Saturday, May 29, 2010

KU Athletic Director Perkins victim of alleged blackmail scheme

A Lawrence police report has surfaced identifying Kansas University Athletics Director Lew Perkins as the victim of blackmail.

The report indicates that Perkins was the victim of the blackmail for a seven-month period, from Sept. 15 until the afternoon of April 15. The report indicates a computer was involved.

"Somebody communicated with me and was trying to take advantage of me," Perkins said Saturday. "There was no reason for that to happen - for any person, in this particular case - to take advantage of me.

KU athletic director Lew Perkins victim of blackmail

Police reports say the blackmail had been going on for many months.

"The bottom line is: This is not the first time this has happened, and this won't be the last time. Anytime your name is in the public, people will try to take advantage of that fact."

No arrests have been made, according to Lawrence Police Sgt Bill Cory. The report, which has been completed, stems from claims that a former employee was trying to extort money from Perkins over rehabilitation equipment that was loaned to Perkins, Cory noted in an e-mail.

Perkins' attorney, former KU law dean Steve McAllister, a current KU law professor, is listed as having reported the blackmail to police April 16.

Police released the blackmail report to the public Friday afternoon via the department's website, just two days after Perkins accepted responsibility for a ticket scandal involving his employees in KU's athletics department. More than $1 million worth of KU basketball and football tickets were involved in the ticket scam.

An internal investigation determined that five employees and a consultant at Kansas Athletics Inc. improperly used and sold for personal gain nearly 20,000 tickets during the past five years. Perkins has not been implicated in the scam, but he has accepted responsibility in his role as the department's top administrator.

On Saturday, Perkins said the ticket problems were in no way associated with the blackmail case, the details of which he declined to discuss because of the ongoing nature of the Lawrence police investigation.

"These kinds of things happen - not frequently, but on occasion - but it doesn't have anything - absolutely, unequivocally - to do with the ticket situation or anything like that," Perkins said. "When these kinds of things happen, we turn it over to the police department, and they deal with it."

Perkins described the case as the "third or fourth time" he'd been the victim of a blackmail situation during his 42 years of athletics administration. And although he can't recall facing such a case previously in Lawrence, that doesn't mean one hasn't happened.

"Sometimes it doesn't get into the police blotter," he said.

Charles Branson, Douglas County district attorney, said that while he was familiar with "a potential allegation" involving Perkins as the victim of blackmail, he could discuss no other details.

"Nothing has been forwarded to our office for prosecution purposes," Branson said.

Kansas statute defines blackmail as "gaining or attempting to gain anything of value or compelling another to act against such person's will, by threatening to communicate accusations or statements about any person that would subject such person or any other person to public ridicule, contempt or degradation."

Blackmail is a felony.

Comments

Paul Richardson 9 years, 6 months ago

Lew,Lew,Lew............maybe it is time for you to go.

gchawk 9 years, 6 months ago

And the hits just keep on comin'!!!!!

Paul Richardson 9 years, 6 months ago

What the hell would someone be blackmailing him for?

Dyrk Dugan 9 years, 6 months ago

"On Saturday, Perkins said the ticket problems were in no way associated with the blackmail case..."

isn't it curious though, that it goes public AFTER the KU report comes out? does Mr. Perkins appear a bit more sympathetic now?

unbelievable.

murph 9 years, 6 months ago

Exactly what I was thinking. How very convenient.

jhokfan 9 years, 6 months ago

swmrsue 9 years, 6 months ago

The blackmail occurred between Sept. 15 and April 15th for a period of 7 months and you don't report it to the police until April 16th???? WHY??

utahjayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I agree with mvjay. I think it's a pure sympathy play. Lew should step down due to his lack of oversight in the ticket scandal.

1977kufan 9 years, 6 months ago

As graduation has come and gone and as other schools are graduating, let's look at the SPORTS YEAR IN REVIEW (come on LJW, please leave the caps where I have placed them) at good ole' KU. All of the pre-season football hype with "visions" of winning the B12 North are obscured and obliterated by a 7 game losing streak intermixed with a true debacle in the coaching section. Enter all the fun time of several key basketball and football players having a less than honorable altercation (reminescent of a 5th grade skirmish by university age "children"). The #1 ranked Jayhawk basketball team had an excellent season (winning the B12 and the B12 tournament) until they met a "powerful" team from that bastion of basketball wizardy in Cedar Falls, IA (during this "last game" of the season, key items such as playing defense, switching defenses at an early, appropriate time and the ability to hit free-throws near and at the end of the game were completely abandoned or possibly left in the locker room). This one leaves the door open for another ACC team to win the National Championship and they capitalize on the opportunity (always great to play second chair to the ACC in basketball - especially two years in a row). The women' s basketball team simply "tanks" the season being unable to even approach being a consistent "top" 25 team. The men's baseball team looked great early on and held promise to turn things around, but headed South from their position in the B12 North and decided to become a bottom dweller losing their last 5 games. Now, enter all of the "excellent" publicity and excitment of a million dollar (if that is all that it was I would be very surprised) ticket scam/scandal, Well fans, that is the cake but now it is time for the icing - the Atheltic Director is involved in a blackmail scheme. This occurs for 7 months (it is allowed to go on for this length of time???). One of the primary "players" in this sweetness is a "computer". Silly me, I thought that humans were the primary players and computers only followed our commands and instructions. What sweet "icing" this one is!!!

Yes, I bleed crimson and blue and have two professional degrees from our University, but it is certainly malodorous around Allen (sorry Phog) Fieldhouse. Performance and propriety are not in our current dictionary/vocabulary. OK, folks that is our SPORTS YEAR IN REVIEW and I know that you are like me - you can hardly wait for the upcoming Jayhawk football season (yea, right).

Arthur McElhenie 9 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like diversion to me. Trying to focus on some middling, unreported incident to distract those of us who think there's much more to the ticket scandal.

Martha Oldham 9 years, 6 months ago

That is a great question! Why wasn’t it reported to the police before April 15th? Was blackmail put in play, so we will forget the ticket scandal?

kranny 9 years, 6 months ago

Conspiracy theorists unite!! I'm sure there are people much more knowledgable than a bunch of internet posters as to why the blackmail case was made public now. Let the facts come in first-all the facts, then speculate. We don't have a clue as to what goes on in a D1 athletic dept. so I would reserve judgement.

Korky 9 years, 6 months ago

Obviously the guys in charge of the Athletic Department don't have a clue either.

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 6 months ago

not just the AD we have no clue about... imagine what it takes to recruit some of these kids today...

Steve Brown 9 years, 6 months ago

I love a good speculation theory.

The supplier of gym, nautilus and rehibiltation equipment expected and was promised Williams Fund points and preferred seating, until R. Jones was run out of town and the records were shredded.

He sold them at deep discount to KU but delivered and installed them in Lew's basement gym. The threat to Lew was if 'I don't get what I was verbally promised" I'll go public, then this week when Lew had chance to reveal to the Feds, and the Chancellor all the murky water stuff, he could come out with this.

I don't know any one else have better theory.............

Gene Ramp 9 years, 6 months ago

You people need to chill! Perkins is the victim NOT the perp!

Steve Brown 9 years, 6 months ago

ramp seriously?

I thought you can't backmail me unless you know something that I don't want to see light of day............willing to be confused here..

Kent Wells 9 years, 6 months ago

Sandra Ryan is trying to blackmail Lew. He's determined to keep his crooked wanker out of the news. I have this from reliable sources.

Lone_salina_kufan 9 years, 6 months ago

Maybe your reliable sources will remember her name is actually Samantha Ryan.

KGphoto 9 years, 6 months ago

The Douglas County DA is named Charles Branson? Hilarious.

This guy must have some serious street cred.

Sometimes life is just too weird.

gardenjay 9 years, 6 months ago

crimson herring, yes. agree with mvjayhawk. a curveball, the circus approach. Let's just hope this is just Lew's bad judgement and not his attorney, who teaches other kids at KU. It is another downfall of society to emulate this stuff. ugh.

jhokfan 9 years, 6 months ago

All of Lew's former employers are universities. And what is rehabilitation equipment?

Spencer Goff 9 years, 6 months ago

Third or fourth time? To blackmail somebody you need some kind of dirt, or enough evidence to falsify dirt, but point being, there has to be SOMETHING for them to hold over you. Three or four other times? I can recall my third and fourth vehicle I purchased, the third or fourth school I attended, my third or fourth girlfriend, you get the idea; yet, he nonchalantly can only estimate the number of bribe attempts he has faced being maybe three or four? Are you SERIOUS!?!!

I don't recall David Letterman saying he had that many attempts in his career.

Question of the year: "Lew what are you poking?" Keegs, next press conference, that should be your opening statement. Fire away tubby.

Go back and look at my posts. I was in Lew's corner for all this time (with the exception of the 11am games, which is crap football time). I have pretty much been fine with Lew and the big money game up till right about now. I have defended him from the usual Keegan attack squad regularly. But this soap opera has grown just a bit too flakey. The insanity of what is happening on my campus has to stop. This is me jumping off this bus as it prepares to slide over the edge of the cliff.

So if Lew "resigns" or moves on, or whatever, who is KU's target for AD?

Steve Brown 9 years, 6 months ago

Chromenuts: well said.

In life you can give you $$ to Berinie Madhoff or Warren Buffet you can hire Big East big shots or hire AD that has history of teaching values, ethics and character. We got big time last go around, hope we get Mr. Values in the next guy.

Funny, 6 employees guilty of grand theft and I can't recall how many times I've been blackmailed. Really? that's the story you're goin' with.

Spencer Goff 9 years, 6 months ago

They need an edit on their forum. Final line of first paragraph should read, "number of BLACKMAIL attempts."

I mean, obviously, with all that is going on with our school at the moment, you can see my Freudian slip being justified.

Goodnight folks.

mojayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Lew deserves benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. Let the facts speak for themselves. We John Q Public folks have no idea what goes on behind the scenes, and shouldn't trash our leaders (unless proven guilty).

Aligned 9 years, 6 months ago

Rick Pitino was also the "victim" of blackmail. Does it appear to anyone else that this information is being released in an orchestrated sequence?

JBurtin 9 years, 6 months ago

yawn Not that big of a deal....I guess some people will take any chance they can to bash Lew.

Fact is....why would he need "sympathy" right now. He was the victim in both cases.

AZHawk81 9 years, 6 months ago

Amen. Finally a post with some common sense. Apparently those conspiracy theorists out there would just prefer that Lew continue to get blackmailed instead of taking it to the authorities.

Aligned 9 years, 6 months ago

That must’ve been a long-term "loan" from a former employer, in light of the fact he’s been at KU for seven years now. So long in fact that he forgot about it being a "loan". Actually it’s not hard to read between the lines on this deal. And by the way, I’ve backed Perkins too up until the past week.

Aligned 9 years, 6 months ago

Here's how this deal will shake out: The "loaned" equipment will be returned and no charges will be filed in either direction, which of course is what Perkins attorney has been working towards for the past seven months. My opinion only.

jhokfan 9 years, 6 months ago

JFC, how much fecal matter can fall on one program. Just happy to wake up this morning and not find another story about KUAD.

spryngs 9 years, 6 months ago

Oh, get his ass out of Lawrence, out of KU!