Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Oubre talks big before his NBA career begins

— The newest Kansas basketball player to join the ranks of the NBA, Kelly Oubre Jr. doesn’t appear to care about making any friends before his first season.

The Washington Wizards acquired the one-and-done small forward on draft night from Atlanta, and since describing himself as a jewel during ESPN’s live coverage, the brash 19-year-old hasn’t let up.

Fourteen different organizations passed on Oubre before Atlanta took him for Washington at No. 15. According to the 6-foot-7 wing (who didn’t call any of his fellow draftees out by name), he is a better player than No. 1 pick Karl-Anthony Towns, No. 2 pick D’Angleo Russell, No. 3 pick Jahlil Okafor and so on, and so on.

“I have confidence in myself, so I believed that I was a top-10 pick from the get-go,” Oubre said in a piece from The Washington Post’s Scott Allen. “I don’t think that there’s 15 guys, or however many guys, that are better than me.”

Added the newest Wizard:

“A lot of guys that went in front of me, I know I’m better than.”

According to The Post, Oubre at least said in a Monday radio interview that he has respect for some specific players selected before him: Minnesota’s Towns, Philadelphia’s Okafor and Detroit’s No. 8 pick, Stanley Johnson.

Then he went right back to talking a big game:

“It’s a kill or be killed world, and I feel like I can do a lot of killing in this world.”

Oubre couldn’t resist himself on Washington’s 106.7 The Fan.

“I’m a competitor. I’m not going to say another guy’s better than me, because I don’t feel that way,” he continued. “I’m not going to say something I don’t feel. They’re great players, don’t get me wrong.”

Keep in mind all of this came a few days after he said the following when asked about his relationship with Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant, the 2013-14 NBA MVP:

“We’re competitors,” he said. “I’m not enamored with who he is. That’s Kevin Durant, but I’m Kelly Oubre.”

Comments

Tony Bandle 6 years, 10 months ago

Step One: Raise Leg. Step Two: Open Mouth. Step Three: Insert Foot.

Kelly needs to study up a little on the difference between confidence and cockiness....although I've got a feeling that lesson will begin pretty soon on the court.

I do think, however, that he has top flight ability, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 10 months ago

“A lot of guys that went in front of me, I know I’m better than.”

I agree w/Oubre but discretion might have been the better play.

Keith Gellar 6 years, 10 months ago

hahaha...after how he got clowned by WSU, just the nerve to make these statements. Wiggins is 10 times the player Kelly is and he didn't even say half of what Kelly is saying.

Looks like Kelly is following the Lebron ideology...I’m a competitor. I’m not going to say another guy’s better than me, because I don’t feel that way.

I'm guessing he's not going to shake the opposing players hands too now because he feels he's truly better than them.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 10 months ago

LeBron shakes hands and went out of his way to congratulate Steph Curry.

Keith Gellar 6 years, 10 months ago

that's the new lebron! have you not been following lebron since the beginning? he didn't shake hands with initially

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 10 months ago

It's called maturity. Kelly will figure it out soon enough and as far as the WSU game goes - that was a team loss. WSU just wanted it more and probably had the better team.

Glen Miller 6 years, 10 months ago

Another LeBron hater looking to take your nonsense onto any sports talk board you can find I see. Give it a rest for God's sake. This is a KU site and this article didn't say anything about LeBron James. Oubre can spout off whatever he wants, we don't have to agree..... but comparing him to LeBron and then backing it up with some BS about not shaking hands is just reaching dude.

John Boyle 6 years, 10 months ago

Glen, It's not a reach or BS. Do some research and you can find numerous instances of LeBron showing poor sportsmanship by not shaking hands with opponents after losses. Did LeBron need to be mentioned here?No. But it was in an attempt (a poor one) to make his point.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 10 months ago

I think Glen's point was who cares what LeBron does or doesn't do. This isn't the place for a LeBron discussion.

Martin Rosenblum 6 years, 10 months ago

Anybody remember the Morris twins, TRob, Wiggins, McLemore, Aldrich or others adopting such a persona even before the ink was on their contracts? And these guys were more deserving to be cocky with their talent. I believe The Truth needs to have a little Jayhawk-to-Jayhawk talk with this young man as a teammate and mentor. Otherwise, there will be more than a few scrimmages ending with "inadvertent" bruises, etc. for Mr. Oubre, .

The Truth can set him free (of his ego).

RJ King 6 years, 10 months ago

If anyone had a case for chest thumping it was Wiggins.

If anyone had a case for, "I should have been taken higher" it was Pierce.

And if ever there was a case for, "I believe in myself even though the world is doubting" it was Steph Curry.

As a KU and Warrior fan - for the love of Phog, Kelly - walk the walk before you talk the talk. Just. Shut. Up.

Harlan Hobbs 6 years, 10 months ago

Thank you, Glen, for stating things perfectly. Also, I enjoy Tony's humor as always.

Humpy Helsel 6 years, 10 months ago

Kelly, I saw Kevin Durant play at Allen Fieldhouse when he was a freshman. Kelly, you are no Kevin Durant.

I don't know who is in your ear, but man, where is the humility you demonstrated while at Kansas? You have just put yourself in a position to either back it all up or be reminded of your boyish brashness the rest of your public career. Not smart, Kelly.

Welcome to The League of Men. The NBA where every rook is there to take a vets job away.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 10 months ago

Was KD drafted ahead of Oubre? I don't get the point.

Rodney Pain 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm actually fine with Oubre's talk. Does he have the game to back up his mouth? No. But he's right. The NBA is a kill or be killed world. If he doesn't believe he's among the best he'll never get there. There have been studies even where its been found that people who can lie themselves tend to be more successful. Like if you fill out a survey and literaly say on it that your poop doesn't stink, that's a sign that your more likely to succeed. Kelly's gonna get put in his place soon enough but its better that he believes he's great if he wants to reach greatness.

Brianna Zaleski 6 years, 10 months ago

Totally agree with Rodney here. There is nothing wrong w confidence in one's own abilities. He hasn't disrespected any of his peers or the media to make his point, he's simply stating his faith in himself and his ability. If that's what it takes to motivate himself, then I'm fine w it.