Monday, January 25, 2010

Changing their stripes?

Former Tigers coaches Norm Stewart and Quin Snyder did their part to stoke the Border War nastiness, but new coach Mike Anderson ‘brings a little more class’ to the storied rivalry

Missouri coach Mike Anderson instructs his team in this 2008 file photo.

Missouri coach Mike Anderson instructs his team in this 2008 file photo.

GameDay Cram Session: Missouri

KUSports.com online editor Jesse Newell and Journal-World sports editor Tom Keegan take a look at what to expect from the Kansas basketball team's matchup against Missouri.

photo

From left, Former Missouri coach Norm Stewart, Kansas coach Bill Self, UMKC coach Matt Brown and current MU coach Mike Anderson visit at the Coaches vs. Cancer Season Tipoff reception in this file photo from Oct. 6, 2009, at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

photo

Journal-World File Photo

KU fans loved to hate curmudgeonly former Mizzou coach Norm Stewart, at right in photo. But current MU coach Mike Anderson seems to have escaped the ire of the Jayhawk Nation.

photo

Kansas University fans hoist newspapers denouncing Missouri basketball coach Quin Snyder. The ad appeared in the University Daily Kansan and was purchased by Doug Compton, a longtime friend of Snyder's. Compton is angry about the ad content.

photo

The Jayhawk student section displays an enlarged and modified version of artist John Steuart Curry’s Tragic Prelude painting which features abolitionist John Brown holding a rifle and in this case the 2008 national championship trophy at the men’s basketball game against Missouri on March 1 at Allen Fieldhouse.

photo

Kansas University basketball fans loved to hate Missouri’s Norm Stewart.

They lived to pester Quin Snyder.

But they’ve been pretty placid — some might say downright respectful — toward fourth-year Tiger basketball coach Mike Anderson, who takes a 1-5 record at MU against KU into today’s 8 p.m. Border War battle in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Watching him on TV, he brings a little more class to the Missouri Tigers as far as the rivalry between KU and MU,” said former KU guard Jeff Hawkins, assistant basketball coach at Ellis High School in Western Kansas.

“He just wants to win and get the best out of his players, not say, ‘We hate them,’ like maybe some of their past coaches. I don’t know if Missouri hired him out of class, but to get some wins, because he’s a great coach, too.”

Anderson, who followed Snyder (seven years) and Stewart (32 seasons), comes across as an impeccably dressed, soft-spoken, old-school, 50-year-old Southern gentleman, who was born and raised in Birmingham, Ala.

He’s a bit of a contrast to Stewart, who riled the KU faithful by bragging he never spent a dime in the state of Kansas and reportedly yelling at Jayhawk players during some games. And he’s different from the slick-haired Snyder, who was mocked by KU fans for getting the Tigers in hot water with the NCAA.

“Although you hated Norm, you respected Norm,” said former KU guard Greg Gurley, color analyst for Sunflower Broadband Channel Six.

“Norm was perfect. He had been there so long, he truly had a hatred for Kansas. I know Mike Anderson does, too, but Mike has been there three or four years. It’s not the same,” Gurley added. “Norm was fun to play against because he was crazy.

“I just remember him yelling at us. It almost seemed he did everything but coach his team. He yelled at refs. He yelled at us. He was so hung up on it (rivalry). You kind of want to look at him and wanted to say, ‘Hey, simmer down, dude. Coach your own team.’ That was part of it.”

‘I love the guy’

In contrast, Anderson, who has lost in Allen by 25, 19 and 3 points the past three years, has been pretty placid on the bench.

“I love the guy,” said former KU guard Ryan Robertson, regional director of investment management for Goldman-Sachs in St. Louis, who was recruited by Anderson when Anderson was an assistant at Arkansas.

“I’ve got nothing but good things to say about his program and style of play. I think there is so much mutual respect between coach (Bill) Self and Anderson, they say so many nice things about each other, that it has changed things somewhat. I think coach Anderson is first-class, just like coach Self. He does things the right way and is a likable person and coach,” Robertson added.

Former KU guard Jeff Boschee, coach at Barstow High in Kansas City, also follows both KU and MU hoops and their coaches closely.

“I think Mike Anderson is doing a heck of a job,” Boschee said. “He’s well respected, but I don’t think he’s changed things too much. I think the fans are way into it more than the players. When I was there, as a player you didn’t really know anything about the KU-MU rivalry until you were there a bit. It means the most to the fans. They get the most worked up about it.”

‘A lot of hatred’

Former KU guard Jerod Haase, who is an assistant coach at North Carolina, agrees that the fans make this rivalry pretty unique.

“KU-MU is a little different. When I talk about KU-MU ... there’s a lot of hatred there,” Haase said with a laugh. “It goes back a long way, You have to go back to the roots (Civil War). That’s where it all starts. It’s kind of hard to compare rivalries, but KU-MU is as intense as it gets.”

KU players who competed against MU coach Stewart seem to have the most vivid recollections of games. There was an unconfirmed rumor of the urban-legend type that Stewart ordered an MU player to hack at the injured wrist of Haase during a game in Columbia during Haase’s senior year.

“Who knows? I doubt it,” Haase said, asked if that was possibly true. “I doubt there was anything they could do to hurt it any more. It was already broken.”

Stewart ‘a good dude’

Former KU forward Mark Randall, now director of community relations with the Denver Nuggets, recalls hostile nights going against the Stewart-led Tigers in Columbia.

“I’ve met Norm (since Randall graduated), and the time I talked to him, he was total class,” Randall said. “The players I know from his era, Mike Sandbothe, Derrick Chievous, Nathan Buntin, all those guys say he’s a good dude.

“They swear he’s a good coach and person. Quin I would consider a friend of mine. He was a year older than me. We played together at the Olympic Sports Festival and played cards together. He didn’t have that arrogance that their fans have,” added Randall, indicating MU’s student cheering section, The Antlers, “went beyond the respect thing, calling you at 3 in the morning, knocking on your hotel-room door and leaving a little present, yelling things that you can’t believe come out of their mouths.”

Former KU center Eric Chenowith, who is an assistant coach at Villa Park High in Calif., and also manages his dad’s construction company, also has memories of Stewart and Snyder.

“I can just remember the Mizzou band playing in the parking lot at like 4 in the morning the night before we played them in Columbia,” Chenowith said. “I also remember playing against coach Snyder and how awkward that was. He recruited me really hard to go to Duke, and one time I took the ball out of bounds in front of him, and he looked at me and was like, ‘How did we both end up in Kansas together?’ I was pretty close with coach Snyder, and he introduced me to some of my best friends that I still currently have.

“The best memory was the ‘Sit Down Norm’ chant, and he never sat down the entire game,” added Chenowith, who notes, “I still hate Missouri to this day. My best friend, Mike Vogeding, is from St. Louis and wears Mizzou shirts around my house all the time to make me mad. But I’m fine with it because I have a winning record versus Missouri, and they never won anything while I was at KU.”

There was a chance last spring that tonight’s Border War battle might be directed by a new general on MU’s side. After last season, Anderson turned down an offer to coach at Georgia and signed a new seven-year deal at Mizzou.

“I’m glad he stayed. I think he’s done a great job there,” Gurley said.

“I think it helps the Big 12 as a whole having good coaches in the league. He didn’t just bolt for the money. He’s going to see it out at Missouri, and you’ve got to admire that. I do admire the guy.”

Comments

JayhawkRock 4 years, 9 months ago

I find it pretty easy to hate Mike Anderson...

Eurekahwk 4 years, 9 months ago

Glad to see he hasn't let that Duke-UNC hype cloud his log.

Haase knows that wrist slap was on purpose. Just like the throat elbow. He talks about it in "Floor Burns".

Eurekahwk 4 years, 9 months ago

Haase- Glad to see he hasn't let that Duke-UNC hype cloud his logic.

You can only truly hate when the coach exudes the Mizzou way. I'm not sure Anderson is all in with the Mizzou way. So he doesn't truly appreciate how to hate Kansas. I think he would move on if the right offer came up.

murph 4 years, 9 months ago

Can't believe no one mentioned the first reason Norm Stewart hates Kansas - he PLAYED at Mizzou! He cut his teeth on this rivalry very early. And he still lives it - like Don Fambrough does. It's not a show for them.

Quin Synder?? Meh...who cares?

Mike Anderson is so many steps up from that East Coast weasel. Mike is good for the league, and definitely good for MU. Sure, I still want the Hawks to beat them like a drum, but I no longer wish bad things for their coach.

ProudKansan 4 years, 9 months ago

Synder was easy to hate on multiple levels. I honestly found Stewart to be kinda funny and enjoyable...plus he was a pretty darn good coach. Sure he played up the rivalry and did and said things to motive his team. And I know some KU fans have built him up to be a monster. But occasionally he will be on the radio and he is actually a very calm and funny guy. He is MU through and though...but he doesn't bash KU when I hear him on the radio. I haven't decided my opinion on Anderson yet. Seems like a decent guy but it's too early to make a full judgement.

Robert Brock 4 years, 9 months ago

Who is an East Coast weasel? Quinny? He grew up and played at Mercer Island - Greater Seattle, Washington.

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 9 months ago

Norm Stewart was a pretty arrogant guy.

Back in the late 80's, I was a security guard while going to school at KU. I was working the Big-8 tournament at Kemper. This was the year that MU won the Big-8. After the game, I was 5' from Norm Stewart when he was being interviewed. The reporter told Stewart that he was a #4 seed in the NCAA tourney. His exact reponse was "Well, I'm glad we finally got the recognition we deserve". That was the year that Xavier knocked off the mighty MU in the first round. The #&^)@ got what he deserved.

Hawk80 4 years, 9 months ago

I can testify that not ALL people from Missouri are heinous. I was born and raised there. Unfortunately, my parents only had enough money to send one of their two kids to college, so while I went to KU, my brother had to go to Mizzou. Poor bastard.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Soobawls - good stuff. That is some deeply disturbing creativity, dawg.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Don't tell me Norm didn't stoke the fire when he was coaching against KU. My memories of Norm was when I was impressionable teenager going to school in Lawrence. He did act like a baby (as well as, Quin Synder) with a diaper rash! At AFH, there were fights under the basket that went out into the crowd. With Mike Anderson, he has put the calm and the class into the rivalry. Basically, it's the fans, and, Missouri fans are the worst. When I hear stories of former KU football players not taking their helmets off in Columbia because they'll get hit by batteries, that's bad! When I hear that the Antlers call players' cell phones at three and four in the morning, that's bad! When I hear that a Platte City, MO circuit judge, Owens Hull, has a framed print of Quantrill's raid of Lawrence in his chambers, that's bad! It's the fans and Kansas Jayhawk fans have more class! Good luck tonight, Jayhawks! RCJHGOKU!

Kevin Sontag 4 years, 9 months ago

"Tom Mendenhall, of Columbia, Mo., cheers on MU at a recent Kansas University basketball game. While William Quantrill is reviled in Lawrence, he is hailed as a folk hero in many parts of Missouri."

William Quantrill killed innocent people because he wanted to keep black people as slaves. You stay classy, Mizzou fans.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

thetagger--

I'll use the word that ralster uses a lot----

"PRICELESS!"

Tom Gillaspie 4 years, 9 months ago

Norm was only a good coach against KU. The rest of the time he was average at best. Recruited many good players, and did very little with their talent. Quin was swallowed by the graft/booster/money machine. Too bad, he was kind of fun to hate. Anderson seems like a decent guy, but he still runs the "40 minutes of hell/20 minutes of 'oh heck we just got beat again' by KU/idiot ball press" type of show. Don't really care about him at this point, but if you need a reason to hate Misery - you aren't really a KU fan.

VegasJhawk09 4 years, 9 months ago

I cant hate Anderson. He does seem like he has a bit more class than Norm and Quinn. The only thing that is important to me is the border war and KU will always win!!!

beawolf 4 years, 9 months ago

My daughter wanted to to go to MU (boyfriend). I said, "Even though it's the biggest High School in the Midwest, you have to stay in Kansas (out-state tuition is/was too high)". So it was Wichita State then transferred to KU (BS & Masters). I think the ex-boyfriend is still at MU (8 years).

5DecadeHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

"a little more class"

Sorry Bedore. I'm not buying that line.

Adding even a barely perceptible amount of class to Mizery would increase the total amount of class there by about a million percentage points.

Mike Anderson doesn't deserve to work in purgatory. He's too good for that. I hope he gets an offer from a better program soon. Georgia just wasn't the right job for him. John Pelphrey may be on the hot seat at Arkansas after they way he's performed this year. Anderson would be a lot better off at Arkansas than he'll ever be at Mizery. Arkansas actually has fans that will attend more than 2 or 3 games a year.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

Holy Batman, Soobawls....now you're talking. I'm from Missouri and can't think of one argument against your statement.[Luckily, I found Salvation and was reborn a Jayhawk in 1966]

Dynamitehawk....that's Miss Dawg which makes her rant even cooler.

NO ONE in America can match this rivalry..my brother who lives in Lawrence said that when all the Lawrence grade schoolers reach a certain grade, they all take a day and visit all the sites of the atrocities committed by Q's Raiders.

That makes every other rivalry in America look like playground crap!!!!!!

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

More important is the game at hand. MU may be 1 - 5 in conference but they will have a chip on their shoulder. Our guys better have the brass jock straps on tonight.

I mentioned last week that it would have been nice if KU was playing KSU after KSU's take down of Texas. My theory was that KSU had maybe shot it's wadd. Looks like I was right, they lost to OSU at home.

Scott Smetana 4 years, 9 months ago

rockchalk_dpu 4 years, 9 months ago

All great points, but I think it is important to remember that when Norm retired, we actually treated him better than Missouri did, actually inviting him back for the game and giving him the rocking chair (so Norm would finally sit down). As much as I disliked him as a coach (and fervently hate all things MU) I thought that was a pretty class move on our part.

That said, I find it pretty easy to hate Anderson. His style of "defense" is nothing more than hacking and fouling as many times as possible knowing all the fouls won't be called (similarly to what K-State has recently employed in their pressure defense). That isn't basketball, that's laziness and knowing you don't have the same talent level, so you'll make up for it by wearing down a team by fouling all game. Hope we blow out MU tonight and get in one more test against "pressure defense" before the so-called "Octagon of DOOM."

RCJ

JayhawkRock 4 years, 9 months ago

Snyder was easy for me to hate because he coached Missouri and he played at Duke.

Muck Fizzou

kushaw 4 years, 9 months ago

How come anytime "Chenowith" is mentioned I cringe? I don't know what it is, but he's one of my least favorite Jayhawks of all-time. I think his arrogance he exuded on the court for a below average big-man always irritated me.

kushaw 4 years, 9 months ago

"Hey BC... do a little homework before posting please. Methsewery is 3-1 in conference.

I think Anderson is a great coach, but an idiot for not accepting the Georgia or any other respectable job last year. He has very little talent this year, so no reason we shouldn't spank them tonight on ESPN."

Why is Anderson an idiot for not taking the Georgia? That is a terrible job! It's a football school where basketball will always play second fiddle. In terms of basketball, Georgia is a bottom dwellar and always has been a bottom dwellar. Sorry to say, but Georgia is where head coaching careers go to die, not to get "Jump-Started". Georgia doesn't even have a Wikipedia page for basketball. Finally, Georgia has played 17 games all-time in the NCAA tournament and is 7-10.

Missouri on the other hand, whether people like it or not is a basketball school. Mizzou tries to claim it's a football school, but don't buy into the insanity. Mizzou is twice the job of Georgia. The Tigers play in a better conference and Mizzou needed some success after a decade of mediocrity. The smartest thing the Mizzou athletic deapartment did was sign Anderson to a long-term contract. Kudos to Mizzou and Anderson.

kufaninmo 4 years, 9 months ago

i actually repect and kind of like mike anderson and the job he does. i HATE mu though, so i guess i feel like they don't deserve to have a good coach like that.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 9 months ago

Sorry about the conference record statement, I was looking at Anderson's record as MU coach vs KU at the same time I was lookng at conference stats.

But the larger point still holds, they will be out for blood.

Joe Baker 4 years, 9 months ago

I didn't like Stormin Norman and I can't stand Queenie Synder!!

Normie was horrible and took the rivalry to new nasty levels.

Queenie was a Dook snob!

Rock Chalk Beat the tiggers!

Uhjh 4 years, 9 months ago

Stewart and Snyder made themselves easy to hate. Anderson is so different it hard to hate him personally. The total lack of class, raw viciousness and hostility by the MU fans leaves nothing but disgust for the KU fans. Mizzou fans over the years have nurtured the hatred to the point of total revulsion and deserve annihilation. The antlers are a subhuman group of absolute vile that just make it easy to loath MU.

bradynsdad 4 years, 9 months ago

i dont like mu but anderson is not a jerk he doesnt seem to care about the rivalry, he just wants to win. also as die hard as i am i think duke/unc is probably the second biggest rivalry in sports next to yankees/bosox. regardless i hope we stomp them tonight.

Funhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Mike Anderson is a much better coach than Quin and Norm were.

Chad Waetzig 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm proud to say that Norm once flipped me the bird. We had just beat them by 30 or so at AFH my senior year. As we were leaving the Fieldhouse, my buddies and I yelled the Rock Chalk Chant across the court at Norm as he was doing a post-game radio interview. His response? Flipped me off. Classic...

100 4 years, 9 months ago

Mike Anderson is a really good person.

An awful fit for the program he's coaching. If only they had a history book at the Missouri Library he might have a chance to discover this.

We like you a lot Coach Anderson -- you're a class act!

MIZNIT 4 years, 9 months ago

Jesus, how many ignorant posts are there on here about the state of Missouri. I whole heartedly agree that Mizzou deserves to lose by 30, and their fan base is arrogant and basically a bunch of Kool-Aid drinkers. However, suggesting that the entire state of Missouri in comprised of backwoods rednecks that live in double-wides, is just stupid. Keep in mind St. Louis, and Kansas City are both bigger than anything the state of Kansas has. So please no more posts that resemble a Mizzou fans work.

Funhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Forrest Clare "Phog" Allen was born and raised in Missouri. So, Missouri can't be all that bad.

MGJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Why is KUSports.com writing good things about MU and their staff/players???? This is a rivalry! C'mon Bedore, write something that will fire up our fan base (not that we need much of it) and make us really want to cheer and root louder for the Hawks. Let's stop giving the Tigers e-hugs with stories like this. You know when we go to COMO in a month or so, their writers and fans will be all over us.

MUCK FIZZOU!!!

KU - 93 MU - 61

Scott Smetana 4 years, 9 months ago

KUshaw, "Mizzou is twice the job of Georgia....Kudos to Mizzou and Anderson."

Whose side are u on? Even if Georgia is not a 'basketball' school, no reason it can't be. I think the Bulldogs have way more class than Mizzery and were offering big bucks. I was misfortunate enough to live in that inbred state for 3 years. Try going to a sportsbar in St. Louis to a KU/MU game and see how their fans act and you'll hate them forever. They'll cuss in your face with kids at the table and spit on our players (I've seen it at Columbia twice).

Nice work Beawolf.

Soobawls, that was my favorite post of yours yet. Keep up the good work.

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Here's another thing that ticks me off---ESPN usually does the game and the guy who is a former Missouri player is the color analyst (can't think of his name). When he does the game, it's Missouri this, Missouri that--just makes the rivalry more dicey!

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Now, I remember--Jon Sunvolt (SP?). God, he does a lot of KU games!

NebraskaJayhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

Don't think for a minute that Anderson doesn't care about the rivalry. Give me a break....all of you who think he just wants to win. Missouri would not hire a coach that did not care about this rivalry. I do agree that he has more class, but I also gaurantee you he won't coach at Mizzou for very long if he can't start posting wins against KU.

Kent Wells 4 years, 9 months ago

Lets see here. What is that expression I am searching for??? Muck Fizzou. Oh wait, there is another. A tiger never changes his stripes.

Rock Chalk and crush tigger.

gatorhawk45 4 years, 9 months ago

Pieces of ice thrown at our car in Columbia and the compliance staff doing everything they could to keep us from getting our tickets from Coach Williams at will call was a pretty typical example of Mizzzou. (we sang the Rock Chalk Chant that night as the Antlers displayed Ryan Robertson's phone number) Oh yea, the football game at Mizzou where one of our players was hit in the head with a Jack Daniel's bottle. Most recently, after the Mizzou game at P&L district-"classy gentlemen" with Mizzo shirts take our bar stools while we were greeting friends that had just arrived. Tactlessness is way of life from the top to the bottom for MU. Anderson is still a rookie.

100 4 years, 9 months ago

Forrest Phog Allen had a choice between 2 schools

1. One that was associated with Quantrill & whose state had (the same place the money to build Missouri University & hire it's teachers came from), had filed the paperwork to make Missouri a Slave state

2. The other choice for Phog was a little University town who not only didn't file paperwork for slavery but in fact was the nation's official "Free State" headquarters, that stood up against all that was wrong with this movement that Missouri legislatures were so fond of

Fortunately for us 40 years before Phog had to make this decision, just after Quantril came to town and burnt us down, President Lincoln decided it was time to squash slavery via a little War called the Civil War.

Missouri's dealings have everything to do with this. I think many of us have dealings in Missouri, maybe even lots of friends & a few of us, family: but we can't deny that without question this fundamental truth is what has always divided us & has always caused so much hate towards the Missouri Tigers (which again is directly tied to Missouri)

Problems we've always had with Missouri:

1. They've never apolgized for the raid. Yes it was Quantril & his Raiders, but when they've filed paperwork, how stupid do they think we are to think there was no Missouri affliation with this raid. After all these years, no one has apologized.

2. They have never admitted they were wrong about filing slavery paperwork. That would be a good starting point. The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree.

That same school pays Anderson's checks. That same fanbase who signed the paperwork for slavery and lost the war still hates us.

On a lighter note, thankfully for us Naismith came across "the World's greatest goal thrower" in Kasas City (Missour!!!!) & refereed three games for his team & persuaded him to come visit Lawrence.

Why did Phog stay? 1. Naismith. 2. Lawrence's wide, paved streets, and lit up storefronts! He said Columbia had narrow muddy roads & boarded up downtown.

Ironically the first person Naismith met when he came to Lawrence from Denver? Colonel Eldridge at the burned & rebuilt Free State Hotel (now called the Eldridge Hotel). Naismith's family stayed there for the first 3 nights and became one with the State of Kansas's ideology during those three days -- Colonel Eldridge made sure of that -- and after what they did, there was nothing Eldridge hated more than Missouri sympathizers (some Missouri taxpayers tried to set up funds for lost profits after the war because of the inability to use slaves after they had filed).

All of this aside is it hard to see why Phog stayed as far away from Columbia as he could? He loved his home town friends in Missouri & had a wife from Missouri, but he had no sympathy Missouri's anger after the War they jump started.

In later years Phog himself "hated the Tigers" with such a passion Coach Harp would have to settle him down after his pregame speeches!!!!!

NH_JHawk 4 years, 9 months ago

kushaw -

I bet Mark Fox (Kansas native) would disagree with you about Georgia being a horrible place to coach. Fox is an excellent coach (ask Nevada) and I'm willing to bet he turns that program around quickly. UGA, with not much talent to speak of, has already beaten Illinois, GaTech (ranked), and now Tennessee (ranked) and also had UK down by double digits. It's not that I have any sort of allegiance to UGA, but I did grow up with Mark Fox and he's not the type of person who would go to a place for his career to die.

Back to the topic at hand:

Mizzery sucks!

bad_dog 4 years, 9 months ago

When it comes to lack of class, Mizzery fans ascend to the top. It's good, I guess that they excel at something...

I'm sure all the readers here are familiar with the Antler's antics-many of which are recounted above. But let's not forget their signs taunting Roy Williams following his mother's death or the weasel at Columbia cursing Raef Lafrentz the entire game while sitting behind his parents (he finally shut up when Mr. Lafrentz stood up and identified himself to the idiot). Or MU's Head of Security ejecting a KU law student for holding up an "Allen Field House East" banner several years ago. They reviewed and allowed the banner when he went entered their outhouse but confiscated it after the Hawks went into the lead. They then charged him with criminal trespass after he bought another ticket and returned to the game. (It seems a bit ironic that there was even another ticket available for purchase at the box office for such a rivalry game).

There's also the recent example of the Moo fan flipping the bird to LJW sports photographer Nick Krug at Arrowhead last year-while knowing he was being photographed. Kind of a badge of honor to the hick, I guess. And you just have to love the portrayal of Mizzery fans in the Price Chopper commercials-just a bunch of fat loudmouths in "Old Gold" t-shirts when Big Jay shows up at their door.

And nothing says "no class" any more plainly than a state agency that will issue a buggy tag inscribed with "Burn-KU" as illustrated in the inset photo. It's interesting the dude wears it around his neck like he's posing for his mug shot... Oh well, that's the same state that refused to provide a highway patrol escort for the team buses from the state line to Arrowhead in 2007, such that they had to crawl through the gameday traffic with everyone else.

Oh and lest I forget, how about them booing the KU band at Arrowhead in 2007? I mean they were just playing the National Anthem-no big deal, right? Shouldn't your hatred for the opposition's band override your sense of patriotism? They really do seem to have some issues with the KU band given their harassment at Ferret Field on numerous occasions.

Oh well, I guess Karma kind of evens things out a bit when you consider things like Tyus Edney, the infamous 5th down versus Colorado and the kicked ball for a touchdown reception that should have been a dead ball in the end-zone versus Nebraska, the 2008 Orange Bowl "slight", losing the 2006 Sun Bowl by one point to Oregon State after surrendering a 10 point lead going into the 4th quarter, etc., etc.

KU 75 MOO 62

100 4 years, 9 months ago

Booed the national Anthem. Started the Civil War. State agency passes out anti American (another state of the union) pendants. Have not once apologized for filing slavery paperwork.

This same Legislature & it's people started Missouri University!!!!

Gee, I wonder why the overall Tiger attitudes of hatred seem nearly identical to the attitudes of a state filing for slavery that got whooped in a Civil War 150 years ago?

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...

Scott Smetana 4 years, 9 months ago

MIZNIT... see all the above posts while Most, not all, of that state is to laugh at. Also, I didn't see anyone post how most of their state government is absolutely corrupt. Anyone with any money pays big bucks to send their kids to private school and their roads are the worst in the USA. All of these reasons is why I don't even consider this a rivalry, just pure hate. Let them go to the Big Ten.

rawkhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

rockchalk_dpu, I remember the rocking chair treatment for Norm in AFH. It did help to soften the edges of acrimony that I felt towards Norm. I miss Quin...he was the perfect incompetent nemesis. Add to that, watch the 88' footage of Quin playing for Duke as they lost to KU in the semifinals with a younger Coach K on the sidelines, showing a familiar blank stare.

Anderson is more respectable, but it's still mizzou. Show no mercy, 'Hawks!

ku_foaf 4 years, 9 months ago

Anyone who does not think Mike Anderson does not have some class really, really doesn't remember Norm Stewart! I cannot remember Quinn ever really acting like a jerk - but that is comparing him to Norm again as the "jerk standard." As I've mentioned before, people from other schools say Norm was about as bad there as he was KU, but he really saved it up for the Jayhawks. I did see his show once (don't know why I watched it!) when Derrick Chievous was on the team and he was surprising charming and funny. I often had wondered "Who the hell would want to play for him??"

There is certainly no change in the fans, though. The Missouri students still do the same classless stuff like phoning the KU team all night and the noted band playing outside the hotel room.

Honestly, I am tired of the Civil War talk. This is something that started recently, it seems about 3 years ago. You never heard that stuff in the 70s & 80s. The war has been over 145 years.

KU1992 4 years, 9 months ago

yeah. i remember going on the field trip to all the sites that got burned down in grade school. and just every parent and teacher telling me how evil missouri is. I know a lot of missouri fans, and they like to believe KU is as bad as them. But i really don't think we are anywhere close to that classless. How can they even defend quantril and the fact that they were a slave state.

Ironic that now their coach and over half their team are black? They can thank Kansas for fighting for their rights.

beawolf 4 years, 9 months ago

"However, suggesting that the entire state of Missouri in comprised of backwoods rednecks that live in double-wides, is just stupid. Keep in mind St. Louis, and Kansas City" Same thing, just bigger double wides.

100 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm so glad I'm reading today & we can all be straightened out.

Apparently the bad blood between Kansas & Missouri started just 3 years ago!

MIZNIT 4 years, 9 months ago

"Beawolf" is just upset because his double-wide got repossessed.

Rick Arnoldy 4 years, 9 months ago

Back as a green freshman from central Kansas I always thought K-State was our biggest rival and didn’t understand the hatred of Missouri.

I said as much when visiting with a friend’s elderly relatives in KC. I was given such a shocked look I still remember their faces today.

I knew then this was more than just sports and school rivalries we were talking about.

kujayhawk34 4 years, 9 months ago

I know this has nothing to do with this game, but i just got my acceptance letter from KU. I'm so excited that I decided to post this so everyone can see. Looking forward to the game tonight!

KU-82

MU-69

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 4 years, 9 months ago

ohioburg-

EXACTLY how I felt! Hailing from Larned, I always loathed K-State and their massive numbers of fans out there. I didn't realize the intensity of KU-MU until coming to Lawrence.

I still have to say I hate K-State more, though. Too many people back home love KSU, I gotta rub it in when they suck.....which is often.

Uhjh 4 years, 9 months ago

A TIGER will never change it's STRIPES!

Steve Gantz 4 years, 9 months ago

I didn't know anything about KU basketball when I came there in 85. No preconceived notions about this rivalry. 3 years later when I left Lawrence, I hated misery and do to this day. See it's just a natural thing. Packers, Cubs and misery. Hate em all, can't stand em. (I do agree with Bedore however, Mike Anderson is a classy man and can be genuinely liked!)

Mike Kendall 4 years, 9 months ago

Good news, Jayhawk Nation--Brent Musburger and Bob Knight doing the game tonight in AFH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lance1jhawk 4 years, 9 months ago

soobawls - Nice post

Methzuri is going down like a Tiger Woods mistress! Kill Mizzery RCJHGKU!!!!

jayhawkinmullen 4 years, 9 months ago

soobawls,

That might be the funniest picture I have ever seen.

dynamitehawk 4 years, 9 months ago

kujayhawk34, congrats. Make the most of it.

A haiku for Big Monday:

Nancy pants MU. With all your trailers and meth! George Brett is cool though.

mikehawk 4 years, 9 months ago

My son's favorite comment from Sherron came in his freshmen year. At the end of the game, with the KU victory achieved, the announcer interviewed him, asking him if he now appreciated the rivalry with Mizzou. His response was, "I didn't really know much about it, but coach explained it to us at halftime."

Hawk1969 4 years, 9 months ago

Congrats kujayhawk34.

Stewart was a weasel; "Crazy Quin" was a weasel; give Anderson some time.

Jack Wilson 4 years, 9 months ago

KU 84 MU 68

How can a team play college basketball for over a century and NOT make it to one final four? The answer is in Columbia. Dartmouth, Duequesne, Colorado, Holy Cross, Baylor, NYU, Wichita St., NC-Charlotte, SMU, Drake, Dayton, Iowa St., Seattle, and for goodness sake, Santa Clara, have all obtained Final Four immortality. But Missouri ... well they haven't. One wonders how, in 110 years, there can't be at least one fluke to get to a final four?

Has a school's fans ever held a higher opinion of themselves for no apparant reason? I have researched long and hard, and the conclusion is "no." This school hired Quinn Snyer over coach Self. This school hired Larry Smith. This school forced Norm Stewart ot leave, for Quinn Snyder. This school rests in a state with highways in shambles, major cities with urban decay, and banjos that play relentlessly further south, for those seeking deliverance. This school prides themselves on their civil war history in the border war .. weren't they a slave state? And its basketball arena, first known as the "Paige" Sports arena, was named for a college student who attended USC. Now it is simply Mizzou arena. Very original. Perhaps they could have harkened back to their basketball heritage, and pulled a name worthy of recognition ... word is they tried. Paige was the best option. Mizzou fans are known to "storm the court" for wins .. in January .. against Oklahoma, or Oklahoma St. They've been known to start the season in the top 5, only to finish in the NIT. Just making the tournament is success. Their favorite March pasttime is rooting against their rival.

Once known as a softball school, MU continues to emphasize its school of journalism. That is absolutely wonderful. They are so sure and confident about their existence, that they lobbied the legislature to keep Missouri State from become "Missouri State", preferring the less threatening Southwest Missouri State. Their football stadium sits on Champions Drive, yet has there ever been a real "championship?" Their fans scream bloody murder when their own player steps out of bounds, sure that the ref moved the line. The Antlers sit around and giggle about making phone calls to opposing players' rooms, all the while spending lots of time together, in hotel rooms .. not sure what the antlers are for; don't want to know. Or drinking with coach Eustachy .. Natty light, I hear. Or visiting some dude named Clemons in jail, eating crackers. Has a school every had major success yanked away at the last moment like this pathetic institution? The NU football "kicked" TD in the last second as fans run onto the field, thinking they had won. Tyus Edney. A #1 football ranking only to get punked by a real football school. The following season was to be THE season, but it crumbles without a Chase. And a 5th down to defeat vs. Colorado. It is cruel, isn't it? It seems Missouri is always shooting themselves in the foot.

Grrrrr Tigers.

jaybate 4 years, 9 months ago

Are they changing their stripes? Maybe in rhetoric, but not really in terms of basketball.

Norm, Sparky Stalcup, Iba.

Quin, Coach K, Knight, Taylor and Iba.

Anderson, Nolan Richardson, Haskins, Iba.

Self, Eddie, Hansen, Iba.

It is unfortunate, but the state of Fizzouri produced two great basketball men--Allen and Iba.

Iba was born and raised in Easton, Missouri. He played college basketball at Westminster College.--Wikipedia

Allen was born in either Jameson, Missouri or Jamesport, Missouri. The communities are 10 miles apart in Daviess County, Missouri. State and county birth records indicate he was born in Jameson. His father William Allen was among the 30 people who originally incorporated Jameson in 1876 and the doctor who delivered Allen lived in Jameson. However his father also had strong ties to Jamesport where he was town clerk, collector and constable. Biographies of Allen usually refer to his birth place as Jamesport. His family later moved to Independence.--Wikipedia

Fortunately for college basketball, the people of Fizzouri were too dumb to embrace Allen, or Iba.

Further, Kansas was still politically and sociallyprogressive and still benefitting from the glow of the greatest grass roots political movement of the 19th or 20th Centuries--the Populist Party that took over by fair elections for a short time Kansas' legislature, and governor's office, and attorney general's office. Partly because of this rich, progressive social loam, progressive thinkers like Naismith and Allen were attracted to Kansas, as a place one could get a fair start and do something important.

The Populists had also been very active in Oklahoma, as well, though much less politically successful than in Kansas.

Now consider, Fizzouri: socially and politically, the old Democratic machine of Missouri was never significantly uprooted by the winds of first Populism, then Progressivism.

Missouri was a state for smart, ambitous, young men, like Allen and Iba, to leave.

The states of Kansas and Oklahoma are forever indebted to the robust stupidity of the state of Missouri, regarding the game of college basketball.

PickleFuzz 4 years, 9 months ago

Quite a few years ago a friend of mine was a friend of alot of the refs in the Big 8 and Big 12. They told him that the reason MU never did any good in the NCAA tourny was that the players were so sick of Norm that they didn't even try! They just wanted the season over with. I bet some of those refs that retired should write some REALLY GOOD BOOKS.

GreyHawker 4 years, 9 months ago

NH_JHawk.....agree with ya......Mark's a good guy from GC and a dang good coach!! One of his asst. is a cousin of mine from Weskan...played for Nevada a couple years back when they made their run thru the Big Dance (Mark was an asst. there then). Anyway...gotta cover the back of one of our own!!!!

Hawk80 4 years, 9 months ago

Hey Miznit,

I'm a born and raised St. Louisan. Not all Jayhawks are Kansans, but we bleed Crimsan and Blue. I was smart enough to know where to go to get a great education and I will be a Jayhawk till my last breath. May Mizzeri never again win in Hallowed AFH. RCJH.

Mike Young 4 years, 9 months ago

It's only a rivalry when you when SOMETIME. I hate Missouri but I took off work to watch the game. I thought they'd make it interesting.