Monday, November 12, 2007

Students camp out to get best seats for KU-MU game

Dream season continues as 'Hawks drop OSU

The Kansas Jayhawk football team improved to 10-0 after defeating Oklahoma State by a final score of 43-28.

Tickets to the Kansas-Missouri football game are a hot commodity, and Kansas University students camped out Sunday to ensure they get the best seats available.

About 15 students set up tents and folding chairs Sunday in preparation for a long day and night of waiting to pick up tickets to the Nov. 24 Border Showdown, which become available at 9 a.m. today. While the game is sold out, KU pre-sold 8,000 tickets to students as part of a season ticket package, a university official said; the student ticket-holders today will be vying to get seats closest to the action.

Katie Huber, a sophomore from St. Louis, and Lauren Hickman, a sophomore from Riverside, Mo., were first in line. Though they arrived at 10 a.m. Sunday, a friend had staked out the spot at 1:30 a.m. Their motivation was simple: "We want to be in the front row," Hickman said.

They planned to combat boredom by bringing along homework and even a movie projector to show a film on the side of Allen Fieldhouse.

"We'll probably be here all night," Huber said. "We have some food, but we'll be doing a lot of delivery."

"I planned this before the season started," said Dominic Buli, a sophomore from Overland Park, who had been in line since 5:30 a.m. Sunday morning. He brought a laptop computer to watch Sunday night's KU men's basketball game, as well as some magazines to pass the time.

He wasn't worried about staying all night.

"I camped out last week for the Nebraska game and that was 10 times colder than this," he said.

Comments

seattlehawk_78 7 years, 1 month ago

If we go to the conference title game that means we will end up playing 14 games this year. One of the arguments against a playoff system is that teams would end up playing too much. Three more games than the standard 11 game schedule could be an 8 team playoff.

kranny 7 years, 1 month ago

I never thought I'd see the day when students would be camping out for "football" tickets. This is unbelieveable and I'm simply enjoying the ride. Go Hawks, let's get the 3rd string in about midway through the 3rd on Saturday. Keep focused, take it one game at time and the wins will take care of all the speculation and criticism.

John Strayer 7 years, 1 month ago

seattle...the standard game total is now 12.

areyouserious 7 years, 1 month ago

Run it up on the Cyclones, we need style points as stoops would say.

tjsarahriley 7 years, 1 month ago

Since I'm allowed to look past Iowa State (the players are not!), can anyone explain to me the way the ticket allotment was broken down for the KU/Misery game? I know that Chiefs season ticket holders were given the opportunity to purchase tickets. Why, I don't know. But after that, what is the breakdown in terms of how many tickets KU was allotted and how many Misery was allotted? What is the educated guess as to the split amongst the fans on gameday? 50/50? I was curious. Living in CO, I wasn't able to follow the story of the Arrowhead announcement as much as I would have liked when it broke.

tdub 7 years, 1 month ago

From what I've read, it will be closer to a 3/2 KU fan ratio. Because it is our "home game", we were given the 40,000 tickets for our season ticket holders (including the 8,000 students). Misery got to distribute 20,000 and Arrowhead dished out the final 20,000 to thier season ticket holders (of which I'll assume a 1/1 KU MU split). That puts the final tally around 50,000 for KU and 30,000 for MU if all went according to planned. After watching the MU vs. aTm game on Saturday, I'm convinced we would be the louder crowd even if there was a 50/50 split!

seattlehawk_78 7 years, 1 month ago

Go back to the 11 game schedule, eliminate the conference playoff game, take the 6 BCS conference winners and 2 at large teams and we have a ligit playoff system.

actorman 7 years, 1 month ago

That would be much better than what we have now, but not good enough for me. I want to make sure that no one who is even REMOTELY deserving gets left out, so it should be 16 teams. That would only be one extra game for two teams. Everyone else would be 14 or fewer.

bryswaz 7 years, 1 month ago

anyone know if today is the only day to pick up these tickets, or if it just continues until they're gone?

seattlehawk_78 7 years, 1 month ago

I dunno actorman. No matter how many teams make the playoff someone is going to complain about getting left out. 65 teams get invited to the big dance and every year a half dozen coaches are whinning. Those two at large teams could come from one of the 6 BCS conferences if we have a two powerhouses from the same conference.

blogthis 7 years, 1 month ago

The BCS is set up to reward the team that had the best season.

A playoff would potentially reward a team that was just hot during the playoffs.

Which is more important?

William James 7 years, 1 month ago

Auburn had a pretty good season when they went undefeated in the toughest conference in the country a few years back, and they werent rewarded. The BCS is an absolute joke.

hawk_bred20 7 years, 1 month ago

Just to let everyone know, this story is obviously a little old. I got there at 9:00 last night and me and my buddy were in group 21. By the time 2 o clock hit there were over 100 groups camping for tickets.

This morning, the line to get tickets stretched the length of The Fieldhouse and around back down Naismith a little. It was a pretty surreal scene, I'm sure you all will see pictures or video.

henrydorn 7 years, 1 month ago

You saw all those students out there camping? You might try making some phone calls to KU Athletics. Lots of students are angry. Most of us got upper level seats. KU Athletics allowed the first couple camping groups to pick up tickets for up to 300 students. Everyone else had no real chance. So much for an amazing experience of camping out for the first time for KU football tickets. The 6,000-8,000 student tickets definitely were mostly upper deck. This whole process has been confusing and crappy. Doesn't look like students received a nice hand here.

chazzychef 7 years, 1 month ago

I've been adamantly opposed to the BCS system since it was first implemented, what, 7 years ago? I've always felt that playoffs are the way to go. But if KU edges out some poor team (due to computer rankings) to get into the national championship game this year, I'll shut my mouth FOREVER. (I understand that for us to get into the championship, we'll need to be undefeated and thus totally deserve it...but I'm just sayin'.)

seattlehawk_78 7 years, 1 month ago

I think the criteria to make the playoffs would be to win your conference, not get selected by a BCS type system. However, the 2 at large teams could be selected by something similar to the current BCS which would allow a Boise State in the mix.

I agree Fabio, the BCS is a joke but I think it is an improvement over the old joke. In the old system 1 and 2 did not necessarily play so we had to wait until the next day to see who won. At least now we don't have to wait, except to see if there is a co-champion.

hawk_bred20 7 years, 1 month ago

henrydorn- I am in complete agreement with you. I had a fairly good spot at around 21 and because of people getting let in, using 120 ID's per group, and so on, my groups tickets were the first row of the upper deck. I'm not complaining because I just want to go the game. But one would think though that the Athletic Department would take some responsibility and implement a system.

RckChalkJeff 7 years, 1 month ago

Isnt there a system for basketball tickets?