Sunday, December 7, 2014

Former Kansas wideout Briscoe fondly recalls position coach Beaty

Under the watchful eyes of then-Kansas University receivers coach David Beaty, left, Dezmon Briscoe pulls in a pass during practice in this photo from Aug. 11, 2009. Briscoe is among those glad Beaty is returning to KU — as head coach.

Former Kansas University All-American receiver Dezmon Briscoe caught a lot of passes, scored a lot of touchdowns and was responsible for a lot of Jayhawk highlights during his three seasons in crimson and blue.

And one of the men most responsible for all of those memorable moments was new KU head coach David Beaty.

When Briscoe first heard the news on Friday morning that his old position coach had been named the 38th head coach at his alma mater, Briscoe’s mind immediately flashed back to the wide-receiver room where Beaty liked to do his toughest teaching.

“Attention to detail, he was big on that,” Briscoe told the Journal-World via telephone from his hometown of Dallas on Friday afternoon. “Even when it came to grading the film and things like that, he wanted to focus more on your flaws and how to get better.”

Perhaps nothing better illustrates Beaty’s signature style than the one word Briscoe said he heard a lot in those meeting rooms. It’s a word he still chuckles over when he hears it today.

“If you ran a bad route, he’d just say, ‘Eww, that’s just a dirty route. It’s gotta get better,’” recalled Briscoe, who laughed particularly hard after saying the word dirty. “He always called people’s routes dirty when they didn’t run ’em the way he expected them to run ’em.”

Beaty, who coached KU’s receivers under Mark Mangino in 2008 and 2009, and again in 2011 under Turner Gill, left an impression on the guys he coached. But Briscoe said the Garland, Texas, native proved he cared as much as he screamed and always made the line between the two clear.

“I think his approach to football is great,” Briscoe said. “He doesn’t take mediocrity, and he critiques everything you do. He’s more of a players’ coach in my eyes, but at the same time he knows how to put his foot down and get down to business.”

With Briscoe roaming the sidelines, Beaty had the chance to do plenty of both, and the former KU standout who played parts of five seasons in the NFL with Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, Washington and Dallas said Beaty played a huge role in helping him achieve his dream.

“Coach Beaty developed me as a receiver,” Briscoe said. “But he also developed me as a man. When he came to KU, he took me under his wing and really helped me mature off the field. We have a great relationship.”

Briscoe said one of Beaty’s best attributes was that he never met a stranger. Briscoe said KU’s new head coach always had a smile and handshake for everyone and often found time to mix in a joke or two, delivered in his southern drawl.

“People down here always have good comments and good vibes about him,” Briscoe said. “He’s very highly thought-of down here.”

Asked to identify what Beaty’s biggest challenge in his new job might be, Briscoe pointed to one thing that has plagued nearly every KU coach who preceded Beaty in leading the program.

“The biggest challenge for any coach at the University of Kansas is getting people to respect KU football,” Briscoe said.

Because he was here during both good times and bad — KU won 13 games during Beaty’s first stint and just two during his second — Beaty seems to understand the Texas-sized challenge he just agreed to take on. But based on the speech he delivered during halftime of Friday night’s KU basketball victory over Florida at Allen Fieldhouse, he has no plans of shying away from it, clean, dirty or otherwise.

“Thanks a bunch for having us back here at the greatest university in the country,” Beaty told the crowd Friday. “My family and I are honored and humbled to be back here as your head coach. But I want you to understand something: This thing is about you. It’s about the great state of Kansas, the community of Lawrence, Kansas football and all of Kansas athletics, and I promise you this: I won’t sleep until we give you something to be proud of there at Memorial Stadium.”

Comments

Dirk Medema 7 years, 8 months ago

Is that the entirety of Beaty's message on Friday?

Is it posted online somewhere? It would be nice to take a moment to listen to it if there is more, even though it was short from what I've heard.

Dale Rogers 7 years, 8 months ago

I was firmly on the Bowen bandwagon but I understand there is always more than one good choice for head coach. Beaty looks to be a good choice, as would Bowen have been, in my opinion. I'm just a fan with no influence over any decisions at KU but, as a fan, I'll be behind David Beaty, Clint Bowen, and the rest of the team.

Harlan Hobbs 7 years, 8 months ago

Great attitude, Dale. Like you, I am just a fan. We all look forward to the day that KU football can return to some of the glory days of the past.

Michael Maris 7 years, 8 months ago

I wonder if Coach Beaty and Trooper Taylor have ever became friends? Trooper Taylor is a WR's Coach and was at one time the OC at Okie State (during the good WR's days of Okie State). Taylor is coaching this season at Arkansas State. He mostly has spent his coaching career in the SEC. But, he graduated from Baylor and was a Grad Assistant there. And as mentioned before, he was the OC at Okie State back in 2008.

I read earlier today on a website, the following information.

''Kansas: Per source, David Beaty also plans to retain Louie Matsakis (role to be determined). So, Bowen, Mitchell and Matsakis will be retained. We understand the rest of the full-time assistants have been released.''

Cody Riedy 7 years, 8 months ago

I hoped we'd keep Kiseau too or at least I should say, I didn't think Kiseau deserved to essentially be fired. One negative about Kiseau is that most of his experience was west coast/ PAC 12; not sure what kind of recruiter he was / would be working in this region.

Michael Maris 7 years, 8 months ago

I had nothing against Kiesau at all. But, I'm betting that he tries to get a gig at Oregon State (now that they're looking for a new head coach as well). Kiesau's a West Coast guy. And, with Beaty being named the HC at Kansas. I'm sure that Kiesau seen the hand writing on the wall.

Aaron Paisley 7 years, 8 months ago

If Campo wanted to stay and was let go, that is a huge mistake on Beaty's part. If Campo wanted to move on and retire or move closer to home, I have nothing against him for that.

Matsakis is a good kicking coach, but I hope that's all his role ends up being and not special teams coordinator because he can't scheme for crap.

I'm glad Mitchell is being retained and hopefully he continues as recruiting coordinator as well.

I would've liked to have seen Kiesau be retained, but if Beaty is going also coach WR's, then Kiesau doesn't have a role and is an understandable release.

I'm glad all the other coaches were released because Beaty can get at least as good position coaches and make it his staff.

Michael Maris 7 years, 8 months ago

I'ld sure have Clint Bowen contact the Davis Twins at Blue Springs to try like heck to get them to decommit from Nebraska and commit to Kansas. 2 DL'man right there. Perhaps, get the DL Coach at Nebraska to come coach for the Jayhawks.

Chase Topliff 7 years, 8 months ago

Tait,

I am sure you know how this works a lot better than I do.

Will Beaty just try and work his magic with the recruiting pool that KU has already established?

Does he add in some kids from the Texas A&M pool?

Does he add in kids that weren't quite good enough for the Texas A&M pool but would be good for KU even though there is short time to recruit?

I know he can't fix this thing over night, but I have been constantly wondering what kind of magic he can pull with this recruiting class given what time he DOES have.