Originally published September 22, 2009 at 11:37p.m., updated September 23, 2009 at 01:00a.m.

Fracas sends KU guard Tyshawn Taylor to hospital

Source says Taylor hurt in skirmish with football players

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor gets glides past Texas A&M forward David Loubeau for a bucket during the first half Monday, Jan. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU's Taylor treated at hospital

KU's Tyshawn Taylor was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital after a reported incident outside the Burge Union on the KU campus. Taylor was treated and released Tuesday evening.

photo

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor charges up the court after a steal during the first half Friday, March 27, 2009 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

Kansas University sophomore basketball guard Tyshawn Taylor was involved — and injured — in an incident that broke out in front of Burge Union on the KU campus shortly after 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, a source confirmed Tuesday night.

A nursing supervisor confirmed that Taylor was treated and released Tuesday night at Lawrence Memorial Hospital.

A source close to the situation said Taylor suffered a dislocated left thumb and would be out of action three to four weeks. The basketball season begins with the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog.

A source said several people witnessed a skirmish between members of the KU football team and basketball team. The identities of the other players involved were not known as of Tuesday night.

It is believed no players except Taylor sustained injuries that would require any missed playing time.

KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony was asked about the matter on Tuesday night.

“We’re aware of reports of an incident, and we are gathering facts as we speak,” Marchiony said.

KU coach Bill Self was on a recruiting trip and unavailable for comment.

Police were called to Jayhawker Towers about 10:25 p.m. Tuesday to disperse a crowd of about 20 individuals gathering in the parking lot of the Towers. The Journal-World police scanner indicated it was in response to the incident that happened earlier in the day.

“I don’t know much. All I know is a fight happened (in front of union),” a KU student said before entering a Towers apartment.

A source said one group of players was entering the union as another group of players was exiting, arguing ensued, and punches were thrown. Police had no comment on the matter Tuesday night.

As of Tuesday night, KU public safety officials had not returned calls for comment.

— Joe Preiner, Tom Keegan and Gary Bedore contributed to this report.

Comments

Jake Powell 5 years, 2 months ago

What the hell is going on here?? Is the Burge Union the new Madison Square Garden??

Last year it was Sherron Collins vs. Jocques Crawford at the same venue.

C'mon guys! We're all on the same team here!

Joe Ross 5 years, 2 months ago

Please say it aint so!

A skirmish between the football and basketball team? Mangino and Self will definitely get heads together. Tyshawn hurt? Whats his prognosis? What disciplinary action is going to be taken? Suspensions? I hope we havent shot ourselves in the feet.

Jayhawk_Jerry 5 years, 2 months ago

Seriously, why are we fighting each ourselves. Isn't that what we have MU for?

Jeff Worthington 5 years, 2 months ago

So friggin stupid. Great way to distract two teams that appear to have great seasons ahead of them.

Kent Wells 5 years, 2 months ago

WTF! This has the potential of being very embarassing. Oh my...

Well, looks like comment no. 1,000,000 will get posted here pretty soon now. Damn.

KU15 5 years, 2 months ago

Jack Morgan 5 years, 2 months ago

Can't get over the feeling that Tyshawn is going to be trouble ... Just guessing (I know, I know ...not a good idea! ) that he has been acting like he's the BMOC while the football team is in the midst of their glory run, and has pi**ed the big guys off. I hope that I am wrong, but he just comes off like a hot dog ... KU doesn't need that kind of behavior, if its true. Maybe he'll get the message from this incident ... Hopefully !

Chris Shaw 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow! I guess CJ has his playing spot now!

Chris Shaw 5 years, 2 months ago

How come all the hate on Tyshawn after this incident has been reported? Is there something behind the scenes about the overall character of Tyshawn? There are already 3 posts that are leading to that conclusion. I am a little confused since I've never heard or seen anything remotely related to negativity towards or about Tyshawn.

KU15 5 years, 2 months ago

sdoyel 5 years, 2 months ago

Kent Wells 5 years, 2 months ago

Chris Shaw 5 years, 2 months ago

kuwells: I am not getting all the little hidden comments or acronym! LOL!

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

All--

I just took down several post referencing specific individuals who may or may not have been involved in the incident tonight. Give this 12 hours and let's see who the police report says was there.

No sense hurting someone's reputation when they may not have even been involved in the altercation. It seems to me that would be the right thing to do for the guys who play on your favorite college football and basketball teams.

Jonathan Kealing Online editor Lawrence Journal-World / 6News

Chris Shaw 5 years, 2 months ago

Because all of these comments are getting removed, I just want everyone to know I was the 997,550th post! Yeah me!

Kent Wells 5 years, 2 months ago

Chris Shaw 5 years, 2 months ago

Great point johnathan! Nobody removed my posts!

canuckhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Looks like all those condescending comments that so often show up from over-enthusiastic football supporters to chide anyone who would dare to write or read a basketball article in the off season (there is actually no such thing as an off season) have finally lead to fighting in the streets. We should have seen it coming.

Kent Wells 5 years, 2 months ago

Jonathan... You got another one to delete... Sorry, I thought the foul was the a** thing. Not the name thing... That name thing got me going a little. Looks like you have your hands full tonight... I just suggested removal for myself. Have a nice evening.

sdoyel 5 years, 2 months ago

Well, at least we now know the police were involved. Spill the beans Kealing.

100 5 years, 2 months ago

Jonathon is exactly right.

As far as we know there's a plant on campus stirring things up like a couple big 8 schools did to each other a couple decades back (remember the big fight between the Iowa State teams that they found out was later caused by a Nebraska student who was paid her sorority to be on campus?)

Heck as far as we know Tyshawn was just walking to class & was hit in the back of the head by a rock thrown from behind a purple bush where a group of footballers were convieniently walking...

Let's wait until we know more...

Chris Shaw 5 years, 2 months ago

good grief! This is not the kind of National press you want going into the season! Yikes!

SoCalRick 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this could have had something to do with a girl.

mjlindsm 5 years, 2 months ago

Would it be kosher to spread rumors that it was JT Tiller and Denis Clemente, disguised in KU Football uniforms, who jumped him and beat the tar out of him? I'd be all for that.

sdoyel 5 years, 2 months ago

I think you commented to pimp your website.

FTUCH3432 5 years, 2 months ago

Tyshawn says he has a dislocated finger from throwing a punch...

MinnesotaJay 5 years, 2 months ago

What the h*ll could this have been about? Something tells me that there isn't a whole lot of room for positive spin in this one.

If it could only have been the golf team getting it on with the debate team. Now, that would have been understandable!

KUKRU 5 years, 2 months ago

This is nothing new, same thing happened last year at the Hawk between Some football players and the twins. To bad Tyshawns face had to get in the way!

Kent Wells 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey, when the statement is made: "let's see who the police report says was there." It just cant be good...

I think this will prove Brendan Behan wrong ("There is no such thing as bad publicity").

I am really curious how this will be played off on SportsCenter...

If it involved the golf team, someone would have had a putter pulled out of their tail end tonight!

100 5 years, 2 months ago

The report says "members of"...

This could be two red shirted footballers & Tyshawn -- that's enough to make it plural.

By the way guys, unless you've been trained, never throw a punch -- it's a good way to break your knuckles.

If you really want to punch something, punch a bag -- it's much cheaper than the doctor bills.

gardenjay 5 years, 2 months ago

This is sad. Best of luck to both teams for sorting this one out.

I doubt this was caused by 'sport-hate' as may have been suggested by one poster, but if it is, I just want it out there that I am a B-ball fan too (after F-ball is over).

yovoy 5 years, 2 months ago

never heard about tt being a hotdog. i've heard he's a "character guy"... which makes him instantly suspect in my eyes. that said, i don't really care what the report says. i wasn't there, so i really don't know what happened. sure it makes us look sort of bad, but i really don't care. kids will fight sometimes. grown ups will fight sometimes. people will fight over stupid things all the time. it's only a big deal when there's a big budget involved (such as it is here, and all).

sheesh.

frisbeenation 5 years, 2 months ago

kuwells I'm doubting Sportscenter picks up on this anytime soon unless TyTay gets booted.

KUwins_again 5 years, 2 months ago

this kind of thing really doesnt need to happen, there are to many stories already that should be coming from these teams. I would check some of these guys facebook though. deffinantly not being quite about it

jayhawkintx73 5 years, 2 months ago

These kids have to grow up. They represent the University and Kansas. There is no reason that they should be arguing with each other. Save the energy for the opponents. Not for the home team!

tstanlick1909 5 years, 2 months ago

A disgrace. The last thing I want our players to be considered as are hood rats.

gardenjay 5 years, 2 months ago

This incident may be linked to inflammation by Facebook.

Eliott Reeder 5 years, 2 months ago

ATTN: Jonathan Kealing.

It is absurd to censor the comments under these articles of anything but inappropriate profanity or racist commentary. You guys pull the trigger way too quickly at times. I have had comments removed on two occasions. Once, a long time ago, after referring to new editor Tom Keegan as 'an idiot' (par for the course these days). And the second time, after pointing out the irony that the Celtics would soon have two ex-KU players who had been stabbed outside of clubs on their roster when they drafted Giddens. Neither of those comments were in any way profane. Just as I assume few of the above comments were inflammatory. There is nothing incendiary about wondering which players the fight may have involved. I find it hypocritical that the Journal World rushes to publish inadequate reports of the incident to this site with few facts of its own, but has the gall to chastise its readership for speculating.

unomemrg 5 years, 2 months ago

i heard that it was about TT gettin with a football players ex, and the football player didnt like it, but that is just what i heard.....

Robin Smith 5 years, 2 months ago

This has nothing to do with character.

Everybody messes up, does something they regret, has a lapse in judgement, or gets into a bad situation with no good solution.

Even a long string of unbecoming incidents would not be enough to truly indict someone's character, so let's not be so presumptuous as to think we know what we don't (Socrates would make fools of us if we did).

murph 5 years, 2 months ago

Jonathan - I think you're right on. I have no idea what the posts were, of course, but some of the stuff people put up online is beyond ghastly. From your post, I'm guessing that some of the nitwits are accusing players by name of various things. I think if anything MORE cleaning could happen on the boards.

The St. Louis Post Dispatch has a phrase in the instructions for their posters I think is great: "Don't say anything you wouldn't want your mother to read." Perfect! Thinking that way does the job for me!

n8spl8 5 years, 2 months ago

i just want them to love macaroni and cheese.

mandomax 5 years, 2 months ago

This is ridiculous. Testosterone can really mess with your common sense I guess.

Robert Brock 5 years, 2 months ago

This will help to solve the "Who Starts - Taylor or Morningstar - Controversy."

Ben Kane 5 years, 2 months ago

Obviosly we are all dissapointed to some degree about this incident but we all need to calm down a bit. Facts, people, circumstances all aren't known. I'm sure that HCBS and HCMM will take appropriate action and we should trust in their ability to handle this issue.

Every man i've ever met either has been in a fight or is at least capapble of being provoked into one. This is just a fact of life. If Taylor hadn't had to to go to the hospital i'm sure we never would have heard about this. Odds are this was about a woman and I think we all know how that story goes.

My biggest quetion mark here is why the others who were present didn't have the common sense to stop it from happening.

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 2 months ago

"The LJW police scanner indcated....."

Was the scanner monitoring LPD or the campus police?

Someone had to have called LPD for them to repond, if that was the case. Why wouldn't that person be willing to come forward with the details?

Three writers contributed to this story. Seems like a lot of contributions to result in such ambiguousity.I think somebody there knows what went on but is squelching details until the Athletic Dept.scrubs it and spins it.

Frankenhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

sounds to me like the basektball team is having a hard time sharing the spotlight....and maybe the football team is telling them about it too much. basketballl guys....deal with it, football season is big time money and it was only a matter of time before KU put all its effort toward getting that ball rolling....football guys.....without our basketball program we probably wouldnt have had any leverage to get the football program rolling....and yea....we are all jayhawks here, c'mon.

FairgroveJayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Man, how disappointing. I suppose I expect flowers and rainbows when it comes to relations between teams at KU. I suppose I expect every player to represent the university as an experienced diplomat and avoid altercations. ...."you lie" .... Bummer. Young people in high profile situations that make mistakes as any other young people have done. Still it's disappointing.

I don't want to speculate as to what it was over but I sure hope it didn't have to do with a dispute over which team is better. That would be completely moronic.

FairgroveJayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

They need to quit those damn thumb wrestling tournaments at the union.

but seriously... disappointing

oldalum 5 years, 2 months ago

And yet if it had been a tussle between two students from the engineering school we would never have heard about it. Kids are kids, some just more well-known than others. I doubt that it had anything to do with basketball vs football. Speculation is useless and damaging because too many readers automatically accept that speculation as fact.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 2 months ago

I love all the speculation here. Most people seem convinced that this is about a girl, and then there's those who think that it's just general dislike between football players and basketball players.

It could be that there are two groups of guys who don't like eachother very much. A group of 4 or 5 football players and a group of 4 or 5 basketball players who just harbor animosity over something as simple as a hateful glance or a bump in the towers or something.

Whatever it is the important thing is that nobody was seriously hurt. There are no fractured skulls or anything like that.

It sounds like Tyshawn might have a suspension to look forward to. I wonder if it will start before or after boot camp. Or maye he'll have his own special boot camp.

Jonathan Allison 5 years, 2 months ago

just read keegan's opinion piece... apparently there may be more merit to the "about a girl" theory than I gave credit.

jayhawkinnc 5 years, 2 months ago

WTF?! What a mess for all involved...especially for Mangino and Self to deal with. Hey Tyshawn, if you're going to be out 3-4 weeks....at least you might get out of boot camp!

Jonathan Andrews 5 years, 2 months ago

The most popular comment regarding this article is:

"This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement."

I'm not going to dole out blame as if I know what happened. There may have been a million mitigating circumstances that led to this skirmish, which we may never know. Seriously, though, I just have one question for Tyshawn: was it worth it? You were penciled in as a starter on a team that has the potential to be one of the greatest in the history of college basketball. Now, you're going to be behind the curve in training camp, against WELL-qualified guys that are healthier and hungrier for your spot.

With the extraordinary caliber of depth, and the amount of time it will take for Tyshawn to get back to 100%, we may see a kid go from starting, to out of the rotation altogether. it could be his team next year, but he's just set himself back.

My NEW projected 1st-game rotation:

Collins, Morningstar, Henry, Mc. Morris, Aldrich Henry, Reed, Releford, Little, Mk. Morris Johnson, Taylor, Teahen, Robinson, Withey

I think CJ will play his tail off to win the starting SG spot, but unless he can outdefend Brady (unlikely), Morningstar's skill set is a better balance with what we already have in place with the starters.

rawkhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

not a good way to start the morning. it will be good to know more facts...

kuhawk07 5 years, 2 months ago

I guess this is what it feels like to be a mizzou fan

Aimee Polson 5 years, 2 months ago

Why is "Former Liberian leader sent to war-crimes tribunal March 30, 2006" a story that is like this?

chicagoeddie 5 years, 2 months ago

man out of allpeople... we fight each other instead of cheering each other on for a good season... i hope mangino and self can squash this out

Steve Brown 5 years, 2 months ago

Sampson had his Delilah....the girl needs a transfer..... the boys need to behave like gentlemen & attend some team building boot camp.

Our football coach had saying, " cars or girls ruin an athlete.." this was decades ago yet made the point...you had focus on your mission or were distracted... your choice.

I have every confidence the coaches will sort this out and consequences of immature actions will be the result.... New Mexico will still take our transfers in both sports I trust.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 2 months ago

This is crazy. I guess we'll all know who was involved soon enough when players are suspended for breaking 'unspecified team rules".

Bill Kackley 5 years, 2 months ago

Redcoalcarpet, if it was your kid that got in the fight do you think he should be kicked out of school?

100 5 years, 2 months ago

LJW: next time please be careful of how you title a story. The news today clearly indicates this was a skirmish (as in two quick punches) and this involved two people: one from the basketball team, one from the football team.

We as fans support both teams & would like an interview with the girl who started this (where is she from, why is she on campus, when is she leaving etc?)

That's the story. When titles are sensationalized (especially this type of title), it gives a chance for posters to go crazy.

This was an unfortunate incident, but it was what it was -- a skirmish between two people.

Also, perhaps it's time for posting to have a link under the story?

Jim Sanders 5 years, 2 months ago

Jack Harry will be all over this on the KC News tonight making stuff up again. He loves trouble at KU and loves to make stuff up. Look out.

InfiniteJ 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm as big of a fan of Taylor as anyone, I think he has a key role on the team if KU is going winning another championship this year, that being said......I think Coach Self should kick him off the team, especially if he was the one to start the fight.

KUbsee69 5 years, 2 months ago

I doubt we'll see any disciplinary actions. It was in front of the Union, not a bar. No weapons apparently were deployed and probably no alcohol involvement. What "team rule" could have been violated? We've all seen punches thrown during actual games. While that doesn't make most coaches happy, rarely, if ever, have I seen a player punished for that.

As far as a dislocated thumb, it won't interfere with boot camp, which is all about conditioning, and not about B-ball. You don't need a thumb to run sprints.

If there are any of you that have not been in a fight, then you must be in a sorority. Then, again, many sorority members probably have been in a tussle or two.

Bottomline: CHILL!

TwinCitiesJHawk 5 years, 2 months ago

ESPN now has an article on it, where coach Self is quoted on the situation.

JRhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Learn to throw a punch and you won't make the news.

amw8716 5 years, 2 months ago

Complete idiots. That is why we as fans should not worship these people. Get in, win games, make me feel good as a Kansas fan by winning, stay out of trouble, get education then move on. That is the prescription for student-athletes.

Christopher Hauser 5 years, 2 months ago

To everyone who is saying this is a disgrace, is it because these were "high profile" kids or because they got into a fight? Just FYI people get into fights sometimes, right or wrong (mostly wrong). Should these kids have used better judgement, absolutely. On a college campus there are going to be disagreements that lead to fights regardless of the profile of the person. If you are going to bash TT and whoever else was involved in this incident then you better bash me as well because I have been guilty of the same thing in the past and many of you on this site probabaly have as well.

Ben Kane 5 years, 2 months ago

the ESPN article says it was a basketball player's ex and football players current gf. This must mean that Taylor threw the first person. I don't know what all the team rules are but my guess is there will be a statement type punishment for this.

KANSTUCKY 5 years, 2 months ago

Kick him off the team? You are out of your mind. You can't destroy a kids life over a little skirmish. The football player was surely hitting him in the hand with his face. Self defense. (no pun intended) Hopefully, this is just a disagreement and will blow over with some reasonable discipline. Boot camp required. They should have duelled it out with airsoft pistols.

TheShot122293 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree that this is stupid and a little bit embarrassing for the school, but it's a scuffle between young men that didn't escalate into something worse. If this had happened at Mizzou, everyone would be dead. At KSU, they would have become so confused in the skirmish that they would have started punching themselves. I agree with the we-need-to-chill crowd, especially regarding the sweeping passing of life-changing judgments.

Like kicking them off the team or out of school. I don't know who will win the millionth post contest, but this one wins the stupid award out of the first million.

That being said, someone needs to tell Tyshawn that the thumb goes on the OUTSIDE of the fist when throwing a punch. Now THAT would be embarrassing to the program.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 2 months ago

Too funny, azhawk. Evidently, Fracas is a type of girlie-punch that exposes one's thumb to injury. Fracas could also be the name of a parking lot attendant who has the authority to order young adults to go to a local medical facility.

DrPepper 5 years, 2 months ago

The sad part is that it is at the top of the ESPN basketball headlines. Right where Harrison Barnes's mother and all his suitors can see it and use/interpret as they please. And that is why it matters.

bewareofthephog 5 years, 2 months ago

Things aren't looking better. Sherron and the Morris Twins just pushed over some football player on campus, and he fell over and they kicked his backpack and left. The football player was on the phone and a whole bunch of them showed up outside of Strong. Damn this is not looking good.

Jason Spangler 5 years, 2 months ago

Hahahahaha, this is crazy. Love the fire!

jcrawf3 5 years, 2 months ago

This is to rokchok. Jocques Crawford and Sherron are good friends. Joc has never been in a arguement it dispute with any person . Especially teammates and basketball players.. Futher most you can't blame this one on mr. Crawford. So what will mangino do. Hmmmm blame another jr. College player. I'm sure he will.....and in the previous accident with the footbal team and basketball team Crawford got introuble for breakin up the fight.

TrueBlue92 5 years, 2 months ago

Since when is there a Football Gang and a Basketball Gang in Lawrence? I'm listening to Sports Radio in Tampa, FLA today and they are mentioning this every hour in their headline news segment. Scratch KU off some recruit lists this morning -- plenty of parents will steer them away or at least grill the HCs IF and I mean IF they can still get a visit.

On the brink of having so much, and so few throw it away over hormones. Lew, it is up to you to set a policy and publicize it's enforcement at the right level. If this continues it's your empire going back down to mediocrity.

BTW, what exactly was fighting about it going to prove? Do our athletes think women are posessions to be fought for???? Her choice is her choice, and it sounds like she'd be better off just avoiding these gangs/circles altogether.

SoCalAlum 5 years, 2 months ago

The bad news of course is TT's injury - not good timing given the competition for PT. The good news as I see it is twofold: (1) What an opportunity for a team-bonding experience - talk about "got your back!" and (2) jeezuz - this was about a girl! Won't this at least get some sympathetic side-line interviews, say from Erin Andrews?

TrueBlue92 5 years, 2 months ago

Whoo-hoo!! Google has picked up this tidbit -- good luck HCBS!!!

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 2 months ago

TrueBlue92, This story will pass with time and TT will heal. This will NOT hurt any recruiting efforts. First of all, the HC's will explain that "things happen" and this unfortunate situation was handled in an appropriate manner. Second, this event does NOT involve our HC's like other stories this summer with a certain restaurant rendezvous or vacating Final Four appearances. If any coaches need to be nervous, it's those 2 weasels in the state of Kentucky. Time heals all. There is no need to be worried.

TrueBlue92 5 years, 2 months ago

Phoggin, time will tell more than time will heal (as it appears from the reporting that this is a regular thing in Lawrence).

DooK Coach to the Mother of an excellent recruit: "We don't have any 320 pound players on our football team so your son will be safe in Durham. In fact, our athletes are so mature, we all eat at the same training table. Now, isn't that what you want for your son? In fact, the football team and basketball team back each other up. I would ask Bill Self about that when he visits. I sure wouldn't want my son to risk being hurt when he's far from home . . and what if there are long term problems from the injury? Better to be safe, don't you agree?"

And if you don't think that's happening for the next 12 months, put your head back in the sand.

Brady Swenson 5 years, 2 months ago

idiot morons... hope mangino and self ream their a$$es

100 5 years, 2 months ago

LJW -- please control your boards.

This was a simple skirmish between two people.

End of story.

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 2 months ago

TrueBlue, Mother of excellent athlete to Dook coach: I don't care about training table etiquette, when are you going to challenge Ol' Roy for an ACC title? NCAA Title? Mother of excellent athlete to UK coach: Why have both of your Final Four appearances been vacated? Mother of excellent recruit to Louisville coach: Why did you cheat on your wife in that restaurant? Mother of excellent recruit to Coach Self: Should I be worried about my son's safety? Coach Self: No Ma'am. We had an isolated incident, but it was handled correclty. Your son will be safe while winning numerous Big IX titles and a couple of NCAA titles. Like I said, Time heals all.

InfiniteJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Ron_Kellogg 5 years, 2 months ago

Coach Mangino, please stop recruiting thugs. As much as we have enjoyed the football team's recent success, it is not worth jeopardizing the success of the basketball team. This is a basketball school after all.

InfiniteJ 5 years, 2 months ago

Sounds to me, from the little we know, Taylor was the one being a "thug".

Jonathan Kealing 5 years, 2 months ago

We have an update on Tuesday nights incidents posted, as well as information on a Wednesday incident, over here:

Jonathan Kealing Online editor

100 5 years, 2 months ago

LJW -- Please get an interview with the woman. Who is she? Why is she on campus? When is she leaving?

That's all I ask.

President Obama -- Please make a law that disallows the use of Twitter by any respectable human residing within the United States of America.

bigblackjeff 5 years, 2 months ago

Let me get this straight you guys are basketball and football players, and your fighting with each other, huh, what, who me, I'm stupid. Get a grip gurls your not at MU. If this is over as gurl you have a problem I've lived in lawrence and I still go up there when I can. There are alot of gurls up there and I mean alot of good looking ones. You guys are living a dream some of us wish we could.

100 5 years, 2 months ago

Where was this woman born?

Who are her parents?

Where did they grow up?

Where did they go to high school?

Did they graduate?

Where did they go to college?

Did they graduate?

Did they meet in college?

What college did they meet at?

Why did they send their daughter to Lawrence?

Is this girl a student at KU or a transfer?

What are her favorite movies?

Is she a cook? If so what does she like to cook?

If not, where does she like to eat out?

Does she collect rocks? If so what are her favorite rocks?

Has she taken Geology at KU yet?

If so what was her grade?

While we're at it, what's her GPA at KU so far?

WHO IS THIS WOMAN THAT IS MESSING WITH ONE OF THE DRIBBLING HANDS OF OUR BASKETBALL TEAM?

phi4life940 5 years, 2 months ago

This sucks! This would be sooooooo much better if it was Tyshawn and some Mizzou players............ I just don't understand this.

100 5 years, 2 months ago

KU football players & basketball players -- we support you all.

A quick tip on life -- the guy who throws the punch is always the loser. All of us at some point in life have been a loser at least once. And then we learn -- we're guys, it's what we do.

It's time to grow up & become brothers -- women are never (and I mean never) worth fighting over. Be happy to be single for now & prepare for the next stage of life -- that NFL & NBA money will come in very handy someday when that lady waiting for you outside of the lockerroom after the game is wanting to go to Hawaii for the weekend, then wants a dinner at a fancy restaraunt (every night be cause she can't cook), then wants a diamond ring (because she failed Geology in college & thinks the rock was made in a shop), and finally, wants a huge house & the kids start coming.

Now is the time to laugh with your friends & work hard.

A true man makes up & moves on -- forget the woman -- this one is absolute trouble.

I don't care if she looks like an Angel...

R

I

E

N

D

S

Tony Bandle 5 years, 2 months ago

....not bad but Jaybate would have had a paragraph starting with each letter following......Oh My God, what have I just done!!! :}

Ben Kane 5 years, 2 months ago

This is gonna mess up a lot of peoples' comment predictions

jayhawkintexas 5 years, 2 months ago

May be time for Drew Gooden and the other KU pros to come back to campus again and have a "discussion" with the current players. It seemed to work back when Giddens was injured. It wouldn't hurt for some of the former KU players who are no longer in the NFL to come back and have a "discussion" with the current football players also.

Tony Bandle 5 years, 2 months ago

Since his thunb doesn't effect his legs, something tells me that TT's Boot Camp will be "extra" special this year.

Can any of us imagine how p####d HCMM, HCBS and LEWP are at this moment!!??? Can you imagine facing any of them at this time. It would be like choosing between Godzilla, King Kong and the Stay-Puff Marshmellow Man!!

This won't go away quietly and it's gonna hurt for a long, long time!!

Oakville,

Is it just me or is the guts of the story being completely avoided by the press?

Q:How did this start? A: a woman Q: was she worth it? A: No. I don't like her anymore, she's mean & not loyal. Q: any ideas how you can get things back the way they were? A: yes. Break up with her. Apologize to the other guy. Apologize to my teammates. Run some sprints. Go to school. Call my mom.

James Miller 5 years, 2 months ago

This will blow over quickly. Fighting happens among young men. Who hasn't gotten into a fight? If you say, "I've never been a fight," then you need to turn in your man card. This will not hurt recruiting, and as long as early prognosis is correct, it will not hurt our season. The two coaches will come together and squash this situation. TT is not a thug, he is a good young man who is still learning who is. He will be okay. Although... I agree that he needs to learn to throw a punch if he hurt his thumb. That is terrible technique. We still will win a NC, so who cares about a little scuffle over a girl...allegedly. Stay focused. Rock Chalk

nettiepie 5 years, 2 months ago

Good Lord. Testosterone poisioning I tell you. Save your energy for the field/court boys.

kugrad93 5 years, 2 months ago

No, it won't blow over quickly. It's already national news, which means it could hurt recruiting. The Morris twins already have been in trouble for shooting a woman with a BB gun. Now they're throwing people down stairs. This is not kids being kids. There are 19- or 20-year-old men acting like thugs. Briscoe also should know better than to be involved with something like this after being suspended for spring ball.

100 5 years, 2 months ago

This will blow over quickly because it's about a woman -- this is a lesson we all learn once in life. All the male writers at ESPN & the LJW -- in some way shape or form have suffered this Shakespearian fall, even if only in Kindergarten -- we all have.

Now it's time to grow up.

Apologize to your teammates & get away from her -- she's trouble.

Michael Leiker 5 years, 2 months ago

Has there been reporting on this before today? Keegan's article make it sounds like this has been going on, but I don't remember seeing anything about it on this site before.

Brett Glover 5 years, 2 months ago

Here is a video of the basketball players getting into a van after the fight. and pictures right outside of the underground when the fight ended. You're all welcome haha

MemphisMachine 5 years, 2 months ago

Self goes out looking for talent and this happens....feathers fly, oh my...not good.

Keckadek 5 years, 2 months ago

I believe Coache's Self and Mangino will do the right thing here. If that means kicking players off the team then so be it. I hope it's not that serious. Tyshawn... you're one of my favorites.

Brandon Snook 5 years, 2 months ago

BOTH teams should meet TOGETHER with BOTH coaches and iron out this BS. No reason for any of this.

KU_Jayhawk_6 5 years, 2 months ago

bdsnook - that is happening as we speak with LP.

TrueBlue92 5 years, 2 months ago

Yea, this will just blow over, nobody will know:

From Google two minutes ago: Results 1 - 10 of about 12,600,000 for "kansas university fight"

Phoggin_Loud 5 years, 2 months ago

TrueBlue92, Nice try. Your Google search is a farce.
Most of the results are for Kansas University Fight Song. Go back to your Kentucky boards.

bergyju 5 years, 2 months ago

I really don't care why and how this started! The point is they are playing for the same school and representing our school! They need to stick together no matter what, grow up, and focus on the field and court cause all us fans want is to see 100% performance and two huge trophies! Come on guys pull it together and GET OVER IT! GROW UP AND FOCUS ON THE IMPORTANT STUFF! YOU ARE MAKING US LOOK LIKE A GANGSTA SCHOOL AND US FANS ARE SICK OF IT! Oh doesn't KState love this not to mention many, many other schools that would love to have what we have!!! I hope I hear Mangino and Self stick it to the ones that are having issues!! Bring on the punishment be? Make it tough since they seem to be feeling tough!

pburgstu 5 years, 2 months ago

War Pittsburg St. (AKA the ones who decide not to leave because of the Coach) Coming into Allen Field house and Pullin of the upset

How many comments would that bring

TrueBlue92 5 years, 2 months ago

Phoggin,

You're right: Results 1 - 10 of about 2,900,000 for "kansas university fight players"

That is SOOOOO much better and you win!

danno1313 5 years, 2 months ago

Time to clean house Mr Perkins. If it costs us wins, then it does. Whoever is involved needs to be dealt with. A few game suspension against nobody teams won't get it done. We re not Mizzou, (STATE PENN) we' re KU.

Ron_Kellogg 5 years, 2 months ago

Who is this Helen of Troy in our midst?

Tyler Daniels 5 years, 2 months ago

This is ridiculous! This is all over a stupid girl too! I hope Mangino and Self make the players involved run until they puke, then see how much energy they have to fight

Chris Shaw 5 years, 2 months ago

Too bad that can't settle it at UFC 104 in the cage!

GabrielMichael 5 years, 2 months ago

This is very disappointing. I guess it shows how little regard they have for the physical gifts they've been given, the scholarships they've been given or the honor of playing at a great school.... let alone the team championships that are on the line and within grasp.

What about their teammates? It's putting yourself ahead of your team when you think you've got a "rep" and you been "disrespected" and you chuck it all in one impulsive moment.

Coaches, please run these snot-nosed babies into maturity or kick them off the team... it'll be better for them and us in the long-run!

Chris Shaw 5 years, 2 months ago

I am sure Dana White would sign them, but then their amature status may be eliminated.

suttonku 5 years, 2 months ago

truebluedouche...why does it matter how many google results show up? who cares?

Nothing is going to happen, our teams (football and basketball) are still better than UK, and KU basketball will still be #1 when the season starts.

MemphisMachine 5 years, 2 months ago

I'd like to see a Mizzou vs. KU fight myself, that would be hilarious. Maybe thats what those dudes were preparing for.

lance1jhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully Tyshawn will be all right.... but the dude really needs to learn how to throw a punch. What a wuss.

Matt1958 5 years, 2 months ago

Great recruiting tool guys. Maybe Self and Mangino should each kick the most involved player off the team and take their scholarship. Is this the kind of crap we want parents asking about at in home visits?

Lone_salina_kufan 5 years, 2 months ago

Would somebody please clear something up for me?

I heard on the radio that this has been going on for over a year, and that there has been several other altercations. Is that true?

If it is, this is not over a woman, and this is not "boys will be boys", which is a stupid saying to excuse stupid behavior. Once, maybe just kids making mistakes. 5 times?? Thats thuggery.

This is very disappointing.

Also, if this has been going on for this long, then the university and coaches also bare some responsibility. This will not be a popular opinion, but clearly whatever discipline was dealt out before was not near enough. To have this happen in broad daylight, and then 30 minutes after LEW MAKES A STATEMENT???? Are you freaking kidding me?? The coaches and university had a chance to nip it early and quietly, but it didnt work. Now they all suffer. Sad

Disgusting...

BOAKESB 5 years, 2 months ago

LOL...Any chances Coach Self was going to let young Taylor wear his headband sometime this season have been dashed. Great example to set for the Henry's & the rest of the freshmen student athletes. Gotta love seeing this story scroll past on ESPN's ticker...

MakoHawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Hey...Guess what People. This is NormaL. I'm not condoning it but, Nearly every school has tension between the football and basketball teams. When your're that age it's all a pissin contest. It's just too bad that they are both such high profile programs. Definitely not anything to get ur panties in a bunch about.

Benjamin Piehler 5 years, 2 months ago

we are getting killed on espn's message boards; if you are curious how the rest of the country sees this.

Hawkinator --

The rest of the country is probably eating dinner with their grandkids and going to sleep.

Considering the oddity of it all, Mangino & Perkins handled this well.

The people going crazy on the ESPN message boards are a bunch of people who don't have anything better to do -- this is essentially a high school story -- they're just laughing because it actually happened on a college campus.

We're better than this -- the ESPN posters know that and that, my friend, is why they are cracking up.

Not to mention the fact we are hands down preseason # 1 in one sport & shooting for the stars in the other sport.

The thing is -- by not saying it, they're right -- we are better than this.

Good job Mangino & Lew.

Brian Powell 5 years, 2 months ago

How embarrassing. Cmon guys - you're preseason #1 and should have a great season. Don't screw this up!

CrimsonMax 5 years, 2 months ago

No blood, no foul. I'm telling everyone it was over some triflin' ....

100 5 years, 2 months ago

Whether a hundred were there or not, the beauty of this is that the absolute root of it all is a woman...

This is the type of misunderstanding between men that can be fixed, real quick.

Without exception, tthe two who have a "claim" & their people they've brought with them to the Red River, will end up best friends.

Anybody else remember grade school? This is the same exact stuff -- best friends for life. Might take a couple days but this is always the way it ends...

And the lady will be left all alone, complaining to her new boyfriend, the star of the frisbee golf team (who is too high to understand what the he11 she's talking about)...

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 2 months ago

100 -

After skimming over your numerous posts regarding this situation and your ongoing theme of "the woman" being the central point of blame, I've come to a conclusion. You have obviously been dumped on more than once and have gained the wisdom that most guys fail to buy into, women are just no damn good! They are functional, convenient, caniving, manipulative forces that we men are confused by and often become hypnotized into believing we must always place on that pedestal. But, history tells us that they most of them are truly... just no damn good!

Can I get an amen?

rawkhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

I'm hoping at this point that this is big lesson to all involved. With the high profile of KU athletics, individuals are not going to commit these types of infractions without notice.

KU football and basketball have too much going for them to let this bring everyone down. That said, I hope awareness has sunk in.

memhawk,

Good stuff. Actually its the theme of nearly every play, movie or book ever written. It's the theme of life -- there is no other real reason we're here -- alas it is the root of it all...

I firmly believe there are as many good women out there as good men.

It is also quite apparent to me that the only way something like this gets going is over a woman. They can call it all of this other stuff, hundred people watching/ trying to break it up/ or what have you, but that's the root of this story. It's the Trojan War brought back to life -- luckily instead of 9 years it lasted a few more than 9 hours...

As for me, like all of us, I had my grade school moment & I threw a punch -- but she was a mean girl (we thought it was classy at the time) not worth fighting over, though both of us with "claims" did have big black eyes -- and she bragged to her friends for weeks that we "fought" over her...

Thanks to that moment (much like Tyshawn & this other cat), I learned quickly to stay away from those types of women (the "gimme gimme gimme" kind). They are soul suckers.

At any rate, there is no doubt that this is what this is about -- two grown men (well they're 19), who fought over a woman, dragged their friends into it, and the two factions will now be stronger than you could have ever imagined...

It's Billy Clyde Shakespeare baby!

Kent Wells 5 years, 2 months ago

memhawk: you can get an amen from me brother. In fact, (I) never get outta character ... I'm always a G about it.

Rockchalkallnight 5 years, 2 months ago

100 5 years, 2 months ago

LJW -- get control of your boards -- the poster above (Rockchalkallnight) is posing as a Jayhawk.

Those are inflammatory remarks that aren't even true -- obviously a fan of another school.

Rockchalkallnight 5 years, 2 months ago

Nope not a fan of another school, just tired of this same crap with collins and morris boys every year. Whether you want to admit it Self covers this crap up. And last year for the team to make it to the sweet sixteen he needed to. I am a fan of reading different sites though try reading the university daily kansan, it'll give more details then this site. I never heard the fight between collins and jacques crawford last year until i went to the other site. These three thugs are not needed on this team, they offer nothing but trouble, like JR Giddens. Time for Self to gain control of them or send them on their way!

rxjayhawk 5 years, 2 months ago

Do the student athletes not think about what they have. Paid room and board, and tuition. I wish they had to work for something for once in their lives other than getting better at a game. They need to learn to appreciate the gifts they've been given. Not to mention they are role models for a bunch of kids in this area and they represent one of the most prestigious universities in the nation. Us the fans want Kansas to be represented highest level. And these kids don't realize how much they affect the rest of the nations view about KU. And on a side note we do need to get rid of the kick off chant. KU fans are better than that, I think we should start acting like it.

KU football & basketball teams:

So I'm sure after today you have noticed how many people across the World look up to you guys & follow every step you take. Kids all over the world & loads & loads of kids all over the United States.

We are lucky to have you all -- do us all a favor -- if there's a bad apple, turn him in or guide him to the good side.

There's enough bad apples we have to deal with every time we play Missouri without shooting ourselves in the nut.

Martin Rosenblum 5 years, 2 months ago

wells -

I like your new vernacular. You, sir, are straight up G!