Originally published November 19, 2010 at 09:09p.m., updated November 19, 2010 at 11:51p.m.

Josh Selby nets nine-game suspension

Kansas freshman guard Josh Selby laughs with head coach Bill Self during a news conference announcing that Selby will be released to play following a nine-game suspension. Selby's first game will be Saturday against USC.

Videos

NCAA rules on Josh Selby

video thumbnail

Josh Selby addressed the media on the NCAA's ruling after Kansas' win over Friday, November 19, 2010 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Feature

Kansas defeats North Texas, 93-60

The Kansas men's basketball team made 14 of its first 15 field goals in the second half, running away from North Texas in a 93-60 victory on Friday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Kansas freshman guard Josh Selby talks with media members along side head coach Bill Self during a news conference announcing that Selby will be released to play following a nine-game suspension.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Josh Selby and Bill Self

KU freshman Josh Selby and KU coach Bill Self answer questions about the NCAA's ruling on Selby following KU's 93-60 victory over North Texas on Nov. 19, 2010.

Download podcast

The NCAA released the following statement regarding Josh Selby on Friday night:

The NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff has ruled University of Kansas men’s basketball student-athlete Josh Selby must sit out nine regular season games and repay $5,757.58 in impermissible benefits to the charity of his choice.

The university declared the student-athlete ineligible when it found Selby and his family accepted impermissible benefits prior to him signing an athletic aid agreement to play basketball for Kansas. The university can appeal the decision to the Division I Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee.

The reinstatement staff’s decision is consistent with student-athlete reinstatement committee guidelines which start at a 30 percent withholding from games for a student-athlete who receives impermissible benefits valued at more than $1,000.

“Our members have made it clear that student-athletes who receive impermissible benefits must be held accountable,” stated Kevin Lennon, vice president for academic and membership affairs.

The reinstatement committee is the final appeal opportunity in the initial-eligibility process. It is an independent panel comprised of representatives from NCAA member colleges, universities and athletic conferences.

Impermissible benefits are those benefits provided to an individual based on their status as an athlete, unless other NCAA rules permit the benefit in question.

The reinstatement staff considers a number of factors when deciding each case. These include the nature and seriousness of the violation; any impermissible benefits received; the student-athlete’s level of responsibility; any mitigating factors presented by the university; applicable NCAA guidelines; and any relevant case precedent.

“This process had several moving parts, the first one being academics," said KU Interim Athletics Director Sean Lester. "Once that was addressed we and the NCAA moved to the eligibility aspect. We knew it would take time, and we appreciate our partnership with the NCAA and our constant communication during this process.”

Selby will make his debut against Southern Cal on Dec. 18.

“Even though I’m disappointed I have to miss nine games, I’m happy that I know when I can be on the court with my teammates,” Selby said in a release. “I’m looking forward to helping my team win another conference championship.”

KU coach Bill Self commented on Selby's ruling after KU's 93-60 victory over North Texas on Friday night.

"It is fair and certainly understandable," Self said. "He is kind of a victim of circumstance, to be quite honest. We do have rules, and it's pretty clear how the rules read, but if you're a 17-year-old out there and nobody tells you these things, you could easily get caught up in the same thing. Hopefully, he can be an example for other youngsters out there moving forward.

"He's disappointed that it's that many games, but he's excited to know that he will be in a Kansas uniform before too long."

Interactive Timeline

Josh Selby Timeline

View the timeline in a separate page

Comments

JayHok 4 years, 8 months ago

If the NCAA is following the same protocol it followed for John Wall's 3 game suspension, which included one regular season game and two exhibition games, Selby has now sat out 5 games including exhibition.

JayHok 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks Jayhawks! As of tonight, after seasons and seasons of hard work by unsung heros and Jayhawk All Americans we are finally all alone at #2 in all-time wins dating back to James Naismith's KU team winning the first game here in Lawrence 100+ years ago!

Hold the position with pride, sneak up on #1 and take back what is rightfully ours!

Gregor Southard 4 years, 8 months ago

Cool. It's taken 26 years and counting to overcome the ineptitude of Ted Owens! KU was number when he took over and number 4 when he was finally fired. Self will get us there eventually!

Gregor Southard 4 years, 8 months ago

that would be number one for those into typing...

Bryan Mayes 4 years, 8 months ago

Do the first 3 games already missed count?

kckmedic 4 years, 8 months ago

I hear this is over selling his McDonald's All-America jersey. If they give you the jersey, then why can't you sell it? Isn't it personal property once they give it to you?

Eric Schneider 4 years, 8 months ago

The Nazi Communists Against Athletes strike again. 9 games. Now the bigger question. Is it retroactive?

jayhawkinnc 4 years, 8 months ago

So I assume he already gets credit for sitting out the first 3 games that KU has played so far and he has 6 more to go? Or, does the 9 game suspension start now?

phi4life940 4 years, 8 months ago

Finally!!!!!! Still think the NCAA should be penalized for taking so long......

Chris1955 4 years, 8 months ago

I guess more details will come to light later. I suspect that the nine games begin tonight. If so, we dont see Josh until January 2011.

Chris1955 4 years, 8 months ago

When I read the initial announcement it was the 9:09 PM version, with no details on what game he would return for.

Michael Auchard 4 years, 8 months ago

You may have miscounted. I come up with the 22nd against Cal. USC would be the ninth game of the season, he'd be sitting during that game.

Michael Auchard 4 years, 8 months ago

Oops... the schedule on this website for some reason cuts out tonight's game from the list. How odd. You're right, TCJH. What a strange way to post a schedule...

Jim Roth 4 years, 8 months ago

The list is divided into Completed games and Upcoming games. Games still being played fit neither category and get lost (it must take awhile to find them again after the game is over).

jaycard 4 years, 8 months ago

9 games? don't appeal, keep the NCAA happy and kiss some a@@. Josh will be elgible for all the Big 12 games. After watching tonight, this team (and I emphasize the word TEAM) could sweep through without him. I can't wait. Go Hawks!!1

Jaminrawk 4 years, 8 months ago

Hey, he'll be on the floor for the Big XII season. The team already looks really good. It'll be nice to remind KSU and MU who the elite of the Big XII are.

Ben Kliewer 4 years, 8 months ago

KSU is now Elite in the Big 12 too...I mean, don't get me wrong, I am not a Wildcat supporter in any way, but it will bring more credibility to the Big 12 and the state of Kansas. And to KU, because you know KSU wouldn't give a crap about their basketball program if we hadn't been dominating them for the last 100 years. Was just reading SI. They have KSU at #3, us at #7 and Wichita State at #30... I don't know about you, but as a native Kansan, that makes me proud. When it comes to College Basketball...Don't mess with Kansas...

Brianna Zaleski 4 years, 8 months ago

KSU is an elite team in the Big 12 now? Come on. I know they are good and are getting better, but to use the word elite in conjunction w/ them is to devalue the word. Duke is elite, UNC(sadly) is elite, Kansas is elite.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure we'll learn more over the next few days... personally I'm glad we have an answer and HCBS will take care of the rest!

This article was a little confusing so definitely looking forward to clarity.

Rock Chalk.

doc_gonzo13 4 years, 8 months ago

Do the exhibition games count towards the suspension? Last year Wall only missed 1 regular season game because they counted the exhibition game towards his suspension.

oldalum 4 years, 8 months ago

Bill Self said in his comments after the game that it was retroactive, but the ariticle above says "regular season games." So I still don't know if the exhibition games count. If they do he will be able to play against Memphis in New York. At any rate, his first home game will be against USC. I'm listening to the locker room show, so maybe we will get more details.

dmudd 4 years, 8 months ago

Look out fans. If I was another team I would not want to play us this year with or without Selby. Yet obviously it won't hurt to have this stud come March.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

Like I said on another post----I let out a big sigh of relief when the news broke! Like getting by Davidson in '08. Bad news for K-State and the rest of the Big 12-----HA, HA, HA! Go ahead Digger Phelps----pick K-State to win the Big 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 8 months ago

K-State could well be this year's Texas Shorthorns. Meteoric rise until conference play then dropping like the mercury on a Kansas January night.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 8 months ago

Whether it's retroactive or not, he will be available when KU goes to Michigan and when Big XII play starts.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 8 months ago

Hopefully, you're not a prophet or anything.that's right before Mel dies.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

Oh, my, my sharona!!!!!! Thanks, Belly, for that site. I can't wait----crap, I can't sleep tonight. Carolina just lost to Minnesota tonight and I will see Kentucky lose to Portland (hopefully)----top tonight off with a cherry! Rock Chalk!

tis4tim 4 years, 8 months ago

Harrison Barnes 0-13 from the field.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 8 months ago

Yep, and this after the ESPNorthcarolina golden boy was given a day of highlights from their last game.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 8 months ago

step one: selby cleared step two: extended nba lockout so we get him for two years

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

Octagon of Doom=Octagon of Dominance (Feb. 14, 2011). Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Rock_Chalk_NYC 4 years, 8 months ago

Hawktagon of Doom or Allen Fieldhouse West, lol! RCJ

Dirk Medema 4 years, 8 months ago

"Hawktagon of Doom" That deserves a T-shirt or something.

Not quite as classic as "Allen Fieldhouse West" but nicely creative.

brooksmd 4 years, 8 months ago

Geez, do ya'll not read or comprehend? Second paragraph from the bottom, "Selby will make his debut against Southern Cal on Dec. 18."

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 8 months ago

Are you sure that line was there at the first posting of this story? I know the photo at the top has changed since it first was up.

doc_gonzo13 4 years, 8 months ago

That paragraph wasn't there when the article was initially posted. They must have just added that.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

Geez, brooksmd----I am looking ahead----as a fan, I can do that----as a coach, probably a dangerous practice.

I would imagine Josh will have a little more vertical jump in practice now!

dmudd 4 years, 8 months ago

Does this remind anyone else of 08' when Rush was out first part of season and we had an incomprehensibly talented big man who barely saw action because of overall talent level on team

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 8 months ago

im ecstatic selby will be playing but i have to ask; isnt this a longer suspension than john wall got for a lesser infraction?

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

dmudd---yeah, and where is the Final 4 this season? In Texas!

hawksince51 4 years, 8 months ago

Finally, a resolution. Let's move on. rock chalk

Justin Daniel 4 years, 8 months ago

Here kitty kitty...Mr. Selby will be ready for Jan. 29th

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

Okay, I am just dreaming here----Ralster----this would be priceless----a win over the Dukies!

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

A win over the Dukies in the Final 4 Championship!

Rock_Chalk_NYC 4 years, 8 months ago

FYI, since I've seen the question asked:

Wall sat out the first exhibition game and the regular season opener and had to repay $787.58 to be exact.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 8 months ago

Good stuff! I was wondering about this info. Thanks for the link. You going to the game at MSG. I am flying in that day to go to the game.

MrPilot 4 years, 8 months ago

Sign a pair of his shoes and mail them to the charity with a note that says "Sell these in two years."

andreatom 4 years, 8 months ago

This is essentially what Darnell Jackson got isn't it?

dmudd 4 years, 8 months ago

wissoxfan83 that's a good question but you would have to assume that someone close enough to him has the where-with-all to legally take care of this.. Lawyers perhaps... considering the financial windfall in his near future..

dmudd 4 years, 8 months ago

Maybe he signed a pair of shoes and gave them to his lawyer

uneekness 4 years, 8 months ago

This means Selby can start getting lots of practice reps with the first team again. Should be full speed when he hits the floor for real.

Craig Colgin 4 years, 8 months ago

I really just hope the team chemistry doesn't get upset by this. Hopefully it won't because this is probably the best we have played AS A TEAM since the 08' title. Im not saying were a title team, but I sure like to see the ball movement and unity that this team appears to have so far. And I just love T rob, even though he gets ahead of himself and messes up some, he hustles all the time, never a lack of effort, that's what's fun to watch.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

HCBS will take of your concerns, cragarhawk! We have the best coach in America----Rock Chalk!

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 8 months ago

i was thinking the same thing after our team came out of halftime clicking on all cylinders

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

I meant to say, "will take care of your concerns." Sorry.

Craig Colgin 4 years, 8 months ago

If anybody can, he can take care of it, I certainly hope it works out, It would be nice if this ended up binding this team even more!!!! If so, ROCK CHALK CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

gratefultyler 4 years, 8 months ago

Trust in HCBS.
Looks like Tay & Brady will be on the bench pretty soon unless their decision making gets exponentially better

1 - Selby 2 - Reed/Releford/Little 3 - combo of Morris/Morris/Withey/Robinson

And a great backcourt bench with Tay, Brady, EJ, and bring in Royce if it's an easy blowout game like KSU.

We're going to be huge!!! I dare any team to drive that lane. The ball will end up in the upper deck!

dmudd 4 years, 8 months ago

I agree for the most part but I think tyshawn plays ahead of LIttle and that Brady Withey and Releford battle for minutes along with Little

gratefultyler 4 years, 8 months ago

It will be interesting to watch. Little has asserted himself more every game. But he's still a puzzle for me. Just don't know where Tay or Little fit. I trust Self will figure it out.

ahpersecoachingexperience 4 years, 8 months ago

donate the money to bail out the entire ticket office????

prairie_rattler 4 years, 8 months ago

And we just moved into second place in all-time NCAA men's basketball wins (currently tied with N.C.).

JayHok 4 years, 8 months ago

Actually we just took over 2nd place tonight. UNC lost tonight and we were tied at 2005 this morning.

Craig Colgin 4 years, 8 months ago

gratefultyler, I don't think we will be seeing taylor spending alot of time on the bench, he has a much improved attitude from last year, and his decision making has improved greatly as well. We will require him in order to be successful this season, imo. ROCK Chalk

gratefultyler 4 years, 8 months ago

I just don't think he fits with the rest of this team. He still cant shoot. I will grant you that his attitude has changed for the better, but he's still not a leader. I just dont trust him in the game down by 1 with 25 seconds left on the clock.

Did you see Self bench him tonight after that inbounds pass when he needlessly fouled just to get open?. HSBC didn't even have to talk to him, he just put his finger over his mouth and then pointed to the bench. Nonverbal to verbal translation: I don't want to hear your excuse, shut up and just sit down.. It was pretty funny actually.

Granted, we haven't seen Selby and all this is speculation based on potential and talent. But every comment I've read from and about him says "Give me the ball, I've got this." I can't see Tay saying that. Do you move him to the 2 spot since Selby will most likely be at the 1? We need a shooter at 2, and only Reed has demonstrated that so far.

Great roll player, and very valuable to our team success. No doubt. But not a starter with Selby eligable.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 8 months ago

TT sat because it was his second foul. Self covered his mouth because he didn't want anyone reading his lips. He probably thought it was a questionable call just like the announcers.

You obviously have a bias against TT, which Coach Self obviously does not. This can be seen from reading his comment from late last year when he started TT again because his athleticism is just a great asset, to Coach's recent comments about living with his ocassional goofs.

Coach loves combo guards, and readily played TT alongside Sherron. The same will be true this year with Josh. Tyrel definitely still has a place tho it would seem that Brady's minutes are likely to diminish as the level of competition (athleticism) increases and the teams need for calming diminishes.

Even Elijah's minutes will likely eat into Brady's, because he possesses the same athleticism that sets TT apart from Brady. Tyrel on the other hand is really coming into his own and is appearing to be every bit as athletic as the others, which didn't always appear to be the case in the past. Fortunately, Brady will always be a safety net that Coach can call on for just about anything.

Page Butler 4 years, 8 months ago

Just because it is late and I think you ought to know. It's not roll player. It is role player.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

Looks like UK will win tonight---that sucks! Ahead by 30 or so points with 2 minutes left.

JayHok 4 years, 8 months ago

I was at the game. Portland sucked. Funny moment happened though. A cameraman wore a red Jayhawk hat and a 2008 championship shirt. I took a picture of it. I'll try to post it as my Avatar and you can see what true basketball fans like us do at Kentucky games (like EJ did to Kentucky fans a couple years back).

Cragarhawk----

I was looking for Tyshawn's name, too. TT will not be riding the bench that much, especially against teams that have speed.

gratefultyler 4 years, 8 months ago

100% agree. Not riding the bench "that much", but playing time will be greatly reduced with Selby and Reed taking 1 & 2. Just one fans opinion. I Love This Team! Special season brewing.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 8 months ago

He got almost $6,000 of extra benefits. Get a grip. It's not as bad as Kanter, but definitely not appropriate. It's a good call by the NCAA - basically applying the rules as noted above.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 8 months ago

And C.J. Henry got a $1 million plus deal to play "pro" baseball, and then could come back and be an "amateur" college athlete. It is a hypocrital deal.

Chris Shaw 4 years, 8 months ago

Selby is Free!

I think a little "Eye of the Tiger" is a appropriate.

vtjayhwk 4 years, 8 months ago

gratefultyler, you are crazy if you think Tyshawn is a bench player this year. He has looked much improved.

Selby Taylor Reed Morris Morris

gratefultyler 4 years, 8 months ago

There is no doubt that im certifiably insane. To paraphrase a local rapper (I live in Detroit): When there is a fork in the road, I usually take the psycho path. Debating how to mix and match all this talent is so much FUN!!! ROCK CHALK.

Craig Colgin 4 years, 8 months ago

Agree vtjayhwk, Trob, little, releford, morningstar, johnson(in no particular order) off the bench, we could be insanely good, and I think it would improve our second string defense, which we could use some of.

Craig Colgin 4 years, 8 months ago

And hopefully withey can provide some valuable big man relief minutes as the year progresses

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

According to HCBS, "he said it was a fair ruling." I know what you are trying to say Maxhawk, but that's how it is. I don't understand all the particulars by the NCAA---does not make sense to me either. At least there is closure, thank goodness! Self also, said that maybe Josh could be a role model for those being heavily recruited not to make the mistakes that he made. "When they are 16 and 17 year olds and being heavily recruited, these youngster have to be careful who they are dealing with." Bottom line= 1. Can't wait for Selby to show his skill on the hardwood; 2. We got him for Big 12 and March Madness!

Rock Chalk!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 8 months ago

Come on McLemore! Your day is tomorrow and this will cap off a great weekend for KU hoops.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

@ Maxhawk--- I would bet a fifty dollar bill that HCBS would agree with you. Amen, brother!

gratefultyler 4 years, 8 months ago

Not a freshman, but UGA wide reciever A.J. Green, who was suspended by the NCAA for selling his Independence Bowl jersey this season (4 games out of 12 = 1/3). Isn't that the rumor on Selby. Selling his McDs jersey? Just rumor.

KU_FanSince75 4 years, 8 months ago

@ kushaw---- I saw Missouri at Columbia, VS Western Illinois. Lots of empty seats at Mizzou Arena. The Tigers looked terrible against this team. Granted, it was the Tigers first game, but wow! Now, I'm starting to sound like Dave Armstrong! I hope Ben realizes that Mizzou Arena is no AFH. Rock Chalk!

Chris Shaw 4 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I saw part of that game as well. It was actually depressing to see all those empty seats. LOL!

Benjamin Piehler 4 years, 8 months ago

weve got as good a shot as anyone at the final four teams.

Christopher Hauser 4 years, 8 months ago

Lunardi has had us as a number 1 seed for a little over a week now.

jajandera 4 years, 8 months ago

When is be ben announcing today anyone know?

Greg Lux 4 years, 8 months ago

This is a poor intercity family ... who is going to shell out the dough to pay this fine? Thats a lot of money to a family like this. Can they accept donations to pay the requirement? Interesting situation if not. I pray they can complete this requirement without to much hardship.

Rock Chalk

REHawk 4 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if Josh would be allowed by the mighty NCAA to sign a dozen items to put up for future collateral against the loan of $5000 to contribute to a charity of his choice? Or, as a shortcut, just sign the items and donate to a charity, with the stipulation that they not be sold until he leaves for the pros (as MrPilot has suggested). Actually, if the NCAA expects Josh to come up with $5K by Dec. 18, they are probably well on the path to guaranteeing that he gets himself into deeper troubles. I imagine the NCAA is banking on his future earning power, and will cut him a couple of years of slack to settle this matter. I suppose the thinking is: Kansas athletics has been punished for the nine games, including negative national media coverage. Now the recruit and his family deserve further punitive justice.