Saturday, August 16, 2008

Self prepares for Canada

The first day of school will be tougher than usual for Kansas University's men's basketball players this year.

The 2008-09 Jayhawks on Thursday not only will attend class, but also begin pre-Canada trip training camp.

The Jayhawks will practice Aug. 21-28 before flying to Ottawa, Ontario, Aug. 29 for exhibition games against McGill University and Carleton University on Aug. 30 and University of Ottawa on Aug. 31.

"They will be shellshocked," KU coach Bill Self said, referring to seven newcomers as well as eight returnees from last year's national title team.

"We plan to practice twice a day several days because we will not be in great shape. Rather than go long once, I'd rather go short twice and do as much teaching as we can so we'll be more prepared to practice come Oct. 17. That's my concern, that the guys are prepared for practice."

KU, by the way, could practice 10 days in accordance with NCAA rules. Self, however, will not open camp two days before the start of school because the seven newcomers are not allowed to practice until classes have begun. Only the eight returnees would be allowed in those practices.

"I would say the goal is first and foremost to develop a mindset and work ethic we'll use on a daily basis - to develop a responsibility and understanding of how we do things," Self said. "They'll learn 'We go at it this speed daily.'''

Self will use different combinations in the exhibition games.

"We'll play everybody," Self said. "You always try to win, but I will not put that as the sole objective.

"The objective will be to get guys experience for the season."

¢ Self on twins: Self said he expects to soon learn that freshmen Marcus and Markieff Morris are eligible to play this season.

"It has been a process. We do not anticipate a problem," Self said Friday. "They (NCAA clearinghouse officials) have received all the final documents. Hopefully we'll be hearing something soon. The delay has nothing to do with the eligibility center, just the timing (of when) they received all the final documents."

Generally the clearinghouse is swamped with eligibility requests this time of year.

¢ Collins to play some: Self hopes guard Sherron Collins, who had arthroscopic knee surgery on April 22, will be able to practice "limited reps" at the pre-Canada workouts.

"If we can use him 50 percent of the time I'd be happy," said Self, who plans on limiting Collins' minutes in Canada.

Comments

mlbowers 11 years, 3 months ago

is there an online radio station that will broadcast this game?

jakejayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

I wish I could afford to follow the Hawks on this trip. Besides the natural beauty of the area and the warmth of the people, this is the birthplace of James Naismith. His first degree came from McGill. How cool is it for the legacy of what he started to be playing the game he invented where his early years were spent? I hope the players and coaches know about this and take a little extra pride in representing Kansas Basketball.

11 years, 3 months ago

Couldn't find the game times, but I found the following:"KU's three exhibition games in Canada (McGill University and Carleton University on Aug. 30 and Ottawa University on Aug. 31) will only be available on the Jayhawk radio network."From:http://www2.kusports.com/news/2008/ju...

utahjayhawk 11 years, 3 months ago

fan....I thought I had heard that they wouldn't be televised. We've got to get some info on at least an audio feed with Bob and Pipes for these games.

KU 11 years, 3 months ago

God love Max, but isn't Chris Piper just an incredible addition to the radio team?

KU 11 years, 3 months ago

Jake......SWEET note about Naismith. I didn't realize that! Awesome.

ralsterKUMed95 11 years, 3 months ago

Early part of the season, I expect Cole, Sherron, and maybe Reed to show us something, along with Mario Little, a tough do-it-all, 6'5" 2,3,4-position player who is physically more mature (older), and a very high-rated juco player (translate juco=tough, physical basketbrawl..) who could contribute early, often, and from the looks of things--with brutal authority. He is saying all the right things also. Hopefully by January-Feb, we find out which freshmen can contribute something reliable enough to count on going into the late season and March. Sit back and enjoy Bill Self craft the next chapter in his own growing legacy at KU...should be fun! I cant wait to see him prove (again) my theory that his style of ball is the most complete, versatile style of college ball Ive ever seen. To do it again in a year or two with almost completely different players would cement the concept. It begins soon.