Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Wally Judge quits K-State basketball team

Kansas forward Markieff Morris battles for a rebound with Kansas State forward Wally Judge during the first half on Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

— Kansas State coach Frank Martin says forward Wally Judge has quit the team.

Martin announced the departure of the 6-foot-9 sophomore Monday afternoon, quoting Judge as saying he was unhappy.

Judge had been in and out of the Wildcats lineup this season.

He played in 17 of Kansas State’s 22 games, averaging 5.5 points, 3.8 rebounds and 15.2 minutes. He started 11 games early in the season, but missed five for personal or disciplinary reasons.

Martin said he wasn’t surprised.

“I kind of saw it coming with some of his emotional situations,” Martin said at his regularly scheduled news conference. “He just has not been enjoying it. He told me today that he thinks it’s time for a change.”

Judge played 17 minutes in Saturday’s 90-66 loss at then-No. 6 Kansas, scoring five points and grabbing two rebounds before fouling out.

His departure is the latest tremor in what started as a promising year for the Wildcats (14-8, 2-5 Big 12), who began as preseason favorites to win the conference but now rank only above 1-6 Iowa State in Big 12 play.

Freddy Asprilla, a 6-10 junior-college transfer and Colombia native who had been expected to add heft and offense inside this year, abruptly quit the program in early January.

The Wildcats are 5-6 overall since Dec. 21, when senior guard and acknowledged team leader Jacob Pullen was suspended for three games and forward Curtis Kelly for six after questions were raised about clothing they had obtained at a Manhattan department store.

Kansas State won a school-record 29 games last year and advanced to the quarterfinals of the NCAA Tournament.

Comments

KEITHMILES05 11 years, 7 months ago

That program is a trainwreck and in total meltdown. Not a pretty sight and it is only going to get worse.

BlueSkyHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Couldn't have happened to a better bunch of fans!!!

nwhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

It's too bad, really. I'd rather we beat them when they're respectable.

Otownhawker 11 years, 7 months ago

This is great. I love when bad things happen to kstate and mizzou

waywardJay 11 years, 7 months ago

Disagree Otown, this hurts us. K-state falling apart is a terrible thing for the conference, it makes us less prepared to play in March and possibly April.

Pullen works his butt off out there and he deserves to go out better than this.

Asprilla Quits. Judge Quits.

Their big rotation is down to Samuels, Kelley ( who Martin almost refuses to play ) and...... Rodriguezz 7'2 180 kid ?

Lastly, this is a big blow to Frank Martin who is begining to look like a coaching casuality when the season is over, if not sooner. They flat out have Quit on Martin.

This was a team I loved to fear.... it's a shame really. Looked forward to seeing what they had in Manhattan.

meastland 11 years, 7 months ago

WWJ - I agree 100%. This KSU nosedive does nothing but weaken a great overall conference. I hope they can get it turned around and make a run.

HalsteadHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Actually, it appears that the strength of a team conference schedule really doesn't have an effect on how they play in March. http://uponfurtherreview.kansascity.com/?q=node/2910 Not sure if I agree with that or not...

The real problem here will be the next round of conference realignments. If a conference has to take KU & k-state as a package deal and they have a crappy b-ball & f-ball, it'll make it that much harder to stay in a major conference.

Don Everett 11 years, 7 months ago

Get real. This doesn't hurt KU at all. Like Tyshawn said, they weren't a rival anyway. KU is 42-2 the last 44 games. Having 2 potetial blowouts against the kitties this year will do nothing to KU to be less prepared in March and/or April. Did KU fall off the map in the past years? NO. It is always great when the kitties and moosouri fail.

David Lara 11 years, 7 months ago

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Adding a knock-down, drag-out brawl against a top 15 team 3 times a season is the best preparation you can get. Taking that away will undoubtedly make a team that much weaker. You are only as good as you prepare and having to prepare for tough teams makes you tougher, it's not rocket science. KU play through some pretty weak conferences in the 90s while Duke and NC were beating each other to a bloody pulp and preparing themselves for final fours and hardware. It's not a coincidence. This is definitely bad for KU and the Big 12 (or whatever semblance of a Big 12 there will be).

vc727 11 years, 7 months ago

Tyshawn is only the most recent person to comment on the KU KSU "Rivalry" I remember hearing Huggins say the same thing as he huffed off the court while he was there. "rivalry, what rivalry you have to win one once in a while to have a rivalry"

COJayhawker 11 years, 7 months ago

I totally agree. None of this cr@p about a strong Big XII and it's more fun when KSU and MU are good. It's not more fun when they're good. It's more fun when we beat them by 20+ and send their fans home demoralized and weeping.

Hank Cross 11 years, 7 months ago

Doesn't really make a difference to KU. The B12 is the worst BB conference in the BCS. Take KU out of the equation and the rest of these also-rans are only marginally better than the Mountain West. Anything that makes it easier for KU to run the table is a good thing. There's no reason to feel sympathy for KSU as many of their fans cheer for Mizery over us out of spite and envy.

Alex Berger 11 years, 7 months ago

Ha the Pac-10 is not even close to being superior in basketball even without Kansas with #3 Texas, #14 Missouri, and #16 A&M being higher ranked than any PAC-10 school. Then the only school ranked in the ACC is Duke (6) and Fla St (22). So maybe what you mean to say is that the Big Ten and Big East are better but that's it?

bayareajhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

I couldn't disagree more with you about the relative strength of the Big XII. There is no conference in the country that is as tough as the Big XII top to bottom. The worst teams in the Big XII are better than the worst teams in any other conference (current bottom 2: Iowa State and Kansas State, both with 14-8 records).

The Big East has 16 teams and some of them are good but some of them are terrible. Does anybody fear going to DePaul? Providence? South Florida? Rutgers? The Big 10 is looking pretty good this year. But Iowa is worse than anybody in the Big XII. Iowa State is last in the Big XII and they beat Iowa in their rivalry game, so there's not much to argue there. That's the closest conference, though. The ACC will likely end up with four or five teams with losing records. The Pac-10 has some bad teams as well. Colorado beat Oregon State 83-57 and Oregon State has won 3 conference games.

I'm not sure why you think the Big XII is so bad. I think it is consistently underrated by the national media, and it should be a way bigger deal that KU has been able to win it so many times in a row. There are always 2 or 3 (sometimes more) national contenders in the conference, and the worst teams have really been pretty good the last few years. I don't think any other conference can match it top to bottom. The Big East might have more national contenders, but there are always several terrible teams in the 16.

Hank Cross 11 years, 7 months ago

I meant historically with the exception of KU the B12 is a weak BB conference. Based on history, I expect that when it is all said and done this year, KU may be the only B12 school to do well in the tourney. The fact is that KU is the only B12 North school to make it to the FF since the league's inception, and the only B12 school to appear in the title game, much less win it. Even if you include the B12 schools' titles from prior conferences, the picture does not improve that much as OSU is the only other school to have won a national championship.

Dale Kroening 11 years, 7 months ago

What are you smoking ? Worst BB conference in the BCS, you have got to be high.....

JayhawkRock 11 years, 7 months ago

I hear that even Nick Russell could leave the program...Man if you think KSUck is bad this year just wait until next year...ouch.

theajayhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

I think Martin's days are numbered. With current players leaving and any high class recruits unlikely to commit, the program is headed downhill. I am Jayhawk fan, but wish KState to be good.

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 7 months ago

Agree. He berates his players when they are playing well & winning and sits on the bench with a whipped dog look when they are losing. One Elite 8 run does not make a great coach.

Kevin Studer 11 years, 7 months ago

I have a lot of respect for Frank Martin. The man was an inner city high school teacher for many years in tough schools in Florida. He tried to instill toughness and character into players who clearly would rather be treated as divas. This says a whole lot more about what kind of person Judge is than it does about Martin.

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 7 months ago

DISagree, cusack. I'll say it again. Frank Martin will NOT be the coach of ksu next season.

Kevin Studer 11 years, 7 months ago

Sure, he may be fired. But that doesn't say anything about the man.

bbhawk234 11 years, 7 months ago

Frank will not be fired...Last year he got a raise and extension. Kstate cannot afford to buy his contract out and find another decent coach to pay on top of everything. In this economy no way he is fired this year.

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 7 months ago

Ok, I never said he would be fired, just said he wouldn't be the head coach there. Jeff Fisher and the Titans "parted ways". Lots of ways to leave an organization. Just sayin'.........

Hawk1969 11 years, 7 months ago

Yes, and he was fired for cheating at the high school level. I have absolutely no respect for Martin or ksu.

Bob Thompson 11 years, 7 months ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Frank Martin come to KSU with a dark cloud over his head. Something about recruting players against NCAA rules and got away with it because he wasn't a coach at the time. Only after he got some outstanding recutes did KSU hire him. That whole thing just didn't smell right......

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 7 months ago

No, he came in as an assistant under Huggins. There had been questions about recruiting on his high school team that got him fired. Nothing to do with NCAA. He was retained after Huggins left them in the lurch even though he had no college coaching experience. Everyone figured it was just a move by K-State to keep Beasley and Walker, but he actually did well even after Beasley and Walker left. Weak recruiting and (my opinion) worthless assistants brought them to this low point.

Andrew Moore 11 years, 7 months ago

This is the worst Big 12 meltdown since OU (last year). Its pretty remarkable how the 2nd best teams in the league, both suffer incredible meltdowns the next year. It could even be compared to Texas' problems last year.

ManOnTheMoon 11 years, 7 months ago

Will someone please, please put a tent over the circus in Manhattan...

Saad Saifeddine 11 years, 7 months ago

This is just not good for the big 12. It also shows Frank Martin's lack of leadership.

Jeff Coffman 11 years, 7 months ago

Didn't a player also transfer in the off-season for "personal reasons". (Colon or something like that?)

Frank Martin isn't good for our conference. Every news story is about his stare. If a stare was considered good coaching, I think a lot of our mothers would be great coaches....but he just is disrespectful.

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 7 months ago

It was Dominique Sutton. So that makes 3. Not good for Frank & ksu.

marvinhawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Went to the the K-State/Baylor game last Monday and couldn't help but notice Judge looking like a lost bench warmer. This is a former McDonalds boy riding the bench and not doing well once he gets in the game. My K-State buddy said he was a head case. K-State is having a Micah Downs moment.

mphawk27 11 years, 7 months ago

I don't know about you guys but I am less than surprised at this year's developments. I think the initial "Frank Martin is so passionate" feelings are wearing off to reveal that Frank is really just not a good coach. You can only win so many games by playing physical and getting the other team to get into a scrapfest with you all game. At some point you need to be able to play the chess match and I think Frank is not capable of this. Also, given way he is willing to behave on the bench during nationally televised games I can only imagine how terrible it has to be in practice right now during this tough stretch. I know the kids should be tough and deal with it, but I do not doubt that Frank takes it too far sometimes. There's passionate and then just plain uncalled for. I wouldn't play for this guy either.

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 7 months ago

In regard to K-State's season this year------as many of us have said before-----there's always next year!

For Frank Martin, next year might not come. I could see a former player/coach taking over at K-State sometime down the road. A good example of this: The "Mayor" taking over at Iowa State.

Someone said, "Frank Martin's days are numbered at K-State." Yep, I believe that is true. It is imploding big time for Bob Huggins former assistant.

ManOnTheMoon 11 years, 7 months ago

Too bad for Judge, he was probably the highest recruit since B-easy. Judge wound up an McDonald's All American Cheeseburger. What has gone wrong?? Everyone was sweating Martin's nuts last year now he's lost his entire team, either literally (Judge, Sutton, Asparagus) or mentally (Pullen calling out his big men/Martin). I really feel for McGruder. This guy seems to be the only Cat out there that puts his 100% effort in every night. Happy Trails in Manhattan but I really hope this epic slide turns around for the sake of the conference.

tis4tim 11 years, 7 months ago

The freshman Spradling is solid and he'll be a very good player when all is said and done...if he stays. He's a Kansas kid from Shawnee Mission South.

Rob Kanavy 11 years, 7 months ago

I think all this boils down to spoiled kids who want instant gratification. When things don't go their way, they quit! When KU thrashed them last saturday, the K-State kids quit. Now Judge quits. I hope the rest of them buckle down and do what they can to salvage their season. It is nice to beat them down, but KU is better when K-State and Mizzou are revelant.

Robert Brock 11 years, 7 months ago

Judge looked like a tough guy and everyone - including the McDonalds folks - bit into it. Turns out that he is just a creampuff.

westernkshawk 11 years, 7 months ago

Kids are willing to hang in there and take abuse (and that's exactly what it is) when they are winning and everyone is singing their praises. But when things get tough they tend to think, what in the hell am I taking this for anyhow? I'm getting out! I have thought the same thing as mphawk many times. If it's this bad on national TV, you can only imagine what goes on behind closed doors. It's a wonder he hasn't killed someone!! deja vu to Mangino--when he was winning, people didn't care how he treated his players. But when the wins went south, that's when the fury started!!

OldOldHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

You could see this coming a couple of years ago. Eventually the lunatic screaming and "the stare" would cost him. It had to. It doesn't mean today's players are divas -- although they may be. It means they are sane people with some self-respect. I wouldn't play for anybody who acts like Martin does, and I didn't expect anybody else to either. No surprise at all, here.

OldOldHawk 11 years, 7 months ago

jaybark 11 years, 7 months ago

From an outsider view, I've actually dug Martin these past few years. The crazy seemed to work for him and it's been nice having KU/K-State matter again. However, I always felt like it was going to turn into a Mangino deal where, as soon as the Cats started losing games, he'd be seen more as a jerk than "old school" or "throwback". Statey friend of mind says inside scoop is Judge wanted time away from the team to star in Avatar II, but Frank wouldn't budge.

ku11 11 years, 7 months ago

I think Martin's rage is for show anyway. There are plenty of coaches out there who don't yell and throw tantrems like him and still win games.

ahpersecoachingexperience 11 years, 7 months ago

Any word on if Willie the Wildcat will be leaving the team?

bbhawk234 11 years, 7 months ago

I heard that he filed a lawsuit wanting his fur back in these winter months.

Martin Rosenblum 11 years, 7 months ago

I don't think "quitting on a team", when the team is KState, would put him in bad shape to seek a new team. I can't cite any situations, though, where a player just walked away from a program and landed in a "honey hole" where they prospered. Usually, it seems that they fade into the sunset and probably regret their actions. Micha Downs had some success as did David Padgett. But, they still didn't take their new teams to any promised lands. The grass is usually greener.

Scott Lippoldt 11 years, 7 months ago

I read a rumor that there was a 15-year-old pregnant girl involved with Wally's quitting the team. Is there any truth to that?

Andrew Dunlap 11 years, 7 months ago

as an alum of both schools, (KU Law) I want k state to do well. Martin is either too tough, or he isn't recruiting the right talent. It maybe a little of both. Scott Drew at Baylor is going through the same thing, highly regarded recruits with little to show for it. Kansas recruits great talent but there are things that are expected from the players and not every player can fit in. I hope that Martin can turn things around because with a 10 team league, we don't to become like conference USA