Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Bowl ticket allotment sold out

Seats still available through other avenues

Hawks hunker down, prep for Hokies

It's officially time to start talking about the Hokies. Today Mark Mangino and his Kansas football team began to insert a game plan for the upcoming Orange Bowl against Virginia Tech.

All about the wait

For the Kansas football team, it's all about the wait. Kansas last played on November 24. Since then, 23 days have elapsed, and it will be another 17 until KU plays in the Orange Bowl against Virginia Tech.

The procrastinators are going to have to find another way now.

Kansas University sold out its allotment of Orange Bowl tickets Monday, meaning the quadrant of Dolphin Stadium reserved for KU fans should be full Jan. 3 when Kansas plays Virginia Tech.

KU announced that its share of 17,500 tickets all were accounted for Monday afternoon, about two weeks after they went on sale.

"We knew Jayhawks fans would be excited about supporting their team," athletic director Lew Perkins said. "Miami is not an easy place to get to at the last minute during the winter. But our fans persevered. We'll have a large, loud and excited fan base in Miami, and we can't wait to get there."

Kansas fans will be located around the northwest corner of Dolphin Stadium, extending from the 50-yard line to the west end zone. That accounts for 17 sections in the upper deck and 12 in the lower level.

Virginia Tech will be on centered on the southeast side of the venue. As of Monday evening, the Hokies still had upper-deck tickets available out of their 17,500 allotment.

Kansas fans still looking for tickets have plenty of avenues. Ticketmaster had Orange Bowl tickets available Monday evening, as did a number of online ticket brokers like StubHub.com and TicketsNow.com.

¢

Idol cameo: The Orange Bowl Committee announced Monday that American Idol television star Katharine McPhee will sing the national anthem at the Jan. 3 game.

McPhee was the runner-up on season five of American Idol, with Taylor Hicks winning the contest. McPhee has since signed with RCA Records and released a self-titled album.

In addition to McPhee, rock band ZZ Top will perform at halftime of the Orange Bowl.

¢

New commitment: Rivals.com reported Monday night that Lubbock Smith, a 5-foot-11, 185-pound safety out of Dallas, committed to Kansas over the weekend.

Smith chose Kansas over Arkansas, Tennessee and Tulsa. He visted KU last weekend and committed to coach Mark Mangino before leaving Sunday.

"Coach Mangino kind of reminds me of the Godfather," Smith told Rivals. "He's one of those head coaches you can tell who means it but he is very honest. He told me he wanted me to be a part of their program."

¢

Local recruits decide: In-state recruits Arthur Brown and Chris Harper made college choices on Monday in a press conference at the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame in Wichita.

Brown, a Wichita East product considered one of the top prospects in the country, will play linebacker for Miami (Fla.) next season. Harper, an athlete out of Wichita Northwest, will play at Kansas State.

Comments

Michael Leiker 11 years ago

I feel like such an idiot for not going down. After looking at the numbers and realized I've already spent 1k+ on KU basketball for this spring (1st & 2nd Round Tickets, 3 home games, at Nebraska, at ISU), just decided I needed to skip it.

I guess this is me apologizing...go to 10 games then miss the fricking Orange Bowl....I'M ONE SMART GUY.

Eric Beightel 11 years ago

I feel your pain, leikness. I bought my pair of season tickets (even though I live in DC) and flew back for 3 games (missed MU! Dammit!)but couldn't make it work to get to Miami for the biggest KU football game of my life. The proximity to X-mas travel didn't help. Of course if I had skipped out on flying back to Lawrence for X-mas for the Orange Bowl, my mother might have disowned me :)

quigley 11 years ago

I guess it was foolish to ever think that Arthur Brown would become a jayhawk.....damn!!!

okjhok 11 years ago

The real loss here was Harper to K-State. KU is not quite ready to start competing for the likes of Brown, but Harper is the type of recruit Mangino can't let get away, especially to the Mildcats.

troutsee 11 years ago

I think Harper was nuts to choose KSU over KU. We are headed up and they are headed down. Their performance in their last 4 games was terrible.

Kudos to the KU fans for showing their support for the Hawks by purchasing the total allotment. We have 10 members from my family making the trip....by car. See you at the tailgate.

jayhawkinATL 11 years ago

Yep...headin' down from the ATL!!!! I'm hoping there will be much more than 17,500 Jayhawkers. I think it's ironic (and funny) that VT hasn't sold their allotment yet. Living down here, I've always heard that their fans travel well.

Kevin Long 11 years ago

I agree okjhok. I saw that on the news last night. I think more and more recruits will come our way however with our sucess. When the new practice facility is done and things like that, more highly recruited players WILL come our way. It does suck to lose one to the mildcats though, I will agree with that.

Great to see the fans have bought all the tickets. This makes KU look great for future bowl prospects.

bmcmich1 11 years ago

"Coach Mangino reminds me of the Godfather."

I love it!!

Great to see we got a guy who was being looked at by SEC schools, too--makes losing that Harper guy to the kitty kats a little more palatable. Guess Harper doesn't value a good education, or indoor plumbing... ;)

sevenyearhawk 11 years ago

I'm breaking the bank ... but I'm making the trip to Miami!

I'll be the one picking up aluminum cans on the beach wearing a Jayhawk hardhat! :D

William James 11 years ago

leikness-Our basketball team is covered so well, all the games are on TV. Plus, the basketball team dosent need my help selling tickets. Also, Im just a football guy when it comes down to it. My point is, I spend all my money on the football games.
Actually, I havent been to a game in the Fieldhouse since 2001 and Ive been to the last 16 football games and I'll be at both games in Florida in 2008.

Kevin Long 11 years ago

Anyone listen to 610 sports? I was really bummed about the DA show getting shut down! I'm gonna miss the replays of "that's right, dollars signs!", over and over. That guy cracked me up.

jacqueshock 11 years ago

Mangino as The Godfather. That's awesome.

Oh, and The U grabbed a linebacker out of KU's back yard? That cannot happen. KU needs to return the favor. There were 6 players from Miami Northwestern (won the FL 6A state title and is ranked #1 by the USA TODAY) that signed with the Hurricanes. There's still plenty of fast talent to be had.

kutravis 11 years ago

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Columbia Tribune printed this article yesterday. Just shows how stupid they are...

I've written the moron who wrote the article and gave him a good beat down. you can email the idiot at:

<p>jraubolt@tribmail.com>

I suggest putting him in his place.

Chris Kurtz 11 years ago

The ONLY reason KU didn't sell out sooner is because the travel and hotel cost. I will be driving all the way round trip and splitting gas cost with my uncle.

Typical MU idiots to write an article like that Kutravis.

I never would of guessed the MU would sell their bowl out that quickly, but I didn't realize they MU fans could use food stamps for that kind of purchase.

jayhawkinATL 11 years ago

I agree...just read the article. I emailed the guy to tell him to make sure he gets the facts before he writes. The bias was soooooo obvious, including the ticket outlet guy he quotes.

justanotherfan 11 years ago

jacqueshock,

I wrote a couple of weeks ago about the fact that Miami can be good basically whenever they want to because they have a high concentration of talent right around them. As for returning the favor, KU has one major thing working against them that they can't change - climate. Kids that grow up in South Florida don't like the cold. I know this because my father grew up in south Florida. The only reason he ever came to Kansas was because he wasn't good enough to get a scholarship to play football at the U, UofF, FSU, Bethune or FAMU (the only schools in the state to field football teams. Now though, there are additional programs down there to keep out of staters away because those kids like the climate down there.

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't recruit Florida. We should. We have to. We need speed. We just have to realize that we have another hurdle that we have to overcome to get those kids up here.

Also, our good season this year will help recruiting more next year than it did this year (provided we have a strong season next fall). Most of the recruits for this year had cut down their list of favorites before the season started. Since KU didn't make a lot of those lists, our strong showing didn't put us on the map for a lot of those kids. However, our strong season did put us on the map for a lot of sophs and jrs. Another strong season could net us those kids next year and the year after. That's how you build a program.

quigley 11 years ago

kutravis- Thanks for the link, unfortunatley I am now super pissed off at work.

Kevin Long 11 years ago

That was a terrible article. If I only had to go to Dallas, I would be going to the bowl too. It just cost too much for me to go to Miami. It had nothing to do with ticket prices or intrest in my team!

I hate MU more with every heartbeat!

sevenyearhawk 11 years ago

Mizzou fans can just drive their houses to Dallas!

I hear this is the Tigers' new Sports Info Director:

Merry Christmas early, klong:

jayhawkinATL 11 years ago

I decided to e-mail this article to that Mizzou journalism school schmo.

Kevin Long 11 years ago

Thanks sevenyear! "Just give it a good whack!" That's the kind of stuff I will miss.

"Mizzou fans can just drive their houses to Dallas" From now on before I read your comments, I am going to make sure that I am not taking a drink or eating! You will kill me one of these days. Just classic.

straight 11 years ago

I have a question, and I'm hoping for an authoratative answer and not just someone's opinion.

Which is it?

Are Kansas and Missouri co-champions of the North Division, with Missouri getting to play in the conference championship game by virtue of the head-to-head tie-breaker?

Or,

Is Missouri the champion of the North Division by virtue of the head-to-head tie-breaker and therefore the representative from the North in the conference championship game?

CaramelMacchMan 11 years ago

Yo Klong... I miss DA too man.... that guys was awesome.. I dont know why they stopped it..

sevenyearhawk 11 years ago

I don't know if there is a straight answer, uh ... straight

I've seen this debated at length on the Message Board part of KUSports ...

Kevin Long 11 years ago

I bet it had to do with his blasting Carl Peterson on the air. I though it was great, but I remember when Jason Whitlock did that, his show was gone shortly after too. If you didn't get the pleasure of hearing it, you can go to thedashow.com and click on the link. I think it is Carl and DA now that's uncomfortable radio.

sevenyearhawk 11 years ago

Don't tell me Blinking Carl is THAT influential ...

don't bite the hand that feeds, I guess!

Cornfed 11 years ago

Did anyone tell Brown that Miami wasn't good anymore? USF and UCF have passed them...he must not be up on his current events.

Harper? He seemed like a head case to me and KU wasn't on his final list so O FREAKING WELL.....

He will be at Memorial next season-we will see whats up then?!

Don't ever dog Mangino's recruiting. Sometimes these kids think that are greener pastures outside of Kansas........I am sure he will wake up one day and say "WTF am I in Cuba?"

CaliforniaJhk 11 years ago

I'm asking Santa to let Arkansas kick MU's butt for my Christmas present. I'm in California, so Miami is way out of reach for me. Mangino...the godfather? PRICELESS! Keep those recruits coming...

Rick Arnoldy 11 years ago

re: Tribune article

HA, HA!! Where do I start? Despite the obvious bias, the truth shines through: "Missouri hasn't been to a bowl of this magnitude in quite some time."

'In stark contrast, as of this morning there were fewer than 100 tickets for the Cotton Bowl still available at TicketCity.com Just two weeks ago, the Web site had more than 150 tickets for sale.'

Wow, selling at the rate of 25 tickets per week! Hot, hot, hot: