Wednesday, June 10, 2009

KU releases 2010 football schedule

Reader poll

What do you think of the KU football team's 2010 non-conference schedule?

• Too hard 5% 61 votes
  • Too easy 23% 244 votes
  • Just right 66% 686 votes
  • Undecided 3% 37 votes

1028 total votes.

A non-conference home game against Georgia Tech is one of the highlights of the 2010 Kansas football schedule released Wednesday by KU.

The Jayhawks have agreed to a two-year, home-and-home series with the Yellow Jackets. The return game will be played in Atlanta, Ga., in 2011.

KU's other 2010 non-conference games include home matchups against North Dakota State and New Mexico State and a road contest against Southern Mississippi. The Jayhawks also will face Big 12 South opponents Baylor, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State for the first time since 2007.

The complete 2010 schedule is shown below.

2010 Kansas Football Schedule

Sept. 4 NORTH DAKOTA STATE

Sept. 11 GEORGIA TECH

Sept. 18 at Southern Mississippi

Sept. 25 NEW MEXICO STATE

Oct. 2 *at Baylor

Oct. 16 *KANSAS STATE

Oct. 23 *TEXAS A&M

Oct. 30 *at Iowa State

Nov. 6 *COLORADO

Nov. 13 *at Nebraska

Nov. 20 *OKLAHOMA STATE

Nov. 27 *vs. Missouri (at Kansas City)

Home games in ALL CAPS

* - Big 12 Conference game

Comments

William James 5 years, 3 months ago

We will have a great shot at starting the season 8-1 or 9-0. When do we play the return game at Duke? Or do we?

Jaminrawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Wow, road games at Baylor, Nebraska and Iowa State. Not too daunting. Hopefully it will be a good way to break in our new group and have them ready for MU by the end of the year. Then again, Baylor and Nebraska could be much better by next season, so who knows?

irish2255 5 years, 3 months ago

Can't wait to go see the Hawks play the return game in 2011 in Hotlanta. Should be a goodtime for traveling fans.

Rock_Chalk_NYC 5 years, 3 months ago

Great to see us add the GT game... It shows how our program has developed and that we're not afraid of scheduling a potentially tough game early in the season. Unlike the Mildcats down the road... I believe Snyder is once again trying to schedule the Little Sisters of Guatemala for a game.

In addition, this will most assuredly get some national tv exposure... great for recruiting too!

Rock Chalk!

William James 5 years, 3 months ago

Maxhawk-Just calm down would you. It's not like we scheduled USC, and the game is here. With UT, OU, and Texas Tech off the schedule it is damn smart to play a well respected BSC school in the non con.
Don't you remember all the heat we took in 2007 because we didn't play the big 3 in the south and didn't play a single BSC school in the non con. With Oklahoma State being much improved, as well as Nebraska, and now a respectable BCS school in the non con, when we start the season 8-1 or even 9-0, you wont hear the same kinds of criticisms about our schedule. I cant believe there are people that still don't give the program the benefit of the doubt.

Ryan Wood 5 years, 3 months ago

No Todd Reesing = no shot at 8-1 or 9-0. Sorry for ya.

rolo2383 5 years, 3 months ago

GaTech is not going to be an easy team to play. Paul Johnson is going to be bring a well disciplined option team in here and then going on the road to So Miss won't be an easy game either. We will be breaking in a new QB and Meier and Brisco will be gone. I love the schedule but I think we'll have to play good football to win those games.

mandomax 5 years, 3 months ago

Throwing the non-con Tech game in there is a genius move considering we're not playing the powerhouses of the South. Who is the frontrunner for QB consideration in '10? Kale? Mangino has crafted quite the recruiting class and it seems that will continue so long as our success does. I wouldn't write off the 2010-11 team yet just because Meier, Reesing, and Briscoe won't be around...

William James 5 years, 3 months ago

The last time we were breaking in a new QB, we won our first 11 games. So I guess I'm not overly intimidated by that fact. It's too early obviously to try making predictions game to game, but it is realistic we will be favored to win all of our first 9 games. Obviously, too far out to know that for sure.

Dirk Medema 5 years, 3 months ago

Good to see us schedule a significant non-con game, especially with the "weak" South teams on the schedule, though I expect OSU & BU to be much tougher games than in the past. The only thing I would have preferred would have been for the GaTech game to be the third or fourth game and not the second. At least it is at home. Every team that expects to be seriously considered nationally should be required to play at least one quality non-con opponent (UT).

Todd, Kerry, Dez, & Jake will (likely) be gone, but the line will be solid, and I expect the RB's to be solid by then as well. Maybe it won't be the hi-flying O we've come to love and expect, but it could still be a solid group. Hopefully, we can get comfortable margins early in the non-con this season so that Pick can get some experience. Next year, he should be challenged by Webb, and maybe Matthews and Walker. It will be a young group, but at least they should be playing behind a solid O-line.

Ryan Wood 5 years, 3 months ago

fabio-- I know your blindly loyal to the Hawks, but the last quarterback KU broke in was Todd Reesing. If you think there are a bunch of Todd Reesings lying around, you're insulting Todd Reesing.

Kansas will not be favored in their first 9 games next year. Put down the Kool Aid

Tribehawk 5 years, 3 months ago

I think I agree with Maxhawk. I think we could have waited one more year before adding a quality non-con opponent. Big XII North is getting better. By '10, a lot of those games will be tougher than they were last year or will be this year. I'm really interested to see who will be our QB by then end of '10. My money's on Webb.

rolo2383 5 years, 3 months ago

I'll second that Tribehawk. Webb looked like he at "it" during the spring game. But what do I know. We have lots of depth so that's a good thing.

kupopp 5 years, 3 months ago

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but the last time we broke in new quarterback(s), we lost six games, including Toledo. Reesing had his red shirt burned when he was used against Colorado. He started precisely zero games that year.

And don't think Georgia Tech is a gimme. They beat Georgia at Georgia last year.

Jayhawk1983 5 years, 3 months ago

I am pretty sure that the Nebraska game is in Lawrence this fall.

William James 5 years, 3 months ago

Maybe I am drinking kool aid, but I don't see a game in the first 9 were we will likely be underdogs at this point. I don't think whoever follows up Todd will be near as good. I think we will be fielding a pretty good team overall including a really good QB. Do I think we will start 11-0? no. Do I think right now, 8-1 with a little luck 9-0 sounds possible, you bet. In 2007, our starting QB had never started a game going into the season and had about 1 full game of experience in his career. We were breaking in a new QB. I guess we'll see. Maybe I am a homer.

Jeffery Barrett 5 years, 3 months ago

Obviously, most of you know nothing about Kale Pick. I know several people who followed and have seen him play. He will be a very good QB and will win many games....provided he doesn't have to run for his life like Reesing has had to do.

Jonathan Briles 5 years, 3 months ago

I think Kansas is looking good in the future no matter who the QB is. Pick and Webb are both really good and I would expect it to be a battle between them much like the one between KM and TR. But whoever it is will be protected by a line that will be extremely good by then and will have multiple speedy options with Rell Lewis and Sands followed by the power of Toben O at running back. Also Briscoe may be gone but Jonathan wilson will be around and he is no slouch at receiver. Also the highest rated recruit our program has brought in to date is Bradley McDougald this past year and he is also supposed to become a receiver not a DB, not to mention our Tight ends will have been around for a while. So I think our offense will be looking pretty good by the end of the year even if we start off a little rough around the edges. I think our future is bright in this upcoming year and the ones following, but thats just my opinion.

Ryan Wood 5 years, 3 months ago

I don't care who's behind Todd Reesing. He's not half the quarterback Todd Reesing is. Sorry.

Ryan Wood 5 years, 3 months ago

My point is, the impact a quarterback has on a team is gigantic, and KU fans apparently have started taking Reesing for granted. Otherwise we wouldn't be having any 8-1 predictions for the first nine games Reesing is not KU's quarterback.

chanutejayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Forgive me for further downgrading Todd, but I don't think it'll be too tough to replace him. I mean, finding a fast white kid with a good arm who is smaller than 6' shouldn't be that daunting of a task

Jonathan Briles 5 years, 3 months ago

You have got to be kidding Chanutejayhawk. His instincts and work ethic are extremely rare. How many QB's have we gone through Kansas in the past and never had anything like him. I don't think he is the worlds best QB, but he is an extremely talented kid and you don't just pick players like him off of a tree. He has a personality and heart that makes this team go.

merg311 5 years, 3 months ago

So I wanna know...those people complaining about GT on the schedule, were you also complaining about all the creampuffs in the non con the past few years? You can't have it both ways. GT is no powerhouse, but it is a very solid non con opponent. I like it!

kansas22 5 years, 3 months ago

Chanutejayhawk. Now You're done... You's a dummy if you don't think replacing a QB like Reesing will be tough. He is the best QB KU has ever seen for a reason. Yeah, he's short and white... And your point? He obviously gets the job done. Your comment didn't even deserve a response.

MikeJHawk 5 years, 3 months ago

I was looking forward to the trip to Duke. I think both G-Tech and S-Miss are teams that will be tough to beat. If we continue to improve 2 deep, we will be able to play with the big boys, and that is what we all want.

William James 5 years, 3 months ago

Okay guys, this conversation has gotten out of control. Everyone that knows me knows I am obsessed with Todd Reesing. I think he is the best QB in KU history and probably the 2d best in the country, behind only Teboe. Now, me being optimistic about the future of KU Football A.T., in no way insults, or demeans, or takes him for granted. That is absolutely OUTRAGEOUS to say that. Yes, I think it is possible for KU Football to win without Todd. No, I am not downplaying Todd Reesing.

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 3 months ago

I think chanute was kidding. However, to those saying Reesing is KU's best QB ever - Bobby Douglas, David Jaynes, John Hadl, and Nolan Cromwell were each an All-America.

Eurekahwk 5 years, 3 months ago

You say that Reesings of the world are rare? I dare you to do this. Imagine that Bill Whittemore has three years to work with like Todd....He has an offensive line averaging 300 across the front, like Todd. He has a GOOD offensive coordinator. AND...He doesn't lose half a season to injury. He would have thrown for 10,000 yards. I don't expect it to take 4 years to replace Touchdown Todd like it did to replace Bill. Yes, I think history has shown that Todd is the best QB Kansas has ever had by a long shot. But look at the history of Kansas football. Those old guys wouldn't have been named All-Americans in todays college football. They wouldn't have even been All-Big XII. Reesing wasn't.

William James 5 years, 3 months ago

In the future, when speaking of KU football, the history will be divided into 2 times. The time before Todd(B.T), and after Todd(A.T.). I don't give a damn what kind of awards he has or hasn't won. Though certainly not by himself, he has changed KU Football forever in a way not any before him have.

Kyle Crenshaw 5 years, 3 months ago

yea i agree with ohio... pretty sure that was sarcasm comin from chanute, calm down people! i personally am excited about the tech game! im tired of always being stuck with louisiana techs and florida a&m's. if you want respect people, you gotta earn respect!

MitchumMan 5 years, 3 months ago

I'm just excited that there are 7 homes games next year despite the KC game. And with the trend of more televised games for KU, looking at a packed Memorial Stadium on tv is a great recruiting tool.

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 3 months ago

I know that players are bigger, faster, stronger today than they were even 30 years ago ( I love watching old games on Classic channels when they talk about “massive” massive lineman weighing 230lbs). However, those players probably had just as big an impact on their teams as Reesing is on his. I give Reesing his due but to say he’s the best ever ignores those players’ achievements given the eras in which they played. Of course, who’s the best is a debate that can never be objectively resolved.

sevenyearhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

There's no denying that Kansas has had great quarterbacks in the past, and the Todd is extraordinary ...

But everyone is overlooking a VERY significant fact:

coaching stability and administrative support / patience

Coach Mangino is beginning his eighth season ... and has more support from his athletic director, better facilities and resources (strength Coach Dawson) and more fan support ... that's right - dollar signs!

Coach Terry Allen had five

Coach Mason had nine, but not nearly the support

Coach Valesente had two

Coach Gottfried had three

Coach Fambrough had four his second stint ...

Did people freak out when Jacque Vaughn, Kirk Hinrich, Mario Chalmers and (eventually) Sherron Collins leave ... no, they expect them to be replaced and for the program to reload.

Someday (hopefully soon) the football program will have these same expectations ...

Rick Arnoldy 5 years, 3 months ago

I’m with you on that, sevenyearhawk. The biggest reasons for KU’s good fortune over the past few years is stability and resources. Seems like if we ever had a good coach we were used as a stepping stone to greener pastures. Why not leave for better resources and pay? Uncle Lew is providing both, now, and he had the patience to stick with Coach Mangino when there was some grumblings before the breakout season. With resources and Coach Mangino, the player pieces will continue to fall in place.

Joe Joseph 5 years, 3 months ago

Is it possible to red-shirt Todd Reesing this season and save him for the next?

LAJayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

At the very least, the 2010 season should be very exciting.

To further sevenyear's point, the excitement is generated from watching who we replace our talented guys with and how they can develop and perform just like we do in basketball (I saw post after post last fall stating how "excited" people were to watch last year's basketball season to see how the team developed). This is the entire point of collegiate athletics. This is precisely what makes it so much fun.

I am a huge Todd Reesing fan. I have his jersey -- in fact, I wore it to the Cubs/Dodgers playoff game last year... and got some great responses. A talent like his is very, very rare. Will the staff be able to replace a guy like that? The odds say no. At the very least it will be extraordinarily hard to do. Will one of the guys -- such as Kale Pick -- be able to step up and carry the load? Who knows.

But I can't wait to see if it happens.

Because that is college athletics.

LAJayhawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Before all that, though, we have a great season ahead of us.

Rock Chalk.

TwistedFish31 5 years, 3 months ago

As for incoming recruits, I believe that Ricki Herod Jr will be someone that KU fans remember for a very long time. This kid (you can see him on theshiver.com) won the MVP for wide receivers at the Nike Elite camp in Dallas. That is huge! He's a quality kid considering majoring in engineering or finance. Rivals isn't even sniffing at this kid for a ranking and Mangino's boys found him and brought him in. These are the kinds of kids that are going to keep KU Football in the national spotlight for years to come!

AtlantaJHawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Catching GA Tech at the wrong time. This is an improving program that could very well win it's division this year. Caoch Johnson will have his third recruiting class next year and everyone will understand his system.

AtlantaJHawk 5 years, 3 months ago

Catching GA Tech at the wrong time. This is an improving program that could very well win it's division this year. Coach Johnson will have his third recruiting class next year and everyone will understand his system.

raefrules15 5 years, 3 months ago

yes yes yes this is just what we need a home game against georgia tech that will probably be on national tv. It will be loud and a great game good schedule mangino!!!

jayhawkboogeyman 5 years, 3 months ago

The new quarterback isn't going to get any better playing chumps like K-State does. If we want to have a national top tier program, we have to play the best teams we can every year and maybe take a few disappointments until we get to the point where we can beat solid non-con and top Big XII opponents. The whole argument is over something that is a year and a half away. Let's just be glad that our coach has gotten our program to the point where we can schedule a team like Georgia Tech and be regarded as a worthy opponent if not a favorite in that game. If we start the 10-11 season 8-1 or 9-0 that is great, and if we lose 3 games to solid opponents but come back stronger the next year with experienced kids who are learning from playing equal or better opponents, even better.
And it's not like we don't have a great season THIS year to be excited about or anything. I would love to see this team beat Oklahoma at home and play for a BIg XII championship. That would be real progress to build on. Making KU a basketball AND football school is no easy task, but I for one think we have the best coach in the country doing it, and I am thrilled that he is lining up the best teams he can get to play us. Keep on working hard and playing the best, and with the growth and character that comes from experiencing a few defeats, we can reach the top level of the sport. By the time Mangino's first decade as coach is up, he will have taken our program from complete joke to nationally competitive, and we can only get there by scheduling tough games. KU all the way