Thursday, June 17, 2010

KU fight song lyrics need some tweaking now that Nebraska and Colorado are leaving the Big 12

Nebraska, Colorado references no longer make sense after Big 12 realignment

Members of the Kansas University basketball band get wild as they perform the Rock Chalk Chant prior to tipoff against Nebraska in this file photo. With the departure of the 'Huskers and Colorado, KU may have to change up the wording in its fight song.

George “Dumpy” Bowles, we need you, man.

Bowles, from the Kansas University class of 1912, is credited with writing “I’m a Jayhawk,” that oldie but goodie fight song that has rung in the ears of Jayhawk fans everywhere.

Dumpy, get out your pen.

KU fight song hurt by realignment

The two schools that left the Big 12 Conference were both part of KU's fight song. With their departure, it's unclear if the lyrics will be changed to reflect the reconfiguration.

The version of the song that is sung today has references to both the Buffs and the Cornhuskers (twice). That soon may become a bit like bringing up your ex-wife at Thanksgiving.

With the rearranging of the Big 12, a rewrite for the KU fight song may be on the way.

“It sure sounds like something we ought to do,” said Thomas Stidham, KU’s associate director of bands. “I’m sure we can get some suggestions — and some of them we probably couldn’t use.”

But why should that stop anybody?

Contest coming

For those of you who don’t already have the tune stuck in your head, here’s a reminder of what we need to erase. The first verse — which often is not sung these days — includes a line that goes “Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Buffs.”

Yeah, talk about them.

Then later in the first verse: “Talk about the Wildcats and those Cornhuskin’ boys.” In the more popular chorus, your fine Saturday afternoon tenors sing: “Got a bill that’s big enough to twist the Tiger’s tail. Husk some corn and listen to the Cornhusker’s wail.”

One Journal-World reader suggested the Cornhusker reference may not be too difficult to change.

“Husked some corn and made those sorry Cornhuskers bail,” Steve Allison of Temple Terrace, Fla., wrote to the Journal-World.

KU leaders might get some of those types of suggestions and more. Jennifer Sanner, a senior vice president at the KU Alumni Association, said the group is planning to have a student contest to come up with new lyrics as part of the Homecoming celebration in October.

It won’t be the first time the song has been changed. In 1958 the song was tweaked to match members of the Big 8. And a 1920 version of the song lists the Aggies (presumably Oklahoma A&M before the school became Oklahoma State) and the braves, which some have speculated could be a reference to Haskell Indian Nations University.

“We think it is important for the students to be involved,” Sanner said. “This is something we pass down as Jayhawks. This will add a nuance to the history going forward.”

All hail the ’Horns?

But there will be decisions to make. For example, is now the time to add the Texas schools? KU had the opportunity in 1996 when the Big 12 began, but did not. Now, knowing what we know, maybe we should.

Perhaps — and let’s be clear here, the following did not come from the Alumni Association or Stidham — this might be an appropriate verse: “All hail the ’Horns. All hail the ’Horns. Without big Tex, we surely wouldn’t get this huge check. All hail the ’Horns.”

What? Doesn’t quite strike the right chord. Maybe it could be the official Big 12 song.

Then there’s the decision of whether to leave in some schools even if they aren’t part of the conference anymore. Colorado might win some votes with this one: “To lose the Buffs is so tuff. In some ways, they were the best, for they gave us Allen Fieldhouse West.”

And, although you could never lose the part about twisting the Tiger’s tail, maybe Missouri should get a little more mention in the song. After all, to hear Nebraska’s president speak, we have the Tigers to thank for all this. So, consider: “Pity old Mizzou. They thought they didn’t get their due. Were gonna leave us for the Big Ten. Then were told ‘little ones, back to your den.’”

Oh, never mind. I forgot, the healing already has begun.

Actually, none of this may be too hard. Here’s a serious version, or at least as serious as a fight song gets:

Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Horns.

Talk about the Tiger and his tail.

Talk about the Wildcats, and those Cyclone boys.

But I’m the Bird to make ’em weep and wail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Got a bill that’s big enough to twist a Tiger’s tail.

Hook some Horns and listen to those Texans wail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Kansas gale.

There you go. Move over, Dumpy.

Comments

jhwkfan162515 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Horns. Talk about the Tiger and his tail. Talk about the Wildcats, and those Red Raidin' boys. But I’m the Bird to make ’em weep and wail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw. ’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah. Got a bill that’s big enough to twist a Tiger’s tail. Raid the land and watch as those Red Raiders turn pale!

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Kansas gale.

actorman 3 years, 10 months ago

jross, I like everything except the "corny" Cornhuskers. I think we should have something stronger in there, like wimpy or frightened.

thejayhawkfan 3 years, 10 months ago

I am still confuse on how to sing the fight song with its current melody...When the band plays it, I can't follow along...help?

jayhawk2181 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Sooners, the Wildcats and the Bears, Talk about the Raiders and their game, Talk about the Cowboys, those mad gun-totin' boys, but I'm a bird to put'em all to shame...

'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay, Jay Jay Jayhawk up at Lawrence, on the Kaw, 'Cause I'm a Jay, Jay, Jay Jay Jayhawk with a sis boom hip hoorah...

Got a bill that's big enough to twist the Tiger's tail, Gig some Ags and hook the Horns and blow the Clones away... Cause I'm a Jay, Jay, Jay Jay Jayhawk riding on a Kansas gale.

packywacky88 3 years, 10 months ago

While we're at it....Hawks don't have BILLS...(excluding of course HCBS)....only ducks have "bills". Hawks have BEAKS!!!

Joe Ross 3 years, 10 months ago

Jennifer Sanner, if you're reading this...no need for a contest. I've tweaked and tweaked some more. Here are the lyrics to the new fight song which mentions all other league teams and is very close to the original in rhyme scheme:

Talk about the Sooners, the Wildcats and the Bears. Talk about the Tiger and his tail. Talk about the Cyclones or those Okie State Cowboys. But I’m a Bird to make ’em weep and wail!

First Chorus: ’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw. ’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah! Got a bill that’s big enough to turn those Raiders pale, (not Red anymore) Hooked the 'horns and sent those Aggies back on the trail. ’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Kansas gale!

Second Chorus: ’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw. ’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah! Got a bill that’s big enough to twist a Tiger's tail, Husked some corn and watched those corny Cornhuskers bail. ’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Kansas gale!

okiedave 3 years, 10 months ago

Need to work in "muck Fizzou" into the new fight song. Seems that it has built alot of tradition.

actorman 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the link, thejayhawkfan. I can't believe I've been a KU fan for over 35 years and had never heard (or even heard OF) that song! I actually like it, except for one thing: the "Crimson Tide" reference would obviously have to go -- way too nauseating.

jaybate 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Sooners, the Aggies and the Horns.

Talk about the checks the bend-overs have to write.

Talk about extortion, and the gun held to our heads.

Yeah I’m the Bird they blackmail 24/7 day and night .

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Think about the old days when Jayhawks charged the tolls,

Now we give them money and watch them go to bowls,.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Texas rail.

WilburNether 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, for starters, replace the "husk" in "Cornhuskers" with another four-letter word that ends with "k."

And while it might not rhyme, one could change "wail" to "whine," which Nebraska certainly did.

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 10 months ago

Cause we're the Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawks up at Lawrence on the Kaw.

’Cause we're the Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawks with a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Come and watch the Jayhawks as we spread our wings and fly,

You can't deny the awe that is now flashing in your eyes,

’Cause we're the Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawks, soaring through the Kansas sky.

(Okay, last one, I'm done.)

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 10 months ago

Cause we're the Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawks up at Lawrence on the Kaw.

’Cause we're the Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawks with a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Gonna' spread our wings and soar to brand new heights today,

Never comin' down until we've put you away,

Cause we're the Jay, Jay, Jay Jay, Jayhawks and that's all we need to say.

TheShot122293 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Big Ten, the Pac-10 and Big East, Talk about the Mountain West and WAC. Talk about BCS, and fat TV contracts, And now it seems the whole world is on crack.

BUT.....I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw. Yes I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah. Got a heart that’s big enough to always go all out. The Phog is greater than UT and conference fallout. ’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, and that’s ALL I CARE ABOUT.

codymclaugh 3 years, 10 months ago

Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck Hullabaloo, Caneck, Caneck All hail to dear old Texas A&M Rally around Maroon and White Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies They are the boys who show the real old fight That good old Aggie Spirit thrills us And makes us yell and yell and yell So let's fight for dear old Texas A&M We're gonna beat you all to Chigaroogarem Chigaroogarem Rough, Tough, real stuff Texas A&M Good bye to texas university So long to the orange and the white Good luck to dear old Texas Aggies They are the boys who show the real old fight 'the eyes of Texas are upon you' That is the song they sing so well Sounds Like Hell So good bye to texas university We're gonna beat you all to Chigaroogarem Chigaroogarem Rough, Tough, Real stuff, Texas A&M

Saw varsity's horns off Saw varsity's horns off Saw varsity's horns off Short! A! Varsity's horns are sawed off Varsity's horns are sawed off Varsity's horns are sawed off Short! A!

Mike Barnhart 3 years, 10 months ago

The melody should stay but the lyrics need a COMPLETE re-write. Remove all references to other schools or we'll be doing this every five to ten years!

KGphoto 3 years, 10 months ago

Why don't you all go over there. And then we'll signal you when it's time.

indyhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

I say don't change it -- The conference will most likely be busted up in 5 years anyway.

Joe Ross 3 years, 10 months ago

honk4tad, I like your version the best, but tweaked a "little"...

Talk about the Wildcats, the Longhorns and the Bears.

Talk about the Tiger and his tail. (all animals mentioned thus far)

Talk about the Sooners or those Okie State Cowboys. (Oklahoma teams)

But I’m a Bird to make ’em weep and wail.

First Chorus:

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Got a bill that’s big enough to twist a Tiger’s tail.

Hushed the C'lones and sent those Aggies back on the trail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Kansas gale.

Second Chorus:

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Got a bill that’s sharp enough to turn the Raiders pale (um...as in NOT RED? hee hee)

Husked some corn and watched those sorry Cornhuskers bail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Kansas gale.

THE BEST THING IS THAT MY VERSION MENTIONS ALL THE OTHER TEAMS

Jeff Kilgore 3 years, 10 months ago

If you go to ku.edu site and listen to the fight songs, you can't. They all play simultaneously and cannot be stopped. That needs fixed.

The best of KU's fight songs is Fighting Jayhawk. I want to know who wrote that. I made it my ring tone. Love that song. Very stately, yet happy, like a circus says the wife.

jayhawkintexas 3 years, 10 months ago

Why do we even have to mention the other schools in our school song? I could never remember the words either. We should make up some lyrics that praise and encourage KU players and forget about the other schools that are--or were--in our conference.

captku 3 years, 10 months ago

How about a spin from the old Vanilla Ice's Ice, Ice, Baby bridge: "Rock, Chalk, Baby ... K U, K U ..." You more creative folks can wordsmith the rest of the song from there...

5yardfuller 3 years, 10 months ago

"a 1920 version of the song lists the Aggies (presumably Oklahoma A&M before the school became Oklahoma State) and the braves, which some have speculated could be a reference to Haskell Indian Nations University."

The Aggies reference would have been in reference to KSU, then known as the KSAC (Kansas State Agricultural College) aggies or farmers. Braves could have been the Ottawa Braves.

Benjamin Piehler 3 years, 10 months ago

lets just change the entire song to make fun of mizzou for its failed attempt at leaving. or just make a new one. either way, it makes me want to sing.

KU 3 years, 10 months ago

Nobody knows the words to the Fight Song anyway, so the lyrics are not that big of problem for 99% of people.

However, I think we need to add a NEW song to the repertoire to keep it relevant for the younger generation. The music is from Lady Gaga's Bad Romance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZ...

I only have the words for the chorus so far.

"Rah, Rah, Rah, Rah Rock! Chah, Chah, Chah, Chah Chock! Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk........Jayhawk.......Jayhawk!"

Feel free to work on words for the verses.

Carter Patterson 3 years, 10 months ago

I would capitalize the word "Bill".

thejayhawkfan 3 years, 10 months ago

Well we should come up with lyrics that we all can sing to, if we can''t even do that, we shouldn't even try...we would always just sing "Fight for Kansas"

This is a Old KU fight song that's been lost through the years.

Cody Stumma 3 years, 10 months ago

Apparently I should read who actually wrote this article. My bad.

Cody Stumma 3 years, 10 months ago

Have you even heard the vocal part of the song, Keenan? You need to match the syllables to the beats. You failed music class. Stick to your Journalism.

Cody Stumma 3 years, 10 months ago

Eck, sorry.

Keegan, not Keenan. Typo, my bad.

Cody Stumma 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Sooners, the Aggies and the Bears.

Talk about the Tiger and his tail.

Talk about the Cyclones, and those Purple Pussycats.

But I'm the bird that makes them weep and wail...

{CHORUS}/{END CHORUS}

Got a bill that big enough to twist the tiger's tail.

Hook some horns and listen to those Longhorns Wail.

E4KUJHawks 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Sooners, the Aggies and the Clones

Talk about the Tigers that just fail

Talk about the Cowboys and those purple-wearin' boys

.....

Robert Brock 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Bears.

Talk about the Tiger and his tail.

Talk about the Wildcats, and those Red Raidin' boys.

But give the Longhorns equal money and it will make 'em wail.

Tad Shurtz 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Bears.

Talk about the Tiger and his tail.

Talk about the Wildcats, and those Red Raidin' boys.

But I’m the Bird to make ’em weep and wail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Got a bill that’s big enough to twist a Tiger’s tail.

Hook some Horns and listen to those Longhorn boys wail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Kansas gale.

Tad Shurtz 3 years, 10 months ago

Talk about the Sooners, the Cowboys and the Bears.

Talk about the Tiger and his tail.

Talk about the Wildcats, and those Red Raidin' boys.

But I’m the Bird to make ’em weep and wail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay Jay, Jay, Jayhawk with a sis-boom, hip hoorah.

Got a bill that’s big enough to twist a Tiger’s tail.

Hook some Horns and listen to those Longhorn boys wail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay Jayhawk, riding on a Kansas gale.

odc213 3 years, 10 months ago

This is a great opportunity for KU to make a fight song that we can actually SING THE WORDS TOO like alot of schools. We need a CHEER DURING the game that we can cheer/sing to. Not just 'rock chalk' before and after. K-A-N-S-A-S. Kansas! Would be great for FOOTBALL!

Michael Leiker 3 years, 10 months ago

This is Kansas...we don't have to change our fight song just because some school decides to leave the conference. I say keep it the same. Two years from now I'll still hate Nebraska just as much as I have for the last 32 years of my life.

shelleysue 3 years, 10 months ago

... Beak 'em Hawks and listen to all the Texans wail. 'Cause I'm a Jay ...

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 10 months ago

How did those two posts get switched? I posted the Texas fight song like 3 minutes before the other post.

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 10 months ago

Texas Fight, Texas Fight, And it's goodbye to A&M. Texas Fight, Texas Fight, And we'll put over one more win. Texas Fight, Texas Fight, For it's Texas that we love best. Give 'em Hell, Give 'em Hell, Go Horns Go, And it's good-bye to all the rest! Yea Orange! Yea White! Yea Longhorns! Fight! Fight! Fight! Texas Fight! Texas Fight, Yea Texas Fight! Texas Fight! Texas Fight, Yea Texas Fight! The Eyes of Texas are upon you, All the livelong day. The Eyes of Texas are upon you, You cannot get away. Texas Fight, Texas Fight, For it's Texas that we love best. Hail, Hail, The gang's all here, And it's good-bye to all the rest!

KSA_21_3503 3 years, 10 months ago

But seriously, Kansas bent over for Texas. It's pretty clear that KU has lost the will to fight anyone.

newtown 3 years, 10 months ago

How Gay....................

But I’m the Bird to make ’em weep and wail.

’Cause I’m a Jay, Jay, Jay, Jay, Jayhawk up at Lawrence on the Kaw.