Sunday, September 18, 2022

Kansas football receiving votes in national polls after 3-0 start

Kansas running back Devin Neal is tackled by Houston defensive back Gervarrius Owens during a game on Sept. 17, 2022, in Houston.

The Kansas football team is officially on the radar of the poll voters in college football again.

While the Jayhawks (3-0) are not yet ranked in either the Associated Press Top 25 or the USA Today coaches poll, they are receiving votes in both.

KU picked up 23 votes in Sunday’s newly released AP poll and five votes in Sunday’s coaches poll.

The 23 votes essentially place Lance Leipold’s team 34th in the AP poll.

That’s ahead of programs like LSU (6 votes) and Wisconsin (4 votes) and makes Kansas one of five Big 12 programs to land in this week’s AP poll. Oklahoma (6), Oklahoma State (9), Baylor (17) and Texas (22) are all ranked.

The last time the Kansas program was ranked in college football’s AP poll was on Oct. 18, 2009, when they were No. 24 in the poll. The Jayhawks lost to 25th-ranked Oklahoma, 35-13, that week and fell out of the poll entirely for the next 673 weeks.

KU plays host to unbeaten Duke at 11 a.m. next Saturday — on FS1 — and a win in that game likely would give Kansas a serious shot at cracking into next week’s poll.

The Jayhawks opened as a 7.5-point favorite over the Blue Devils and are bracing for a wild environment and potential sellout crowd.

The poll news wasn’t the only early accolade the Jayhawks picked up in the aftermath of Saturday’s win at Houston.

KU quarterback Jalon Daniels was named the Walter Camp National FBS Offensive Player of the Week.

The KU junior accounted for 281 yards and five touchdowns in KU’s win, completing 14 of 23 passes for three TDs and adding two rushing scores, as well.

Daniels is the first Jayhawk to earn Walter Camp National Player of the Week honors. North Carolina State’s Aydan White was named the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week.

The honor comes after Daniels was named the Manning Award Star of the Week, to the Davey O’Brien Great 8 List and Davey O’Brien Midseason Watch List last week after he threw for 219 yards and 3 touchdown passes in the 55-42 overtime win at West Virginia.

Here’s a look at this week’s complete AP Top 25:

1 – Georgia, 3-0, 1,569 (59)

2 – Alabama, 3-0, 1,492 (3)

3 – Ohio State, 3-0, 1,473 (1)

4 – Michigan, 3-0, 1,364

20 – Florida, 2-1, 360

21 – Wake Forest, 3-0, 345

22 – Texas, 2-1, 339

23 – Texas A&M;, 2-1, 309

24 – Pittsburgh, 2-1, 181

25 – Miami (Fla.), 2-1, 123

Others receiving votes: Michigan State 91, Florida State 85, Appalachian State 77, North Carolina 72, Washington State 62, Cincinnati 52, Oregon State 49, Minnesota 48, Kansas 23, Syracuse 7, LSU 6, Wisconsin 4.

Comments

Brad Watson 1 week, 2 days ago

Rankings are nice....what matters is total focus...blinders on...stay totally locked in and everything will fall into place naturally...just like Gameday for example......stay focused... take care of your business and they will want come to Lawrence and see it for real...in person.

Bryce Landon 1 week, 2 days ago

After a 13-year absence, an honorable mention in the polls is a surefire sign that something special is brewing in Lawrence. Way to go Jayhawks! Now go beat Duke and get yourself a long-overdue ranking!

David Kelley-Wood 1 week, 2 days ago

You can't help but notice the pace of improvement since HCLL and team took over. 2nd half last season vs 1st half, and now vs then. Have got to believe this season's best is yet to come, and that the program isn't anywhere near its ceiling, which likely won't be seen for another two, three or more years. Those consecutive 14 point deficits, however, suggest an uncomfortable degree of fragility that you just hope doesn't get out of hand somewhere along the line. But for now, am just enjoying the impressive upswing, and keeping the fingers crossed. What the heck, why not be happy?

Edward Daub 1 week, 2 days ago

Kansas receives more votes than Iowa.

Bryce Landon now wants to come back and be a KU Fan again.

I really think that Bryce should stick with Iowa.

Rock Chalk!

Jim Stauffer 1 week, 2 days ago

Bruce May learn respect for KU FB over the next few years.

Micky Baker 1 week, 2 days ago

Well deserved. I really thought that Houston's defense was going to give is more trouble than they did. Very interested in watching the Baylor/Iowa State game this week too.

The only thing that I think we need to fix, get out to a 14 point lead instead of digging a 14 point deficit, and if we had done that, it would have been a rout from beginning to end and sent a big statement to the conference and the nation. I'm okay with staying under the radar for now though.

Andy Godwin 1 week, 2 days ago

One game at a time. When it is this early in the season it is hard to tell who is truly good (outside the likes of Georgia). Duke shutout Temple (30-0) and then beat Northwestern on the road (31-23 – and NWU beat a struggling Nebraska to open the season). Glad to see the KU football program and their legitimate QB starting to receive national exposure and deservingly so, but a loss on Saturday can reverse all the feel-good moments. Rock Chalk.

Jonathan Allison 1 week, 2 days ago

I get the feeling that a lot of the Bryce bashing is more about his political posts than about his fair-weather fandom.

I say cut him some slack on the fanhood questions.

the main difference between Bryce and most other Kansas basketball fans, is that he actually knows that Kansas has a football team, and he had chosen to root for someone else. I knew students when I was at KU who were football fans of other schools such as Nebraska, Oklahoma, and others. This during Kansas' rising years under Mangino.

That said. If KU had been getting roughly 25,000 fans in the stands the past several years, then I guess we can hope for 25,000 other bandwagon fans to show up Saturday to "pack The Booth".

I will be dvr'ing the game this weekend since it's not part of the plans for my son's 10th birthday party this weekend, but I stopped watching and lost hope for Kansas football during the Beatty years. Then whatever glimmer of hope Les Miles brought hit rock bottom. So go ahead question my fanhood, banish me from the site if you want. It won't do any good. Three games into the season we've matched our best win total since 2009. So yes, I'm on the bandwagon, and there's room here for everyone.

Micky Baker 1 week, 2 days ago

Yep, that's obvious since nobody mentioned politics until you did.d

The bandwagon fan thing is something that none of the other teams in our conference have a problem with. They go to the games and show loud support win, lose, or draw. Personally, those that stuck with the program through the tough times are those that deserve to see success now. The others need to show up, and don't stop. I get that many of them will move on and won't be around Lawrence, but we have enough students and fans to fill the stadium every game, win, lose or draw. That atmosphere will help this team continue to grow from here, and not just football, but basketball recruits that visit and go to a home football game and maybe other sports as well.

As far as Bryce, he kind of deserves the criticism he's getting after all the stuff he wrote on these boards just as I would deserve it if I had posted the same things. I don't think bandwagon fans are something we should embrace. We need you to be a fan all the time. Giving due criticism is okay as a fan, but abandoning the team is not okay.

I think somewhere between 48K to 49K fans Saturday in the stadium is a reasonable expectation, and yes there will be bandwagon fans there, but from here forward it would be best for the entire University to be fans, not just bandwagon fans. It hurt a lot to watch some of the disastrous games the last decade or so, but I stuck around the whole time and made the trek across the state several times to go to games in which we were embarrassed because the team is embarrassed, the fans are also embarrassed. That is what it means to be a fan. It is difficult to maintain school spirit when it was as bad as it was, but the reward is that much greater when we're playing in late December or early January. Even though it hurts the fans, the players that went through all that hurt a lot more than the fans do. Yeah, I was angry at times, but I never gave up on them, and the players never gave up. They still showed up at the games, the fans owe them some reciprocity.

Pat Bell 1 week, 2 days ago

So much fun reading about KU's football team everywhere I turn. Brings back memories of Gale Sayers' days in Lawrence. Especially remember the game against Nebraska when he scored on the first play and then on the last play to win the game! We arrived early and stayed til the end but had friends who arrived late and left early. They were really mad afterwards!!

I can't make the game from South Carolina, but lets fill the stadium Saturday and stay for the whole game no matter what happens. Coach and team need to know we're there for the long haul

Dirk Medema 1 week, 2 days ago

Jonathan - I’m not sure about Bryce’s political opinions but if you’re a bandwagon fan it’s understandable that you would want to find another reason for the jabs at Bryce. The jabs don’t come because he’s a bandwagon fan. You are right, there are plenty. The jabs come because unlike most bandwagon fans, Bryce choose to talk s&@t about the team. There are plenty of people that quit on the program. Heck, there are even players that have quit. Most didn’t talk s&@t about the team. That’s the difference.

Doug Roberts 1 week, 1 day ago

Bandwagon fans' money spends the same. I have no problem with people not spending their money on a bad product.

But, just like that, we have a very entertaining team to watch! My only request is if you're going to the game don't sit on your hands. Games are way more fun if you get up and yell on third downs and go crazy when the team does well. I'll be there screaming my lungs out. Rock Chalk.

Also, I'd be much happier if I didnt know anyone's political leanings on here. I come here to GET AWAY from the daily political crap I have to listen to.

Dirk Medema 1 week, 1 day ago

Andy - Northwestern also lost to southern Illinois who I think commonly is a bottom 10 team. Temple has been as well. They might not be that bad this year, but they are definitely not good. 52-33 or better.

Dirk Medema 1 week, 1 day ago

Wow. Last to fifth in under a month. Essentially now picked ahead of ISU, TCU, TTU, WVU, and the kitties. It would be great if ISU can beat Baylor this weekend while we beat duke and set up another weekend of defeateds in Lawrence. Really unlikely that TCU could make it 3 in a row.

I have a feeling that during the next condition session, Matt Gildersleeve will be telling the players that the improvement is nice but the goal isn’t almost making mid season polls anymore than awards for offseason weightlifting.

Jonathan Allison 1 week, 1 day ago

according to ESPN's FPI the only game KU is favored to win in the remaining schedule is Duke. TCU is given a 51% probability of victory. ISU, TTU, KSU, and OSU I think are all between 60% and 70%.

WVU and Houston were given 84% and 80% odds. OU, Baylor, and UT all three are given between 80% and 90% odds.

Beat Duke and TCU, and we only have to find one more win to make bowl eligibility.

It's reminding me of the 2005 and 2006 seasons when I was a student and we had so many games where we led and should have won, or lost by a single possession where the difference between being 5-7 vs 10-2 was five games decided by one possession.

The defense was solid, and the offense was purely one dimensional (Jon Cornish rushing for 4 yards a carry) until Todd Reesing took the field. Then in 2007 the Ed Warriner offensive machine was unleashed and most of those tight games turned into easy wins.

Dirk Medema 1 week, 1 day ago

Jonathan - I wasn’t a student but I remember the frustrating late game failures of 2006. I think 2005 was okay.

If you dig a bit deeper into espn, you might find an article I read this morning about how they whiffed big time on KU and a few others. I think that’s also where they comment about getting to the place in the schedule where preseason bias/perception is eliminated. The polls might have some pendulum swing overreaction.

Dirk Medema 1 week, 1 day ago

The 2005 Jayhawks defeated Nebraska for the first time in 37 years beating them 40–15. They finished the regular season 6–5 becoming eligible for a bowl game for the second time in three seasons. The Jayhawks won the Fort Worth Bowl, defeating the Houston Cougars, 42–13.

The 2006 Jayhawks finished the regular season 6–6 / 3-5, but weren’t invited to a bowl game

Jonathan Allison 1 week ago

Yeah, my roommate, my brother and I made the road trip to the Fort Worth Bowl, and I was glad that I did. It was a lot of fun. In 2006 the end of the season was very disappointing... I think that's the year I traveled for the Mizzou game in Columbia and we were beaten handily.