a 13 yr old. This is too funny because if they were men then they wouldn't be running around late at night partying and being on the phone late, they would be stepping up like a man and doing what they were brought there to do! come on, have you ever read some of the teams facebook? the party i was at the other night, it is no wonder they are on a roller coaster. it depends how many "late nights" they had that week. it's ashame..come on boys lets get your heads together and play and live like it means something. it's your face on tv not mine

Michael Leiker 4 years ago

Seems like the article should have been about no girls after 10pm. Much bigger deal than the cell phone rule and seems to be directly related to Gill's religious beliefs. Anybody smell a future lawsuit related to enforcing religious beliefs at public institution? Always some lawyers on the site. Is there a possibility of a case there?

gardenjay 4 years ago

actually, yes right? The fundamental rights to 24-hour entertainment and stimulus would be violated by not including cell phones.

Mark Wooden 4 years ago

Sounds like a good time to study the playbook, or even better your schoolwork.

Rick Arnoldy 4 years ago

big whoop about cell phones. no girls after 10? are you serious. when did this become kansas baptist college? a movie or a doughnut run puts you against team rules.

Mo Mosallaei 4 years ago

Why does the article start by saying Deshaun Sands was in a hotel room the night before his first game? The first game was at home.

BrutusHawk 4 years ago

gongs4ku 4 years ago

No cell phones: great idea.

No women after 10: what the heck, that's cruel and unusual. It's college, man! Do I have to spell out what men are supposed to do in college?