Wednesday, July 21, 2010

KU football picked fourth in Big 12 North by media

Kansas head coach Turner Gill gathers with the team during spring practice on Sunday, March 28, 2010.

New coach, new quarterback, similar position.

The Big 12 Conference released its annual preseason media football poll on Wednesday, and Kansas University was picked to finish fourth in the North.

The preseason prediction marks the third time in the last five years the Jayhawks have been penciled into that position and the first since 2007. That year, the Jayhawks finished second in the North — 12-1 overall — and went on to win the Orange Bowl, knocking off Virginia Tech, 24-21, in the school’s first appearance in a BCS bowl game.

KU was picked second heading into each of the last two seasons, but fell short of those expectations, finishing third in 2008 (at 4-4) and sixth a season ago (at 1-7).

It’s instances such as those that leave first-year KU coach Turner Gill skeptical about rankings in July.

“I do not get excited about preseason picks,” Gill said. “It’s all about being productive on the field.”

The Jayhawks received 70 points in this year’s voting, nine points behind Kansas State, which was picked to finish third. Nebraska, in what is likely to be its final season in the conference, was the media’s unanimous pick to win the North, securing 156 points and all 26 first-place votes.

Missouri (125) was picked second, with Colorado (fifth, 61) and Iowa State (sixth, 55) rounding out the division.

The voting in the South was closer, as Oklahoma edged out Texas for the top spot. Bob Stoops’ Sooners received 146 points and 16 first-place votes. Mack Brown’s Longhorns racked up 140 points and 10 first-place votes.

Texas A&M; (97), Texas Tech (68), Oklahoma State (53) and Baylor (42) rounded out the South.

Big 12 Media Preseason Poll

1. Oklahoma (16) 146
  2. Texas (10) 140
  3. Texas A&M; 97
  4. Texas Tech 68
  5. Oklahoma State 53
  6. Baylor 42

Comments

Jaminrawk 9 years ago

KSU, really? Don't they have to come to Lawrence? Other than their runningback, I don't see them being better than KU. I am of course, dreadfully biased.

Fruity22 9 years ago

You'd probably have to give them the edge in the coaching category as well. Don't you think?

Jaminrawk 9 years ago

I would give it to Snyder this year for sure. But, they really haven't added much talent in recent years other than JUCO players and transfers. Plus, they have to play Texas this year when we get Texas A&M instead. We have the easier schedule, play them at home and even get OSU at home. It wouldn't shock me if KU finshed anywhere in the North, but on paper I think KU is better than KSU when you take everything into consideration.

Michael Leiker 9 years ago

JUCO players and transfers do play in the games.

Jaminrawk 9 years ago

Duly noted. However, in the majority of cases in college football, juniors and seniors that have been in programs for 2-4 years tend to perform better than players that make a leap from the JUCO ranks. KU hasn't gone to the JUCO well as much as Snyder and Prince had to over the past few years. Of course, sometimes JUCO players shine, but my point is that good highschool talent had chosen KU or others over KSU in recent years. I don't really see who they have other than their running back.

Randy Bombardier 9 years ago

Snyder likes the underdog role. They will vie for 2nd in the North if they do not win it.

Randy Bombardier 9 years ago

ISU has a tough schedule this year. Otherwise I think I would agree with you. Yet, it could be a slugfest again this year to win the North. Personally, I am not sure why everyone is trumpeting how NU is back, unless they have an offense this year.

9 years ago

It would appear Rivals agrees with you, Jaminrawk. With rankings 1 through 29 left to be announced, they have ranked eight Big 12 teams thus far, with OU, UT, NU, and MU yet to be slotted. It looks like they are picking KSU to finish last in the conference…

Mark Lindrud 9 years ago

I am ok with the prediction. None of us know what to expect from KU this year. Good program with some nice players. Now, we also have a new coaching staff and renewed energy from a team that had a down year. I can see us going 3rd in the north with some breaks and a focused team that plays mistake free disciplined football this year. Keep in mind it is about predictions only and anything can happen. OU expected to have a great season last year and lost its all-american QB and TE, which took it out of contention.

Lots of things can happen, but I am certain this will be an exciting year with some surprises that should make this a fun year to watch for KU fans.

100 9 years ago

Another respected publication that came out a month ago (Phil Steele's college football), predicted Kansas to be #2 in the North, fighting for a spot in the Championship game with Nebraska in the final year of the Big 12.

I by no means am predicting this to happen (especially with the injury to a key lineman a couple weeks ago) but, considering we were predicted to be fourth on 2007, how sweet would it be for Turner Gill and the Hawks to send Nebraska to the Big 10 with a loss and no championship game?

I am so psyched to see the heart of this football team. We might not end up with a killer record this season, but we will see heart and we are loading up with size on the offensive line which as Gill's history as a quarterback will show you, is half the key to a dynasty.

Remember the Nebraska line walking into memorial stadium in the mid 80's?

They were twice our size.

Well Gill is bringing those boys, not to Lincoln, but to Lawrence.

Rivethead 9 years ago

Do you know why NU stopped winning national championships (and even conference championships for that matter)?

It's because teams figured out that you can beat size with speed. The Nebraska of old....that type of football....it won't likely ever return.

Let's hope that Gill ignores his history as a quarterback and that size is a key and focuses on what matters today.....speed, speed, and more speed.

I think he does.

The OL he has commitments from are big, yes, but they're also quick and athletic. Unlike the partial qualifier, corn-fed walk-ons that drove the bugeater's I formation.

100 9 years ago

Size on the O line and speedy specialties wins big.

NU started losing the recruiting battles for the specialty positions after Gill left NU.

Look up the timeline for yourself or ask any NU football fan "what happened".

All you need is five yards a play and a solid D to win championships.

Big linemen, a solid backfield, stud quarterback do half of that for you.

Guess what?

Gill can land em all.

That's why NU football fans are a little nervous about the series of events in the last 12 months.

We just got a gem.

And NU just ran away.

Ostertagsfoot 8 years, 11 months ago

NU ran away because they were scared of the emergence of KU with Gill? Um, yeah. You may want look at some of the recruiting sites and tell us who better fits the description you give. NU has four 4star linemen recruited for next year and two 4 star QBs! I think we will get better with Gill, but if all it takes is 5 yards and a good D, then Nebraska probably beat us to the punch. just sayin'.

100 9 years ago

Rivethead,

You make a good point about the importance of athleticism in lines.

The other significant thing I see when Gill starts pulling in 6'5" 300 lb guys to be our line is we will likely see taller and taller athletic quarterbacks at KU.

Those 5 star future NFL QB studs are simply more prone to want to play with huge pocket protection lines. It's common sense and the dads of these 16 year old future millionaires are definitely paying attention to who Gill has landed in the last few weeks.

Also future 5 star stud receivers' dads are paying close attention to Gills' recent actions.

Meanwhile NU runs away to the Big 10 to become the red headed stepchild of Ohio State.

jaymar74 9 years ago

Turner Gill only has 1-A experience

Benjamin Piehler 9 years ago

next year is very fluffy schedule wise, but I still expect us to only win 3-4 games tops. 5 wins would be somewhat ironic considering thats all we managed last year and the expectations have flip-flopped...

Steve Williams 9 years ago

Rivethead-

Right on about ISU.. my prediction is 1. Neb 2.Mizzou 3. ISU 4 KU 5 Colorado 6. K state

south 1. OU 2. UT 3 Tech 4 A&M 5. Baylor 6. OSU

BTW... Nebraska stopped winning because A. Frank Solich was an idiot with no cahones. b. they hired Bo Derek after Solich

Randy Bombardier 9 years ago

Sorry folks, but the North is up for grabs again. No, NU has not been crowned yet and unless they find an offense, they could lose to ISU again...at home. Nebraska had to beat KSU at home last game of the season to win the North. Why are they so good all of a sudden? Hype. No, in fact, because of them almost breaking up the conference they might get a whoopin' in every other game. I expect MU, KSU, ISU, and KU to play their best games against the Huskers to give them something to remember the Big 12/8 by. Not to mention a few of the South teams might give them a going away present. MU could rule, but so could KU, KSU, ISU. I will be surprised if NU actually wins it. I would bet against it. My best guess is that whoever has the best ground game with a decent air attack will win the North. Hope its us.

Michael Leiker 9 years ago

People are seriously underestimating the loss of Suh for NU.

whitechocolate 9 years ago

The days of "Just beat MU and KSU" are over. We've tasted success and there's no turning back. We want winning seasons and victories over solid programs.

Gil won't survive with a few mediocre seasons and neither will our program. Recruits want to play for winners. Alumni want to brag about something more than a national debate championship. And after a really $#!!##Y last six months, I want to finally be able to wear my Jayhawk gear with pride.

gardenjay 9 years ago

It's sad to see Nebraska leave the Big 12. They are neighbors, and won't anyone else miss the large red convoy that comes to town? Seems like a real loss for the economy of Lawrence. They can also be gracious fans, and given Turner Gill's past, it's a real shame they're hoofing it. Money ruins a lot of things.

100 9 years ago

Including their football program.

I see the money, 10 million of which they have to pay the Big 12, but I still see Nebraska making a gargantuan mistake in terms of their football legacy.

They will make the Big 10 a bigger football conference.

But they just gave Nebraska football a bunch of 3rd and 4th and 5th place finishes in their own conference over the next 20 years.

Mike Kendall 9 years ago

Wow! Fourth? Really? KSU ahead of the Jayhawks---Uh, I believe the Kitty Kats have to come to Lawrence for a Fox Sports Net televised game on a Thursday night, no less. It will be Turner Gill's first conference home opener. I wonder if there is just "a little" motivation" to do well that night, since the media is so high on K-State. Very interesting. Can't wait. Rock Chalk!

Mike Kendall 9 years ago

BTW, whitechocolate, go ahead, say what's on your mind!!!!!

justanotherfan 9 years ago

I've read a lot of publications that have said that KSU's success last year was mostly smoke and mirrors. Statistically speaking, KSU didn't play like a 6 win team last year in a lot of analysts eyes. They were more like a four or five win team. And with a weak recruiting class coming in, I don't see them being that much improved this season.

KU, on the other hand, should be rejuvenated. We have a new coach and the players seem reenergized after last year's collapse.

I see the North coming down to a race between whichever team is more complete between KU, MU and NU. The rest of the teams in the North just don't have the talent to compete.

prairie_dog 9 years ago

I have only one prediction: KSuck will not beat KU in Lawrence.

In fact, I am guaranteeing a win.

mondhawk 8 years, 12 months ago

some of the posters on this board make me scratch my head. [ I"ll be happy if we beat Mizzou] for example, this coaching staff is known for recruiting and players win games they already proved something to me by getting this many commits this early in the process specially the OL. I believe soon we will be feeling the same way about DL linebackers NOT BAD considering all the problems from last year. This coaching staff connects with players and they will play hard and succeed. As the wins start to climb the caliber of the recruit will increase Gill and CO. will get the job done sooner than later watch and enjoy KU go to anther level.

okiedave 8 years, 12 months ago

Don't beleive KU will be a middle of the roader this year. Either they will be very good with high energy and enthusiasm under new HCTG or they will really be bad. I predict KU will either finish 1st or 2nd in the North or dead last.

Blake Post 8 years, 11 months ago

This really bites. Take care of the stinking ball, number one. I don't know what we have other than Opurum, a wonderful train, and of course, buffalo gill. I just like the nickname I game him, that's about it. Hope for the best, which means i hate the biters, NU most, then mzoo and ksucks. ksucks has nothing. they didn't even make a bowl last year. that means we played them in another toilet bowl. the previous comment makes no sense.

regarding mzoo, watch for gabby to make some bad throws at the wrong time and INTERCEPT THE dam thing. Ever notice how many INTs are right in the hands and are dropped?