Thursday, May 7, 2009

Langford earns MVP award at EuroChallenge in Italy

Former Kansas University basketball standout Keith Langford earned MVP honors in leading his Virtus Bologna Fiere team to a first-place finish in the 2009 EuroChallenge in Italy.

Langford scored 21 points in a 77-75 victory over Cholet Basket of France in the EuroChallenge title game April 26. The EuroChallenge is the top men’s basketball competition directly run by FIBA Europe.

“I’m playing for a great club and I hope I’m here again next year,” Langford told fibaeurope.com.

Langford, a 25-year-old shooting guard from Fort Worth, Texas, who is the sixth-leading scorer in KU history, averaged 14.7 points and 3.5 rebounds a game during the 2008-09 season. He scored 13 points in a Final Four semifinal victory over Proteas EKA AEL.

Eastern Michigan’s Earl Boykins and Clemson’s Sharrod Ford also played on the Virtus team.

KU is No. 1: Add Sports Illustrated’s Luke Winn to the list of media types picking Kansas to win the 2010 NCAA title.

“I'm last aboard the Kansas-as-No. 1 bandwagon,” Winn wrote. “Michigan State topped the rankings that ran the morning after the title game, but that was before KU added a another first-round NBA talent to its lineup. Xavier Henry gives the Jayhawks something they lacked — scoring power from the wing — and bumps them just above the Spartans. The nation is ‘aTwitter’ over the John Wall recruiting saga, but Henry’s decision could turn out to be bigger.”

This, that: Former KU guard Tyrone Appleton reportedly has NCAA Div. II University of Southern Indiana high on his list of possible transfer destinations. His dad says no final decision on a school has been made. ... Former KU forward Quintrell Thomas visited UNLV last weekend and has UNLV, St. Joseph’s and Siena on his list.

Comments

overseashawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I totally agree, ralster, about Langford. He had a VERY short sting in the NBA so he can at least say he was an NBA player. In addition to that if he got a shot at an NBA team he'd more than likely earn league minimum with no guaruntee to make the team year after year. At least in Europe he'll have either a static or increasing salary year after year with a guaranteed roster spot for the forseeable future.

On a side note I saw some article (in Spanish) from my Google alerts. Apparently Wayne Simien has given up basketball at the moment. It seems that he has a sick relative and has also retired in order to work in the ministry. I am from LV so I had previously heard this as a rumor but it seems to be solidified by that article. I wish Wayne all the best in the world. He is definitely one of the all-time great Jayhawks.

overseashawk 9 years, 6 months ago

Actully just noticed a KUsports article from a couple of days ago re: Wayne. Apparently you all knew before me.

5a5quatch 9 years, 6 months ago

I know this is unrelated, but it's AFH vs The Pit in the Semis of an online poll for best arena. AFH currently has a 52-48 % lead, but The Pit has closed the gap from 65-35 in a few days. I guess they listed the poll in the Alburqueque paper. Today is the last day to vote, so, if you have a second, vote!

panalytic 9 years, 6 months ago

Good luck Tyrone!! A lot of division I or II schools would be fortunate to have you.

speedy 9 years, 6 months ago

Quintrell thomas are you reading this? go to UNLV and play! they could use your talents. Lonie Kruger may have gone to K St. but he is a kansan from Silver Lk. hes also a honest coach and there arn,t many honest people in las vegas. everyone is suspect. try paying for somthing with a 20$ or 100$ bill. wana bet they hold it up to the light to see if its real? they do not regard that as an insult to you. i do. UNLV is waiting. ROCK CHALK KU

KUFan90 9 years, 6 months ago

Appleton to D2?? Not sure why he would do that. I have to believe he would generate strong D1 interest and could be a major contributor at a D1 school...

bad_dog 9 years, 6 months ago

KUFan90, I believe a D1 transfer loses a year of eligibility for transferring to another D1 school, but not if moving to D2. Appleton will be a senior, so if he transfers to a D1 institution, he wouldn't be able to play before graduation.

Just my recollection. I could be wrong.

truefan 9 years, 6 months ago

I wish the best for Langford. I wish I could watch him play ball, but if he is happy in Europe, then that is all that matters.

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 6 months ago

I agree with Appleton having the ability to play D1.

Great news for Langford.

Scott Wood 9 years, 6 months ago

Wayne has retired for good from basketball. Also it is not a sick relative it is a very clode friend that he went to high school with. Wayne is a great person and a great friend I wish him nothing but the best.