Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Virginia prep Lamb to visit for Late Night

Doron Lamb, a 6-foot-4 senior shooting guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., will make an official recruiting visit to Kansas University for the Oct. 16 Late Night in the Phog, Rivals.com reports.

Lamb is also considering Kentucky, Oklahoma and many others.

Other seniors to visit for Late Night: Royce Woolridge, 6-3, combo guard, Sunnyslope High, Phoenix, who has orally committed to KU; and Brandon Knight, 6-3, point guard, Pine Crest High, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Also attending: Josiah Turner, 6-3 junior shooting guard from Sacramento (Calif.) High, and J.P. Tokoto, 6-5, sophomore small forward, Menomonee Falls (Wis.) High.

Comments

KU1992 10 years, 5 months ago

oh boy. we are racking up the visits. Now we all need to just do our parts and be as loud as possible once Oct. 16 rolls around.

suttonku 10 years, 5 months ago

The longer this goes with Lamb the more and more Im thinking we are gonna get him...Knight is kind of a wild card...I would say if we get Payne then we will get either Knight or Lamb.

mjlindsm 10 years, 5 months ago

I know you can only tell so much from the highlight videos, but I'm completely unimpressed with Doron Lamb, if I were to think that those videos are indicative of ability. He doesn't seem to be athletic nor quick. He looks like Lacedarius Dunn. Catches ball. Maybe dribbles ball a little, maybe not. Shoots ball. Dunn's not a bad player, but he's not a Kansas-type talent in my opinion.

But hey, the recruiting experts I'm sure know more than me. But if he comes here and doesn't pan out, you heard it here first. And if he comes here and is awesome, I never said any of this :).

Jonathan Andrews 10 years, 5 months ago

I don't know enough about Lamb, but I'd love to have a Lace Dunn type on our team. Go Self! Go KU!

Andy Hess 10 years, 5 months ago

not to nitpick, but he's not from Virginia. He's from New York City. He just happens to go to school in Virginia. nonetheless, it's really great to hear that we're getting a visit from him. he was supposedly "locked up" to commit to Kentucky after a visit there. looks like plans changed.

twhit999 10 years, 5 months ago

Actually, this is a little premature. An ESPN blurb where they interviews Lamb yesterday and he didn't mention visiting KU at all. Kentucky is the only team he specifically says with the word visit connected to it. Rivals, shocking!, reported that his high school coach THINKS that he will visit then.

Chris Shaw 10 years, 5 months ago

Continued from yesterday.......I think this is great! I was thinking about what I posted yesterday and with Mario Little, Collins, and Aldrich for sure departing, X and Taylor with a good possibility I could see us having this recruiting class. I did forget about the Payne kid from yesterday so thank you to those who brought him to my attention.

1)Combo Guard Machine-Woolridge 2)Combo Guard Machine-Lamb 3)Point Guard USA-Knight, Selby, Joseph, Jackson, or McCallum 4)Post and Big-Payne or Cothron 5) Big Wing/Slasher-Barnes or Terrance Jones

All I have to say is Wow! If all 5 above leave including X and Taylor then I think have we have a real shot at the 5 incoming groups listed. We shall see, but I think Lamb after Woolridge is the next who will commit. We shall see. Fun stuff though.

Jaminrawk 10 years, 5 months ago

Royce Wooldridge, Harrison Barnes, Brandon Knight and Adrein Payne. A fan can dream right? Honestly, any recruits that commit with Bill seem to pan out these days. We don't bust as much as other teams do and I believe it is because Self's system and coaching style makes these guys better than they ever could have imagined. Cal may send guys to the NBA, but outside of Rose and Camby (the cheaters) none of them make impacts. On the other hand, Self has recruited and coached: Deron Williams, Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Darrell Arthur and Luther Head who are all solid contributors (or stars in the case of Williams and Chalmers) on their teams. I honestly respect the players who choose teams like UNC and UCLA over any teams Cal coaches.

Justin Anderson 10 years, 5 months ago

HEY MJLINDSM, what is the purpose of your post? Are you trying to drive the kid away? First, you are not talented enough of a scout to make judgements like that especially on a 9 minute highlight reel, second, keep in mind that this kid is 17 or so years old, how would you, if you were him, like to read in the "hometown" newspaper of a school you were thinking about attending that you arent "athletic or quick"(you are probably some MU or OU poster trying to sabotage recruitment). Finally you say all these comments and then say "the experts know more than me". Right.....so why don't you stop talking? Put your brain in gear before you put your fingers in motion.

RockChalkGuy 10 years, 5 months ago

I know I've scratched the surface on this topic before, but I'm trying to get clarification about the Late Night event. It's listed as being on October 16. I've always been under the impression that it starts at midnight. Does this mean that it starts at 12am on October 16, which would require you to actually start lining up on the 15th?

Joe Baker 10 years, 5 months ago

kushaw- The rambling hillbillies of Kenpucky seem to believe they have Knight and Payne in the bag. I'm sure Calasleazy is up to his old bag of tricks!!

Woolridge is a done deal. Lamb seems to be a good lock. Jackson and McCallum are likely solid. Cothron b4 Payne possibility. Barnes is the biggest of this group, but Jones is no slouch either. I'm really concerned about Barnes b/c I really want him in crimson/blue. But, the longer he delays his choice the more I'm convinced he goes to UNC or maybe Duke. I hope I'm totally wrong on Barnes.

truefan 10 years, 5 months ago

I agree Jaminrawk, but you forgot to mention that Brandon Rush has cracked the starting line up for the Pacers next season and will have a major impact on the success of that team. Not to mention Julian Wright who is starting to make big strides in the NBA and has already had some highlight reels on ESPN. And all of this without mentioning that Bill Self took two players (Sasha Kaun and Darnell Jackson) who didn't start playing until high school, and made them fit for the NBA draft...AMAZING! I haven't heard much about Arthur however, I think he'll start to make more of an impact this season or the next.

Rick Arnoldy 10 years, 5 months ago

RockChalkGuy, I think the NCAA changed the rules a couple of years ago so that the first day of practice falls on a weekend (putting it on a Friday night this year) and that time falls in the evening rather than midnight.

Joel Hood 10 years, 5 months ago

RockChalkGuy & ohioburg - the NCAA changed the first practice rule to the third Friday of October. Several years ago it was changed to the third Saturday, so the practice would always be on the weekend to help prevent kids from staying out so late on school nights. In fact now, "Late Night" is a misnomer because the actual practice can now start around 9:00 p.m. on that Friday night (it might be earlier than that by NCAA rules, but that is about the actual time the “practice” begins for Late Night in the Phog.)

KUbsee69 10 years, 5 months ago

Since 2005, "Late" Night has been scheduled to begin around 6:30 p.m. and end at 9:30 p.m. It typically runs just a little over that.

kujayhawk34 10 years, 5 months ago

This class of 2010, in my opinion, just isn't very good. Outside of Barnes and maybe knight, it really lacks star power and doesn't have the "wow" prospect. However, the guys we're recruiting are all in the top 40 in the country which is awesome.

RockChalkGuy 10 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the info about Late Night. I'm glad I took the whole day off. It will be a great day to soak up some Mass St. suds.

Dirk Medema 10 years, 5 months ago

It's always good to get recruits to late night. The associated success rate is fabulous. I think ESPN wrote an article about it a year or so ago. I believe some big schools even changed their openings so that they wouldn't have to go head to head with us.

Too bad the football team is in CO that weekend and an't host any at the same event. It's a different sport, but it can't help to show fan support with the understanding that Mangino and staff are building a tradition in FB just like the legacy that already exists in BB.

Anyone our current coaches are recruiting, is a player I am happy to have on the team.

100 10 years, 5 months ago

swishymcjayhawk,

Believe me if you took a visit to Lexington your plans would quickly change too...

Probably the ugliest campus on either side of the Mississippi.

suttonku 10 years, 5 months ago

Agreed that campus is just terrible but you might be able to get Calipari to fund your trip to get out there...I dont understand the knock on Deron Lamb...he is good hes just not a powerhouse scorer...I would definitely rather have Knight but Lamb is very good and I would be excited to get him...hes a lot quicker than Woolridge just not the scorer that Woolridge...It would be a nice balance to have Woolridge and Lamb on the same court...I think Lamb is a guy that can get you a few buckets but hes a smart player that can really pass the ball.

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

Dear Lamb Chop,

The look on ol'Roy's face... 9 minutes into the game (2:39 in the video). He knew this was coming. He dreaded it, but he knew this day would come.

You can't make the maker. You can't reap the reaper.

"You came to Kansas, to play in this game". -Bill Self (27sec. in)

It's like scripture! And everything you do here could be like that.

KGphoto 10 years, 5 months ago

Oh. I forgot to mention the twisted mess Roy's gut must've been when KU fans started the Rock Chalk chant with about 2 minutes to go. I'd love to talk to him about that.

For 14 years it's your bagman. Then it punches you in the face.

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

Jaminrawk,

"Royce Wooldridge, Harrison Barnes, Brandon Knight and Adrein Payne. A fan can dream right?"

That would be almost as good as this year's in-coming class. :-)

This is no longer dreaming under Bill Self.

This sort of class is reality.

jaybate 10 years, 5 months ago

jaybate news service: Bulletin...

CDC in Atlanta announces that KU players and fans may require special vaccinations, when KU meets Memphis this season.

Dr. Jan von Rhesus, CDC pandemiologist, indicates 12 cases of slime-flu have already been reported among players and coaching staffs on both the Memphis and Contucky basketball programs in only the first week of school.

Slime-flu is not lethal, but it does leave teams unable to avoid forfeiting wins in the future, because a very high fever associated with the infection tends to make players and coaches begin to believe players do not need to take their own SATs.

CDC is studying potential carriers John Calipari and Josh Pastner closely and may recommend the NCAA quarantine them sometime later this season.

Developing...

Note: Almost none of this is true.

100 10 years, 5 months ago

Great stuff Jaybate....

All of this Calipari stuff is still funny (or deeply disturbing depending on how you look at it). You've heard me stretch an educated guess into a certainty about what the NCAA is doing right now behind closed doors on Calipari & you've heard me rail on about what/ how Memphis is preparing in their NCAA challenge attempt to publicize what Calipari really did & who he used to get it done, etc.... so I won't go there... at least I don't think I will...

What has been avoided in all of this has been what the Kentucky AD & President have been saying, which to me says volumes about what Calipari knew... "He says he wants us to keep the banners he wins here, and he needs help from us to make sure we don't get in trouble."

Huh? Could you say that again, Mr. President? Oh, you mean you're talking about the guy you hired & payed 20 million more than he was worth because he was about to embarrass the entire city of Memphis nationally by bringing in and playing players that were barely able to graduate the 8th grade?

Or is he talking about three banners from 1948,49 & '51 that the NCAA is still considering taking away for the point shaving scandal (God knows teams couldn't keep their trophy nowdays if they were making money in Vegas on championship games).

What's he saying -- did he not have any help in Memphis? Seriously if I was in the Memphis AD office, I wouldn't hold back during the slime challenge -- call Calipari out for what he & Wes did as a team & don't be ashamed-- slimers -- I think Memphis didn't want to believe it for awhile, but now that he's done this to them they have to call him out & slide on out of Indy.