Thursday, September 23, 2010

No. 28 rated hoops player to visit to Kansas

Quinn Cook, a 6-foot-1 senior point guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., plans to make an official recruiting visit to Kansas University.

Cook, the No. 28-rated player in the Class of 2011, told Rivals.com on Wednesday that he may visit for the Oct. 15 Late Night in the Phog.

“I know Ben (McLemore, 6-5 senior, Oak Hill) will be going to Kansas that weekend, so coach (Bill) Self would like me to visit,” Cook said. “I told coach Self that Kansas is definitely a great school, he's a great coach and one of my best friends, Josh Selby, goes there. I’m also good friends with Thomas Robinson, so Kansas would be a good fit.”

Cook, who is from Washington, D.C., has already visited Duke. He’s also heard from UConn, Georgetown, Indiana, Kansas State, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Notre Dame, St. John's, Tennessee, UCLA, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and others.

Comments

kushaw 3 years, 10 months ago

It's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out with Quinn Cook. I remember over the summer there was a hot debate on which direction KU was going to go between J. Turner and Quinn Cook.

To me, with everything Cook said above about the current members of the team, you would have thought he would have been the right fit from the get go. Turner and Cook at one time were ranked the same, but Turner's ceiling has taken off over the summer. I'm at least encouraged to see Cook still as a possibility because a couple of days ago nobody really knew where KU stood with Cook.

Also, here is the diary of A. Rivers from his in-home visits with Self, Williams, and Coach K. Good Read.

waywardJay 3 years, 10 months ago

Still sounds like he's favoring the ACC though from what I read.... Coach K drinks lemonade, eh? I thought he drank tears from the weeping angels and ate only the freshest Desert Carrion. :)

Ron Franklin 3 years, 10 months ago

yep. sounds like its gonna be hard to sway him from dookie

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

CLICK!!! That was the sound of the door closing on Kansas with Mr,. Rivers. I found it interesting that the type of car the recruiters came in seemed to be a big deal.

It would be ironic, however if Austin pulled a "Josiah" and committed to KU after his visit, leaving Duke holding the bag!!

Rick Arnoldy 3 years, 10 months ago

All that lemonade must be why his lips are always puckered.

oldalum 3 years, 10 months ago

Fun reading. Wonder why he didn't say what kind of car Self and Manning were driving.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

If they had showed up in Pollard's old entry burns green beauty, Marvin the Martian, he would have signed on the spot!!!

Andrew Moore 3 years, 10 months ago

Oh man, looks like Duke won... Better focus on Quinn Cook!

tis4tim 3 years, 10 months ago

Lasagna...never a good sign.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

Hey Zeus Chris Tay...I laughed my ass off!! :} :} :}

I think I remember Coach Roy talking about recruiting in that you better eat everything given to you or you'll upset the Mom!! He hated pizza but he ate it when he had to.

I guess the Lasagna wasn't very good!!

kushaw 3 years, 10 months ago

It is known in the recruiting circles that Murphy and Tarczewski are high on KU. I find it amusing that in both instances when the Boston Globe mentions the list of schools it doesn't mention Kansas. Maybe because Self and Kansas were already mentioned ? What do you all think?

Andrew Moore 3 years, 10 months ago

I'm not overly optimistic about this 2011 class, and neither is Self. I thought we had Turner locked and loaded, now after virtually ignoring Cook for the last few months we're jumping back in. I hope we can land him because he's a great player, but he has to feel like the second choice and that isn't good for our chances.

Kaleb T. and Murphy are both big time east coast guys who probably wont leave the east coast. I'm glad Self got in on these kids early because it sounds like their recruitment is getting crowded.

Of course if Austin Rivers decides to come to Kansas then we won't need a PG recruit, Rivers plays the best with the ball in his hands. I can already envision a Ty Taylor Austin Rivers backcourt. Nasty! As long as we can get him on campus I think we have a shot. Though not a great one, its still something. I just hope he hasn't made his mind up already.

I think the worst case scenario at this point is going O-fer and missing on Ben McLemore and Angelo Chol, I think those two are the biggest KU leaners on the board. I think the best case would be Austin, Ben, LeBryan Nash and Chol/Hopkins/or Pelle.

All we have to do is get these kids on campus for a game or for late night. Let them see Allen Fieldhouse when its rockin and chalkin!

KUbsee69 3 years, 10 months ago

"... and neither is Self."

How do you know?

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

WOW...more like Arizona threw LeBryan under the bus...while it was moving!!

Man oh Man, at least let the kid make the visit, see the place, s### happens and maybe the circumstances change.

Major dumbass move by Arizona, and don't think other recruits won't hear about it!!

JJHAWK 3 years, 10 months ago

Ironic how spoiled we've beome. Anybody remember the Roy year where we only got one (rated very raw) recruit, and he never started? Or the year we got five recruits who had excellent basketball aptitude but bad attitudes and in less that 12 months only Chris Piper was still on campus.

Coach Self consistently has deeper benches than any of the KU BB coaches I've followed in the last 40 years. Think about who will have trouble starting this year. I'm not giving up on this year as far as recruiting goes, but it only takes one outstanding player to make a class superb and if we get a couple that will start in their junior and senior seasons - good also.

AverageCitizen 3 years, 10 months ago

Well Austin may not know any players at KU but Quinn Cook certainly does. Duke fans really want Quinn to come there but we may have the upper hand with Quinn just like they seems to with Austin. We'll get ours!

Jaminrawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Quinn Cook, Ben McLemore and LeBryant Nash would be a heck of a haul. Rivers seems to be dead-set on Duke. He writes about Coach K like he's in absolute awe and the fact Kyrie Irving is so close to him just screams that he's going to be a Blue Devil. Coach Self has gotten those guys before though, so who knows?

swunruh 3 years, 10 months ago

So what's up with the NCAA and Josh Selby. I'm sure everyone including Josh is tired of waiting for an answer.

steamboat 3 years, 10 months ago

What is it with Self and all the drama that comes with so many of his recruits? For example. .......Arthur, Rush and Selby, why can't it be simpler for the kids and the loyal Red and Blue. Seems like every year it's like this. Those are just the latest in the past few years. It's get frickin' old!!! Does anyone know Selby's status yet??

Andrew Moore 3 years, 10 months ago

It may be getting old but its hard to complain when it gets results

steamboat 3 years, 10 months ago

What results?? All the drama just to tolerate the never-ending one and dones. So we win the Big 12 for 6 years running. That means we're better than 11 other teams. Whoppee. Early exits with the exception of '08. those get old too. What did we have last year? 2 AP all-americans and the so-called X man and Northern Iowa sent us packing. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSE!!!! More like the F man. Bring back those hard working Simeins and the Pollards and the Haase's and the La Frentz that will stay 4 years without the hype.

kubball99 3 years, 10 months ago

You might want to think about some of your comments regarding Self and his staff before complaining about his recruiting and his results at Kansas. "Those hard working Simeins, and the Pollards, and the Haase's and the LaFrentz" never produced a National Championship for KU (which is ultimately the goal in college basketball, right?). Also I'm not sure about "the never-ending one and dones" as Xavier has been the only one-and-done player under Coach Self (or ever at KU, I believe). Selby hasn't even played a season at Kansas yet, how do you know he's a one-and-done?

Self was able to do in 6 years what Williams was never able to do in 15 years - win a title. Not to mention winning the Big 12 for 6 years in a row and 6 out of the last 7 years at Kansas. While there is some "drama" with the players Self has recruited in now his eighth year, I don't know why you would question the type of players he brings in. His recruiting provided results at Illinois and at Kansas. While Williams was (is now) a great coach and did great things for KU, Kansas is much better with Self at the helm than when Williams was at KU (Self's results prove it).

steamboat 3 years, 10 months ago

Yep Self's results are tantalizing>>>> Bucknell= LOSS Bradley = LOSS Nortern Iowa = LOSS. After being the overall no. 1 seed. BTW wasn't Arthur a OAD? Maybe not. Yep winning the Big12 is impressive Like I said that means we're better than teams like NU CU ISU TT KSU ..

kubball99 3 years, 10 months ago

While I agree the losses to Bucknell, Bradley, and Northern Iowa were disappointments, does it really matter who the loss is to if KU doesn't win a national championship? A loss is a loss, whether against Northern Iowa, Syracuse, Arizona, Rhode Island, or North Carolina. Self was able to bring a championship to KU for the first time in 20 years, something Roy never did (since you're clearly basing results on the NCAA tournament alone).

Arthur was not a OAD. He left after the 2008 season, his sophomore year.

I think winning the Big 12 says a lot for six straight years as it is consistently one of the best college basketball conferences in the country. The Big 12 consistently sends as many or more teams to the NCAA tournament as any other conference (except maybe the Big East). So winning the Big 12 certainly is more impressive than you would indicate. Roy was only able to win the Big 8 /Big 12 in 8 of his 15 seasons at Kansas (for reference).

steamboat 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for sharing!!! I'll still take Roy and his never ending tenacity and hard-headed approach. Don't get me wrong, I've been a KU fan for 50 years but I like Roy. ROCK CHALK

JJHAWK 3 years, 10 months ago

Steamboat

If the recruiting process upsets your digestion so terribly - choose something else to follow (& whine about). Lots to choose from,

Myself, I'd rather have the National Championship and those 3 losses that you are so distraught over, than have won those games and not have the championship.

Part of the problem could be perspective - I remember the years we were getting thumped by Missouri and Norm and by Oklahoma and Billy Tubbs fairly regularly. And the years we didn't even make the NCAA tournament. That has not been on our event horizon under Coach Self.

And hard losses in the tournament to lesser ranked teams is part of life: Remember when Calipari's Rhode Island team shot us out of the tournament, or when Arizona with freshman point guards took out our number one ranked Hawks. Such is life - but at least we were in the game!

kubball99 3 years, 10 months ago

+1. Completely agree. Maybe it's just all perspective...

Jaminrawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Steamboat - Ask yourself this question: "Would I trade the last 6 years of KU Basketball for the same success of UCLA (3 straight Final Fours) or Michigan State?" While those teams may have had deeper runs, they don't have anything to show for it. KU at least has a National Title and your much mocked conference titles. Get a grip. I guess fans like you are the reason our rival fans say we are snobs and spoiled. Most teams make their first objective to win their conference title. The NCAA tournament takes a lot of talent, a good draw and some luck. 64 teams have gone home disappointed those past 6 years. At least KU wasn't one of them in 2008.