Monday, April 19, 2021

KU women’s basketball coach Brandon Schneider announces hiring of 2 new assistants

Kansas coach Brandon Schneider yells to his team during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game against Baylor in Lawrence, Kan., on Wednesday, Jan. 15, 2020.

Kansas women’s basketball coach Brandon Schneider announced three staffing changes on Monday, including the promotion of Terry Nooner to associate head coach.

Schneider also announced the hiring of assistant coaches Karyla Middlebrook and Morgan Paige, who were brought in to replace former KU assistants Jhasmin Player and Damitria Buchanan.

“As we knew he would, Terry has quickly made a positive impact in every phase of our program,” Schneider said in a news release. “He instantly connected with our players, they all respect him tremendously and soak up all that he has to teach them. He truly loves Kansas and is so proud to be a Jayhawk. I’m excited to announce his promotion.”

A former KU walk-on under Roy Williams, Nooner is entering his second year on Schneider’s staff. He returned to KU prior to last season after a stint at Texas.

He worked primarily with KU’s bigs and helped lead Katrine Jessen and Ioanna Chatzileonti to solid seasons.

“I am truly honored and humbled that coach Brandon has entrusted me with this position,” Nooner said in the release. “I am eager to continue working on the vision that he has for making KU women’s basketball a championship program.”

Buchanan moved on to Auburn after six years with the KU program. Player was hired as an assistant coach at SMU, where she can be closer to family after the recent passing of her mother.

Both outgoing assistants left KU with positive words about their time with the program and Schneider’s vision for Kansas women’s basketball.

“I am very grateful for the time I was able to spend at Kansas,” Player said in a news release announcing the departures. “I had a great time with Coach Schneider and learned a great deal from him these past two years. We were not just coworkers, we are now family. I feel like the way he handled the women’s basketball program through COVID and social injustices was miraculous. I can never thank him enough for the opportunity he gave me to coach and recruit on the biggest, brightest stage.”

Added Buchanan: “These past six years have been a huge blessing in my life. The University of Kansas has made me who I am today and I am thankful for the opportunity to coach in the mecca of college basketball.”

Their replacements both have coached at other programs prior to Kansas.

Middlebrook comes to KU from Grand Canyon University, where she served as an assistant coach for the 2020-21 season. Prior to GCU, she was an assistant at Evansville.

“Karyla is from a basketball family and was a really good player competing in both the SEC and Big 12 conferences,” Schneider said. “She loves to help players develop and improve their games (and) has very strong recruiting ties locally and throughout the Midwest.”

Paige joins the staff as an assistant and recruiting coordinator. She previously held the same role at North Dakota State, where she began in 2016-17 after serving as a graduate assistant at Iowa State.

“Morgan is a coach’s kid, grew up in the gym, was an All-Big Ten player at Wisconsin, and spent time in Europe playing professionally,” Schneider said. “She is terrific on the court and has strong Midwest recruiting contacts and connections.

“Morgan and Karyla will make a big impact on the environment of our program,” he added. “Their positive energy and enthusiasm are infectious and our players are really going to enjoy working with and learning from them both. They will be outstanding mentors for our young women.”

The 2021-22 season will be Schneider's seventh season in charge of the KU program. He was hired from Stephen F. Austin prior to the 2015-16 season and has led the Jayhawks to a record of 57-98 (14-94 in Big 12 play) during his first six seasons in charge.

During the pandemic-shortened 2020-21 season, Schneider led the Jayhawks to a record of 7-18 (3-15 in Big 12 play) while working through postponements and rescheduled games related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Schneider owns a career record of 458-236, which includes a 306-72 record in 12 seasons at Emporia State and a 95-66 mark at Stephen F. Austin.

Comments

Brett McCabe 1 year, 7 months ago

How is this guy still our coach? Six seasons and we are a bottom feeder.

I agreed with giving him some space because he had won before. But all he’s done here is lose.

Certainly, Goff has bigger issues right now, but all incompetent coaches must go.

Brett McCabe 1 year, 7 months ago

More thoughts on the KU Athletic Department.

We have never had a woman or a person of color in charge of Athletics.

We had Marian and Turner and have Stanley. I’m stumped when trying to find anything other than white.

We have hired another white AD. We have another white Chancellor. If he even exists because I’m not sure that he isn’t a whisp of smoke.

We have a white male bball coach who cheats, we had a white male fball coach who harassed, we have a white male tennis coach, a white male baseball coach, a white female softball coach, a white female rowing coach, a white male volleyball coach, and now I’m tired from celebrating all of the league and national championships. Just like several of our obese white coaches.

While I think Jeff Monken is the easy and obvious choice as KU’s next football coach, we need Jay Norvell.

We need Danny. Why is that taking so long? Well, Billy is a little sensitive right now. He can’t coach a big man, so.....

We need to remember that this is the Free State University and start hiring men and women of color. Period.

You think that this will cap our performance? Count Schneider’s rings. Count KU’s NC’s. Or our Texas League championships. The most frustrating part of this is that we would win more, not less. How could you win less?

KU has a lot going against it. Wouldn’t it be good to just stand for something, and go from there? Something other than fix news talking points?

David Girod, via Sam Brownback, may be the single worst thing to ever happen to KU. He has hired another white christian crusader.

Let’s hope this dude acts more like Jesus than Falwell.

Let’s get our university back. And our athletic department. Remember when Dr. Frederick, an actual PhD and not an MD, cancelled Notre Dame? I was proud to be a Jayhawk that day.

Dale Rogers 1 year, 7 months ago

Sorry but race, gender, religious affiliation, etc., should never be a consideration. If you are saying it is being used as a factor, then I agree it should not be. But I also believe those things should never be used to exclude anyone, INCLUDING white males. If we truly want equality, then those things can never be part of a decision making process, period. Anything else is unacceptable.

No, I'm not saying past decisions were absent inequality. I have no way of actually knowing that but the signs imply that's the case. And, if so, that should stop. But let's never exclude anyone for any of those reasons and that includes all races, genders, religions.

Chris Condren 1 year, 7 months ago

This guy has proven that he is a loser. Six years of losing is too much to continue with Schneider. Having his old assistants walk the plank changes nothing. Anyone besides this clown.

Caleb Loong 1 year, 7 months ago

This guy makes me wonder why did the school fired Bonnie Henrickson.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 7 months ago

Is “obese white coach” a decade old attack on Coach Mangino?

Interesting that precursor to the complaints about all the white coaches, was the cries for replacing a black (interim) head coach with another white coach. Religious or not, I think that falls into the hypocrisy category. Or maybe it’s just ignorant irrational ranting.

Also, while we might “need” Danny, there was an article a while ago about Danny not necessarily needing any coaching position. Maybe he missed the grandpuba’s decree: thou shalt return to KU. And so it shall be.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 7 months ago

Definitely hasn’t turned around as much as desired, but I’m recalling the roster being a mess when Bonnie left. I think things have gotten better. It doesn’t help that the Big12 is a tough league.

Steven Haag 1 year, 7 months ago

Agreed Dirk. I’m not sure how many years a guy gets before shown the door, but it takes time to build a roster with your recruits and the type of players you are recruiting. 1. It took 3 years to get his recruits in and be at the sophomore/junior level to be able to actually play. 2. When he finally had a roster in place, he lost his best 2 players for the year due to injury. 3. Last year COVID threw some wrenches in. I get it, there were wrenches in every school. 4. We basically started one Senior and the rest were very young. 5. The Big XII is a tough conference. 6 aside from Baylor, we were MUCH more competitive than in years past. I believe Terry Nooner had something to do with that. 7. We have a lot of potential talent back, plus some good recruits, plus Terry Nooner. I say give him this year. 8. The frustrating part is we were in many games deep into the 4th quarter and couldn’t get it done. If we could have, we would have definitely been an NIT team. They need to learn how to win now. Part of that is confidence and execution. The other part is coaching. Eyes are on you this year Brandon.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 7 months ago

Steven - Good summary.

I also am not sure how about the number of years, but I have observed two things: 1. If making progress, the AD seems to allow more time and shorter if not. 2. Comments here generally start with acknowledging how bad a situation is and long it will take to turnaround, but the time is completely cut off if the turnaround is not immediate.