Originally published December 16, 2009 at 01:03a.m., updated December 16, 2009 at 06:34p.m.

KU football assistants on their way out

KU defensive coordinator Clint Bowen celebrates after a first-half defensive stop against Oklahoma on Saturday, Oct. 24, 2009, at Memorial Stadium.

Say this about first-year Kansas University football coach Turner Gill: He works fast.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, Gill is not expected to retain any of the assistant coaches remaining from Mark Mangino's staff, with the possible exception of receivers coach David Beaty.

On Monday, Gill named Chuck Long his offensive coordinator and Carl Torbush as his defensive coordinator, and said he intended to speak with some of the remaining members of the Kansas staff about their potential future with the program.

Among those not expected to return are offensive coordinator Ed Warinner, a finalist for the American Football Coaches Association National Assistant Coach of the Year Award this season, and defensive coordinator Clint Bowen, who played defensive back at Kansas in the mid-1990s and just completed his ninth season with the program.

Other coaches presumed to be let go include linebackers coach/co-defensive coordinator Bill Miller, tight ends coach/recruiting coordinator Brandon Blaney, cornerbacks coach Je'Ney Jackson, defensive line coach Tom Sims, offensive line coach/run-game coordinator John Reagan, running backs coach/special teams coordinator Louie Matsakis and strength and conditioning coach Chris Dawson.

As of Tuesday night, all but Beaty had been removed from the staff directory on the school's Web site.

Gill has officially named Long, Torbush and tight ends/special teams coach Aaron Stamn as members of his staff for next season.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 9 years ago

This will affect recruiting of some guys according to what they themselves have said.

100 9 years ago

Good job Coach Gill -- gotta start it off with guys that fit.

Otherwise you have plumbers trying to be masons...

suttonku 9 years ago

David Beaty should probably keep his job since he did get on the recruiting trail right after Mangino was let go and he kept a lot of the recruits committed to KU considering the circumstances.

LAJayhawk 9 years ago

Longest. Award title. Ever.

KEITHMILES05 9 years ago

KUAC has not updated the job changes under "football." They have "TBA" in the staff directory. Pretty amazing they haven't gone to the "football" site to change as this is where most people will go to view.

Jonathan Briles 9 years ago

I am all for Gill making his own staff but I am sad to see some of those people go. Bowen may not have been the best coach but he was a heck of a guy who I respected and will be very sad to see go. I wish he could have gotten some kind of position coach or something. I also dont like seeing Dawson go. He was a great strength and condition coach. I hope all from the staff land on their feet and find good jobs. They deserve it.

Ryan Richey 9 years ago

I know the "D" wasn't amazing this year. But I wish we could find a spot for Clint Bowen. Lawrence kid, KU player, KU alum, KU coach for all of his career so far...guy is as big of a Jayhawk as it gets. I wish him the best!!! Good luck and I hope you are back on our sidelines in the future.

Doug Merrill 9 years ago

It will be good for Clint Bowen's career (although not for his near term life stability) to get experience at another school. He will be a stronger candidate to move up the ranks and not be dependent upon one particular head coach for his own reputation.

He is a great guy and will do well.

Steve Brown 9 years ago

unfortunate cost of cleaning house to lose some wheat with the chaff, yet part of it if you want to get mostly clean slate & new direction..

escaped_labrat 9 years ago

Wow, I think letting Dawson go is a huge mistake.

KU 9 years ago

Is Dawson really THAT good? Think of all the games this year where we were in the game late in the 3rd quarter--in some cases had 4th quarter leads. At least SOME of our inability to finish those games has to do with strength and conditioning. Gill will probably bring in a guy with NU connections. NU had the country's premier strength and conditioning program for YEARS. We may be better off........

yed 9 years ago

As a fellow LHS and KU alum, I'm sad to see Coach Bowen go. However, you can't argue with results, and his work as DC was did not produce any. Best of luck to the coaches at their next jobs, I'm sure they'll all land on their feet.

Dyrk Dugan 9 years ago

this is not a surprise. new coach, already new coordinators...the position guys knew their time was up.

i would like to see Beaty stay too, only because of Texas high schools. But, Mr. Gill knows Texas like the back of his hand, so that would not be a surprise either if Beaty was let go.

Grissom is key to hold on to...and it sounds like Clark is still on board. We have a great class....i'd like to see it kept and expanded upon. It sounds like our new head coach, is committed to just that.

Jaminrawk 9 years ago

When I saw the headline the only though going through my head was "I hope they kept Beaty". Hopefully Gill does indeed retain Beaty because not only is a he a good position coach (receivers weren't really our problem this year minus a few fumbles and Jonathan Wilson's fear of the ball) but he is definitely a star recruiter. Beaty has great "ins" in Texas and has produced quite a few nice recruits for us.

jayhawkinATL 9 years ago

Thank, God, Bowen is no longer around!!!!!!!!!!

shelleysue 9 years ago

This year was just unexplainable - I don't know what happened all the way around. I think we're all left shaking our heads not knowing what to think.

I think that Dawson has indeed been a good strength and conditioning coach, especially in the early season games. When other players were dropping from the heat, KU players hanging in. I can't explain the 4th quarters this year but I do think he's been a good coach.

I would like to see one or two coaches stay so that the current players and those players who've been recruited have at least some familiarity.

Tribehawk 9 years ago

I'll be very interested to see Gill's first depth chart. I've been very disappointed with the lack of talent that Mangino recruited following our Orange Bowl victory, but now I'm thinking he actually recruited well and was just burying that talent on the bench because of personal issues with the kids. Everything I hear and read indicates that's what Mangino did. I wouldn't be surprised if Gill and the new staff nuked the entire chart. I think we'll have a completely new secondary and DL. Tharp may be the only constant from last season. OL will probably look similar, but I wouldn't be at all surprised seeing some new names at WR--ones we weren't expecting. We have a lot of talent at RB--I wouldn't be surprised to see us go committee back there. It'll be interesting.

kranny 9 years ago

It's coach Gill's show now. You have to bring in your own guys and not stay with what didn't work.

suttonku 9 years ago

jayhawkinatl,

I am with you! Thank God Bowen is gone. I dont care if he played at KU he was horrible. His defense never went for turnovers and I hated the lack of aggressiveness from our defense.

grandpa 9 years ago

Jaminrawk. Wilson had no fear of the ball. The only fear he ever had was not getting the ball thrown to him or where it was going. About 80-90% into the dirt!!Play calling to him was poor . Mostly short passes out in the flat instead of across the middle. He played the entire game every game this past year and was the best blocker of all the receivers. He was also recruited by Beaty and they have a good relationship. With the new coach and new offensive co-ordinator I predict you are going to see a lot more production from Wilson.

bpjhawk 9 years ago

I am also disappointed to hear that Dawson will not be coming back. I thought he worked more at the discretion of the AD instead of the football team. From everything I've heard, Dawson was highly regarded in his field. He basically wrote the specs for the football strength and conditioning center. I will be real curious to see if we can get someone as highly regarded.

mythicalbirdfan 9 years ago

Sounds like grandpa must be Wilson's relation.

Billy Derringer 9 years ago

heres a look at are top five recruites in the last three years

07 top five

Jeremiah Hatch---------------- OC #13 OC 6-3 300 Carter H.S. (TX) Signed
Carmon Boyd-Anderson RB #71 RB 6-0 180 Jacksonville H.S. (TX) Signed
Drew Dudley -------------- ILB #19 ILB 6-2 220 A & M Consolidated High (TX) Signed
Steven Foster --------------- FB #4 FB 6-2 240 Sedgwick H.S. (KS) Signed
Stephen Hoge--------------- K #16 K 6-4 220 Putnam City North H.S. (OK) Signed

08 top five

Darius Parish ---------------- DT #9 DT 6-3 325 North H.S. (KS) Signed
Daymond Patterson------------ WR #55 WR 5-8 165 North Mesquite H.S. (TX) Signed
Sean Ransburg ------------- ATH #36 ATH 6-0 197 Harrisonville H.S. (MO) Signed
Tanner Hawkinson------------- TE #29 TE 6-6 230 McPherson H.S. (KS) Signed
Trevor Marrongell-------------i OG #32 OG 6-4 280 Westwood H.S. (TX) Signed

09 top five

Prinz Kand------------------ S #45 S 5-11 182 Trinity H.S. (TX) Signed
Huldon Tharp ------------- ATH #68 ATH 6-1 208 Mulvane H.S. (KS) Signed
Darian kelly------------------------S #58 S 6-2 185 Girard H.S. (KS) Signed
Riley Spencer ------------- OG #41 OG 6-6 254 Hesston H.S. (KS) Signed
Deshaun Sands -------------- RB #67 RB 5-9 175 Monarch H.S. (FL) Signed

i think its safe to say that of the top 15 guys in the last three years more than half of them was not in the mix i dont know what this means but surly this is not a tread i wanted to stay with so i agree with you TRIBEHAWK maybe mangino did bury some of are more upper tier kids coming out....hope gill does a better job of making the upper tier recruites live up to the hype coming in sorta say.......

Kent Wells 9 years ago

KU - remember, that defense played a lot of minutes the last 1/2 of the season because of the offensive problems. I don't know what strength coach could prepare them for being on the field as much as they were.

TrueBlue92 9 years ago

gotta agree with grandpa on this one -- Wilson has the talent. It's just that this year he was mostly the 3rd (i.e. late/last) option which doesn't always get the clean throw.

I also look for big things for him this upcoming season.

Dennis Mahorney 9 years ago

Sad to read the names of those coaches leaving.Thanks for the hard work. You will always be Jayhawks. I have watched Geneo Grissom play for years. Coach Gill, LSU is throwing multiple coaches down here lavishing love on Him, and telling Him He is thier #1 defensive recruit....Hutchinson is rivals #18, and masseys #1 team in the nation in no small part because of Him.I cant begin to tell you how sorry we will be to lose this 4 star DE. and folks, He really should be a 5....He is already 6"4 230lbs...his speed gave Oklahoma's future QB nightmares. He is under rated, and we need to put a fence around him quick.

Jaminrawk 9 years ago

It was more of a joke about Wilson than anythng. But I had a running joke with my buddies that Jon Wilson would drop one easy pass every game and he always did.

55jayhawk 9 years ago

I know coaching is a brutal job to have as you are either a hero or a boob. I agree with KanFan27 and all others that voiced their concerns on losing certain coaches like Bowen & Dawson! When you have a defensive back or safety like we had for 3 years that covered 3 positions at the same time, your secondary looks real good. I've said it before, you can only play defense so long before running out of gas no matter how good the coach and strength coach is! Bowen did not have the talent we had last year and I think he did the best he could with what MM told him he could do or what players were going to play. Beatty needs to stay also as I have talked to him about recruits from Texas many times and he can pick some good ones but Warinner also got us some good recruits including this year. If all these coaches get canned, I wish the best for them as they did their best with what talent they had and what MM would let them or tell them to do. Good luck to you coaches who don't make the cut, you did me proud & I wish you much success in the future.

KU 9 years ago

kuwells......True, our defense was on the field a lot late in games. But what if part of the reason they were on the field so much was that they couldn't get stops because they were out-conditioned and out-strengthed? That's got to play at least some part.

chalky.....You are right, Grissom should be the cornerstone of this recruiting class. We can't afford to let him go.

Wilson was a horrible blocker. I can't tell you how many times on WR screens I lamented "if Wilson would have blocked his man, that would have been a big play." Hands down, Meier was our best receiver at blocking. He was just tenacious and never let his guy off a block. Next would be Briscoe, who despite the star-power, never failed to impress me that he tried really hard at blocking. Wilson may have been a better blocker than #24 (can't remember his name), but only because #24 was a freshman.

Jhawk59 9 years ago

Dawson did not design the center by himself. One of the former assistants plus some outside sources planned a big part of it.

dtownhawkfan 9 years ago

Beaty had better stay. He is a great recruiter

Jim Jackson 9 years ago

KU.. You are spot on. You know your S*&# ....Meier was deinitely our best blocker and was real strong too. Beaty is the best recruiter he is the only one that should be retained. He's got a lot of TX connections.

Dennis Mahorney 9 years ago

I am reposting this from another page. A little more info----( Geneo Grissom.He is very underated as a 4 star. I have watched him for years. He is listed as a DE, but was moved all over the field. He made Hutch a powerful defensive team, making every good lineman very good.Taking doubleteams, and defeating them, was his strong point. 6' 4 230lbs, and growing. Quick, very fast, and powerful. A poor mans Demarcus Ware. Comparisons are never truly fair to anyone I know, but we will regret this for four years if LSU gets what they say is thier # 1 defensive prospect. They are laying the recent National title stuff on the young man pretty hard. The local paper here has him saying how this is impressive to him. They are sending multiple coaches to him. I can feel the love from LSU, and im not even the one being recruited. Pretty heady stuff for a young man... The KU player He most reminds me of is Warner, from about 6 years ago. Dont let us lose this one.....Gill)

shelleysue 9 years ago

Geneo - You may be getting that LSU love now, but you will not get the love every Saturday anywhere as much as you will get it right here in Kansas. We want you in Lawrence to lead our defense. I like it... Salthawk to Jayhawk. Rock Chalk!!

Kent Wells 9 years ago

KU - Reasonable counter argument. I guess I would just say that in my own opinion, they were probably strong enough to get the job done, it was more of an issue related to poor offense and poor coaching of fundamentals. Mangino stepping up his contact time with the hawks on the field must mean someting. He didn't increase his time watching them lift weights. In fact, there is plenty of evidence that Mangino never saw the weight room (sorry, bad joke). Also, the large number of games with 4th quarter leads that became 4th quarter losses tends to indicate they were getting worn down. Otherwise, they would have been getting killed right after kickoff. Hell, I don't know.

24 was McDougald

jhokfan 9 years ago

Not surprising but I was hoping Beatty and Bowen would remain on staff in some capacity.

thmdmph 9 years ago

Anybody know what Ed Warinner's plans are? It seemed like whether MM stay or go, he wasn't in the picture much.

jayhawkinATL 9 years ago

Yeah, I would let Bowen manage the cord of Torbush's headset!!!

pburgstu 9 years ago

Darrian Kelly isn't even a FB player any more he is on Pitt State's Basketball roster

Christopher Johnson 9 years ago

Wow, I still almost have seizures when I try to understand Derringer's posts. Holy crap.

Christopher Johnson 9 years ago

Bowen's defenses were horrible. You don't keep a guy on staff who does a poor job whether he has ties to the university or not. If you want to keep him on campus, give him some kind of adminstrative job. His niche certainly isn't in coaching.

chicagoeddie 9 years ago

beaty is out! clean slate for Gill

Steve Brown 9 years ago

somebody buy Gill a condo in Hutch if they have condos.

yep Clean slate sorry to say but yes, clean slate.

1. keep current players motivated and on their finals & grades
  2. keep current recruits
  3. get new recruits
  4. steal an LSU recruit

who has most to fear with Gill success, pelini in some ways, he has to validate NU: isn't he LSU guy didnt he take one of our assitants last year- somethins fishy in Hutchinson.

suttonku 9 years ago

This goes on everywhere...Coaches should be able to have their own staff and if Gill wants to fire everyone then that is his right. I trust Gill and I think he will do great things at KU. I really only for sure wanted Warinner and Bowen gone but I am certainly ok with all gone, although I feel as though Beaty got the short end of the stick.

Kent Wells 9 years ago

Sorry guys, but you all seem to know that Beaty is gone? How the hell do you know this. Go slow. I graduated with a BS degree in rocks from KU.

Shows he is still on the staff. Of course it still shows Tommy Mangino too...

Whats up?

temjay 9 years ago

The only thing KU's defense could do consistently well this year was give up fourth quarter leads with almost no resistance.

Coaches had guys switching positions deep into the year. They had to dumb it down and the defense still didn't work. And worst of all, we went from 23 interceptions in 2007 to 15 in '08 to 7 this year. Pathetic.

We definitely shoudn't be sorry to see these coaches go.

Coach Gill, good luck on this one. If you have an ounce of magic in you, let it go to this side of the ball.

suttonku 9 years ago

kuwells, I got an update on twitter from kuathletics saying that Beaty had been fired. Also, Crawford, Vernon Brooks, and Quigley all want to return next season to play for coach Gill. Crawford has the most potential but we shall see.

shelleysue 9 years ago

I totally understand the thinking in starting from a clean slate but for transition purposes I was hoping one or two would stay on board. I also think a couple of them really do deserve to still have a job at KU. But what's done is done. I just hope we see a killer coaching staff come 2010.

lewstinks 9 years ago

It's about time Bowen gets the boot!! Terrible coach. Don't need supposedly "nice guys" with no guts on the sidelines!

vmwskywalk 9 years ago

How many of our former recruits/players did Mangino RUNN OFT anyway?

Kent Wells 8 years, 12 months ago

sutton: cool. Thanks! I see there is an article posted here too.

Dude, you said "twitter". Huuuh, huuuh, huuuh. (Sorry)

Layne Pierce 8 years, 12 months ago

The President, the Governor, the new CEO, they all have the prerogrative of starting over to put their people and their plan into motion.

This is a very important test for Turner Gill, he said "a staff second to none", and we will see. I hope and pray that Lew is prepared to pay to keep and acquire such a staff.

I am sorry, however, to say that there were too many breakdowns last year, and even if Mangino had stayed, many of us would have been calling for changes in staff personnel.

Think of field position from poor kickoff and punt reutrns and their coverage, for starters, think about wide receivers who could not or would not block. That is one change I predict you will see in recruiting, the ability of wide receivers to block down field.

Just for the fun of it, try and justify coaches to be kept based on performance, you cannot come up with many.