Saturday, August 15, 2015

KU in running for prep De’Aaron Fox

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

De’Aaron Fox, a 6-foot-3 senior point guard from Cypress Lakes High in Katy, Texas, who is ranked No. 9 nationally by Rivals.com, on Friday said he has narrowed his list of prospective colleges to seven: Kansas University, Kentucky, Arizona, North Carolina, Louisville, LSU and N.C. State.

It was surprising to many that Texas did not make the cut.

“Coach (Bill) Self is telling me he’s going to give me the keys, come in and be the lead guard. The way Frank (Mason) has been leading the team from the point guard position, I can go in and do the same thing. Coach Self is a winner, too. He’s done nothing but win since he’s been there. He’s got a national championship under his belt, a couple Final Fours,” Fox told ESPN.com in discussing his finalists.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 10 months ago

The LJW is giving all of us fans a recruiting update overdose. However, in this case, I can't overstate the joy felt learning that our boy Shaka being left off another elite TX recruit. It's going to take me some time to get over his attitude toward Kansas before, just after San Antonio, not to mention his comments taking the UT job.

With regard to Fox's comments, it seems Self is expecting a huge year out of Mason that would land him in the pros somewhere. Also, from what he reports about Self's comments, it sounds like Self has turned a new leaf how best to employ guards.

Dirk Medema 6 years, 10 months ago

Maybe your boy Shaka, but definitely not mine ("our"), tho definitely agreeing with the thought that it is fun to see them miss in advance. Along the same lines of seeing UK/Cal whiff on so may last year, that he was scrambling through 2017 recruits to find even 1 PG. Their lineup was headed toward a "Robert Morris"esque team.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 10 months ago

I've not even come close to reaching overdose level. Keep 'em coming, LJW!

Gerry Butler 6 years, 10 months ago

I agree 100% Suzi about Coach-Self in the expectations on Frank this season, as that would be THE ONLY WAY for De'Aaron to land here would be if Frank declare for the N.B.A. because in the article I read last night De'Aaron talked about playing time and if Frank is here he would not be getting the time he is talking about. Goes to show how in touch some of these recruiting services are, and what's real. In the latest 247 sports.com crystal ball predictions on Fox which was just yesterday, they had Kentucky at 53%, TEXAS at 40% and then KU 7%.Well that's amusing seeing as how TEXAS didn't even make his list of 7 schools. As far as KU only trending at 7% well someone has to take the 40% it showed for Texas, and I would assume that would be us, or at least a huge part of that. I said in the article the Fox said he definitely wanted to visit Kentucky and Ku for sure, still don't believe he will land here but one never knows. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Mike Riches 6 years, 10 months ago

Even if Frank leaves (which is not likely at all) De'Aaron would still be sharing minutes with Devonte and Vick (who I expect to be a big contributor his sophomore year). Maybe a OAD point guard isn't what we need in the next couple years. That said, I think Frank will stay for his senior year and De'Aaron will end up at Louisville.

Dale Kroening 6 years, 10 months ago

I remember a similar comment by Oubre taking the keys from Wiggins and we all know how that played out . I mean Kelly did end up in the starting lineup as the season progressed and getting drafted , but he had to earn it . The difference here is that Frank isn't going anywhere and we still have Devonte . Both whom are very good . The only thing I can come up with is that Self maybe moving Frank to off guard if Wayne was to leave , but I don't see that move happening . I just don't believe Self gives away playing time before a player even steps foot on the court . For that reason I just don't see De'Aaron signing with KU . Hopefully Im wrong , I'm just being realistic . I think Frank will be a beast this year and next and I don't see any frosh coming in and putting him on the bench . I'm with Mike , I don't think we need a OAD pg right now . Would like to see another diamond in the rough like Frank who can come in and learn , work on his game , and be able to step in when Frank and Devonte are gone .

Dirk Medema 6 years, 10 months ago

Coach has talked with the press about going back to a multiple combo guard approach that he used successfully in the past. From that perspective, Frank doesn't need to be on the ball, and Fox just needs to take minutes from Devonte or Vick, or maybe even spread the minutes to the 3 with a slightly smaller ball handling line-up.

It would seem to me that Wayne and Greene (stays healthy and continues shooting > 50% from 3) or Svi are all candidates for an exodus, so replacing guards would be a good idea.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 10 months ago

DeAaron Fox will probably end up at Kentucky replacing Isaiah Briscoe. There's just not a realistic scenario where Mason leaves early. When the was the last time a sub 6' guard left school early and was a first round pick? Even Sherron Collins at his peak after his junior year was only projected as a late 1st-early 2nd round pick.

Harlan Hobbs 6 years, 10 months ago

I agree Dale. Keep the articles coming.

I will go on record right now in saying that the chances of Frank Mason going pro after this year are at least 50-50. I see the odds as higher for Wayne Selden. All is speculation of course, but I will also predict that DeAaron Fox will choose KU.

We will see who is right. Will be interesting to follow.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 10 months ago

I hope Mason has the type of year that would warrant the attention of a 1st round NBA pick! If Mason leaves, it would be a golden opportunity for Fox. If Mason stays, Fox is better off elsewhere, much like if Embiid had stayed Turner was better off elsewhere.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

After a recruit chooses us don't they usually say something like - "I realy liked how candid he was with me about working hard to get on the court". "I appreciated how Self told me I would have to work for my playing time, or earn my minutes"? I cannot recall one ever saying, "Coach (Bill) Self is telling me he’s going to give me the keys, come in and be the lead guard".

I agree with Aaron, Frank is going to be here next year. If that is the case it is fairly crowded at guard here. Anyone coming in is going to have to be pretty special to win the roll of a starter. It can be done, but it is going to be dogfight, not a Sunday drive through the country. Keys in hand or not.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 10 months ago

Well thats weird, that article by Mr Dorsey on the Bill Self call to his mom is gone now, When I click on my post on that article it takes me the FL newpaper and closes this site.

Must have been a use issue or something.

Too bad that was well written and a nice thing for Self to do.

Tom Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

And now Ferguson is going to Alabama. That sucks.