Originally published October 7, 2009 at 05:51p.m., updated October 8, 2009 at 12:00a.m.

Markieff Morris involved in non-injury accident driving teammate’s car

Kansas forward Markieff Morris sits for questions in the Jayhawks' locker room Saturday March 21, 2009 at the Metrodome in Minneapolis.

According to a Lawrence Police accident report, Kansas University sophomore basketball player Markieff Morris was involved in a two-vehicle accident last month while driving a Chevrolet Tahoe registered to former KU basketball player Scot Pollard.

Both Pollard and KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said Wednesday that Pollard in fact did not own the vehicle driven by Morris.

“It was not Scot Pollard’s car. It used to be Scot’s car. Tyshawn Taylor bought it from him,” Marchiony said.

“He (Taylor) lent it to Markieff. Compliance has documented the sale. The car belongs to Tyshawn. Compliance approved it. Everything is legal. It is not a compliance issue,” Marchiony added.

Pollard told the Journal-World he sold the car to Taylor before the start of first semester classes last summer.

“I sold the car to the kid. It was in August before school started,” Pollard said. “He paid me the money. I gave him the title. It was signed. I heard about the wreck today. I don’t know what happened to the car after he bought it.”

The accident occurred at 1:14 a.m. Sept. 13 near the intersection of Tennessee and 17th streets. Morris was driving southbound on Tennessee when he struck a Pontiac Grand Am while changing lanes.

No one was reported injured. Alcohol did not play a role in the accident.

The accident report listed the 1997 Tahoe as registered to Pollard, who recently moved back to Lawrence after a decade playing in the NBA.

If Morris actually was driving a car owned by Pollard, that might constitute an extra benefit in the NCAA’s eyes.

“This was a totally legitimate sale,” Pollard told the Journal-World. “There’s nothing to it. I sold it to Tyshawn for a fair (Blue Book) price. He reported it to compliance (so they could make sure it was a fair price).”

It’s possible Taylor may not have yet registered the vehicle in his own name following the transaction, perhaps explaining why the police report said the car was owned by Pollard.

When a vehicle is sold between two individuals, the Kansas Department of Revenue said the new owner has 30 days to present the title and transfer the vehicle into the new owner’s name. Public record laws do not allow officials to confirm if the vehicle has been re-registered.

“The car is not mine,” Pollard stressed.

Pollard later posted the light-hearted quote of the day on his Twitter feed.

“I do know that selling cars in Lawrence is a tough business!” he exclaimed, referring to attention he received on radio station 810 WHB, which first reported the story of the accident Wednesday afternoon.

For Pollard’s full take on the situation, read his blog at planetpollard.com.

Coach Self’s take

Kansas coach Bill Self commented on the matter to the Journal-World after being “roasted” Wednesday night in Wichita at a benefit to raise money for the American Diabetes Association.

“It’s a non-story,” Self said. “It is a non-issue as we handled everything (involving sale of Pollard’s vehicle to Taylor) through compliance, to make sure everything was handled in a correct way.

“There was a minor accident leading to this (story) when the purchase had already been made. Final registration had apparently not been done as he (Taylor) had to transfer the title. Unfortunately ... the timing of this ... it had all been dealt with a while ago.”

Meanwhile, in Wichita, the panel roasting Self was to include Bill Self Sr., San Antonio Spurs general manager R.C. Buford, Illinois State basketball coach Tim Jankovich and St. John’s basketball coach Norm Roberts. KU director of external relations Barry Hinson hosted the event. at Century II Exhibition Hall.

Rankings tap KU No. 1

CBSsportsline.com has tapped Kansas No. 1 in its preseason basketball rankings. Kentucky is second, Michigan State third, Texas fourth and defending national champion North Carolina fifth. KU’s Cole Aldrich has been named first team All America and Sherron Collins second team by CBSsportsline.com. Kentucky’s John Wall is preseason player of the year.

• Gary Bedore, Jesse Newell and Jesse Fray contributed to this report.

Comments

MrPilot 10 years, 3 months ago

"...last month..."

"Compliance approved it. Everything is legal."

"No one was reported injured. Alcohol did not play a role in the accident."

Do we seriously need to report on this?

suttonku 10 years, 3 months ago

Yes we do! It seems to get worse and worse...What else do we not know? It seems like it's going to come out sooner or later...Im not mad about this as long as its legal which it appears to be legal so its fine with me but yes this needed to be reported.

JayDocMD 10 years, 3 months ago

1:14 AM? I guess this is before the curfew imposed by HCBS. But if they don't realize it yet - nothing good happens on the road after midnight. Just ask Brady.

JayhawkGuy1978 10 years, 3 months ago

MrPilot - The answer is yes, this does need to be reported. But only thanks to the idiot Mizzou and K-State grads that send emails the minute that this story comes out claiming "Lack of Institutional Control" and "Cheating".

Thanks to the Journal World for clearing this up quickly.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

MrPilot 10 years, 3 months ago

This incident has nothing to do with anything. LJW is being no better than a damn supermarket tabloid here. What purpose could it possibly serve other than to try and make the school and/or athletic department look bad? I bet hundreds of KU students were involved in minor car accidents within the past year. And they may have even gasp been in cars they bought from other (or former) students. Do we hear about all of them? No.

s_dot_riegs 10 years, 3 months ago

I agree with MrPilot, it was last month, and everything is legal, and nobodys hurt. there blowing it out of proportion.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

Let's lay off the LJW. They are reporting this because 810 Sports out of KC was trying to make it a big deal. Kietzman was initially making this out to be a compliance issue on air and their original story on the web site was also. Marchiony went on air and cleared it up. But, the initial damage by Mr. KSUtzman was already done.

Ryan2845 10 years, 3 months ago

My prediction for the next lame KUsports revelation: BREAKING: Men's basketball team caught illegally downloading MP3's off the internets!!

hawkbono1313 10 years, 3 months ago

I heard 810 is working on a story about the basketball team getting free nachos at football games for tomorrows show. Kietzman got caught with his pants down on this. Not the first time for him

eastTXjayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

sadly, a month ago this may have been reported, but the response would be "ho hum, i wonder if he still has that big black car? (i forgot its special name, shame on me.) now, it just seems like piling on.

hometownhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

LJW is reporting it because Kevin Kietzman on WHB 810am radio this afternoon accused Morris of driving and wrecking a car that belonged to Scot Pollard, thus committing a severe NCAA violation. He reported this without verifying whether it was true or not (which it wasn't) for the blatantly obvious purpose of slinging mud at KU at an opportune moment. Scot Pollard was kind enough to call in to the radio show and call the man out for disregarding any semblance of journalistic integrity. Kietzman, a KSU alum, has shown over the years to be horribly biased against KU and has repeatedly used his platform to denigrate KU athletics. Don't let Kietzman win. This was a simple traffic accident (albeit late at night, but the kid is in college and wasn't drunk on a Saturday night, so that's gotta count for something). This is not LJW's fault, and it's not a reason to be upset toward the basketball team. It's an intentional attack from a dirtbag named Kietzman.

indyhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

THIS IS RIDICULOUS! This happened a month ago and now they want to report it? This is such BS!

tennesseest 10 years, 3 months ago

A big no-story accident. Kietzman tried to make a big deal of it. Jim Marchiony called in almost immediately, followed closely by Scot Pollard. There is no violation, just a blatent attempt to throw a program under the bus!

MrPilot 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm sorry. I didn't know about the radio show report. I see they're just trying to clear it up with this story. With all the crap happening of late, it just gives me an ulcer.

My apologies to LJW.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 3 months ago

WHB 810am and LJW need to get all the details before shooting off at the mouth! It is just a matter of time before they defame someone and face the consequences! I am glad that Marchiony and Pollard came straight out and gave the facts.

Scott Wood 10 years, 3 months ago

This is all about 810 jumping the gun. Not LJW.

Hawk50 10 years, 3 months ago

I'm not trying to defend Keitzman, but the problem is that Taylor should have registered the vehicle in his own name. I think you're supposed to do that within 30 days, so unless the accident happened in August he's in violation. Our players need to know they are under the microscope and we can't give the enemy any ammo.

100 10 years, 3 months ago

An unnamed source has confirmed Kietzman is a liar & has been pulled over 3 times in the last 5 years for DWI suspicion. Additionally the unnamed source has confirmed that he sleeps with his naked dog, forcing her monthly against her will to get a Brazillian.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 3 months ago

DoubleDD 10 years, 3 months ago

I just can't believe this. This car wreck happened over a month ago and now its coming out. It sounds like the media forces are lacking in good stories so lets pour in on KU. It sounds like to me some media outlets that have very baised hosts (810) are a little sick that KU could win the North, play in another BCS Bowl (which Mizz has yet to do in all its glory), and win the NC in basketball for the second time in 3 years. Keep talking your smack boys and KU will just keep winning.

FairgroveJayhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

I didn't hear the show on 810 but find it really funny Pollard reportedly called in to set the dikesman straight.

Nice to have clarification LJW.

9 days............................ Late Night

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 3 months ago

champhawk10 10 years, 3 months ago

Check out what pollard had to say in his blog. http://planetpollard.com/wordpress/ it's pretty funny

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 3 months ago

Kevin Queffson was a male cheerleader at K State. He apparently wanted to go to KU but the coaches told him he would never make it on the squad. So out of anger and frustration he went to K State to get back at KU for not giving him a scholarship. While he was there he was beat up several times by the chess team for getting several cheers wrong at there chess scrimmages. He was also beat up several times by the football team which was a blow because at that time most of the players were male cheerleaders filling in for the lack of talent.

KGphoto 10 years, 3 months ago

Danielle POY article = 8 comments

MM non-story, hours and hours later, = 30 comments.

We got work to do.

Eliott Reeder 10 years, 3 months ago

Non-issue. I guess the JW is just following the spikes in hits that they get after printing sensationalist crap. Keeps going and going. Vicious cycle.

jhawk11 10 years, 3 months ago

I listened to Kietzman's original "breaking news" story on 810 today, but then had to go to class so I didn't get to hear what Marchiony and Pollard had to say. My question is why was there a 16-year-old girl in the car? I can't wait to hear what Steven and Nate have to say about this whole thing tomorrow morning.

KEITHMILES05 10 years, 3 months ago

murph 10 years, 3 months ago

I think Scot Pollard's big Caddy convertible was green and was named "Marvin"?? I remember that in the fall of '96 the entire basketball team posed in it for a team picture. It was pretty funny to see some of guys trying to get their long legs folded up to be INSIDE the vehicle.

Kevin Long 10 years, 3 months ago

Kevin Kietzman is always ready to pop off on KU any chance he has. The man is a bitter KSU fan who will do anything he can do try to bring KU down.

KU has to be very careful for awhile until all this "trouble" blows over. The slightest thing is going to be blown out of proportion, as this car thing was.

Glad to hear about the #1 ranking!

Dan Pawlowski 10 years, 3 months ago

After reading the comments here I believe the following statement is in order. You people need to get a life.

indyhawk 10 years, 3 months ago

A murder really?? We are not Baylor..

Steve Brown 10 years, 3 months ago

cars & girls, cars & girls, root of all evil, cars (stuff) and girls...boys: don't let dr. johnson do your thinking....

Keitzman is rabid in his KU accusations, not sure if he believes his own blow or if he blows up for ratings. Here's the difference, Brady breaks team rules he sits down..anyone recall that KState QB that violated team rules and still started & played in their bowl game...where was Keitzman then with his holier than though purple mantra?

810 sucks up to MU fans as KK knows he can't win ratings war with only purple fans....the answer to stop KK is with ratings- listen to and report 610 sports is your station if in the KC market.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 3 months ago

As much as I dislike Kevin 610 sports is unbearable to listen too. All of them are very unprofessional. No one is better than Soren Petro.

justanotherfan 10 years, 3 months ago

Pollard clearly states in his blog that the accident occurred in the time frame for Taylor to get the car registered in his name, Maxhawk. Quit trying to throw the kid under the bus because he posted some song lyrics of music you don't like on Facebook.

jacqueshock 10 years, 3 months ago

I just went to planetpollard.com. I laughed at the picture on the home page. Then I laughed reading Pollard's blog of the incident. Then I laughed at the photo of him with a baseball cap on backwards, sunglasses, and a cigar hanging out of his mouth with the caption: "Do I look like I wanna spend the rest of the day on the phone?"

My three favorite KU b-ball players are Jacque Vaughn, Wayne Simien, and Darnell Jackson. All three players represent eras 5-6 years apart and I like them for differing reason. But I may have to make a fourth spot for Pollard because he is one of the funniest athletes I've ever heard! I may make his blog a regular read.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

When I used to commute to KC everyday, I often listened to Kietzman on my way home. Usually, he is well balanced, but occasionally goes off on tangents. When he jumps on his soapbox, he can fixate beyond rationality. Danny Clinkscale, a KU grad, is usually around the show to rein him in when he is bashing KU. And Clinkscale can rip on KU too, when there is an actual point to make. I don’t know how many times I’ve heard Kietzman rip on KU fans, claiming that we insist on calling KU, “THE University of Kansas” (emphasis on THE.) It’s obvious that after all these years, he still suffers from the KSU-as-the-little-brother-chip-on-the-shoulder attitude.

But, I think of it this way… KU Athletics is at a level well above that of MU and KSU. 810 lost Jason Whitlock, the Jim Rome Show, and the Royals, to 610 Sports. KU is by far the hottest sports program in the KC regional market and they have also partnered with 610 Sports. 810 broadcasts KSU games, so Kietzman naturally caters to the purple crowd. KU is at the top and we should expect this type of media frenzy whenever one of our guys passes gas – and that’s just the way it is. I’d rather be us than them.

KUbsee69 10 years, 3 months ago

hawk50, maxhawk:

You are blaming Tyshawn for not registering the car in time, but read Pollard's blog (linked in champhawk's posting). Pollard indicates the accident occurred within the time limit for re-registering the car. Some seem bent on putting Taylor in a negative light ... credat Judaeus apella, non ego.

To reconcile this, let's just stomp KSU on Nov 7th to put Keitzman further into depression.

Paul Meyer 10 years, 3 months ago

Back to MURPH's comment: Didn't Ostertag hurt himself getting out of Pollard's Caddy? Something like getting his foot run over?

Jesse Newell 10 years, 3 months ago

KeithMiles05 — You can't copy/paste articles directly from other sites. You can link to the articles, but you can't simply copy/paste.

hogwild 10 years, 3 months ago

Lets not forget the fact that Mr Morris was out past 1:00 am with two 16 yr old girls. Why was he not arrested for contributing to the deliquency of a minor? What action did Mr. Self take against Mr Morris for those criminal actions.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 3 months ago

hogwild,

What the crap are you talking about, "No one was reported injured. Alcohol did not play a role in the accident". What was he contributing, his service for taking these people home. I'm pretty sure that is not a crime.

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

hog - seriously??? No booze, no sex, and 1:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning is when most Saturday nights start to wind down in a college town. Is it really shocking that a 19 year-old is taking a 16 year-old home? Last I remember, we all have freedom of association. What criminal actions are you talking about? Are you privy to Self's weekend curfew rules during the off-season? If so, please share this inside knowledge you have with the rest of us.

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkerjoel. At this point, it does seem a little weird that a 20 year old had a 16 year old in the car. Especially given what I remember that I did on Saturday nights/Sunday mornings. But, there was another male present, and an 18 year old female. Who knows. I'm sure the specifics will never be known.

I'm just excited about what news today or tomorrow brings about our program.

jaybate 10 years, 3 months ago

I am more interested in the Chevy Tahoe than the girls in it.

Question: How do these players without jobs afford the gas for the thing?!! :-)

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 3 months ago

Jaybate,

Tune into 810 Kevin Kietzman is trying to uncover a story right now about them syphoning gas from the Kansas football players.

Lash 10 years, 3 months ago

gas-------- how do they buy the vehicles at blue book prices?

Joel Hood 10 years, 3 months ago

C'mon folks. Most of these guys have families who can share spending cash. Where did they get gas money in high school? Also, they all work different basketball camps in the summer for (gasp) pay. Camps are NCAA approved and the pay is tracked carefully.

ginger2015 10 years, 3 months ago

Hey Matt3285 it seems that you forgot to mention the Brady incident or did you just overlook an actual arrest.

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

jayhawkinmullen:

Just checking kusports.com for the latest arrest/incident reports.

Otherwise, just waiting on the weather up there to get down here and cool things off!

jaybate:

You're more interested in a Chevy Tahoe than girls? It's just a sad day...

Kent Wells 10 years, 3 months ago

Yes sir. San Antonio.

Nice new avitar. You know he has a kid...

cstewa04 10 years, 3 months ago

I hope the rest of Jayhawk Nation in and around the KC area take the same action as myself and no longer listen to Kevin Kietzman, WHB 810's "Between The Lines" or support any of his advertisers. His inflammatory remarks to and about Scott Pollard, Markieff Morris, and the University and continual KU-bashing have pushed me to that end.

Pete Owens 10 years, 3 months ago

Why is this even a story? He is a student. How many other students had an accident this week?

It is time for advertisers to boycott the J World and KU Sports.com. All the coverage with Giddens and then "the fight" and now thisa little thing. I mean really how many times will you shouw your butt and that you have a witch hunt mentality?