Originally published January 30, 2012 at 12:17p.m., updated January 30, 2012 at 08:44p.m.

Two more in Class of 2012 pick Kansas

Jayhawks add QB Turner Baty and CB Tyree Williams

Recent recruiting visits continue to be fruitful for the Kansas University football program.

One day after landing two commitments in the Class of 2012 — Dallas linebacker Courtney Arnick and El Camino CC defensive tackle Jordan Tavai committed to KU on Sunday — the KU coaches picked up two more oral commitments on Monday, as City College of San Francisco quarterback Turner Baty and Sugar Land, Texas, athlete Tyree Williams both pledged their services to the Jayhawks.

Baty, 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, announced his commitment Monday night. He comes to KU with three years of eligibility remaining and the understanding that Notre Dame transfer Dayne Crist is expected to be KU’s starter this fall.

That hardly seemed to matter to Baty, who threw for 3,100 yards, 42 touchdowns and completed 64 percent of his passes during CCSF’s run to a national title in 2011. From the time he arrived in Lawrence on his visit up to the time he committed Monday night, Baty raved about the Jayhawks, his new teammates and the treatment he was given while in Lawrence.

"I have always been told no and that people don't think I can do it," Baty told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com. "I have been a quarterback on a team that won a state title and a national title. It gives me an edge. I don't care what my stars or rating is. I will go in and work harder than anyone else. That's how I am going to approach it."

With BYU transfer Jake Heaps forced to sit out the 2012 season and the other QBs on KU’s roster limited in their experience, Baty gives KU coach Charlie Weis proven depth and experience at quarterback.

Earlier Monday, Williams, 6-0, 190, announced that he had picked Kansas over SMU. The main reasons Williams picked KU were the coaching staff and the town itself.

"I felt like it was the right spot for me," Williams told Kirby. "I thought coach Weis and Dave Campo are great coaches. I want to be a part of the turnaround at Kansas. I love the coaching staff and how they interacted with the players."

Similar words came from Tavai, 6-3, 280, on Sunday night.

"I want to play for (KU assistant coach) Buddy Wyatt and coach Dave Campo," Tavai told Kirby. "I want to get into Kansas and help turn the program around. The two schools were even but I thought Kansas had the better coaches. Kansas has the coaches with the NFL experience that will help me."

The addition of Baty and Williams brings KU’s count to 18, including the three transfers who already are on campus (Crist, Heaps and wide receiver Justin McCay). That number does not include Butler County CC defensive tackle Chaquil Reed, who committed to KU last week but seemed to switch his commitment to K-State over the weekend.

Weis said earlier this month that he expected the Class of 2012 to be in the 20s. He also said he would purposely save a few spots for more transfers.

Comments

Richard Payton 10 years, 6 months ago

Remarkable job of bringing in quality football players that have a desire to turn Jayhawk football into a winning program. These coaches seem focused on doing what the say.

podjhwk 10 years, 6 months ago

What is athlete is quotes??? That seems to be implying that this guy isn't that impressive.

Ethan Berger 10 years, 6 months ago

All it means is that he can play multiple positions. For instance played running back in high school but will play wideout or a defensive spot in college

Travis Clementsmith 10 years, 6 months ago

Also, sometimes "athletes" play a position in high school that they won't in college simply because they are the most talented at their position. You'll see this a lot in the QB and LB position. The coach puts the player in the position that he believes will most help his team, but his skills may translate better to safety in the college game.

Rolland Remmert 10 years, 6 months ago

You can note on the ESPN scroll tonite they are using the ATH designation on a number of today's commits. Don't recall this in previous years

Jake Powell 10 years, 6 months ago

What position does this 'athlete' play???

Kevin Heath 10 years, 6 months ago

Rivals calls him a "talented corner from Houston."

dustfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Based on him mentioning Campo I assume he will be on Defense. DB makes since.

JayHawkFanToo 10 years, 6 months ago

Athlete is a player that is capable of playing several position and not necessarily the one he played in HS. Look a the Rivals top 100 list, a bunch of players are listed as Athletes. http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/rankings/rank-2867

Brennan Keller 10 years, 6 months ago

Another great pick up by the KU coaching staff! Rock chalk!

johnnyhrdwd 10 years, 6 months ago

"Athlete" is a good thing if you haven't followed college football recruiting. Charles Gordon was probably listed as an athlete. I'll take a chip on the shoulder over a blue chip any day.

honk_for_hawks 10 years, 6 months ago

Another good example is Tysyn Hartman, the safety at KSU. He was in the grade below me at my high school and played QB in HS but obviously turned into a great defender at the college level due to his athleticism.

Ron Prichard 10 years, 6 months ago

"The two schools (Kansas/Texas Tech) were even but I thought Kansas had the better coaches. Kansas has the coaches with the NFL experience that will help me."

Man, I love this quote! This is exactly what KU has needed for a long time. To think, two years ago, many fans wanted the coaching staff that is currently at TT. If the game day coaching is as positive as the recruiting vibe and the apparent new dedication in the weight room, this could be a pretty fun season, with more to look forward to in the coming years.

I feel like @100. Where is that guy anyway? Optimism was his specialty.

10 years, 6 months ago

Just beat South Dakota State! :^)

Jonathan Allison 10 years, 6 months ago

One rumored that he went to jail, then had no information to back up those claims.

Chris Bruning 10 years, 6 months ago

I think the more reliable source said he passed away, 100 hasn't posted since oct. 2011. I hate to hear that, but its not a for sure thing....

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

I hope you're wrong, RCJ. I understand the need for confidentiality, but if something like that were to happen wouldn't it be nice if the LJW could let the rest of us know about it? I suppose it's unrealistic to hope for that.

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

I guess that's assuming the LJW would know about it, which is a major assumption.

dylans 10 years, 6 months ago

Indeed, the LJW knows very little of me or you I assume. The inactivity of 100's account is indicative of something serious though. Jail or death are the most likely causes for someone that passionate to completely disappear. What concerns me the most is that there are computers in jail...

Mike Kendall 10 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I said the same exact thing during the live post at Iowa State. I enjoyed 100's posts too, but it sounds like he could be at the Phog in the sky. Miss you 100!

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

You idiots! 100 took our $6million and is now coaching at Liberty

Cmill1221 10 years, 6 months ago

LOL. @100... He left with Gill. The big difference is we actually have something to be optimistic about, not just blind loyalty. The turn around in the KU football program has been amazing just look at the buzz around the program now compared to three months ago. It's amazing!!

Ron Prichard 10 years, 6 months ago

Actually, the quote was from Tavai, the DT that committed yesterday. His decision was between KU and TT. Tyree Williams was down to KU and SMU.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

No kidding, but you didn't specify that it was and since this article was about Williams everyone assumed you were talking about him.

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

Several posters he was close to have indicated that he said his health was deteriorating and that he wasn't sure when he'd be back. He always saw the glass half full and never slammed anyone, unlike what a lot of the posters seem to do now.

I could name names, but why bother...even idiots have the freedom of speech.

Troll_or_AntiTroll 10 years, 6 months ago

Did he pick KU over SMU or Texas Tech (or both)?

Matt Tait 10 years, 6 months ago

Steve Brown 10 years, 6 months ago

LJW we appreciate the confidentiality of the rats, yet many of us miss 100. So could you email him or her and let them know we hope 100 is safe and sound and let us know if 100 is in need and maintain confidential nature of the vine.

10 years, 6 months ago

LOL! Matt deleted his own comment - - not sure how it violated the usage agreement :^)

Matt Tait 10 years, 6 months ago

Haha... I guess, technically, it didn't, but it sure added to the confusion of the SMU/Texas Tech question... Didn't want that.

I'll behave, though. Ha!

jhox 10 years, 6 months ago

Big Mo on your thumbnail picture...I like it Troll_or_antitroll...

Steve Brown 10 years, 6 months ago

Normally a recruting class isn't judged until 3 years later, get 20 young kids redshirt 2/3 of them put them in weight room and film study if they have talent let them play on special teams next year. However, with the transfers and JUCO studs and the state of our program, some of our newbies will be playing this fall & next. Will be fun to see results of better position coaching on the scoreboard.

Willie Pless. how many recall his heart and drive, he was in on almost every tackle. A tad undersized yet appeared on the field as a bull dog Dick Butkus under a crimson & blue helmet. Went on to award winning CFL career.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I think you are spot on. I can't wait to see the difference in scheming & playcalling this coming season. I am not expecting a bowl game the first year (though it is possible), but I think the ship is going to get righted in the offseason.

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

Loved Willie Pless. He's still one of my all-time favorites.

It's going to be interesting to see where KU is predicted to finish this season. That would have to be a difficult thing to predict, given all the changes.

Matt Kenton 10 years, 6 months ago

Or if you are Bill Snyder, play your best and most dependable players on special teams and steal a win or two because of it!

Kman_blue 10 years, 6 months ago

Willie was also voted the best LB in the history of the Big 8 by the Big 8. That's the best LB to EVER play in the Big 8 and it was voted on by the Big 8 itself, not some outside media or something. Willie also has the unofficial All-time tackling record in the history of the NCAA. KU kept the stat, but unfortunately the NCAA didn't keep it officially at the time, but Willie's tackling total at KU is about 300 more than the "official" NCAA record holder. 300 more!

Willie had more heart and drive than anyone else I've seen play the game. He's 1 of a kind and we'd be extremely lucky to get another 1 like him not to mention a few!

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

It's criminal that he never got a chance in the NFL. I know he went on to a brilliant hall-of-fame career in the CFL, but he still deserved a chance to show what he could have done in the NFL.

Bee Bee 10 years, 6 months ago

Willie Pless was a BEAST! One of my favorite Jayhawks of all time. He was a tackling machine!

Stephen Johnson 10 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely loved Willie Pless. That guy had tons of heart and a motor that would not stop.

Ben Kane 10 years, 6 months ago

taking a recruit away from texas tech may not seem like a big deal, but it is. this is not something that we could have done last year. yes, the guy is only a 2star but we can't start taking recruits from lsu and alabama right away, we have to work up to that.

Just think, in 2022 after we've been in BCS bowl games for five years straight, nobody will remember how bad we've been.

alternate universe just think, in 2022 after we've done well in the football playoffs for five years straight, nobody will remember how bad we've been.

BigJayhawkPhan 10 years, 6 months ago

It's NOT Tech...Tech wasn't on his offer list and he was at SMU just prior to leaving for Lawrence.

Ron Prichard 10 years, 6 months ago

Tavai WAS between KU and TT. Williams was between KU and SMU.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

lol You're the one that made this confusing to everyone by your original post.

Daniel Kennamore 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey Matt, if you are still reading the comments...

Any word on when we'll get our hands on the Big 12 football schedule? I thought they were supposed to come out today.

Casey Gee 10 years, 6 months ago

They announced that by February they will have the schedules out. Feb. 1 is Wednesday, so I think they should be out this week.

JayHok 10 years, 6 months ago

Tait had it right. Tavai chose KU over Texas Tech. Williams chose KU over SMU.

BigJayhawkPhan 10 years, 6 months ago

Sorry, I'm responding to the article "Texas athlete, Tyree Williams, commits to KU football"...missed that some were talking about Tavai.

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Not sure Tavai chose us over TT though. I think it was more of a matter of TT not having enough scholarships left after they got the commitment (CB I think ) that they were looking for. Once that transpired, he chose us (his second choice). Even so, a good pickup.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

These are the most confusing message board post ever! A player without a position, reporters deleting their own comments, people confusing highland park with Lubbock. What's next, people jumping on my pro Japanese whaling crusade?

Brak 10 years, 6 months ago

I know right, whats more confusing is this kid only got an offer from SMU and you didn't make one negative remark. I mean you would of had a field day with Gill if he brought this kid in, only 2 stars and no other BCS offers. Also I have no problem with your crusade to bang a bunch of Japanese whales, they need lovin too.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

If it was a Gill recruit the schools initials would of been SMU but it would of stood for Southwestern Missouri University (of the blind).

This kid is obviously "filler" with "potential". HCCW has already demonstrated he can pull in the big dogs and will continue to impress even more given full recruiting seasons.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

And at 6' 190 Gill would of made him play nose guard.

mjhawkchalk 10 years, 6 months ago

Shut your mouth, ahpersecoachingecperience. Gill would be bringing in the same level of high school/juco recruits. The only thing HCCW has done differently is bring in three "former" 5 star recruits. Not saying that's a bad thing, but TG recruited very well at KU. It seems you always have some uneducated comment to make towards TG. It has gotten really old.

dylans 10 years, 6 months ago

Where is that? If you want to try and insult someone you should learn proper sentence structure. At the very least a coherent thought would be nice. Do you realize how ridiculous the statement "nuke the whales" is? Ok, let's nuke all of the oceans at once! What a genius you must be. I'll bet you ( a fool ) and your money are soon parted do to some silly hippy crap (organic food or green whatever). I hope you get splinters hugging those trees.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Side note: the JuCo QB from San Fran just tweeted Crist to "call him" my guess is this kid is a lock!

NebraskaJayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

He's just wanting to know if Crist thinks his knee will hold up through the whole season.

Bville Hawk 10 years, 6 months ago

You're really getting into this Twitter thing? Are you up to 10 followers yet?

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Oh, could be a Nancy Kerrigan type set up. Whhhhhy, Whhhhhhhy, Whhhhhhhhhy!

And ahperse nation is almost up to 20 followers. I would give away another "team ahperse" t-shirt except we are having a little trouble at the sweat shop, errrr, factory!

vd 10 years, 6 months ago

Who are the better recruits, the 2 star athletes or the 5 star athletes who were benched by their former coaches?

Randy Bombardier 10 years, 6 months ago

Looks like a very respectable class considering the late start. Very happy to see us go out and get more D talent. Can't wait to see what next year holds.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Turner Baty just committed on twitter. And by committed I mean sent Brandon Bourbon a message about not being able to wait to get in the weight room with him and our new S&C coach.

Good enough for me!

Matt Tait 10 years, 6 months ago

It's official... Just updated this story to reflect that. Great pick-up for KU.

BigJayhawkPhan 10 years, 6 months ago

That actually sounds gay...in a very literal sense.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

Not that there's anything wrong with that -Seinfield

Matt Tait 10 years, 6 months ago

That's correct. 3 years left.... Just changed it above. Meant to go back and change it when I originally wrote it, but I forgot. My bad. Thanks for checking it out.

Matt Tait 10 years, 6 months ago

Very possible... And probably ideal because that would mean Crist would stay healthy this year and they'd be set at QB for the next 4 years.

This year might be one thing, but I sure feel like it's gonna be tough to keep this guy off the field after that.

You're right, though, great to have those types of options.

Steven Mathew 10 years, 6 months ago

Wasn't he supposed to come in and compete for our back up job this year (which I believe he will get the job)? If he doesn't receive the back up job, then it's possible he red shirts this season.

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

Maybe the best thing would be to declare him a redshirt but still have him as the backup in case he's needed. That way if Crist gets hurt, he could come in and burn the redshirt, but if Crist says healthy he would be available for the next three years.

David Meredith 10 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like the old NBA free throw rule... 3 to make 2!

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

I like the reference, dallas.

I always liked that rule -- although having 2 to make 1 after a score was a little ridiculous.

Imagine how many points Shaq could have scored if they had kept that rule in place when he was going to the line!

Kenny Terry 10 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations to coach Weiss and the rest of the staff on bringin in these recruits in a short amount of time. Can't wait till the spring game and gameday Saturdays next season. Rock chalk go KU

nativeson 10 years, 6 months ago

Coach Weiss and his staff should be commended on their efforts in such a short time frame. Let's face it, the program was on life support prior to his arrival. The excitement will definitely need to deliver in time, but it is in a much better place than we were just two months ago.

I think the strategy taken by Dr. Zenger was correct. In order for the program to jump start it had to differentiate itself. This staff can talk to kids about the NFL, and that is what they are focused on when they get recruited by DI schools.

My guess is that there will be some fallout from the assortment of Juco and transfer players. But, it is a consequence of leaving the cupboard bare.

championhawks 10 years, 6 months ago

There could be a fallout from getting Juco players and transfers, but I think it will depend on how well KU recruits the next 2 years. If they can bring in quality freshman and supplement with a few Juco and transfers, there shouldn't be any fallout!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

All grab-assing aside, honest opinion guys......is a 6-6 record even a possibility for the Jayhawks next season?

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Could be, but I wouldn't throw my money on it. I think they have a big up hill battle to climb yet.

Not just in terms of being better, but learning to win, getting ahead and staying there and so on.

I would like to see it though.

KCJay 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you. We should have had 5 wins last season(Baylor, ISU, and TT) until we through them away. We are going to have so much more talent(on both sides of the field) than last year. So, yes we are going to have at least a 6-6 season. So pack your bags, we be going to a bowl game!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, only positive comments. This, obviously, is a non-negative chat.

justinryman 10 years, 6 months ago

Matt, any indication when the football schedule might come out?

I know it has everything to do with West Virginia and the lil East, but just wondering if you have heard anything lately/

Thanks.