Friday, July 23, 2010

Incoming freshman Edwards’ football career possibly done

Sources close to the Journal-World confirmed Thursday that the football career of incoming KU freshman football player Jeremiah Edwards likely is over.

The source said that Edwards, a three-star defensive tackle from Garland, Texas, learned recently that tests concerning a previously diagnosed heart condition revealed that the ailment was worse than originally determined.

The source also indicated that Edwards would meet with Gill today and that Edwards hoped to stay in Lawrence and remain involved with the KU football program in some manner.

Edwards, 6-foot-1, 270 pounds, committed to KU in April 2009, choosing the Jayhawks over Arizona, Houston, Southern Methodist, Texas Tech, Tulsa and UTEP.

Comments

KU_Alumn_2000 4 years, 3 months ago

For Edward's sake, I hope he and his doctors can eventually resolve this heart illness. Good luck to you Edwards.

We really need some defensive linemen in a serious way. This team needs to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks...which is something have failed to do for the last couple seasons.

The success of this defense will be determined up front...and I'm very concerned that our D-line is overmatched when going up against Georgia techs ground assault...along with the big 12 schedule.

Daniel Rojas 4 years, 3 months ago

I agree...the best pass defense is a pass rush....that goes without saying! if we can get a decent rush it will give those athletic, speedy, trash talking corners alot to yap about while they're making house calls to pay dirt!!

Rivethead 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, somehow I don't see anyone on a Turner Gill-coached football team being allowed to trash talk. Remember our players are not even allowed to curse.

plotku 4 years, 3 months ago

There was an article about a month ago, about the trash talking defensive backs, and how there coach was glad to see it. So yes it is allowed.

Rivethead 4 years, 3 months ago

I read that article. Back and forth jabber between teammates during a practice is not what I consider trash talking.

justinryman 4 years, 3 months ago

Stay safe!!! Glad they gaught it before it was too late. God spped

Matt Bowers 4 years, 3 months ago

Best of luck Edward's, this is beyond tough to deal with. Take care of yourself and hopefully there will be a place for you in some fashion as a Jayhawk. Know that you already have a place with the fans.

Rock Chalk

PJ Karasek 4 years, 3 months ago

Rough news here, gotta hope for a full, healthy life for this guy, regardless of whether football is involved or not.

KU_Alumn_2000: good news on the recruiting front for D-line, this young man has offers from USC & Tennessee and has KU listed as his #1:

Mark Lindrud 4 years, 3 months ago

Well, a rough start for the new regime, but Spikes will be back again, but the fact that Edwards is done for good sucks. Maybe in time his condition will improve and it sucks because I thought he was a great pick up for us. The biggest thing though is his health and maybe he can help us out somehow in another capacity because I am sure he does not want to leave football behind just yet.

Tough break for the kid and I will keep him in my prayers. Character is revealed through adversity and I hope things work out for him and he becomes a great person.

tical523 4 years, 3 months ago

Wow. I feel terrible for this kid, can't imagine being that talented and then at age 18 or so being told you will never play again. Wish you the best of luck Jeremiah, keep your head up somehow.