Thursday, September 24, 2009

KU coach Self disappointed with feud

Kansas Coach Bill Self watches the final minutes tick away as the Red Raiders downed Kansas 85-64 Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at United Spirit Arena in Lubbock, Texas.

Videos

Altercation between KU athletes

video thumbnail

A fight between KU football and basketball players broke out Tuesday night, and was reignited Wednesday morning.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self, who was out recruiting Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, hustled back to Lawrence early Wednesday night and promptly called a team meeting.

Topic of discussion was NOT the start of Boot Camp conditioning next week, but a pair of incidents pitting some of his basketball players against some of KU’s football players.

“It’s not to just discuss this situation, but to put preventive measures in place to not let this happen again,” Self told the Journal-World.

He declined to reveal those measures.

He did, however, express displeasure with his squad for a pair of scraps with the football team. Tuesday night’s fight outside Burge Union resulted in sophomore Tyshawn Taylor dislocating his left thumb.

Taylor admitted on his Facebook page he threw a punch causing him to dislocate a finger. He also had some posts on the social networking site that would be considered crude.

“I’m disappointed in any of our guys that were involved regardless of fault,” Self said. “In Tyshawn’s case, I feel he was careless on Facebook, as he has been posting on Facebook different song lyrics almost daily which does not portray him in the light I feel he deserves to be portrayed.”

Taylor will wear a splint on his thumb for a week to 10 days, then should be able to resume ballhandling and shooting in two to three weeks, Self said.

“They think he’ll have full contact in the three-to-four week range,” Self said.

Self said he believed his players could and will co-exist with the football players.

“Of course I’m disappointed in our players with any involvement in this situation,” Self said. “We’ve always supported all the programs on campus. I feel some of our players’ better friends are football players. I’m not pointing fingers or fault. From my perspective, all parties are dead wrong. Being involved in a situation like this showed poor judgment with selfish motives. Allowing them to put personal feelings ahead of all else will not be tolerated by either program.

“Nobody was seriously injured. Obviously if a situation like this was escalated that might not be the case,” Self said.

As of Wednesday night, there were no arrests made or charges filed.

Self said he would “deal with the matter in house and hope we don’t have to have another discussion like this ever again.”

Asked if he’d suspend anybody, he said: “In a situation like this, there are a lot of versions to what transpired. I’d like to know the absolute truth. I’m not saying there won’t be (suspensions). At this point in time, I don’t have enough information to say that.”

KU’s basketball players were not made available for comment on Wednesday. KSHB-TV 41 managed to corral senior Mario Little in a parking lot outside Parrott Athletic Center.

“We embarrassed ourselves,” Little said of the hoops and football teams.

Comments

suttonku 10 years, 4 months ago

No, Mario, you guys embarrassed the university, the students, the fans, the staff, and the state!

kufanboy 10 years, 4 months ago

how's the view up there from your high horse Sutton?

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 4 months ago

I have no doubt Self will deal with those involved and they'll remember the error of their ways.

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 4 months ago

I, a lifelong Jayhawk fan, hereby state that I am not embarrassed by what has transpired. In fact, I don't care anymore. It is over for me. But I do hate hearing you holy bastards try to hang our own players for some minor scrap. Let it go.

lv_jhwk 10 years, 4 months ago

One fact I think all of us who call ourselves fans need to remember: NOBODY is as embarrassed/po'd about this as either Mangino or Self. Both have obviously put in an incredible amount of time and effort to build teams and programs that so many of us are proud to follow, not only for their successes in competition but their accomplishments away from it.

Because their investment is soooo much greater than ours, there is even more at stake here. For them, program reputation is personal, a reflection upon them as much as any individual player. To have such scrutiny as a result of these actions is undoubtedly felt more by those men than any of us.

In short, I trust that Mangino and Self will take the necessary action as they see fit for their programs. We may not see it (i.e. suspensions) or necessarily hear about it (i.e. boot camp), but rest assured that it will be taken care of. And as long as they walk away satisfied, who are we to say anything otherwise?

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 4 months ago

People can tell me to get off my high horse too, but sorry - the character of some of these guys is pathetic, and especially how they obviously could care less.

And now it seems like KU officials are just tolerating all this crap and attitude, and for what? Oh yeah... winning... kind of sounds like the corporate america mindset of 'as long as it contributes to making a profit, that is all that matters'.

It's amazing that no immediate discipline is being served... almost as amazing that an athlete on scholarship at KU didn't blink an eye at posting the things he did on his facebook page. But then again they are all 'winners', so why be bothered by all this, eh? Whatever...

gardenjay 10 years, 4 months ago

TT, HCMM, HCBS need to USE the spotlight to show us all a better way. That is the KU way, not the win-at-all-costs jock University that seems to be how things are portrayed at the moment. Chancellor? Where are you? Remind Lew this is really a University, not a cash machine for the AD.

That said, like KoolKeith, I am still a big fan of the football team, have to love those guys. When basketball rolls around, I'll love them again too. They will have to grow up more now, one would think.

stanfordstarter 10 years, 4 months ago

hey grumpy old man cough cough I mean Mangino Maniac I think it's time to change your diaper. These are 20 yr old kids things like this happen all the time. We're about a month away from a unbelievable season and we're talking about this? Get over it.

KY_Cats1 10 years, 4 months ago

If the KU coaches, players, administration, alumni, students, parents, and soapbox fans are disappointed about this incident, wait until March when the team gets bounced early from the NCAA tournament. Now be assured there will be some heavy Kleenex usage on that day in Lawrence.

This is just so sweet! The pretenders to the Cats’ rightful throne are imploding already and we haven’t even strung the nets up yet. It is going to be one incredible experience on championship Monday night in Indy when 25,000+ Cats fans celebrate banner number eight in Lucas Oil Stadium. I already have my tickets…how about you???

Go Big Blue!!!

UK Wildcats 2009-’10 NCAA Tourney Champs

klineisanazi 10 years, 4 months ago

No big deal? But Self flies back for a team meeting. I gotcha.

Ben Kane 10 years, 4 months ago

Well i'm definitely embarrased. I don't care if our players are thugs, just about everybody in the NBA is anyway so they will fit right in. However, they are reps of our university when they are on scholarship and should be forced to a higher standard during that time.

I'd like to see someone from the university turn this into a classy situation the way the Oregon football coach did by refunding money to an upset fan over their incident. I was blown away by that gesture and it be nice if the KU administration looked for an opportunity to turn this into a positive as well.

Ben Kane 10 years, 4 months ago

oh yea, just ignore them kentucky folk.... I live in KY and I can tell you the best way to deal with them is to ignore them and sit back and wait for their team to implode. Can't wait to go to their football game saturday and watch them get their brains beat out by florida.

jakzhumans 10 years, 4 months ago

Dear Kentucky Fans,

Your arena is named after a KU grad.

You're Welcome, KU Fans

Steve Brown 10 years, 4 months ago

perhaps the BB team, in total, should serve the football team the pre game meal...showcase solidarity.

Star guard SC had a verbal outrage..on wescoe steps ...really? ..where is senior leadership? so disappointing.

Perhaps the BB team should do push ups sat. after each score.....give the FB team a real incentive.

how many more incidents before we cancel late night. isn't it a preseason tribute ..how do we tribute a team that can't act civilized?

If the coaches really want to say I don't have enough facts to dish out more punishment or suspensions then perhaps they should encourage the student body to supply the staffs any and all incidents.

finally ... thought that KU had enough girls to go around ..

Joel Hood 10 years, 4 months ago

Yes, everyone who takes pride in their KU affiliation doesn’t like this negative attention. But remember, if this happened at Misery, no one would be surprised. If it happened at KSUck, no one would care. There are simply higher expectations at KU and things like this can easily be blown out of proportion.

There haven’t been any penalties handed out yet because the coaches are still sorting out exactly what happened and who deserves to be punished. Do any of you really believe that HCMM or HCBS will let this slide, given their past record on discipline??

KY_Cats – dude, don’t you have some pictures to take of those banners? That’s going to be the only way you can prove they ever existed after the NCAA forces you to abandon them. BTW – have you guys integrated your campus yet?

Hays_Hawk 10 years, 4 months ago

Lol KY_Cats1, what a sad little person. I honestly feel sorry for you!

Phoggie_Thinking 10 years, 4 months ago

I think we can pretty much conclude that T.T. will not be wearing the headband afterall.

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 4 months ago

stanfordstarter... you're completely right. As you said, we are 'about a month away from a unbelievable season', and that's all that matters. Let's not rock that boat by talking about the reality of all this fist throwing and racial slurs being spewed around on campus... it doesn't matter... let's just WIN!!!

Derek Conway 10 years, 4 months ago

There is a reason why Centucky fans are posting on our website instead of any other teams website, and we all know why that is. To all Centucky fans:

1. Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
  2. If it makes you feel better when you try and bash KU, then by all means keep doing it. If not, you should stop now because you're making yourselves look dumb.
  3. Centucky is the off-brand of Kansas.
  4. I hope, with every bone in my body, that you guys know what you are talking about, and your "team" is great this year. That way, good lord willing, it will come down to Kansas vs. Centucky for all the glory.
  5. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK

Tamaralaug 10 years, 4 months ago

I just wanted to say here that I hope that no one buys this stupid new t-shirt that Joe College is putting out. How anyone could want to make a buck off of this embarrassing moment for KU is beyond me. But I would hope that true KU fans would not walk around wearing it. I know that I will not and I will never buy another t-shirt from him again. Most of his shirts are funny but this one is in poor taste!

RockChalkGuy 10 years, 4 months ago

Here's a thought: We have a culmination of two nationally-ranked programs existing on the same campus. Granted this doesn't usually lead to bad blood at other schools, but lets face it, this is a relatively new situation for KU. I just think you've got a football team that is great, albeit slightly under-performing, and a basketball team that is running in the elite status and they can't wait to get their journey to the National Championship started. To use HCBS's term, they're all "geeked" up and the tensions have to release somewhere.

This is a non-story and doesn't require chopping of heads. The guys who are responsible will more than pay their debts on the practice field/court. Sure, I'm a little sick over the fact that it happened, but that doesn't mean people should lose their scholarship over a skirmish.

This should lead to the teams being a little tighter. It sounds to me like the BB players are sticking up for their teammates and so are the FB players. This means there's a strong bond among them and should lead to a strong team on the court/field.

Rock Chalk!

P.S.: Kuntucky: I wouldn't start the smack talk until you have something tangible to brag about.

P.P.S.: Has the chick responsible for all this been suspended yet?

JayDocMD 10 years, 4 months ago

scathing article by Luke Winn today on SI.com... this is going to take a while to live down. I'm still embarrassed.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 4 months ago

MMMMMMM.....interesting. No mention of the Henry brothers. Maybe all the posters who doubted their attitudes can relax a little more. Something tells me that Mom and Dad Henry have got those two guys on the straight and narrow.

Jory Collins 10 years, 4 months ago

Some of you guys are unbelievable. Was it stupid and immature? Of course it was, and embarrassing for the school. But, some fans seem to always forget these guys are 18,19, 20 year old kids. Many grew up in rough neighborhoods with a tough up bringing. For you to think because they come to "KANSAS" and are representing the university that they automatically become adults is rediculous. Maturing into an adult is a process, apparently Tyshawn, the Morris twins, and whoever on the football team aren't there yet.

Cut them some slack, it was a fight. Big deal! I'd much rather they settle it with fists than weapons.

TrueBlue92 10 years, 4 months ago

Yea, it was no big deal. This happens all the time. We should set up an octagon on wescoe for all these fights that happen all the time and donate the money to the scholarship fund which brings in all these good fighting history majors and engineering majors.

Because, you know, those Rhodes Scholar kids were brought to the university and given a free ride so the university can solicit donations. So give the Rhodes Scholar's a break, it's a competitive world being smart and they are just going to fight and then track each other down for more fights like gangs because, heck, that's just the way it goes.

jayhawk2062 10 years, 4 months ago

I think everybody needs to calm down about this. These guys are ages 18 or 19 to 21. This was over a girl that had dated a player from both teams. The actual players involved were very small, the other guys were just there to defend their teammates.

People make mistakes......it doesn't mean that they are bad kids because of it. Not everyone gets along at all times. I think it's good that they had an issue and now the coaches and administration are working with them to sort it out face to face.

Hopefully it doesn't affect the game on Saturday....at least Coach Mangino doesn't think it will.

Tamaralaug 10 years, 4 months ago

I hope that both coaches print the SI article, blow it up really big, and post it in their locker rooms so they have to see it every day. I have never read a more embarrassing article concerning KU. It is an embarrassment for all of Jayhawk nation. And the really funny thing is that Taylor is supposed to be a guest speaker at the Big Brothers/Big Sisters luncheon next week. Hmm, wonder if he still is!

TrueBlue92 10 years, 4 months ago

So, 2062, it's OK to fight over girls like they are a prize, sort of like getting a trophy after a MMA fight? Sort of like a Fight Club with Free Steak as the prize? Or is it OK because the players involved are "small" or "bit players"?

The fight itself says something dangerous about those involved, and to me it is not about the fight but about the fact of the fight. And it's a mental thing. It shows they treat other people as possessions not people and I think they need some important psychological help to grow up.

Beak 10 years, 4 months ago

TrueBlue92 10 years, 4 months ago

Lord please don't let all this be the lead in story on the FOX Broadcast of the football game this weekend. I just know this is going to lead every broadcast all through basketball season.

More awesome "not a big deal" stuff: http://pointplankn.com/

A sad, sad day for an athletic department on the cusp of having two highly successful, highly visible sports programs at the same time. No wonder it's so rare.

WisconsinJayhawk 10 years, 4 months ago

KY Cats, since you already have tickets for the FF, no need for me to by them. Yours will be available cheap well before that Monday night.

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 4 months ago

Alright... a couple individuals can't read sarcasm without hearing the tone of ones voice, so I'll repost my response to stanfordstarter from above...

You prove my point from before that all that matters to most is winning.

Whatever.

Joe Baker 10 years, 4 months ago

KY kitty cats need to worry about their own program. We didn't violate any NCAA rules in our athletic depts. This is an "in-house" issue, not an NCAA issues.

Why didn't TT go to a team doctor and this would not have gone from the absurd to the ridiculous?

Let's not get too zealous with all the pro-punishment ideas. We don't know all the facts. Also, if you start imposing punishment, who do you punish? There are too many he said, she said involved. We need to be careful about throwing down arbitrary punishment because we don't really know enough. Also, TT is injured! I think that is enough punishment. He will think twice before offering his assistance in any future issues. Also, Mangino and Self are doing their jobs. So let them work with the admin of the school. They will sort this out fairly. I'm not saying action shouldn't be taken, but let's be careful about blanket punishment because the wrong people will be punished and the guilty will go unscathed. All eye witnesses say "football players" and "b-ball players" plural. Good luck sorting out and imposing a fair decision. The coaches should run their butts off for a period of time and make them think twice before engaging in any questionable behaviors. Now, let's go play ball and have fun!!

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 4 months ago

Looks like Tyshawn won't be wearing a head band this year.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 4 months ago

"anyone who criticizes the team for embarassment here, should also criticize the fans on saturdays who yell "tear his bleeping head off." Sorry guys, but you cant have it both ways."

Yeah, because cursing is as bad as people physically fighting. Give me a break.

That being said, I do think these guys embarassed me as a KU grad. They embarassed everyone connected to the uinversity. We tout their accomplishments and follow everything the programs do, we certainly feel the shame that comes from them acting like morons. Seriously, who the hell cares what team gets the most girls? They all are treated like celebrities where ever they go and they have much easier lives than most students ever experience. Tyshawn's @$$ needs to be suspended not just for the punch, but for the sheer ignorance of going to his facebook page and actually gloating about it. Are you kidding? Is he in highschool? You guys are BASKETBALL and FOOTBALL players. You are not rappers that need to keep your "street cred" by getting into fights and acting like bad@sses. This is Lawrence freaking Kansas. I am beyond embarassed that guys I root so hard for behave like grade schoolers.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 4 months ago

Was there a fight? What happened? It must have not been something big! In two days this will all be forgotten.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 4 months ago

I just found out that John Calipari just vacated another Final 4? How sweet is that? That sucks for whomever hired him as a coach! In 3, 2, 1, we have another Final 4 vacated!

nobody1793 10 years, 4 months ago

A lot of us do.

Joe Baker 10 years, 4 months ago

Jaminrawk (anonymous) says... but for the sheer ignorance of going to his facebook page and actually gloating about it. Are you kidding? Is he in highschool?

I personally don't believe that was his facebook! I can create a facebook and be whomever I wish!!! This whole facebook thing has been taken way too much on "face value." I really don't think anyone would be stupid enough to fight, throw a punch, go to the hospital and then talk smack on facebook confessing to a stupid incident. Please, I don't think even TT is that stupid.

TexasJayhawk78 10 years, 4 months ago

It is over. Drop it. LJW, find something else to report. Maybe there is a kid down the street selling lemonade that charges a cent over the going rate.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 4 months ago

How about the alleged rape that took place in Oliver Hall this past week? That might be a worthy topic for both the paper and the police to pursue.!!!!

Kyle Neuer 10 years, 4 months ago

I suspect that there will be some extra barfing during "boot camp" this year. Run, little miscreants, run. Women are not worth this much trouble.

c_man_henry1 10 years, 4 months ago

not the time to fight among ourselves we should focus our attentions to the bowls and championship game

Lance Hobson 10 years, 4 months ago

How am I not surprised the JUCO transfer was involved?

RockChalk26 10 years, 4 months ago

black guys fighting over white girls, what's new?

Joe Baker 10 years, 4 months ago

It may be due to Self being out of town. You don't say a word until your Head Coach is back to assess the situation. If anyone opens their mouth, they're liable for another nasty story. They can't hardly go to the bathroom without someone following them to complain about how they relieve themselves.

I would keep my mouth shut too! Enough damage has been done at this point! I think the assistant coaches have done a great job at this point keeping them quiet and away from the media. The last thing you want is them on tv or radio blabbing and spewing more crap. They're are not dodging anything, keeping their mouths shut is exactly what Self probably told them to do until he gets back.

ObiWan 10 years, 4 months ago

I'm willing to bet that most of the folks on here, myself included, were in some sort of a scuffle when they were college-aged. We didn't get bashed in the newspapers by people that were supposed to support us. Things happen. You learn from it, and move on. Those guys will be laughing about this at their postseason banquet while they stare at the National Championship trophy.

Oh, and Rockchalk26, you're a scum bag. Go back to missouri and marry your sister you redneck p.o.s.!

Lance Hobson 10 years, 4 months ago

I don't remember this ever happening when Roy Williams was coach.

Dan Cook 10 years, 4 months ago

Roy's kids were too, oh, let's say "laid back" to fight.

Fire up another one.

Kent Wells 10 years, 4 months ago

Wait a second... Pierce managed to get stabbed. Giddens (a roy recruit) had some issues. What about Giles???

Dirk Medema 10 years, 4 months ago

lv_jhwk says - NOBODY is as embarrassed/po'd about this as either Mangino or Self.

There is one person more po'd than the coaches - their boss. Lew is the one that called the ALL-team meeting. While the coaches are not excited about lost recruiting or practice time, Lew is really ticked about messing w/ his multi-million $ baby, and his "we are a successful athletic program" mantra.

Tan Hong Woon 10 years, 4 months ago

The two teams should have a summer camp together, play some volleyball or captain ball, attend each other's game, have lunch together, build some friendships. Hey, all are Jayhawks, aren't you?