Originally published August 26, 2010 at 10:17p.m., updated August 27, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

C.J. Henry to transfer to Southern Nazarene

Kansas guard C.J. Henry drives past Central Arkansas guard Imad Qahwash during the first half, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Former Kansas University guard C.J. Henry will be playing basketball at NAIA school Southern Nazarene University this season, Crimson Storm coach Adam Bohac said Thursday night.

The 6-foot-4 Henry will be eligible to play immediately, since he is dropping from NCAA Div. I to the NAIA level. Southern Nazarene is located in Bethany, Okla.

“We are excited C.J. has decided to join us. We expect C.J. to have an immediate impact on our team,” Bohac said. “He brings a wealth of experience with different teams and organizations that have won championships, going back to the Yankees (where he played pro baseball) and Memphis (his first college).

“We are excited to bring that experience here. He’s a mature kid of high character. We look forward to him joining our program.”

Henry averaged 3.1 points in 13 games for KU last season. It’s believed his reason for transferring is to obtain significant playing time as a 24-year-old junior.

“We expect and hope that C.J. can really impact the game offensively for us. I think he is a really good shooter and will be able to score the ball for us this year,” said Bohac, who finalized the transfer process with Henry on Thursday morning.

Henry has said his goal is to play in the NBA.

“I think the way the game of basketball has evolved, if you can play, they will find you regardless of who you are and where you play,” Bohac said. “Our (Sooner Athletic) conference is full of Div. I transfers and Div. I talents that are playing at this level now. I saw today the Taylor King kid (who played at Duke and Villanova) is now at Concordia in California,” he added of that NAIA school.

Bohac is in his third season at the Oklahoma school, which went 27-8 last year and qualified for the NAIA Tournament. Henry hails from Oklahoma City.

“I’ve been familiar with C.J.’s father (Carl) and a little bit with his brother, Xavier,” Bohac said of the former KU players. “I at least was familiar with C.J. and his story. I think being from Oklahoma City, he will provide an added shot of enthusiasm (for fan base).”

Comments

Benjamin Piehler 4 years ago

i am on a first comment roll. anyway. southern who??

sevenyearhawk 4 years ago

Hahaha ... a-freaking-men!!!

Well played, sir.

JayhawkRock 4 years ago

Comes from teams that have won championships like Memphis and the Yankees?

Memphis never won a title and CJ was never with the actual Yankees...What does CJ know about winning titles?

Martin Rosenblum 4 years ago

His closet is going to look like a Dick's Sprorting Goods store with all of the gear he has accumulated from the teams he has been associated with.

NAIA! Really, C.J.? The spiral is headed in a downward direction. What's next, the "And One" Tour?

JJHAWK 4 years ago

Never saw him smile while he was at KU. Walk on positions got tight, two added, two left. Suspect Coach Self gave him an honest assessment about his chances of cracking starting five this year and perhaps next year.

I hope Southern proves the right move for him - at least he should start. Lets all wish him well and hope this years recruiting class starts shaping up. We need some good bods or next year could be a true rebuilding year.

cklarock 4 years ago

Whut? NAIA?

OK, good luck CJ, hope you have success at your new school. I was hoping I'd get to see you shine in a KU uniform, but I'm sure you've made the right choice for yourself.

Scott Smetana 4 years ago

Probably just wants to see from freakin minutes.. don't blame him. I wish he could have stayed in the Big 12, though. Surely OU or OSU could have used him.

Sam Constance 4 years ago

I have a feeling he didn't even look at other D-1 schools, given that the reason for his transfer is playing time. Having already sat out a year at Memphis for red-shirt, I'm sure he was interested in taking whatever path was the quickest to immediate PT.

dynamitehawk 4 years ago

Actually, the Henrys did a great job of PR this week. Having X on campus, hanging out, going to class with his boys, and then to quote about his brother: " I’m trying to see where his head is at" - I am impressed with this. I think that CJ will most likely get into coaching. His is very focused and has taken the approach that most smart people would in his situation. Hopefully he is great.

And I have been analyzing, "There is more than one way to skin a cat." Really????

Martin Rosenblum 4 years ago

Shouldn't be an issue at Southern Nazarene.

KEITHMILES05 4 years ago

Just waiting for his pops to tell us how "great" CJ is and all that. Sorry but there is a certain element of dysfunction with this family. Xavier seems pretty well grounded and will survive and prosper if he stays away from the screwballs in the family.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years ago

I picture CJ as the family member who always ends up storming away from the table at their family Thanksgivig meal after nothing goes his way! There's always somebody like that in most dysfunctional families, isn't there?

jayhawkinmullen 4 years ago

If this does not solidify the fact that Self wanted C.J to get X then I don't know what would. C.J was never in the plans even as a walk on for this year and he realized it. Good luck though C.J enjoy the holy rollers.

jhawk613 4 years ago

Yeah, but that speaks to CJ's character. He was willing to come to KU and never play, because that is what was BEST for Xavier.

Now, he's doing what is best for himself.

blackhawkjayhawk 4 years ago

Shocking news to all of us, I'm sure. As stated above, wasn't he supposed to be better than Sherron Collins? Mr. Self, please don't do this again.

bradh 4 years ago

How did Self get into the conversation?

KU 4 years ago

CJ Henry is NOT 6'4"! The dude is a 6'1" shooting guard with his shoes on. He has a decent outside stroke, but there are a LOT of 6'1" shooting guards with a 3-point shot in the NAIA. He should fit in nicely at that level.

FarSideHawk 4 years ago

Best of Luck to CJ! However, if he doesn't think he is good enough to crack the rotation at Kansas, what makes him think he can get in the NBA playing for a NAIA school?

Edward Daub 4 years ago

Wow, what a relief! I heard a rumor C.J. was headed to Northern Iowa.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years ago

I heard that too. And he was changing his name to Ali Imnotajhkanymo. (thought it would bring him better luck)

Carter Patterson 4 years ago

I would have thought a D-League team would have given him a shot.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years ago

1 college season, 13 games, 3.1 pts per game!

Maybe the F- League!

RockChalkGuy 4 years ago

NOW THAT'S F'N FUNNY. Very clever comeback, memhawk.

Joel Hood 4 years ago

C'mon now, Scottie Pippen, Dennis Rodman, Ben Wallace, all came from smaller schools and made a huge splash in the NBA. Maybe, CJ... oh, wait... never mind.

Good luck to you CJ! Thanks for the the great soap opera you played for us here at Mt. Oread - it was quite entertaining to watch.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years ago

"..Does this qualify me to be called a "one and done" like my brother?"

C J Henry

jhawk613 4 years ago

Wow, we have some bitter fans here.

Did you ever think that CJ sacrificed a year of his life in order for Xavier to sign with KU and further X's career. CJ helped facilitate that transfer and it led to a 33-win season. The early exit was because everyone deferred to Sherron.

I hope it works for CJ at Southern Nazarene.

hawk316 4 years ago

amen, jhawk613. CJ is a player with lots of talent, but had trouble staying healthy while at KU. Now he needs a place to display his skills because he wants to give the NBA a shot. What's wrong with that? Let's not be so mean-spirited, folks. Best wishes, CJ.

JHawk74 4 years ago

Good Luck CJ! Thanks for being a KU player for 1 year. Enjoy you last 2 years of Basketball at Southern Nazarene.

I'm sure CJ just wants to be a starter and play 30+ min a game and he can do that at Southern Nazarene. We have 15 players or more on the team. It was going to be hard to get significant playing time unless your a starter. CJ wasn't going to start this year.

RockChalkMaine 4 years ago

uhmm maybe this has already been mentioned but if Selby is ruled in eligible then it would seem to me C.J. had the potential to start at PG in lieu and average over 30 mins/game for a national contender. Elijah has shown really nothing at PG to make me think he could take Selby's place any better than Henry. And don't say Tyrel or Morningstar would fill in at point. That is absurd. Perhaps moving TT over yes but CJ would seem to be an experienced athlete that could handle this job with his mature leadership, ball handling and even outside shot.

ChicagoJHawk 4 years ago

Umm...okay, where do I begin? "He brings a wealth of experience with different teams and organizations that have won championships, going back to the Yankees (where he played pro baseball) and Memphis (his first college)." He played in the minors for the Yankees and didn't play when he was at Memphis, the school that never won a championship.

If CJ can't crack the rotation at KU then he has no shot at the NBA. Yeah, I get it, he wants to be a big fish in a small pond and get the lions share of the minutes but if he truly was an NBA caliber player he could/should try to get more playing time at KU. At KU he would benefit more from playing against other NBA level players on a daily basis, better facilities and from a coach who has already got several players to the NBA.

hawksince51 4 years ago

But can someone tell me why this kid does not get on with his baseball career? Since his dream is the NBA (good luck on that one) how long will the Yankees wait?

Riddick 4 years ago

that would be funny if he couldnt crack the starting rotation there.

stravinsky 4 years ago

Hawksince51, mostly it's that he sucked as a minor league player. Like, his batting average was truly awful (.222 with 57 fielding errors in nearly 300 games, according to wiki). For whatever reason, the Yankees are still paying his bills though. I guess they're not exactly hurting for cash.

Hopefully he finds some success and happiness at Southern Nazarene.

hawksince51 4 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. Doesn't make sense though; while I'm no fan I always thought the Yankees were a smart team. For example George S choosing to die in the only year his family would not get stuck with a big estate tax. So I always assumed CJ was worth the bucks since they keep paying the bills. Like you, I wish him well at whatever he ends up doing.

Sam Constance 4 years ago

Shame on way too many of you KU fans. I'm really getting sick of the spoiled mentality that seems to be oozing from Jayhawk nation lately. If a player doesn't come in and amaze us or makes a couple silly decisions, the Jayhawk masses seem far too quick to label them 'persona non grata'. Recently, it seems like the fans are turning on players much more quickly than they used to. Too many fans who jumped in the bandwagon after 2008, who have no real appreciation for how the program got to where it is today, imho.

I saw several posts along the lines of the "soap opera" and making fun of C.J.'s NBA prospects or baseless, uninformed comments about how he is a "team cancer" and I really don't see the point (or evidence, for that matter). The kid came to Kansas as a walk-on, never really saw significant minutes, but kept his mouth shut and helped the team by helping to provide a team for the rotation regulars to practice against.

I also wanted to mention that not being able to crack the rotation at a top school like Kansas is all but meaningless in terms of NBA prospects. Sure, the odds are against him (as they are against probably 80% of ALL college basketball players), but he's a good athlete, he can shoot well, and he's willing to make the decisions to get himself where he wants to go even when those decisions are tough. He had to know that fans would get down on him for transferring and I'm sure it takes a little bit of humility to transfer "down" in terms of competition level. But he did it because he sees that it is the most likely way he will achieve his goals. Personally, I find that kind of motivation admirable.

KU 4 years ago

Ohhhhhhh, I get it. "marchphog88" is really Carl Henry. Makes perfect sense now.

jaybate 4 years ago

But, but, what about Carl saying CJ was as good as any guard KU had?

Was Carl wrong?

Or was Bill?

Seriously, CJ should have stayed at KU.

He's apparently going to SoNaz to try to put up big numbers.

Big deal.

He could have stayed at KU two more years and put himself on the map his last season, plus he could have been a part of a great program, and he could have gotten a great education at KU.

This was a foolish move which ever way you cut it, unless Bill Self actually told a 6'4", 205 lb guard with a fabulous trifecta to take a hike.

Do you really believe Bill Self wouldn't have found a 10-20 minute role for CJ this season? The kid can play, if he just could stay healthy.

Going to SoNaz is dumb. If he can't stay healthy at SoNaz, he walks away with zip. If he can't stay healthy at KU, at least he walks away with a useful degree and a deep connection with Jayhawk nation and the Okie Baller mafia.

Again, this move does not add up unless it is to get 25 fgas per game and he leads the nation in scoring.

Maybe he will, but what if he gets hurt in Bethany, OK?

KU 4 years ago

He's not 6'4". He's 6'1" with shoes on. There are a lot of 6'1" shooting guards at the NAIA level. He won't exactly tear up the competition.

Joel Hood 4 years ago

march - c'mon bro, I don't expect anyone to read my past posts, but I defended the Henry's on this board for over a year. I still don't begrudge them for their decisions, but that doesn't mean I can't joke about it. Carl, X, & CJ are all fine men and I am glad they all suited up for the Hawks, but that doesn't mean I have to white wash the drama they brought to the Jayhawk Nation.

Sam Constance 4 years ago

Well, truth be told, yours was really one of the more harmless posts and I only mentioned soap opera in my post because it was top of mind. In reading it again, I can see that it was intended in jest.

But I stand by my comments about feeling like the KU nation as a whole has become more entitled, spoiled, demanding, etc. ...whatever you want to call it... since the 2008 title season. Not that you are one of those, just a general observation.

David Friend 4 years ago

Not for anything but Brandon Rush was suspended today for 5 games for violating the leagues drug policy.. Guess the 2008 celebration is still continuing!!!

Dan Cook 4 years ago

Thank you marchphog88. I share your sentiments. As much as it pains me to say this, I believe that more and more KU fans are becoming spoiled, whiny and far too critical. I've never understood the need to publicly bash kids who play on our sports teams, even if they deserve it in some cases, but especially when the authors don't really know what they're talking about. Of course, give people an anonymous forum and some of them will certainly act like big shots and idiots from time to time. KU fans aren't immune to this reality.

Purposive 4 years ago

Note to (Coach) Self: no more recruits named C.J.

Between CJ Miles (scorned us for NBA), CJ Giles (the only "boxing out" he ever did was with his girlfriend), and CJ Henry (scorned us for MLB, only to return years later as an underachieving crybaby), I think we've had enough CJs.

RockChalkGuy 4 years ago

Rush is in trouble, but it's not as bad as the once and former KU recruit Lance Stephenson. That guy is in for a world of hurt. I'm glad KU passed on that kid.

RockChalkGuy 4 years ago

Thanks for the hard work and sweat, CJ. Hope that Southern Nazarene works out for ya. Seriously, though, WTF?

jaybate 4 years ago

In which CJ checks out of basketball team and into 25 FGAs per game.

It will be interesting to see if he leads the nation in ppg this season.

There's a good chance that he will, so long as he does not take golden rule too literally. :-)

Dang!

I hate losing a potential 50% trifectate to DII.

A path may just have opened up for Conner Teahan's gun, if he could only recalibrate and find the range again.

jaybate 4 years ago

PS on CJ

Maybe So Naz will get X and CJ in a package deal yet. :-)

PPS on CJ

Any word on whether Mother Henry is transferring jobs back to red clay country?

PPPS on CJ

Is Carl going to take over as AD of the So Naz program?

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years ago

i'll bid on the ppps. there's a connection somewhere.

Michael Pannacciulli 4 years ago

hey, he was a hawk so give some love. the henry's brought drama, expectations, etc...didn't live up to the hype but weren't stains on the program, especially CJ. he's doing his thing, and i wish him luck.

actorman 4 years ago

"That being said, I'm not really gonna miss the guy. I've heard he was a 'cancer for team chemistry'."

It's funny, but I've head that you can't always trust rumors from random anonymous people on internet chat rooms.

As for the people wondering why the Yankees keep paying for CJ's tuition, etc., perhaps some of you may have heard of this strange thing called a contract ...

Mark Wooden 4 years ago

Bottom Line is Walk-Ons don't play major minutes at KU, especially when your 4-5 deep and recruiting more.

ChicagoJHawk 4 years ago

The team cancer thing is from the Jayhawk Slant. A friend of mine has a membership and told me it was from a very reliable source; might have actually been said by other players on the team. I'll ask him more about that. The information on their is pretty accurate and up to the minute, unlike kusports.com.

It doesn't make me a bad fan if I don't love and admire every single KU player. Do I have to look up to CJ Giles and JR Giddens too?? Not saying CJ Henry did anything like those guys, but I'm just sayin'...there were a couple other things that pissed me off about him.

Also, regarding us 'ungrateful/spoiled fans', we all have reason to be pissed off with KU Athletics. Starting with the fights between the basketball and football teams, Mark Mangino's b.s., the ticket scandal, Lew Perkins incident, + maybe one or two others I'm not thinking of.

I'm still a KU fan, always will be, but don't make it like some of us are spoiled or ungrateful while all this other stuff is going on.