Kansas defeats Pittsburg State, 103-45

• 7 p.m., Nov. 10, 2009
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

A grand slam

Marcus’ dunk lifts KU

Kansas forward Marcus Morris delivers a powerful dunk sending Pittsburg State guard Andy Smith (14) to the floor during the first half Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas routs Pitt. State in final exhibition

The Kansas men's basketball team wrapped up exhibition play by crushing the Pittsburg State Gorillas, 103-45. Freshman forward Thomas Robinson scored 17 points for KU.

Audio clips

2009 KU-Pitt State men's basketball

Reader poll

Who impressed you the most against Pittsburg State?

• Marcus Morris 4% 170 votes
  • Markieff Morris 2% 89 votes
  • Thomas Robinson 88% 3202 votes
  • Xavier Henry 2% 100 votes
  • Other 1% 44 votes

3605 total votes.

Marcus Morris’ vicious one-handed slam — off a no-look, left-hand, over-the-shoulder feed from Tyshawn Taylor — ranks as the 6-foot-8 sophomore’s top dunk in a game. Ever.

“For sure. I’ve never been a dunker, as y’all saw last year. I’ve been more a finesse player,” Morris said after posterizing Pittsburg State’s Andy Smith late in the first half of Kansas University’s 103-45 victory over the Gorillas on Tuesday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

As hard as 16,300 delirious fans may find this to believe, the dunk through the middle of the lane that buried the 6-foot-1 Smith is not, however, the best of Morris’ entire life.

His top dunk, Morris sheepishly revealed, came at recent practice against a certain 6-foot-11 first-team preseason All-American.

“I dunked on Cole (Aldrich) a couple days ago. It was kind of bad,” Morris said.

“That one tonight was No. 2. I got excited, but he (Smith) was kind of short,” added Morris, who screamed into the TV camera after Tuesday’s slam, then nodded at coach Bill Self because, “coach always tells me I can’t dunk.”

He didn’t look at Aldrich and in fact jokingly asked the media to keep it quiet he rattled the rim against KU’s junior pivot twice at practice.

“Don’t tell him I told you. Tell him an unknown source told you in the locker room because if I say it, he’s going to try to dunk on me in practice, and I don’t want that to happen,” joked Morris, who scored 12 points and grabbed 10 rebounds on a night seven Jayhawks scored in double figures.

Freshman Thomas Robinson was best of all with 17 points, seven boards and three blocks.

Morris needn’t worry about repercussions from Aldrich, who readily admits Morris jammed in his face the other day.

“It happens to the best of everybody. I’m not gonna deny it. At the same time, I’ve dunked on him,” Aldrich said. “Practice is competitive. That’s how it is. If I get dunked on, it’s fine. How many times I’ve gone to the rim, you always get one shot-block or two.”

Not this time.

“It was similar (against Aldrich), running down the middle, and he happened to be there,” Morris explained. “He happened to jump, and I happened to jump. They gave him stuff about it when he got in the locker room.”

Aldrich, by the way, wasn’t ready to rank Morris’ dunk against the Gorillas second to the one in practice. He sought teammate Chase Buford’s counsel.

“Which was better, Chase?”

“The one in practice? Oooohhh,” Buford exclaimed.

“Don’t listen to Chase. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” Aldrich cracked.

Morris promises to dunk a lot more this season and stare in the face of the camera again.

“I always wanted to do that, to be honest,” said Morris, whose vertical leap has improved from 28 inches to 34 since last year. He says he has improved his quickness thanks in part to the game “Dance Dance Revolution” he played in the offseason at 6 in the morning with KU trainer Andrea Hudy.

“The first thing that came to my head was to do that (yell in camera after slam). I kind of was focused as a bad guy last year, (so) at first I just wanted to kind of laugh it off like it didn’t mean too much. I didn’t think he (PSU’s Smith) was going to get under me. Then once I felt it and looked up and saw what happened, I had to go crazy.

“I pointed to coach on the bench, and he pointed to me. He said I don’t ever dunk. After I looked at the camera, I looked at coach Self.”

Self approved.

“Marcus is athletic. He doesn’t play to his athletic ability near enough,” Self said. “Marcus made some athletic plays and also played the small forward spot. He looked pretty comfortable out there.”

Morris graciously tried to deflect the attention to rookie forward Robinson, who hit seven of 12 shots and three of five free throws.

“He is a monster. That kid doesn’t know how strong he is, but he will soon,” Morris said.

“He looks like he’s having a lot of fun out there,” noted Self, who was speaking about Robinson, but could also have been talking about the high-flying Morris.

KU will meet Hofstra at 7 p.m. Friday in Allen Fieldhouse in the regular-season opener for both teams.

Comments

FlaHawk 4 years, 11 months ago

The Flying Dutchmen of Hofstra will be grounded on Friday by KU. by a score of 110-56!

GO HAWKS!

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 11 months ago

Dance, Dance, Revolution!

At 6:00 am?

Now, that's cardio!

Good one Hudy!

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

“Dance Dance Revolution” ....

This team is developing chemistry. This season could be exceptional.

FairgroveJayhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

memhawk, your keyboard is faster than mine.

MarchSadness 4 years, 11 months ago

1 play on SportsCenter's Top Plays last night! Rock Chalk!

KU 4 years, 11 months ago

Wow, I can't remember a KU team playing with that much energy and enthusiasm for the full 40 minutes.

Ben Kane 4 years, 11 months ago

sure did get me excited for basketball again.

Steve Brown 4 years, 11 months ago

Like MarchSadness reports: Today also: ESPN top ten plays, Marcus is #1 feature. It is playing all day, check it out.

Priest Fontaine 4 years, 11 months ago

i dont have television. couldnt find the sportcenter top10 online anywhere. anyway to view the game or at least some of the highlights? I missed everything!

Joe Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

Can you imagine a team watching the film!!! LOL

Who do we guard? Everyone, including the bench!!!

Coaches are going to go nuts trying to prepare for KU!!!!

LOL

I LOVE IT!!

RCJHKU

Ron Franklin 4 years, 11 months ago

I have never, ever seen more athletic scorers on any college basketball team, than this team has right now. This is going to be an incredible season. Robinson is an absolute stud.

RC

vmwskywalk 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree with KU. We have been playing inspired ball the whole game. I think the new blood is going to be the secret ingredient to this team.

thut 4 years, 11 months ago

Just book your tickets to Indy now. Wow they are good!

dmc8142 4 years, 11 months ago

Very impressed with the team this year! I hope we only get better as the season progresses. If there is a game or two where we do slip, I am hoping the guys don't get down on themselves and can turn it into a learning experience and a way to get better. We just need to take the season one game at a time and let HCBS and co. work their magic and hopefully we can avoid the injury bug and God willing, we will be playing our best ball come tourney time! Lets do this Hawks!

jaybate 4 years, 11 months ago

Desperately Seeking the Tipping Point of Hump Day:

} DDR. Cus. Hude. 6AM.

If Hudy had her face on, too, she is hands down "Wonder Woman."

Someone needs to video THAT!

Straight to YouTube Hall of Fame.

} 28 vertical increased to 34 vertical?

That has to be some kind of record in positive bump in hop!

For gosh sakes, I'm in middle age and I can go 28 inches after a cup of Peets in the morning.

Marcus is going to get to play the game of basketball for the first time in his life. He's going to enjoy his hang time in other people's grilles.

} Might as well come out and say this: Cole, you better rev up now. Kieff, Cus and Thomas want to do more than rest you.

} Again, going LARGE is going to be fun with this team. Call this cast "Sherron and the Sequoias."

1 Sherron 2 Xavier 3 Marcus 4 TRob 5 Cole/Kieff

Try to muscle that team, Ratso Izzo!

swkhawk24 4 years, 11 months ago

That game was incredible, got me so excited for the season. Does anybody know why Hofstra changed their mascot from the flying dutchmen to the pride?

nwjhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

Now THATS what I'm talkin' about! Way to be agressive around the basket Marcus. Talk about Dunk Dunk Revelation. If we win it all, Andrea should be right in front with the boys lifting the trophy.

Ron Franklin 4 years, 11 months ago

Joe Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

BlownJay (anonymous) says... I hate to be involved in speculation, but I'm so anxious to here what Harrison is doing with his decision this Friday....anybody have any insight?

absolutely, postively- uh...nothing!! LOL

I say he's KU bound...why not! LOL

KUFan90 4 years, 11 months ago

swkhawk24 - I believe a protest was filed by Dutchmen that didn't appreciate being ridiculed as mascots of sports teams. Thus Hofstra did the politically correct thing and changed to "Pride". Dutchmen everywhere were relieved.

Joe Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

Blownjay- If we're going to speculate, let's do it in KU's favor, right?

Harrison, the Phog awaits your presence and to add your name to the legends of b-ball history!!

Dirk Medema 4 years, 11 months ago

So much talk about the dunk, and maybe appropriate in this case b/c of the change from last year. Again agreeing with you Jaybate, 6" improvement in vertical seems as huge 28" is pedestrian.

What stood out to me tho was TT's pass. Reminded me of Chritian Moody's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JMACF...

Does anyone know what was the "highlght on Monday" that the announcers mention?

It was also interesting to see a white (men can't jump) doctor disguised as a BB player throughing down more than either MM did last year in this special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmSVhs...

Didn't remember this one, but seemed worthy of posting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIV_bM... Are there other "most memorable dunks"?

Steve Brown 4 years, 11 months ago

BLownJay: you are correct, athletic and athletic deep down the bench: even into street clothes. Wow that group of street clothes would be fun to watch.

Drgnslyr: wise words just have fun, make it a party, play as a team and have fun, and by the way execute to coach's standards while you are at it, rebound, block out, defense etc. but have fun. The game is fun to play and watch.

Re: Harrison and the recruits do you think it matters that our Fr & Soph are even better than projected, if that can be possible, so a recruit would come in and play with absolute STUDS. Years ago who wouldn't have wanted to join the fab five, and likewise who wouldn't want to join this group of FR&SOPH if they had stellar ability and desires? Don't good players make others better? sky is the limit.

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 11 months ago

WE ALL feel good about these exhibition games. This team has played pretty well in them. I like what little I have seen so far.

What I am more interested in seeing is what happens when the going gets rough. Who will respond when Cole has a game with foul trouble early? When Sherron goes into a funk how will the other four on the floor deal with it? How will coach Self respond when starters don't bring the D and just walk through the offense?

These things will happen at some point. How they respond will set the character of this team. Everything so far says they should respond very positively. I just want to see it with my own eyes.

Joe Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

BCRavenJHawkfan (anonymous) says... Who will respond

Good question Raven! I would respond with just about any other big: Mk, Mc, TRob or our guards our capable of stepping up for SC: TT, EJ, TReed, X

We have too many bodies to fail in this scenerio.

Joe Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

“I just signed it,” Woolridge said. “My friends were there and I gave a little speech,” added Woolridge.

Indeed you did Mr Woolridge!! Welcome to KU!

Your turn Harrison! Put the pen to the paper and sign-up for some exciting b-ball that can only be found at KU.

theprogram 4 years, 11 months ago

BCRavenJHawkfan 4 years, 11 months ago

truehawk93,

I think you are right. Again, I want to see it with my own eyes. We have been down this road before where guys that look like obvious setup guys end up evaporating.

Don't think that will be the case with this group but I would sleep easier knowing they have each others back.

And on a side note, Robinson looks like he wouldn't back down from anybody!

Ron Franklin 4 years, 11 months ago

.....Because seriously, who announces they will be making a nationally televised, public decision when the decision has not already been made. SOMEBODY knows!!

Harrison Do it. Come to Kansas. Do it. Rock the Chalkmeisters in 2010. Do it.

jayhawkinmullen 4 years, 11 months ago

Just wait until they get to the big dance. This team is going to dance, dance to a revolution!!!

Joe Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

Raven- I am impressed with their chemistry. I was a little concerned about their team chemistry early during boot camp. I watched the video of them on the shoot "hangin" around and then last night. They really push each other to excel. I was real impressed when TRob was in and how he stepped up to the challenge.

They were constantly challenging each other last night, pushing for more. I think they'll give more this year than last year. They all know the expectations and even the freshmen seem focused on the prize.

BUT- They need to have fun! I saw an extremely talented group of guys having so much fun. They know how to do it and I think they'll be ready each night.

Joe Baker 4 years, 11 months ago

They were all unselfish which is HCBS's secret to a NC!!! This is why they had so many dunks last night.

It was really nice to see SC score at will rather than being forced to score. He looked so relaxed and confident. He could pass to others and they answered most of the time.

I saw two good D2 teams get really overwhelmed with wave after wave of KU players. We have little to no weaknesses. We will bombard teams with suffocating D and the traps were tenacious last night. They were a little careless at times by committing silly fouls during some of those traps, but they executed on D really well. They anticipated the passing lanes which led to layups and dunks.

I see teams getting really tired if they aren't too deep. I can see freshmen from other teams making some mistakes against our traps. I really liked the intensity and follow through with each play.

Steve Brown 4 years, 11 months ago

you are correct, our depth will allow us to attack in 3 minute bursts and get quality subs in the game, should wear down most other foes whose bench isn't as deep.

problem is during march madness the TV timeouts are so long the starters not only get rest but also have time for pizza and a sauna. Therefore, as we've seen in past, the team with weak bench doesn't suffer as much as you may think.

excuse me, one game at a time, bring on The Pride & the Predjudice. Hofstra can be the pride and we'll be prejudice in not letting them run their sets.

kushaw 4 years, 11 months ago

I hope I am pleasantly surprised on Friday, but I am now getting the feeling that Barnes is ACC bound. I am completely wafering on this decision, but my "Gut" has completely changed over the last 24 hours. If Little and Releford red-shirt this year, KU is in the running for 4 of the Top 10 "Rush Spots" from next year's class. I guess that would be a good consolation prize should KU lose out on Barnes on Friday.

00000 4 years, 11 months ago

When Sherron goes into a funk how will the other four on the floor deal with it? While I'm not one to project or guarantee anything this season—though this season looks painfully promising—it seems evident just about anyone can pick up when Sherron Collins isn't stellar.

At halftime, last year's two leading scorers (Cole Aldrich and Collins) had 12 of KU's 55 points. Last season, though, how many points would they have probably scored? Twenty? Thirty?

KU's offense looks nearly unstoppable this season: If Xavier Henry and Tyrel Reed keep dropping 3s, Thomas Robinson keeps schooling everyone inside, if Marcus and Markieff Morris keeping dunking and not lazily attempting to lay it in (re: last year) . . . I have a hard time not telling myself this season may be KU's greatest.

kushaw 4 years, 11 months ago

I have heard about this guy over the years, but it's one of the best "Insider" historian basketball stories I have read in a while. I love stories like this and it gives you "True History" of the game.

Martin Rosenblum 4 years, 11 months ago

"..Dunk, Dunk, Revelation" That's as good as they come!

What about Teahan's attempt to dunk? Wonder what his VL was and is now? Was he also on the DD,R?

jayhawker97 4 years, 11 months ago

i'm pretty sure this will get the other teams want to beat KU so bad!!! bring it on, baby. Marcus, you're about to see a lot of reduxes of No. 1s & 2s of your baddesst dunks, dawg! Yeah!!! now the fun has just begun: watching the real badass Twins playing like real men!! bring it on!! go Jayhawks!!!!

JHawkins 4 years, 11 months ago

Is there any way I can watch this game??? this is driving me crazy...

jaxjhawk 4 years, 11 months ago

kushaw

Thanks for the link on that sports illustrated article. Tom Kolchanski is everything that is right about humanity and college basketball.

World Wide Wes needs a little history lesson on this true gentleman.