Saturday, November 20, 2010

NCAA clears Josh Selby to play for KU starting Dec. 18

Freshman must first serve suspension, pay $4,600 to charity

Kansas freshman guard Josh Selby has been cleared for play by the NCAA. The news was announced Friday following KU’s 93-60 win over North Texas, a victory that helped extend a streak matching the longest home win streak in Allen Fieldhouse.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Josh Selby and Bill Self

KU freshman Josh Selby and KU coach Bill Self answer questions about the NCAA's ruling on Selby following KU's 93-60 victory over North Texas on Nov. 19, 2010.

Download podcast

Videos

NCAA rules on Josh Selby

video thumbnail

Josh Selby addressed the media on the NCAA's ruling after Kansas' win over Friday, November 19, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University’s basketball fans chanted, “We want Selby, we want Selby,” with just over 13 minutes left in the Jayhawks’ rout of North Texas on Friday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

Their wish has been granted.

Josh Selby, KU’s 6-foot-2 freshman guard from Baltimore, who has missed two exhibition games and the first three games of the regular season, will make his collegiate debut against Southern California on Dec. 18 in Allen Fieldhouse.

After months of investigating and deliberating, the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff ruled Friday that Selby must miss nine regular-season games for accepting impermissible benefits prior to his signing an athletics aid agreement at KU.

The benefits include clothes, transportation, meals and lodging for Selby and his family. The university and the NCAA have determined that the value of these benefits is $4,607.58. Selby must pay back that money to a charity of his choice.

Family friend

The NCAA said that even when the source of the benefits is a long-time family acquaintance when the student-athlete was a childhood acquaintance of the source’s son, or when the source is a mentor of the student-athlete, the receipt of benefits is impermissible.

The source of the benefits, the family has said in the past, is Robert Frazier, a former classmate of Selby’s mom, Maeshon Witherspoon, and business manager of NBA player Carmelo Anthony. Frazier, at Witherspoon’s request, assisted the Selbys during recruiting and he accompanied Selby on visits to some schools, including KU.

“I think it’s a fair ruling, yes I do,” KU coach Bill Self said after Friday’s game. He learned of the NCAA’s decision before shootaround on Friday afternoon and told both Selby and Witherspoon at that time. “I think it’s a fair ruling because the rules are black and white — 30 percent of games (when impermissible benefits are over $1,000), and that’s 30 percent.

“It’s not one (ruling) that anyone is overly excited about, but it’s very fair and certainly understandable,” Self added. “He is kind of a victim of circumstance, to be quite honest. We do have rules and it’s pretty clear how the rules read, but if you’re a 17-year-old out there and nobody tells you these things, you could easily get caught up in the same thing. Even though there was no ill intent by Josh and his family, we and they understand there are consequences if rules are violated.

“Hopefully he can be an example for other youngsters out there moving forward. He’s disappointed that it’s that many games, but he’s excited to know that he will be in a Kansas uniform before too long.”

Selby will not appeal the ruling.

Asked whether he thought it was fair, Selby said: “That’s not for me to comment on because the NCAA will do what they want to regardless. I’m just happy it’s not the entire year because it could have been worse than what it is.”

Selby said he didn’t do anything wrong because he didn’t know accepting benefits from a family friend was against the rules.

“I’m happy I got everything over with the NCAA. I did nothing wrong. They made that decision. We have to follow some rules,” Selby said. “I’m just happy it didn’t turn out in the same situation as Enes Kanter (ineligible Kentucky player), missing the whole season. I’m happy to be back out there with my team.

“Even though I’m disappointed I have to miss nine games, I’m happy that I know when I can be on the court with my teammates. I’m looking forward to helping my team win another conference championship.”

‘Held accountable’

In a release, the NCAA said the staff’s decision is “consistent with student-athlete reinstatement committee guidelines, which start at a 30 percent withholding from games for a student-athlete who receives impermissible benefits valued at more than $1,000. Impermissible benefits are those benefits provided to an individual based on their status as an athlete, unless other NCAA rules permit the benefit in question.”

“Our members have made it clear that student-athletes who receive impermissible benefits must be held accountable,” stated Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president for academic and membership affairs.

KU interim Athletic Director Sean Lester spoke with NCAA members extensively during the past few months.

“I’m happy for Josh and his family that they can put this behind them,” Lester said. “This process had several moving parts, the first one being academics. Once that was addressed, we and the NCAA moved to the eligibility aspect. We knew it would take time, and we appreciate our partnership with the NCAA and our constant communication during this process.”

The bottom line is Selby, who is practicing, will be ready to play against USC. Asked of the fans’ chant and desire to see him play ball, he said: “It made me feel loved.”

Interactive Timeline

Josh Selby Timeline

View the timeline in a separate page

Comments

JayHok 3 years, 11 months ago

By the way, I was at the Kentucky game last night in Portland at the Rose Garden.

Portland sucked.

This guy (my avatar) was a camera-guy in the middle of the court all night during the game. He's wearing a 2008 championship shirt.

Needless to say UK fans didn't like hearing the Rock Chalk Chant at a game the Jayhawks weren't even playing in!

Hats off to this random cameraman in Portland!

TenaciousD 3 years, 11 months ago

That's awesome! I watched that Kentucky game and they don't look nearly as good as they did last year at this time. I can certainly see why Terrance Jones went there instead of KU. He would have been coming off the bench behind the Twins (and T-Rob) for sure. He's good, but not that good.

Interesting to see that North Carolina lost to Minnesota. The highlights on ESPN made them look pretty bad.

Viggo3003 3 years, 11 months ago

That's awesome, good Karma and Rock Chalk to the mystery cameraman!

JayHok 3 years, 11 months ago

The Rock Chalk chant ensued couple times between me and the random camerman and these other random Portland folks I was sitting next to who had decided they would tick the UK crowd off. It was topped off by the random KU camera man and a few others (like 4) in the crowd waving the wheat. Good for a laugh and a few teeny tiny grunts from UK's people. Lasted about 15 seconds, but the spirit of Allen Fieldhouse indeed took over a game the Jayhawks weren't even playing in.

Terrence Jones. He wouldn't get much time at Kansas this year, however he is good, a little mistake prone with a hot head but playing through it. He will probably go NBA if there's no lockout. Portland Pilots flat out sucked however they did have Jack Sickma's kid.

kevinj83 3 years, 11 months ago

I won't go as far as to say we're winning it all, but to say we haven't played anyone is a bit false. Valpo is no slouch, and North Texas returned a tournament team that gave KSU a run for their money last year. Not to mention they just came off an upset against a TTU squad that returned the starters who gave KU hell last year. To beat both teams by 30+ points is a pretty good feat.

JayHok 3 years, 11 months ago

I would agree we have to get better at D and Withey needs to become even more of a force.

My gut is telling me we will win the title this year and HCBS will get these guys playing lockdown D, even more than we saw last night.

It's November.

We're gonna win the title.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry, I must be hallucinating... is that soobawls saying something positive about our team (albeit in backhanded fashion)?? Wow. Someone mark this day down....

I do agree, neither team was Cornell from last year, but that Cornell team was a very, very good and disciplined team.

Don't disagree about the defense (I think it's better than last year, but still needs to improve), but I do think that will develop with time.

Viggo3003 3 years, 11 months ago

Soobawls do you have a website where I can buy a Soobawls T-shirt? It would make a great Christmas gift or I could wear it when getting screened by the airport TSA staff

Steve Gantz 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't always agree with you but I thought the same thing. We haven't seen this kid play, look what UNC's freshman all america did last night. And 3 pointless games, 5 if you count the exhibition games, means we haven't played anyone yet.

PAHAWK1 3 years, 11 months ago

I do not get the logic. Barnes goes 0-12......so Selby may not be good. These are two different programs run by two coaches with different philosophies. Why can't we trust in coach Self and believe that this kid is going to be great?

LAJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

PAHAWK1, It is bad logic, but I think the point is you have to wait and see. We shouldn't "believe" he will be great, but instead HOPE he will but be level-headed about the fact that he might struggle some.

TenaciousD 3 years, 11 months ago

Duke looks great this year and return almost everyone from last years team. As much as I hate the thought of it, they stand a good chance of going undefeated this year. I hope I'm wrong. I do think KU will be there in the end though. This KU team is very good already.

Josh Selby's energy and confidence should keep the Jayhawks from hitting those slow periods like we had toward the end of the first half against the Mean Green.

Rock Chalk!

funkitect 3 years, 11 months ago

9 games and be back by dec. 18. that includes the 3 games already played, which i guess is good. good to finally have this out of the way, though! a lot of relief for everyone.

can't wait to see you on the court, josh!

kubballjunkie 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah baby!!!!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sucks it's nine games, but at least he'll be ready to go before conference season. Still seems like the NCAA could have ruled on this weeks ago - they had to have known before today that the benefits were going to easily exceed $1,000. When they figured that out why didn't they let us know instead of leaving everybody hanging? Why wait until the exact dollar amount was established? Oh well, now if the NBA would just have a lockout...........

theajayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

wow...the quick first step and explosion reminds you of Allen Iverson.

kufaninmo 3 years, 11 months ago

That is one SIIIICK VIDEO!!! Having him on any team is pretty much unfair! Can't wait to see him dominate...

dynamitehawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh snap! Thanks for the link. I can't wait.

bennybob 3 years, 11 months ago

That assist at 0:27 ..... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LAJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow. That kid has a lot of just pure talent. And that first step/cross over is insane. Impressive. Can't wait to see what he can do at the D1 level...

nohohawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I am happy this has come to an end but am even more extremely frustrated by the details that have come out. This kid has been on the recruiting radar for a few years and the details about this situation have been out since April. You mean to tell me that the NCAA didn't start looking into the situation on whether Selby was an amateur athlete until two weeks ago??? Shame on the NCAA for procrastinating and showing how little they care about the student athlete and the situations they are in.

My second gripe is, who is the NCAA to decide what is an impermissible when it comes to friends and family helping a family? I can tell you that my family helps other families in need, especially during the Holidays. Some are friends and family and some we never meet. This includes helping get bills caught up, food and clothing and Christmas presents. Does this mean if one of the children in one of these families becomes a 5 Star athlete that they may have to pay back these dollars in order to be eligible to play sports FOR the NCAA? If you say that no, the player would not have to pay back those benefits received by my family then would that change if my profession was sports related rather than in the advertising industry?

Selby and his family have received roughly $5,000 in help from a family friend over the past few years. This isn't someone buying them a house, buying them a $60,000 new Hummer or anything like that. Bay was helping a friend in need!

Instead of spending so much time and money trying to determine who is eligible and who is not, how about 1) Start an education program with a conference every year inviting high school athletic directors and pay for those athletic directors to attend. This will help the NCAA deliver the message that needs to be relayed to student athletes. 2) Rewrite the rules on what is acceptable, because I believe it is a gray area and not "black and white" due to the example situation above. A high school athlete could be found ineligible or eligible and it really depends on what my profession is.

If the NCAA is going to continue to run their organization in this manner then it needs to no longer exist. College sports do not exist because of the NCAA, the NCAA exists because of college sports.

theajayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I can see the NCAA perspective. They have to draw the line. Otherwise everyone is a friend of the family.

aerohawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree with your first paragraph. Based on the results it seems like this decision could have been made quicker. Since there is the gray area you mentioned, there may have been a much larger amount of money in question that we didn't hear about because it wasn't against the rules (I have no reason to believe this is the case). I think the NCAA is just inept.

I don't agree with the second and third paragraphs. The impermissible benefits are those that were provided due to the athlete status of the individual (from the article). The benefits (~$5000) were provided to support recruiting trips etc. and provided because Selby was an athlete. Based on what was written, if you can show the money had nothing to do with the kid being an athlete it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree some more time should be spent on re-thinking the rules and providing education to the kids. I am not totally against the idea of providing some kind of compensation for the athletes, but it is hard to allow anything without opening the flood gates of schools with money just buying the best kids. It is definitely a slippery slope.

oldalum 3 years, 11 months ago

Seems much the same as Darnell Jackson's issues, except they hit him with all of the first semester.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

It's exactly the same punishment as Darnel: 9 game suspension and pay back the money. Of course, in Darnel's case, there was a horrific car accident, a death, and a lot of hospital bills involved. Otherwise, the two are quite similar.

Ben Kane 3 years, 11 months ago

it's time the ncaa went away. they have outlived their usefulness.

glad to have a decision finally come down. Now Selby can prepare mentally.

Gosh we looked real good last night. I'm loving how this team doesn't just put on the breaks when they are up by 15. (yeah we had a little slump in the 1st last night). this team seams to want to blow out everybody in the gym and i love that.

NH_JHawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I agree, chuckberry32. This team seems to have more of a killer instinct than last year's team did. Nobody is standing around waiting for the PG to make something happen and as a result.... more balanced scoring. Speaking of scoring, so far this team is shooting the ball very well. Between shooting accuracy and our increased offensive aggressiveness, I like what I see so far. ....and Dickie V has us 4th in B12. Cant wait to prove him wrong (again).

TtownHawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Pretty sure he had us 5th in the Big 12. That said, he did say during a game last week that he was suprised with our play and blah blah blah and thinks we'll be there in the end. Bottom line with dickie v is that if you don't have anyone returning from the previous year and you don't have a big time recruit (that he's heard of) then he won't think you're team is any good. He's a tool.

yates33333 3 years, 11 months ago

I think at half time North Texas realized who they were playing and where. They wilted. Until then they looked like a good team, at least as good as the teams KU has played this year. I suspect they will have a pretty good season. If you have never played at Allen Field House you can't understand the shock and awe of 16,000 mad people yelling at the top of their voices or the impact of the banners hanging from the rafters or the speed at which KU plays when they see you are stumbling. KU has an impressive group this year, only to get better with Selby. I hope they can take this ability on the road and continue to play like they did last night.

I bet even jaybate was impressed.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Yep, I believe everyone except Soobawls was impressed. :^)

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

Isn't Ben going to decide today? I saw MU was making a late push by filling Paige Arena (whoops) to about 50 percent capacity in their last game.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I think I read that he was delaying his decision until Spring.

gdkadjayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

The following is from a Nov 16 article in the Columbia Tribune (I'm not a regular reader - just got if from google). It appears that he will verbally commit today, but not sign a letter of intent until later, presumably spring.

"Missouri recruiting target Ben McLemore, a 6-foot-5 senior guard at Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., told the Lawrence Journal-World that he will not sign a letter of intent, as previously planned, during the early period, which ends tomorrow.

But McLemore, whom Rivals.com ranks as the 17th-best prospect in the country, said he plans to make a verbal commitment to either Kansas or Missouri on Saturday after returning to his home in St. Louis, where he will discuss his college options with his family.

“KU is still the favorite,” McLemore told the paper last night. “I’ll go home Friday and commit to a school Saturday. It’s why I’m going home, to talk to my mom and hopefully make a decision.” "

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

i didn't know the columbia tribune printed actuall words, i thought it was pictures and scratch and sniff only! I don't get how MU is even an option. Is he waiting to see what Ty is going to do? Or is the cash under the table just to much for him to walk away from?

hail2olku 3 years, 11 months ago

The columbia tribune is printed in Crayola.

Sam Constance 3 years, 11 months ago

I think you may mean "scratch and scratch"--as in "Missourians are compelled to scratch and scratch after their daily meth binge."

Regardless, there is no scented paper anywhere on Earth that can overcome the foul stench of Missouri, so printing scratch and sniff would be a waste of their already-slim resources.

Dyrk Dugan 3 years, 11 months ago

great news on Selby. we finally know. the NCAA did its ultimate foot drag on this one.....i think this could have been decided a month ago....but it is what it is.

this team, has a real chance to be great this year....we share the ball very well, the Twins look dynamite...and with Elijah and Josh now on the floor....the athleticism of this team just increased exponentially.

North Texas is a good team....not great but good...and we just flicked them off our finger. i just hope that this team stays hungry...and continues to improve. just stay healthy and keep to the grindstone...and we could all be smiling broadly in March.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 11 months ago

FINALLY, maybe now KUSTORE.COM will offer the yearly calendar/schedule with player's photos. I'm sure they were waiting to hear if they needed to include Selby's photo.

gchawk 3 years, 11 months ago

The posters came out a couple of weeks ago, it that's what you're talking about, and they do include Josh's picture on it. I was in Jock's Nitch and Kansas Sampler yesterday and they are giving them away.

LAJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

I have one hanging on the wall in my office... In Southern California...

Jack Wilson 3 years, 11 months ago

mvjayhawk: Don't bet on it .. meaning the athleticism increasing. Selby will change that some, but despite EJ's terrific game, the legend of Brady lives on. Brady had an excellent game, no doubt. I was impressed by his court awareness more than anything last night. But the legend (and myth) perpetrated by some is that Brady can do this consistently, or against top opponents. All in the name of "glue."

If coach Self has demonstrated anything, he is all about the "safe" path. Brady is safe. Releford isn't. EJ isn't. I will be suprised (it would be pleasantly surprised) if Self took the chance and relied heavily on EJ and Releford. I expect Brady to log 20+ even if his line is like the Valpo game. If the guy does what he did last night, or near it, against MU, KSU, UCLA, Michigan, Texas, etc., I will kindly concede. But history says no.

What we saw last night from EJ was what all of the EJ-backers have been saying all along. But the same rules apply to EJ (and Releford) as to Brady .. what will happen when the competition, pressure and intensity increases?

My view is that we have seen what Brady offers under those conditions. We have not seen what EJ (or Releford) offers under those conditions, and we need to see. If EJ and/or Releford wilt after multiple opportunities in those situations, then ok, back to Brady. If they don't, then this team has more upside.

The risk is that we lose a couple games we maybe shouldn't. Ok, we get a #4 or #5 seed instead of a #2. Who cares. The key is how good of a team you have in March. Everything should be prep for March. That is all that counts. March defines how much I enjoy the ride.

With a guy like Marcus leading the way, our expectations should be very, very high. He is everything Self said he is.

Ben Kane 3 years, 11 months ago

I thinking we are looking at another #1 seed. hopefully we get a path as easy as Duke's was last year.

Kurt Eskilson 3 years, 11 months ago

Brady had 10 assists last night. Ten. That's what a glue guy does – helps the rest of the players around him play better. Fill the floor with younger, edgy athletes who (as Self says) "throw the ball all over the place" and none of them play up to their potential. Maybe Selby and/or EJ will be filling that role – and better – by mid-season. That'd be great to see. But until then, a "safe" Brady is helping the younger, less experienced athletes develop. He does what Self asks as best he can, and deserves our respect for it.

92Jhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Thank you! I couldn't agree more. As a former HS basketball and football coach (which I bring up ONLY because it tells people where I've formed my opinions), I love watching kids like Brady do their thing on the court. Is Brady the athelete that players like EJ and Travis are? NO WAY, NO HOW! But he is a basketball player who gets it. Will Brady have a line every game like the one he posted last night? Nope, but he doesn't have to for KU to be a great team. We need him to do all of those things that others don't want to do...play in your face D, get on the floor after loose balls, play without the ball and without needing shots to know that he's contributing...just play tough. I don't know much but there is one thing I know for sure, Coach Self knows more about basketball that all of us combined...I know that I don't have a NC on my resume...

okiedave 3 years, 11 months ago

Maybe somebody can enlighten me on this. How can the NCAA fine a kid $4,607 who was a 17 year old child at the time his family friend helped him out with his decisions. Where does the NCAA think Shelby is going to get $4,607 in less than one month? It isn't a judgment against his parents. K.U. can't give him the money or it will be a violation. If a business in Lawrence hires him, how many hours can he work during the next month while going to classes? Maybe 64 hours. Who is going to pay an 18 yr. old kid $70/hr. for 64 hours of work. Isn't that going to be considered a KU booster paying off a player?

Perhaps the NCAA should build a cell at their headquarters where kids, who do not have have several thousands of dollars in their billfold, can be incarcerated and do some hard time in lieu of paying the judgment.

Am I missing something here.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 11 months ago

exactly. how about community service?!?!??!?! wouldn't that serve everyone better!?!??

selfesteem 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm very excited to see what Selby can do. KU has to have a team concept again like the '08 Championship. We need Kieff and Marcus and Selby to be our 3 NBA quality players every game and the rest of the team needs to step up as well. Who is going to hit the 3 reliably. In '08, Rush, Chalmers, and Collins traded but we had the ability. Who will do it this year from long range?

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

Chuckberry---I agree with you. With Selby being cleared to play after nine games, KU most likely will be a #1 seed. Houston, Texas----here we come.

I saw Kentucky play last night on TV. They are not as good as they were last year. I have seen K-State play three times so far this year and I am not impressed. I have seen Mizzou play and they are not the team that everyone is talking about. I have seen Texas play against Illinois and the Longhorns are physical but it will be a good game at the Phog on Jan. 22nd. I have not seen Duke play yet, but I am sure they are Final 4 good. In watching Selby on video, this team has increased their chances for a Final 4 bid---come on, let's be real---I think they were good without Selby-----now, they are for real. Can we fast forward to March Madness? Wait---don't do that! I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride, baby! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

DoubleDD 3 years, 11 months ago

Trust me Selby will get the money. I like how the NCAA said he could give the money to a charity of his choice. Ah come everybody AAAHHHH. Get a life NCAA. I believe a punishment should be passed down. You don't want agents running around being friends of the family. However I think this is a little excessive. At the very least you could've counted the the two EX games. Hell you did with Wall. Way to be fair and balanced.

aerohawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Sometimes I want to be a purist and sometimes I want to be pragmatic. Part of me wants the system to admit that all of these kids aren't actually amateur athletes. They are going to get paid millions. I don't know why you would want to lock yourself into an agent so early, but if a kid wants to and the agent has no ties to the schools he is considering going to maybe it shouldn't be an issue.

REHawk 3 years, 11 months ago

okiedave, the National Collegiate Athletic Association does not have to build a cell at their headquarters. Essentially, they have insisted that the Kansas Univ. athletic dept. build its own holding tank into which Josh and the program itself can be incarcerated. The jaildoors won't open until the evening of 18 December. Josh and Darnell Jackson just happen to be players in need of outside help to allow them the opportunities available to the average American household. There is something ugly in this level of policing by the NCAA. Here in MidAmerica, at least, the credibility of the organization has taken a big hit. Their spokesperson sounds as cold and mechanical as a member of the U.S. senate defending healthcare benefits for its own lofty membership.

JHawk74 3 years, 11 months ago

Great news on Selby being cleared to play. Too bad it's not right away. Anyway I thought KU looks very good for early season. I don't think Valpo or North Texas were bad teams. Neither team matchs up with KU very well. In their conferences they will do very well. I'm very impressed with EJ and Taylor this year both have improved from last year. Reed and Morningstar are solid again this year and I think Reed has improved. Little and Releford have improved from the Red Shirt year. Morris twins are both as good as advertised. Robinson is more consistent this year and showing he is a great talent. Withey looks good on smaller post players let's see how he does against 6ft10in and taller players. He will good for a 6-8 minutes a game (similar role to Cole in the 2008 championship year.)

The big question is does Selby get into the starting line up this year?

BlakeHallJay 3 years, 11 months ago

How is it that a witting cheater who openly and egregiously lied in a cover-up to the NCAA (Pearl at Tennessee) gets an EIGHT-game suspension, while this kid (who did not wittingly do anything wrong and has done nothing but act with grace and maturity and patience throughout, alongside KU) gets NINE games? That is just ludicrous...

zazy 3 years, 11 months ago

The 8 gam suspension was handed out by the SEC. The NCAA has not ruled (surprise, surprise that they are dragging their feet) on what sanctions will be handed out to Tennessee. I think I read that a decision will come in early 2011.

Michael Pannacciulli 3 years, 11 months ago

AMEN! Pearl should be fired. He's an adult, knew damn well he was wrong, even admitted it. Plus his jackets are hideous...get rid of him. He's probably paying off the NCAA. Oh wouldn't that be sweet justice!!!

kufankam 3 years, 11 months ago

OKIEDAVE - that was my initial question as well... where does this kid come up with that kind of money. i have always wondered that same thing when they hit these college kids up to repay their financial benefits back. i have asked several people that i thought might know and we can never figure it out. if the kid just had that kind of money to spare, he wouldn't have had to rely on the help from the family friend. please, anyone in the know, help us out with how they go about repaying this money and do so without violating ncaa rules once again.

Eric Baker 3 years, 11 months ago

A booster will probably anonymously donate the money to be repaid. I'm not entirely sure, but I think a UK booster paid back the money John Wall owed.

Sam Constance 3 years, 11 months ago

Which begs the question--

How is that any different than receiving the benefits in the first place?

Selby owes $4600.

Booster pays $4600

Does that not fit the same definition the NCAA uses for "impermissible benefits"? Money given to a student athlete that would not have been given to them if not for their status as an athlete?

kufankam 3 years, 11 months ago

1jhawk2 3 years, 11 months ago

I don't care who is out for about 7-10 minutes a game, FUMU's 40 minutes of hell shouldn't be able to hold water against KU's line up of Selby, Taylor, Johnson, Mc. Morris and T-Rob. After they apply awesome pressure on D with fast break points and dominating offense, you replace them with Reed, Morningstar, Releford, Little and Mk Morris. Not as strong of a line up, but still competitive with any other starting line up in the Big 12. This could be a ton of fun to watch with the athleticism we have on this team.

Greg Lux 3 years, 11 months ago

Glad it's finally over ( the suspense ). Although I hate the 9 game wait it will probably be very good for EJ. He is going to get a lot more PT then if Josh was available and it can be nothing but helpful for his confidence. I think its a win win for KU. I can't wait for my early Christmas present.

Rock Chalk

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 11 months ago

I see possible friction if EJ keeps playing as well as he did last night and then loses most of his playing time as soon as Selby is eligible. They are building good team chemistry without Selby. I guess that's the issues HCBS gets paid to solve.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

JHawk74---I am not HCBS, but would imagine Selby will come off the bench to begin with and then, eventually, crack the starting lineup. I could be wrong, though, who knows.

jhawkerman---you talk about a Christmas present----I want my Spring Break surprise with a game VS the Dukies for the National Championship! Rock Chalk!

DoubleDD 3 years, 11 months ago

Where does Selby get the money??? What country do you live in?? This is the land of borrowing money. :) No bank or credit card company would turn down this future lottery pick a loan. You know borrow from Peter to pay Paul. As far as I know a Scholarship player can borrow all the money he wants as long as its not from boosters and those closely connected the the School of choice. So banks and credit card companies who have no connection to the School or the NCAA for that matter should and are legit.

TXjaybird 3 years, 11 months ago

DD, my thoughts exactly. I never had very much extra money during college either, but always found a way to go on spring break. It's called "thank you uncle sam, I'll pay you back later." I doubt his tuition, books, food, housing, etc.. are setting him back right now. My hope is that these guys gel at the right time and play some tough interior defense. Should be another fun year of KU b-ball.

Selbyville 3 years, 11 months ago

I am arranging the purchase of tickets to that came as we speak, or I speak. Whichever you prefer

Josh was screwed, he didn't deserve to wait as long as he did, didn't deserve a suspension of that length, and he shouldn't have to pay a fine.

It's all good though, because he will make millions of dollars in a couple years. And I am confident he will be the most effective NBA player that we've sent in recent years

Vic Janeway 3 years, 11 months ago

Im very impressed with the teamwork that they are demostrating now. I am now leary of shelby, that he might take something away from that. Anyway Im glad its over too.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

Selby cleared after first semester.....that will put "The Streak" to it's first real test with UCLA on Dec. 2. Sorry, I thought sure ESPN would pressure the NCAA into the 11/27 date but, based on going all the way, that gives Josh a maximum of 31 games this season. More than enough time to make an impact and do a lot of damage!!!

I can hardly wait for the UK trollers to show up and start blasting us for being "NCAA privledged". Where is KY_ Wildcat anyway??? Not much chatter since "The Turk" got taken down!!!! :)

FairgroveJayhawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Self is the king of PR. not complaining, siding with his player, spinning it as an opportunity to educate other young athletes. etc.

Can't wait until the USC beat down.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

Nasty rumor going around that he wants to declare for Kansas but his family isn't letting him. I cannot substantiate this situation and none of the local sports depts in St.Louis know anything.

It was never clearly expressed when, where or how this announcement was to take place.

Maybe he had trouble getting home from school Maybe they backed off with the news that Josh was declared eligible? Maybe the family is pulling out all the stops to change his mind? Maybe he needs more time to convince everyone that KU is his choice? Maybe it's a good sign no one locally is covering it because he will declare himself KU bound.

I just don't know....and besides, this is just a verbal. Anything can happen.

Ron Franklin 3 years, 11 months ago

I smell something stinchy if his family is arguing against his own will....that just does not make sense.

I would understand if he were choosing UNC or Tennesee Tech over Missouri, but geeeeeesh. it's KANSAS.

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 11 months ago

OK, so Selby was allowed to attend classes per the NCAA first.

And now he is ruled eligible to play after serving a suspension.

Maybe it's my inability to comprehend the obvious. But, monetary penalties for a student athlete seem a little odd. The payment to a charity is obviously meant to teach a lesson to this "perp", as is the suspension from games. Is all of this really sending a message to the community of 17 year olds who might repeat the same "offenses"?

The real loser in this is the university where he should be performing his talents on the basketball court. There is no ruling that is directed to the university exceept to comply with his suspension from playing in these games. His future will not be affected by this decision. Rather, the university and team will be potentially negatively affected. The NCAA is in theory punishing the university not the student-athlete.

aerohawk 3 years, 11 months ago

The article makes is sound like some of the benefits were received when he came to KU for a visit. But I doubt the situation would be any different if that wasn't the case.

The system is hosed. I don't know how to fix it but something is broke.

dynamitehawk 3 years, 11 months ago

The idea of amateurism is ridiculous. Speaking of ridiculous, isn't Kansas Athletics a non-profit? Would the NCAA accept Josh donating to the Williams Fund, for his punishment? I heard that there's some petty cash missing over there...

Kidding aside, this is great news. I am very happy with everything about KU Basketball. This kid is going to be really fun to watch.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

"Saturday After a Win Comparable to Falling in Love"

~Yes, anyone can blow out a mid major...that can't make a single trey.

~No, I was not as accurate in my pre-game forecast about KU's need to take NTSU seriously, as I was in forecasting KU to blow out Valpo/Alpo. But Johnny Jones did scheme KU pretty well and Jones did make some excellent adjustments about 7-8 minutes into the first half to keep it a game, as long as KU and NTSU were both not hitting treys, and as long as Self played his substitutes as liberally as he did.

~To my credit, I did test the following to my friend who was at the game during half time: "KU up by 7 at half not hitting treys and giving subs so many minutes is not bad. If KU hits its treys the second half, KU will blow NTSU out." KU did exactly that.

~I love our team...after last night.

~I have a man crush on the whole GD bunch of them...now.

~The team that couldn't play D played D...the second half.

~The team that couldn't hit the trey hit the trey...the second half...at 60%.

~The Morris Twins are bonafide studs vs. mid majors, which is the first step to becoming studs against majors, and then later against the best. Can't say yet how they will respond to XTReme Muscle by majors till they face it, but I believe they and TRob will do well against it by late this season.

~I can't say enough good things about Marcus and Kieff, so I will pay them the highest compliment you can have under Bill Self: they are now nearly consummate Okie Ballers.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

~The only place I look at Marcus and see room for getting better as a collegian is this: he is still not certain money, when he gets the ball on the blocks, say, the way Simien was, when healthy. Marcus is a different player, not as powerfully muscled, more smooth, so he may never reach certain money on the blocks. But I want him to strive for it, because I think it is within his grasp.

~Kieff's fouling will now have him labelled "foul prone" and so opposing coaches are going to spend all their time scheming him into fouls. So: Kieff will be fouled up frequently until late in the season, when all fouling stops being called for extended stretches to keep the big games, and then the conference tourneys and Madness games, in various time zones, in their broadcast windows. The good news is: TRob and Withey will get plenty of development minutes until the refs stop calling fouls in mid February.

~TRob may become the greatest rebounder KU has had since Bill Bridges, and that is saying something considering Cole was just here and there have been some darned good glassvaccers since Bridges. TRob has something even Cole lacked that Bridges had. TRob has the weird, near alchemical ability to start out in the right position for rebounds. It is almost like the ball comes of the rim looking for TRob. Cole always had the sixth sense about where it was going and was always ahead of others in the mad stork flight to the ball. TRob and Bill Bridges were always already there. This knack is the difference between great rebounders like Cole, and rebounding savants like TRob and Bridges. Part of it is the sixth sense and part of it is their incredible strength that allows them to take and hold any positions they like on the floor, even against guys bigger than them. Bottom line, TRob appears a rebounding savant.

~As I wrote yesterday, the time for KU to run is with TRob in the game. Kieff, a good board man in his own right, is just too good of an offensive threat to waste his minutes with grey hounds running away from him. TRob is less of a scorer (for now anyway) and such a terrific rebounder, that when TRob is in, the 3 position player can release on the break essentially every time, at least against all but the best teams, and probably even some of those.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

~TRob Assessment: When he is under control, which is still only about half the time (up from none of the time last season), he is doing most everything, including offense, right. He has a superb spin move to baseline on the PG's left side of the court. If he can perfect it on the PG's right side of the court, its all we need from him (assuming his stick backs regardless) this season. If he can play under control full time by February, he can play as many minutes as Self wants and we suffer little drop off from Kieff in defense and rebounding. We are on track for the best we could have hoped for from a potential NBA player and almost certainly our next DBlock; that is, a big with presence beyond his size. When his self control is mastered, he will be a stunning force.

~To the board rats that keep calling for Brady and Tyrel to sit so EJ, Releford and Little can play, yesterdays game made starkly clear why Brady and Tyrel keep playing so much. They can do what what a player must do under control 90-100 percent of the time. EJ, Releford and Little can only do it 50-60 percent of the time and only then in certain aspects of the game.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

~EJ Assessment: He looked the best he has ever looked. This means that he has finally learned to play defense under control without getting burned, and his athleticism combined with his new two inches just makes him a royal pain in the butt to any offensively active PG. EJ for the first time in his life now deserves to be on Naismith floor...to play defense. His offense is still 70-80 percent out of control. In brief moments, when he is not over stimulated (and this is the perfect description for what limits EJ), his scripted offense and shooting are tolerable and his impact moves make one drool. But when he becomes the least bit over-stimmed, he is still a freshman on offense. To summarize, EJ has made huge strides from last season. His role this season so long as he continues to get better is as a tall back up PG who will can come in and shut down any PG that gets to hot for Ty to handle, until Ty has had a blow. EJ should play about 10-15 minutes in this role, 20-25 should he learn to control himself on offense, as he will eventually. This has nothing to do with PT. Judging from EJ's play last night, Self was totally right not to play him last season. His over stimulation problem relates more to developmental stage of his life, than anything else. EJ is an incredible talent just starting to come out of the pupal state. Every player comes out of this state at different times. It is not at all about physical talent. It is about psychological stage of development. Marcus was barely ready as frosh. Brady wasn't. He needed to red shirt. Tyrel was born ready psychologically, but it took his body a couple of years to develop. He only got to play a little sooner, because he had a trey gun and was able to play under control. Jo Jo White was born ready physically and psychologically. So were Wilt and Danny. So was Sherron, etc., etc. EJ needs exactly the incremental increase in playing time that Self is spoon feeding him. EJ is a terrific defender now. Soon, when he is playing under control on offense, he is going to be the rarest of the rare: a tall point guard. Like the late blooming girl who becomes a Hollywood movie star, its in the cards for EJ. But it will take a little more time.

(To be continued)

Mike Bratisax 3 years, 11 months ago

If he can play consistently well as he did last night, he deserves to keep getting the opportunity to play important minutes in games and not relegated out of the rotation.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

Oh, believe you me, EJ is going to be playing important minutes from now on, so long as he does not get even more jumpy and out of control on offense. He is the first sub at the PG. Self said so. This guaranties him at least 10 minutes every game, 5 each half giving Ty a blow 7-8 minutes into each half. His on-ball defense warrants it. The only time he may not get those minutes is if Self thinks he needs some trifectation at the point, or if Self wants to eliminate mistakes at the point using Tyrel, or Brady.

Steve Brown 3 years, 11 months ago

Wilt,Danny, Jo Jo maybe darnel valentine as well.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

Definitely Darnell V. Probably some others, too.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

(To be continued)

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

hey ben, if your reading this (which if your like most you stop reading the comments once jaybate pops in with his never ending post that take ten minutes to scroll through) turn on espn3 to the mu game. they are struggling with north central florida atlantic state tech university in an empty arena. that 40 minutes of hell philosophy mu plays under is taking on an entirely different meaning!

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

Dear ahmanpursecoachingexperiencewanted,

Why do you want experience coaching a man purse?

I didn't know man purses needed coaching.

Are there many D1 programs with man purse teams?

Are you pulling my leg?

Or what?

:-)

ahpersecoachingexperience 3 years, 11 months ago

if i read them on my iphone i go cross eyed. you know like ruby sue, she falls in a well, eyes go crossed. she gets kicked by a mule, they go back to normal. rock chalk!

REHawk 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey, jaybate, I really enjoy your never ending posts. Keep em coming. I hope EJ reads what you have to say. TRob, too. Was a joy and relief to watch EJ bounce back so well from his 2-game suspension by Coach Self. I think coach might have to accept his 2 or 3 steps forward, one step back, in the same vein that he has come to grips with Tyshawn's play. Those two guys are capable of super stuff, and are well worth the accompanying dismay. If they both stay 4 years, they should project as millionaires come some future NBA DraftDay.

Chris Bruning 3 years, 11 months ago

is ben mclemore still verbally commiting today??

ParisHawk 3 years, 11 months ago

• Selby payback: Darnell had something like $100 withheld from his KU stipend every month and paid directly to charity. He didn't have to pay it all back right away.

• McLemore: someone on twitter just said the announcement has been put off until tomorrow.

Sam Constance 3 years, 11 months ago

This got me thinking about an issue I've often wondered about.

Do student athletes actually get a stipend or not?

I was always under the impression that they do as well, but Gary Williams (Maryland) has been really pushing hard for student athletes to be paid in some fashion and one of his arguments is that they don't even get a stipend.

He's not the only one I've heard make this argument, so now I'm not sure what is correct.

Can anyone shed some light? Supporting links are even better and much appreciated.

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate---thanks for your posts---definitely thought provoking.

BTW, even in the post-game interview with HCBS, he said he was pleasantly surprised by EJ's performance. It has taken me a long time to realize what EJ and TRob have to offer. I come to realize that they are valuable pieces in the success of the Jayhawks this year!

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

They are crucial, as are Little, Brady and Tyrel, too. This team can win it all if all of these players can be utilized. Whether they can all be utiized depends on whether they are all willing to settle for the minutes available. I really believe Self should use them all, if they all are able to play under control this season.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

"Saturday After a Win Comparable to Falling in Love" (Continued)

~Travis Releford is farther along than EJ in playing under control, because he is a third year guy coming off a rouge Italian smoking jacket, but he still is battling the same over stimulation issues that EJ does. Releford looks legit D1 on offense and defense...when he is under control. But really not when not. And where EJ is solid on defense most of the time and shaky on offense most of the time, TRel is kind of 75 percent under control on both O and D, and 25 percent out of control. But anyone who can play Self Defense even 75 percent of the time is going to get minutes. TRel is almost as fast sliding as EJ and Tyshawn are accelerating on cuts. TRel is the tallest sidewinder I have ever seen and this is why Self gave him the shirt and why Self has been so patient with him. TRel has an ability that many great players have. He can be on one corner of the half court, then be in the other in the blink of an eye and you didn't even see him do it. TRel can shrink court space with the best of them. Also, TRel looks like he fits with Marcus, Kieff, Tyshawn, regardless of who else is in the fourth spot. This is a great edge for TRel in the battle for minutes. He has fit and chemistry with him. Unlike Mario Little, TRel does not yet have that large personality and physique that tips the corner in his direction. TRel, like Tyrel and Brady, fits in...when he plays under control. Fitting in is essential on this team, because every combination of players Self puts on the floor is going to have at least 2-3-4 impact players (Marcus, Kieff, Tyshawn, and Selby). Defense, passing, trey shooting, degree of fit and ability to enable the impact players will determine who plays with them. Tyrel and Brady have fit hardwired. When they shoot well, they are hard to keep out of the line up. But there are many times during most games when a long defender like TRel will be gold. He will play.

(To be continued)

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate---

As I mentioned before, the Jayhawks need to work on help-side defense and interior defense. Some of Coach Self's criticisms are that if they double team the big from the other team, we (jayhawks on D) are two slow to react when the pass is made out of the double team. Any thoughts? I think our back court defense is very good right now and is only going to get better for obvious reasons.

jaybate 3 years, 11 months ago

The new guys, including both those like Kieff that are new to starting and being anchors, as well as those with limited experience, like Little, Releford and EJ, still have their hands full just trying to guard their men as tightly as Self requires. Any time the intensity spikes, they just can't do both and narrow focus to their man. It is normal to have this problem when you are still new to your job. The same holds true in any work place. Part of it is focus, and part of it is not knowing what help other players do and don't need. Even Marcus, Tyrel and Brady, who are consummate help defenders, and Tyshawn who has at last developed the ability, some times struggle a bit with help. All these four can maintain the broad focus needed for help defense, but they are still learning what help their various teammates do and don't require. They are having to unlearn how to help Cole and Sherron and X, and learn anew what help Kieff, TRob, Little, Releford, and EJ require (and they require quite a bit more help at this stage of the season). All of this will come over the course of the season. But which ever players learn to help soonest will get the most minutes the soonest. And come late January, anyone who has not learned to help will see very few minutes.

Regarding the backcourt, when Tyshawn, Tyrel and Brady are there, the help defense is good, but there are times when each player is mismatched against perimeter players and we need the length the less experienced players give us for on-ball defense. When Little, Releford and EJ come in, help defense weakens, despite the on ball advantages that hopefully accrue. By February, unless players start sulking about PT, they are all probably going to be defenders capable of doing both on ball and off ball defense, at which time Self will be in the enviable position of being able substitute at will for the distinct match-up advantages that each of these perimeter players bring situationally. It could be a beautiful thing to watch: the maestro of the match-up advantage, Bill Self, with 6-7 perimeter players each with distinct edges to bring to the floor, absolutely killing opponents with match-ups.

The second half of the NTSU game, we saw flashes of help defense outside, but not much progress inside. What we really saw that second half was Self having chewed their butts about defense and players mostly capable of on ball defense leaving it all on the floor on-ball. Against a lesser team, like NTSU, where almost all of our players can handle their players without much help, we looked stunning with maximum effort.

But bottom line, they have not learned to play help defense Bill Self style yet...but they are on the way.

gratefultyler 3 years, 11 months ago

Hi Ben, please listen to your heart and do what is best for you. Forget your family. They wont be around forever. Its a sad reality, but the truth. You, on the other hand, will have to live with this important decision for the rest of your life. You should always respect your elders, but dont let them lead you down the same broken, torn-up path. Make your own way in this world and you will truely be happy. Hope to hear from you soon!

KU_FanSince75 3 years, 11 months ago

Let's see--- Mizzou Arena that wasn't even full VS Western Illinois or AFH, with all that tradition, full to the rafters, even against Emporia State----not much of a choice to me!

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, it appears Kansas is possibly going to finish second again in the recruiting race. It appears Ben's Mom is set on Mizzou for her son:

1] The two hour commute will be an easy task to see him play every game. 2] The thought of the abuse he would receive from his home state is disturbing. 3] And this is the rumor and a killer if it's true. She feels an Afro-American coach like Coach Anderson will better relate to her son than Coach Self. Mind you, this is a rumor that I can't substantiate, but it's out there.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that, in a vacuum, Ben would have commited to KU and signed a long time ago. However, this fine young man is very close to his family and is struggling to make a choice.

The Kansas resume is unarguable......the Missouri resume is incomplete.

Bill Skeet 3 years, 11 months ago

Question (maybe a naïve one): Why doesn't the NCAA devise a way to penalize the source of inappropriate funds rather than the recipient since the recipient is always a minor, and often socio-economically disadvantaged?

For example, a $2 dollar penalty, payable to the NCAA for every $1 given to an amateur would lay the burden in a more appropriate spot, IMHO. (So, in this case, the NCAA would be paid $8-10k for a $4-5k infraction.)

Wouldn't that be more effective at stopping the behavior?

AsadZ 3 years, 11 months ago

Jaybate, As always thanks for posting the solid analysis.