Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Cats talkative

Chatty K-Staters provide a little bulletin-board material

Kansas shakes off Texas Tech woes

The 63-21 loss to Texas Tech this past Saturday was KU's most lopsided loss since falling at Texas by 52 in 2005.

— To hear Kansas State receiver/punt returner Deon Murphy tell it, Kansas University coach Mark Mangino very well could be second-guessing his abilities as a recruiter come Saturday.

Asked Monday whether he thought the Jayhawks, who have struggled with their pass-rush this season, regretted not pursuing Wildcats All-Big 12 defensive end Ian Campbell out of high school, Murphy smiled.

"They're probably going to wish they recruited this whole team the way we're gonna play this weekend," Murphy said.

If college football games were won with words, Kansas' 11:30 a.m. matchup with rival Kansas State on Saturday at Memorial Stadium would have ended approximately 2 p.m. Monday. That's about the time the sparks had stopped flying during an animated hour of player interviews conducted in the Wildcats' football complex.

While Kansas has built a reputation for remaining tight-lipped in an effort to limit pre-game bulletin-board fodder - following their victory over Colorado, players were instructed not to speak to the press about the following week's opponent, Oklahoma - they apparently take a different approach down the road in Manhattan.

For instance: What comes to your mind when you think of KU, Wildcats sophomore center Zach Kendall was asked.

"Well, I mean, a lot," Kendall replied.

Could you be more specific?

"Hate," he said. "For lack of a better word."

Later, asked why he felt Kansas State had the better football program, Kendall said, "Heart. I feel like we have more heart."

The most colorful comments of the day, however, came from Murphy, the Big 12 offensive newcomer of the year and an honorable mention All-American punt returner in 2007.

On his duties as a punt and/or kick returner this week: "I'm taking one to the crib this weekend, that's the bottom line."

On what Kansas can expect from the Wildcats' receivers: "They've got a lot to look forward to out of K-State's receiving corps this weekend."

On what Campbell has been saying about Kansas in the days leading up to this weekend's game: "If all these (microphones) had (bleepers) on them, I'd say the words I want to say. But I don't know, you'd have to ask him."

The Wildcats' passion entering Saturday's game is understandable. A victory over Kansas would be a big step forward in becoming bowl-eligible. The Wildcats need two more victories to do so; Kansas needs one.

And after the Jayhawks' 30-24 victory in Manhattan last year, snapping an eight-game road losing streak against the Wildcats, Kansas State's players admittedly have been eyeing this game for some time.

Immediately after falling, 58-35, to fourth-ranked Oklahoma last weekend, for example, the Wildcats broke their postgame huddle by yelling "Beat KU" in unison. A board in the team's locker room featured a similar message this summer. And the "countdown clock" located in the team's training facility, which counts down the hours until the team's up-coming game, featured a countdown to the KU game throughout the summer.

"We'll just say that the two teams don't like each other," said Kansas State quarterback Josh Freeman, who, along with Campbell, was a bit more conservative with his comments.

Comments

Machawk 5 years, 11 months ago

I don't know how we can be 1-9 in recent years when we have won 3 out of the last 4 years. Regardless, we need to match their intensity on the field and in the stands.

Ryan Gerstner 5 years, 11 months ago

Apparently FlaHawk hasn't been to a KU game in a few years.This is just like K-State and their whole university.....they're always flapping their gums about how great they are and then after we beat them, they go sulking back home with their tail between their legs. Anyone that missed the KU win in Manhattan last year missed one of the best experiences ever. That whole stadium was sure they were just going to beat the heck out of KU.Anyway, hopefully the Hawks show up to play this week because I don't know if I can take another effort like they had last weekend.

shelleysue 5 years, 11 months ago

I for one have always cheered KSU teams. The football team has over the years had several players from my hometown, the women's basketball team always has a lot of Kansas players, and simply, they're a Kansas team! I have had no problem at the thought that people would say "Kansas teams sure are dominating!" That all ended last year however when at the very moment they just got their butts whooped by Missouri, they joined Missouri players and fans in the "Beat KU" chant. Seriously - I was very disappointed. I realize I should have expected something on that level from them though. I have always said the in state "rivalry" has always meant more to KSU fans than to KU fans. Missouri. That's who I hate. And Merg 311 is totally correct. Last year a HUGE KSU fan told me a good KSU football season meant absolutely nothing if they couldn't beat KU. You know, on Saturday I said Hey, it's hard to feel bad about this game. Next year at this time they will not be able to say "We're BSC AND National Champions!!!" I don't see K-State EVER being able to say that!!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

actorman 5 years, 11 months ago

Excuse me, I mean KSUck fans and, clearly, players. Oh yeah, and coaches -- to hell with it, let's just say those who "attend" KSUck.

optichawk 5 years, 11 months ago

MVJ, you have a point. If KU starts well it has a better chance to end well. We haven't taken the momentum from that awesome locker room those guys come out of and apply it in the 1st Qtr. Its 4 Qtrs baby... no way KSU will stay close against a D that has a lot to prove from last week. Best post of the day, Dallashawk...keep up the good work.

5 years, 11 months ago

slantrox et al - the next time FlaHawk attempts to re-read what he just typed or uses a spell-check prior to posting will be the first time.I was kind of hoping Willie would be back on here this year talking trash prior to this weekend's game. Perhaps he gave up on sports. It is nice to see the KSU players providing our team with some bulletin board material however. I am not real big on the Waterboy kickoff chant, but it would sure evoke immeasurable pleasure to watch our players acquaint Deon Murphy with Sudden AstroPlay Impact Syndrome.

John Mueller 5 years, 11 months ago

I have been a jayhawk since birth. I grew up in Dodge City.My whole family went to K-State. They been hatin on the Hawks my entire life.It's kind of sad really because during the Snyder hayday, I watched their bowl teams and was excited for their success.It's a deep seeded inferiority complex caused by Ellis Rainsberger and it will never, ever go away.Go Jayhawks.PS Stop the profanity, it makes KU fans take on a strong resemblance to K-State fans.

Trobs 5 years, 11 months ago

Didn't you know that 80% of all statistics are made up?

railer1122 5 years, 11 months ago

These guys talk every year. We are their BIG rival, but they really aren't ours. Missouri is for sure our huge rival. K-State players don't shut up the whole week leading up to this game. They just run their mouth.

Seth Peattie 5 years, 11 months ago

TODAY'S QUESTION:Should Kansas State SUCK IT?TODAY'S ANSWER:Yes, SUCK IT!!!!!!!!!!!

actorman 5 years, 11 months ago

"FlaHawk, could your re-write your comment so it makes some sense?"Why should he start now? The man's "command" of the English language makes GW look like a Rhodes Scholar."I would simply say 'we greatly respect the program that Bill Snyder built.' It stays above-board, let subtly states that KSU is a has-been."Brilliant!"Manhattan... It's not where we dump our trash, it's where we educate it."I don't think there's ever been a more definitive statement about KSUck fans.

Lance Hobson 5 years, 11 months ago

Ron Prince is a moron. No kidding. That's why his assistants keep leaving for lesser jobs. KState should get rid of him before they get in hole bigger than the pre-Snyder days.

DallasHawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Manhattan... It's not where we dump our trash, it's where we educate it. That about sums up this article.

Dyrk Dugan 5 years, 11 months ago

it doesn't mean a hoot what anybody says. if this fires up KU players then fine. but our focus should be in in playing good, fast, physical, smart football. and frankly, in all of our Big 12 games this year, we haven't completely done that. So if that becomes our focus, we'll be OK....because i think we're still a better team than KSU. but let's show it to 'em, on Saturday...right from the start. Go Jayhawks!

FlaHawk 5 years, 11 months ago

KU's 1-9 recent record against KSU and a porous defense does ot make KU a heavy weiight in this game. Luckily, it is in Lawrence or I think KSU would have the point spread.

birdogs 5 years, 11 months ago

I believe 66-36-5 says enough I think that is our w's and L's against the kitties. Heck I will be dead before they ever catch up, which will never happen

KUbsee69 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm afraid that Kendall misunderstood when Prince discussed heart with the mildcats. I hear the discussion took place at a team dinner and he was referring to what they were eating, after the team's cook had gone dumpster diving behind the KSU vet school's anatomy lab :)

merg311 5 years, 11 months ago

"A board in the team's locker room featured a similar message this summer. And the "countdown clock" located in the team's training facility, which counts down the hours until the team's up-coming game, featured a countdown to the KU game throughout the summer."Further proving the theory that KU is KSU's "Super Bowl". KSU's entire season rests on this 1 game. If KSU were to go 1-11 but the 1 win was against KU, they would consider the season a success. Pretty sad!KU rolls this weekend! Rock Chalk!

NH_JHawk 5 years, 11 months ago

Brilliant, just brilliant. Gives us even more incentive to go out and win this game and become bowl eligible. Stay classy Jayhawk fans, this is where we earn our reputation of being the pride of Kansas!

Rivethead 5 years, 11 months ago

Code you might want to go search the KUSports.com football forum for some stats. Fact is, when comparing the same opponents (CU, OU, TT) KSU and KU have almost identical stats.KU can't play awful against KSU and win.

slantrox 5 years, 11 months ago

FlaHawk, could your re-write your comment so it makes some sense?

whitechocolate 5 years, 11 months ago

2004: KU 31 KSU 28 2005: KSU 12 KU 3 2006: KU 39 KSU 202007: KU 30 KSU 24FlaHawk, by my count, KU has won three of the last four. Where are your stats coming from?

KU 5 years, 11 months ago

If I were a player or coach and I happened to be interviewed about KSU, I would simply say "we greatly respect the program that Bill Snyder built." It stays above-board, let subtly states that KSU is a has-been.

Cody Stumma 5 years, 11 months ago

The sky is looking sunny with a 99% chance that KU's gonna have a field day with KSU...Ron Prince is making himself look like a fool... shoving that bulls**t fairy dream of beating KU this year (hell we can play awful against them and still pull of a good victory), their defense (and offense) suck too much.I feel sorry for the KU band... they're gonna get sick of playing that touchdown song after this game...

KUbsee69 5 years, 11 months ago

A wise old native american once said "judge me not by the thunder of my words but by the lightning in my actions".Go Hawks ... bring lots of lightning!

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 11 months ago

I too have routed for KSU as it is a Kansas team. I have never quite understood the dislike of KU by KSU fans. And it is true, that it is more of a rivalry in the minds of K-State fans than it is KU fans. That fact drives them crazy. Mizzu is the real KU rival. I suppose that a lot of it is traditionally KSU has not been very good. A tradition of being in the Bottom 10. A good season would be beating one or two non-conference games and Iowa State. A great season was beating KU too and finishing 5-6. Also KU has been to the Orange Bowl when it was the old Big 8 conference, something KSU never did and still has never done. Finally, KU is a beautiful campus. What a great place to watch a football game! There are bigger stadiums, more storied programs, and shiny new stadiums but I would take Memorial stadium over any football stadium in the country. Then there is Gayle Sawyers, John Hadl, John Riggins and KU's basketball tradition. Yeah, it is simple jealousy I think.

jhawker_87 5 years, 11 months ago

There is a deep seeded little brother effect going on here..KSu is the annoying little brother that constantly makes noise, tugs on our shirt, and invariably beats us every once in awhile, and then reminds us for years and years. This was very clear when Beasley and Walker managed to hit every shot they looked at in Manhattan last year, and went on to win and then talked huge smack before the game in Lawrence....result: we killed them in the Fieldhouse and won a National Championship. Little brother is making noise again ("i'm taking one to the crib") and KU will win by two TD's and the cats will have trouble becoming bowl eligible.. leading to some coach shopping at the end of the year.

KUbsee69 5 years, 11 months ago

txrockchalk is wondering where Willie is this year. Well, I think maybe he graduated from KSU last spring and they probably don't have a PC at the McDonald's he's upsizing orders at.Remember, the most common phrase spoken by a KSU grad is "do you want fries with that?".

Mr_Sandman 5 years, 11 months ago

I have never and will never cheer for anything K-Suck and this article just proves why. K-State always has been and always will be jealous of the Hawks and they will probably never win a Men's BB or FB national title while I am alive, if ever. I wish nothing but bad things for the kitties because their fans do the same for the Hawks. There is no need to discuss taking the high ground when it comes to this rivalry, if you are a KU fan you are inherently higher up than a K-State fan.

Hawkish4bigM 5 years, 11 months ago

Condescending is what works best with K-State people. When they talk about an in-state rivalry, you say "I did not realize that the connection with Butler Co. went beyond recruiting their players." And really, when did KU ever talk about getting rid of football? I don't even think Iowa State had that discussion. KSU sure did. By the way, do they have basketball yet? Really, it is a nice little school. And if you want to watch animals mate, there is no better place.

joedavis 5 years, 11 months ago

Time to bring out the Orange Bowl trophy on Saturday....

kansas22 5 years, 11 months ago

I just hope our secondary at least half way shows up. The only way we lose this game is if our D plays like it did against Tech and Freeman has a career day, which is very possible. Todd will improve from his last performance and hopefully we learn to give Sharp the ball because KSU's run D is almost as bad as we are against the pass. This will be a really close game in my opinion and hopefully the Jayhawk faithful come out in herds and we're able to get loud. Rock Chalk, see you all Saturday morning!