Thursday, December 15, 2011

Former KU coach Turner Gill hired at Liberty University

Kansas head coach Turner Gill walks off the field after falling to Texas A&M, 61-7, Saturday, Nov. 19, 2011 at Kyle Stadium in College Station, Texas.

Former Kansas coach Turner Gill has been hired as the eighth coach at Liberty University — an FCS school in Lynchburg, Va.

Gill will be introduced as coach at a news conference on Thursday afternoon.

"As we conducted this search during the past nine days, his name was recommended to us over and over from coaches and athletics directors from around the country as the right man to lead our football program," Liberty athletic director Jeff Barber said. "Turner embraces all that Liberty is and stands for and it will be a privilege to work alongside him as we continue to move our football program forward."

Gill, who was fired by KU on Nov. 27, posted a 5-19 record in two seasons with the Jayhawks.

Liberty's website describes the school as "the largest private non-profit university in the nation, the largest university in Virginia, and the largest Christian university in the world."

"Every indication is that (Gill) is a perfect fit for Liberty University," LU chancellor and president Jerry Falwell, Jr. said. "His experience is at the level where we would like to take our football program. His Christian faith is strong and sincere and what any new recruit would expect to see in a Liberty University head football coach. I think Liberty University and Turner Gill were made for each other."

Comments

hawk316 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm happy for Coach Gill. This looks like a really good fit for him.

Gill took a lot of heat from fans while at KU, but despite his lack of success on the field, it's easy to root for the guy. From all reports from those who know him and work with him, he is truly an outstanding person. A won-lost record should never be the determining factor in judging a person's true success in life.

In short, Gill is one of the good ones, and I wish him the very best in his future endeavors.

Calijhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Terrific, Coach! Could not have landed in a better place for you!

texashawk10 10 years, 6 months ago

I wish Gill all the best at Liberty. He did not come to KU with the intention of making KU a punchline and he did nothing off the field to embarrass himself or KU and he has all the character qualities you'd love to see in the face of a program. Unfortunately, he was not the answer for the Jayhawks but now KU has someone with the tool set to make KU a respectable program and Liberty has a coach the embodies the qualities and values of that university.

Dan Spurgin 10 years, 6 months ago

Unless the rumors of notable increases in academic failure are true -- then I think you could argue that he did something off the field to embarrass KU. Not enough to build men of faith. Have to build men of reason too.

Graczyk 10 years, 6 months ago

I was troubled by the rumors of academic failings, but isn't that an athletic department issue more than a coach issue? I am not saying this in defense of TG, but in worry that this particular problem might not be solved.

ChesterCopperpot 10 years, 6 months ago

Charlie Weis and others get all the credit for academic success of their programs, why shouldn't TG take the wrap for academic failings?

William James 10 years, 6 months ago

I think your post is geniune and classy, but I do disagree with the part where you said Gill never did anything to embarrass himself off the field. Did you ever see any of his press conferences while he was at KU? I thought he embarrassed himself pretty bad in a lot of those.

gardenjay 10 years, 6 months ago

Good luck Turner - I for one really liked your positive attitude, and the way you took Baylor to overtime. You're a great guy, cheers.

jayhawkinATL 10 years, 6 months ago

Actually, more accurately, they took us to overtime. KU imploded in that one!

hawk316 10 years, 6 months ago

That Baylor loss might have been the final nail in his coffin (although the loss to Iowa State in Ames--a game we probably should have won, as well--didn't help his cause). If Gill had captured those two wins, which if you recall, would have matched the preseason predictions by a number of observers, GIll might have survived the season. As I said elsewhere, it would have been interesting to see what he could have done with more time, but that's now history. It's time to move on.

It now appears that things will work out for the best for both Gill (at Liberty) and KU (with Weis).

dtownhawkfan 10 years, 6 months ago

Did you also enjoy the way we blew a 21-point 4th quarter lead?

Brak 10 years, 6 months ago

I enjoyed the fact that at least we were competitive. NOBODY thought KU would be able to keep it within a 40 point loss let alone be up in the 4th quarter and should have won the game.

oldvet 10 years, 6 months ago

"I enjoyed the fact that at least we were competitive."

Kinda like finishing second in a gun fight...

KU_Alumn_2000 10 years, 6 months ago

Congrats Coach Gill ! Glad you were able to land a job so quickly. Will be rooting for you.

Ben Kliewer 10 years, 6 months ago

Perfect fit. Perhaps an answered prayer. Great opportunity for Coach Gill and Liberty. Best wishes coach!

johnnyhrdwd 10 years, 6 months ago

Did they give him a raise? God knows he needs it.

Kevin Studer 10 years, 6 months ago

That was what I was thinking. All of this feel-good stuff for a guy who earned $10 million to be one of the worst D1 coaches ever? Yeah. Yay for Gill! I was worried he would be unemployed and starving this year!

John Boyle 10 years, 6 months ago

You have no class whatsoever.

No one wants to be unemployed except the millions of lazy lowlifes that want the government to take care of them.

Eric Williams 10 years, 6 months ago

I think John was referring to people perpetually on welfare (which isn't always fair criticism).

One should avoid sweeping generalizations regarding class and poverty, as there are a great many reasons why a person might be unable to work.

John Boyle 10 years, 6 months ago

Not talking about the people who are legit. I was referring to the individuals that abuse the system and have no intentions of ever working or even looking for work. I know a lot of them.

Kevin Studer 10 years, 6 months ago

Wow, JayhawkJohnny, you completely missed my point.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 6 months ago

Its hilarious how everyone on welfare is automatically assumed to be committing welfare fraud... oh Kansas.

John Boyle 10 years, 6 months ago

Didn't say that. That was your generalization. I was simply referring to the fact that a lot of people get unemployment that could be out looking for work but would rather just collect unemployment.

golfingmatt 10 years, 6 months ago

"I was referring to the individuals that abuse the system and have no intentions of ever working or even looking for work. I know a lot of them."

Where do you live?

There is a difference between unemployment benefits and welfare. Unemployment benefits do not last forever as you are indicating. This forces individuals to look for employment.

gongs4ku 10 years, 6 months ago

Glad to see a great guy get another chance. Looks like a much better fit, too.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

I hope he does horrible.

Who recommended this guy, I hope it wasn't SZ. Is Liberty going for the worst record in football ever? This is the guy that was 20-30 in some terrible conference and when given a chance in a real conference went 5-19.

He was .500 in DII, I assume this is a DII school, so if he carries that same record forward, you'll be hating life, just like all of KU did when he was here.

He'll always be known as the worst Head Coach in KU Football History.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

Name a few things that he did as quality man?

He couldn't coach He couldn't get the players to go to class He wasn't known in the community for performing charitable acts, I actually haven't seen once when his name was tied to some event of charity.
You are probably talking about the quality survey that he did at the beginning of the year to show that all the football players had things in common. Or maybe it was the 6 commits that he got to come to KU after coaching for 2 years.

He coached against DII or whatever it is called now, and had a .500 record while at KU against that level.

cojayhawk99 10 years, 6 months ago

Mike Kendall 10 years, 6 months ago

I echo the thoughts of a lot of folks above---congrats on the new gig, Coach Gill. Best of luck and best wishes!

Chris Bruning 10 years, 6 months ago

Good luck Coach Gill. You are a great coach and a greater person, wish you nothing but the best at Liberty!!!!

Brandon Deines 10 years, 6 months ago

He's referencing his record against DII schools.

I sort of assumed that once it became apparent that most of Gill's players had any discipline on or off the field whatsoever, that many were constantly late for meetings, didn't go to class, weren't passing classes, and weren't passing drug tests that we would stop hearing about what a "quality man" he is.

Dan Spurgin 10 years, 6 months ago

Gil valued education? Gil valued a Christian morality. Don't confuse that with thinking he valued education more than others. Lots of reports out of KU football offices that lots of academic issues arose w/ TG. It appears that he actually undervalued education and over valued his Christian faith.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

I guess Liberty is going to overlook that whole "thou shall not steal" thing when it comes to Turner. Because he sure robbed us.

Anyone know if that 6 million dollar check has been cut yet? I have a strange feeling that some of his players behavior is being leaked and will soon be used to make a case for him being incompetent and negotiate a smaller buyout.

ku1otaku 10 years, 6 months ago

So, by the University paying what they agreed to pay Turner Gill is labled a thief? Dude, it was a bad contract. Get over it. Gill did nothing wrong by taking the 6 million that the University agreed to pay if they terminated him early.

Hank Cross 10 years, 6 months ago

If TG took the full buy-out, that says a lot about his so-called "good character." A real stand-up guy would admit that he was an over-paid, epic fail at the first school to give him a HC at a FBS school and not take all the money as a sign of gratitude.

ku1otaku 10 years, 6 months ago

Whatever dude. You guys are full of it if you honestly think that. You are judging someone's character based on the fact that he fulfilled the financial obligation the University had to him based off a bad contract. Gill's character has nothing to do it.

Eric Williams 10 years, 6 months ago

you would have taken the money and walked too, so get off your high horse.

Hammertoe 10 years, 6 months ago

No Man is Paid More that He is Worth. Economics 101.

hawk316 10 years, 6 months ago

ahperse, are you suggesting that you would return several million dollars to a company that hired you because it was not happy with your performance (although you were deeply committed to the job and worked very hard to succeed) and dismissed you before the contract expired? Seriously?

Be careful not to judge others by a standard to which you yourself would not adhere. I think they term such behavior as "hypocrisy."

KU_Alumn_2000 10 years, 6 months ago

Ahperse - they had the 6 million ready for him a long time ago.

ahpersecoachingexperience 10 years, 6 months ago

If it was me that was in Gill's place I would buy up an entire midfield section of seats to ku football games. Sit right in the middle of that section eating a t-bone steak of a working girls naked hinny while smoking a cigar I lite with a hundred dollar bill. But nobody has ever described me as a man of good moral value.

Eric Williams 10 years, 6 months ago

no one has ever described you as having "value"

onetonhand 10 years, 6 months ago

If you are looking for a refund, go find Lew Perkins. Gill was his hire. Perkins wrote that contract. I had strong doubts about Gills hiring but I took the wait and see approach. It looked like a bad hire and turned out that way. That being said Gill didn't give up and roll over and would have kept giving it his best. I don't wish ill to someone who tried. Perkins was a man that failed. Perkins legacy is one of scandal and poor judgment and poor ethics and basically disinterest in performing his duties. Perkins just really didn't give Sh*t about KU.

bradh 10 years, 6 months ago

Wow, there are some bitter, bitter people out there and all you're going to get in your stockings is a lump of coal. The man is gone, if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything.

Coach Gill came in and gave us everything he had and wasn't very successful with only one recruiting class and a bunch of kids who didn't necessarily fit his playing style, not a terrible surprise. I'd like to thank him for his effort, for not embarrassing the university off the field, and I wish him well in all his future endeavors.

Jrb09g 10 years, 6 months ago

Us? When did you walk-on to the team?

David Atchley 10 years, 6 months ago

Hmmmmm...Liberty University...for those of you who doubted Gill wasn't over his skis coaching at the Big 12 level of football, there's your proof.

That's about the equivalent of being run out of a storied program in the powerhouse of the SEC like Florida and ending up at Kansas...oh wait...that just happened as well!

Imagine the next school Weis ends up at after this experiment...I hope that pipeline remains strong to Bishop Miege!

smithy 10 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations Coach Gill for finding someone at Liberty University who is as incompetent as was Lou Perkins when he viewed you as head coaching material at a D1 school. I am especially pleased (actually overjoyed) that the job you found is somewhere, anywhere but here at KU. Liberty can look forward to having a nice, passive guy as their coach and winning precious few games. As you embark on this new adventure, you might consider demonstrating your Christian values by returning some of the money you received as a going away present. As you look at yourself in the mirror, the person therein looking back at you would have to admit it was money unearned. There may have been a bigger bust as a head coach but one would have to search long and hard to find such an example.

Aligned 10 years, 6 months ago

Wow. This is one of those posts that’s just too dumb to comment on.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 6 months ago

Yet your commenting! Coach Gill needs to pay back the money he took from the University no doubt about it.

John Boyle 10 years, 6 months ago

He signed a contract and he didn't walk out of it. The school did. He is entitled to the money. Quit whining about it. Besides it didn't come out of your pocket.

Ryan Mullen 10 years, 6 months ago

Actually both my wife and I are alumni and these things tend to trickle down. We donate quite a bit to the University.

ku1otaku 10 years, 6 months ago

Dumb, dumb, DUMB comment. Get over it. He signed the contract the University offered him. He is not at fault for the 6 million lost. It was the Universities poor decision. Blame them not Gill.

Dyrk Dugan 10 years, 6 months ago

let's clear this up: Liberty is an FCS school....the former division known as 1-AA. NDSU (a loss) and McNeese St. (a win)...and while at Buffalo, they beat Garnder-Webb.

So Gill is 2-1, as a head coach, vs. FCS schools...NOT DII. thanks for playing.

He'll do very well there. Liberty has a decent football team...and Gill's overall life philosophy fits in very well. Good luck to him, we wish he and his family very well. It will be interesting to follow them.

Eric Williams 10 years, 6 months ago

you shouldn't use facts when arguing with these people. just sayin.

Jeff Coffman 10 years, 6 months ago

Everyone knows that the FCS and DII and DIII were all the historic names. If you go look at the NCAA standards for elgibility and partial qualifiers they still use the DII and DIII names...so get over that.

Sorry, but Gill was 1-1 against DII schools while at KU...sorry I didn't research his days at Buffalo where he was amazingly 1-0 against those schools. Let's see if he was 20-30 overall, minus the one "freebie" he would have been 19-30 against D1 Competition. Even worse than I thought. I wonder what his record against BCS teams was there. At KU he was 2-18 against BCS teams.

Oh and if you mean not caring about the well-being of his players'education and overall taking the easy road on the college football ranks...than I guess Gill's overall life philosophy fits well.

tbill 10 years, 6 months ago

Nope, but nice try. "Everyone knows" the FCS division was formerly known as Div I-AA. DII has always been, and still is, DII. Same goes for DIII. That's why they're still referred to in the NCAA standards. Don't be afraid to look around the state of KS & notice that another of the state schools is playing for the DII National Championship on Saturday. FCS National Championship is not until January 2nd... So get over that.

If you're going to be snarky, it helps to know what you're talking about.

Jrb09g 10 years, 6 months ago

Hey, I have an idea! Let's all post disparaging comments about a guy, who by all accounts, is a genuinely good human being because he didn't do a good job on the field as a football coach. I hope the rest of your life is terrible Turner! - Signed, Classless Fans

kansasbb33 10 years, 6 months ago

No one is saying Turner Gill is a bad guy but he was paid millions to win football games and he obviously failed at that. That is the problem KU football fans had with him.

Jrb09g 10 years, 6 months ago

No one is saying he is a bad guy or wishing him bad? You should probably read the rest of the comments.

Kyle Rohde 10 years, 6 months ago

Yep, enough with the bitterness and hate guys. Gill didn't hold Lew Perkins at gunpoint to get the $2 million/year salary; Lew threw it at him. If someone offered to quadruple your pay even if the job was over your head, you'd probably give it a shot, right? Especially if the job had a guaranteed salary for five years. I'm guessing he'll do great at Liberty - best of luck to him.

DXJhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Very surprised someone would hire him as a head coach so soon, as he was obviously in over his head here. I figured he might end up a position coach somewhere, but maybe this will be a good fit. Time will tell.

middleoftheroader 10 years, 6 months ago

I wonder how many of the "10 to 15 players" that will transfer out of KU will enroll at Liberty? I'm guessing 0.

John Boyle 10 years, 6 months ago

I'll take that bet. Why wouldn't they? Many of the players loved coach Turner and took the blame for losing.

John Boyle 10 years, 6 months ago

I'd send my son to play for Turner Gill in a heartbeat. Of course I don't live and die by every win or loss. I'd be more interested if we are developing good moral leaders for the future. But I'm just funny that way.

Funhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm with you, JayhawkJohn, and so is Liberty. Too bad a public university like KU employs professors who make fun of morality. The result is anonymous, hateful comments.

Kent Wells 10 years, 6 months ago

And the Jayhawk (and Liberty) nation said, Amen!

troutsee 10 years, 6 months ago

It will be very interesting to follow Liberty football over the next few years. Hope he is successful.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

Congrats Gill and good luck!

That being said....I believe Gill is a real Christian. Liberty University, though....whoo boy. Lots of whackos there. Remember Falwell? That guy was a real piece of crap.

bad_dog 10 years, 6 months ago

Phill Kline, disgraced former Kansas Attorney General, is a Visiting Professor at their Law School.

djhawk75 10 years, 6 months ago

So do all of the rejects from Kansas go to Liberty Univ. now?

Joking aside, I wish nothing but the best for Coach Gill. He could become a great ambassador for that school.

Stan Unruh 10 years, 6 months ago

Former Cleveland Browns coach Sam Rutigliano used to coach at Liberty and TG will fit in just fine. Best of luck coach!

Ludwig Supraphonic 10 years, 6 months ago

If you look at the Bigsouthsports.com headline write-up, Gill looks like a great choice for Liberty. Falwell describes the school as "blessed" by the hiring and notes he "represents the values" of Liberty. The background info briefly mentions individual honors for KU athletes and focuses on Gill's accomplihsments at Buffalo and Nebraska. Clearly, he's in his element and the school is delighted to have him and it makes a big splash in a small conference pool.

Clarence Haynes 10 years, 6 months ago

Lynchburg is a great place to have country ham, fired apples, and biscuits for breakfast. Best of luck Coach!

Rock_Chalk_NYC 10 years, 6 months ago

Perfect fit... Best of luck to Coach Gill and Liberty University.

On a side note, looks like Tom Osbourne is still selling Gill like he did to LewZer Perkins and Gray-Little. The fit at KU was not good, I think this is a much, much better recommendation.

All the best, Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

AzNHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Enough with the fat jokes about Charlie Weis on the other articles and enough with the negative comments about T. Gill in this one. PLEASE! Just stop for goodness sakes.

Best wishes to T.Gill in his new coaching job!

Tony Bandle 10 years, 6 months ago

The Liberty nickname is "The Flames"., choose one

1] Christian Passion School 2] School for Pyromaniacs 3] Bar-B-Que Cooking Academy 4] All Male Alternative Life Style College 5] Out of work Atlanta Hockey Players University 6] Fire Fighters Technical Institute 7] Welders Learning Center 8] Smokey The Bear U.

Steve Reigle 10 years, 6 months ago

Congratulation and good luck to Coach Gill. The man is a class act.

master16 10 years, 6 months ago

Gill is a stand up person. Off the field, he is a great person. As a coach, he is and was relatively unproven. Because of that, he is not a good fit to be head coach at a BCS school (yet). I think he and Liberty University are a great match, as the school is obviously just as (or more) interested in finding a moral and ethical coach as they are winning football games.

Randy Bombardier 10 years, 6 months ago

Agreed. Good match. He will also do well there I think. It seems that his strength lies in going to a level below FBS and getting talent that they have not seen before. I have nearly concluded that you have to sell out (your values and what is truly important) somewhere along the line if you are going to be successful at the FBS level. Gill won't do that, but then 25 years making half a million bucks a year at a lower level ain't bad.

Waylon Cook 10 years, 6 months ago

I hope I don't have to turn on the news and see people bitching about them not having a job...............they obviously should just look.

Because Turner Gill got a job...AGAIN!

TXJAYHAWK7 10 years, 6 months ago

Alright for all those crying about the contract he signed and the buy out that's business plain and simple you would be looking at him crazy if he took us to a bcs bowl and then said im not coaching unless I make more money. If CW doesn't work out are you going to cry about the 2.5 we are giving him

deepind 10 years, 6 months ago

College Athletics = business

Perkins made a sucker out of all the donors and the Chancellor. No point in hating TG because he was inept at his job.

Daniel Kennamore 10 years, 6 months ago

Happy for him. I think he'll be a much better fit there and he deserves a decent place to land.

Hopefully his career wasn't damaged too much by Perkin's bad decision.

Kyle Crenshaw 10 years, 6 months ago

living in lynchburg and my wife and lots of friends going to liberty, and workin liberty in the online dept, this hire is kind of cool. Trying to decide what reaction i'll have if i ever see Gill around campus or around town. I think he'll do a decent job here...the school is willing to pour tons of money into the football program bc ultimately their goal is to go from FCS to FBS, to having one of the larger football programs compared to the other religious universities (BYU, ND, Baylor). He has a lot of talent on this team and an amazing defense and fan support (a student body that actually stays for an entire game) that he could have success at this level. He can prob handle Big South...just not the big boys in the Big 12. Glad he's not at KU anymore! ROCK CHALK!

Eric Williams 10 years, 6 months ago

Nice. the KU student body just got burned by Liberty. Kinda embarrassing.

blindrabbit 10 years, 6 months ago

Best of luck; just steer clear of that Kansas reject Phill Klein who is down there at Liberty in Olde Virginney. Kansas has paid a considerable sum to free both of you from your Kansas ties, $350,000 to pay off Klein's lawsuit and you whatever you got from KUAD. Klein is a snake of the first order, he is down there trying to reserect his tormented soul with the help of the Jerry Fallwell clones.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 10 years, 6 months ago

Klein fits in well there. No one questioning his zealotry and sliminess like in moderate Kansas.

gchawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Best wishes for you, Coach. I sincerily hope this works out for you.

bjejayhawk69 10 years, 6 months ago

Liberty seems like a perfect spot for Gill with his Christian values and all. I still don't think he is a good head coach even at this level. Especially if they are going to try to go up to Div. 1 level. He may be a great guy and I am sure many kids liked playing for him - those who didn't value winning as your most important goal. The difference here at KU is we are in an unstable BCS conference where if focusing on teaching moral values is your primary focus vs. playing and preparing for winning football is secondary, it doesn't fly. A coaching staff should try to do both but losing and losing in historically bad fashion is not what any BCS conference team wants if the wants to survive not only in football but in every other sport at the university. If the football team is bad and not producing wins and $$$ all university sports suffer.

I think Turner maintained his values during his time here but failed pretty miserably obviously in the coaching aspect and it looks like in the academic aspect of his team.

Personally I really think he is more cut out to be a position coach who would also be available for player guideance. Obviously Nebraska saw this many years ago since he was never a coordinator and was never even considered for their head coaching position..

Great man and I wish him well but as a head coach - I am so relieved he is not here any more.

Ryan Shelton 10 years, 6 months ago

Coach Gill, I echo most of the sentiment from above. Even though I seem to be in the minority-- that I thought you got a raw deal only being given two years, it seems to have worked out the best for both you and for KU. I will be following Liberty football with interest and wish you only the best in the future.

Uwe_Blab 10 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if there's a performance clause in Gill's new contract. Hopefully KU put one into CW's new contract as well.

Mangino_Maniac 10 years, 6 months ago

I just listened to the press conference... someone asked about a "player's holiness" on and off the field. Looks like Turner has found his heaven.

Lance Cheney 10 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations, Coach. Hopefully he has success.

Bob Forer 10 years, 6 months ago

Congratulations, Coach. Liberty appears to be a much better fit for you.

I would like to raise an issue with message board participants. Pursuant to well-established contract law, an party aggrieved by a breach of contract has a duty to mitigate damages. For example, if I am hired purusant to a five year contract at 100,00 per year, and am terminated without cause after two years, I am owed the remaining three years of the contract. But under normal circumstances, I have an obligation to mitigate damages by searching for other employment. Let's say I did, and found a job immediately at $50,000 per year. That salary would offset the amount I would be entitled to under the first contract, so instead of receiving $300,00 from my former employer, I would only get $150,000.

Anyone know whether there was a mitigation of damages clause in the contract, or at least a provision that if Coach Gill found other employment during the remaining period of the contract, that his new salary would offset the amount of money due?

Morally and ethically (and perhaps legally) I think Coach Gill has an obligation to return any portion of the 6 mil which duplicates his new salary at Liberty.

AzNHawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Actually, I think the entire 6 million is owed to him regardless if he has employment or not. The contract favored T.Gill heavily. KU is on the hook to get him that 6 million to which I read should be paid to him within 90 days of his firing.

Radio reports have stated that funds are still being raised for his buyout. Might research that a bit more and confirm its validity.

Evan Ridenour 10 years, 6 months ago

You are confused. When calculating damages for a successful breach of contract suit the damages would be mitigated as you roughly described above. This situation is not a breach of contract. KU had an obligation to pay Turner Gill the entire remaining amount on his contract if he was terminated without cause. KU terminated him without cause. KU then proceeded to fulfill its contractual obligation by rendering Turner Gill the remaining amount due. There was no breach of contract, the legal principle you brought up is not applicable.

Bob Forer 10 years, 6 months ago

No confusion. the point is that this contract gave Turner Gill more rights than what he would have had under contract common law. they should have included a clause in there that any monies he received during the remainder of the contract period for similar work performed would offset the liqudiated damages due.

Evan Ridenour 10 years, 6 months ago

Um, no. Legally that is technically incorrect...

Cal Bender 10 years, 6 months ago

I surveyed all the posts in this column today specifically to see if some one raises this issue. When Chuck Long was fired at San Diego State U. his contract provided that in the event he obtained employment elsewhere his earnings would be deducted from the balance due on his SDSU contract, and that (I understand) is what has been happening. It is my understanding such a provision is common in coaches' contracts: if fired without cause, they get the balance due on their contract less their earnings from new employment. If there is no such provision in Gill's contract it is another reason to suspect there may have been some underhanded dealings when Gill was given the lavish contract. I'm not saying there was some payola involved, but the other evidences of dishonesty in Perkin's administration of the department is enough to give rise to some suspicion. That being said, the mitigation of damages issue arises in the event a law suit is filed. I don't think that's going to happen.

cobweb 10 years, 6 months ago

He can probably work for free for a while. Thank you, Jesus, for Lew Perkins, huh, Turner?

Andy Tweedy 10 years, 6 months ago

I remember that picture well (at top of article). That was the picture that made me think Gill knew the writing was on the wall. He just looks so defeated. Despite what many on here think, I think he did prove some things at Buffalo. He won where nobody had really won before, and that should not be overlooked. I personally think his resume earned him a chance at the BCS level, just not the ridiculous contract he was given. Those things make me think he'll be just fine at the FCS level. I do remember, however, that one thing Lew wanted to do with that contract was make KU a serious player in the market when you thought about coaches salaries. Who knows...maybe Charlie Weiss wouldn't be our new coach had Lew not raised the bar.

Kent Wells 10 years, 6 months ago

Wouldn't it be funny if Turner Gill donated the $6M to Liberty College and they got themselves one hell of an athletic program!

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Gill, it sounds like a great fit. He's a good man and he is adored by his players.

kujayhawk 10 years, 6 months ago

He's great for kids that don't want to go to class, lift weights or learn about football.

dhinkansas 10 years, 6 months ago

I find it interesting though Nebraska had no interest in hiring Gill when both Callahan and Pelini were hired. Gill fans seem to think he walks on water, and yes, he seems like a great guy, but was in over his head at this level.

Kansas1241 10 years, 6 months ago

Why is everybody still supporting this moron?? He absolutely SUCKS!! Hey Liberty you should #FireTurnerGill now before everybody associated with your program hates you because his passion of "believing" and "visualizing excellence" only works with 2nd graders not big boys! We fired his worthless a$$ two years too late but thank God we'll actually have a football team instead of a bunch of soft momma's boys. Rock Chalk!

Mark Lindrud 10 years, 6 months ago

Yes, he screwed up while he was here, but he still is a good man and well respected by many. His style of coaching didn't fit here, but at a school like Liberty he may very well do great things..

Instead of continually bashing the man let's let him move on as we are doing the same.

jgkojak 10 years, 6 months ago

As someone who is not a fan of falwell/Liberty University, I am THRILLED they hired Turner Gill. No need to worry about Liberty raking in the big bowl $$$ (and that funding a rightwing radical agenda) any time soon.

John Boyle 10 years, 6 months ago

This is not a political forum. You left wing radical nut job! Just kidding.

Andrew Bary 10 years, 6 months ago

Not only is Liberty willing to ignore the sciences of biology, astrophysics, and anthropology, but they are also willing to ignore the science of winning football games. Although... best wishes to Coach Gill. Nice guy finished last in the Big 12, I hope he does better there.

Hammertoe 10 years, 6 months ago

Would You? Of Course Not. He just signed the contract. The School made the offer. Think Weis will give any money back a few years from now? Of Course Not.

JhawkalumJB 10 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like a good fit for both parties. Good luck to Gill in the future.

tahawk81 10 years, 6 months ago

Turner Gill is a loser-by definition-someone that loses more than they win. No better way to explain it. I think he is a very nice guy that worked hard and means well. But at the end of the day, he is a loser.

Maracas 10 years, 6 months ago

LOL at Liberty. They must be dumber than a box full of Missourians.

danmoore 10 years, 6 months ago

My lawyer has advised me not to comment.

Mat Davis 10 years, 6 months ago

I'm really curious to see how he does. He'll be given more than 2 years to prove himself, and actually get a chance to coach players he recruited. I expect him to land on his feet. All the best to him.

Benjamin Piehler 10 years, 6 months ago

I dont get why people are trashing him.... he wasn't a good coach but common, the school called him with an offer and he accepted. He did the best he could and we fired him. Dragging him through the mud after we've already made some positive changes is totally unnecessary and reflects poorly on our fan-base. Suddenly we're Notre Dame or Michigan?

Maracas 10 years, 6 months ago

Gill was not a good coach and he wasn't good enough to be common, either.

RogueThrill 10 years, 6 months ago

HAHAHAHAH Liberty. I have no beef with Gill.... but Liberty. Oh my.

Hammertoe 10 years, 6 months ago

Didn't Weis just sign a bigger contract than Gill? Just sayin.... Nobody put a gun to Turner Gill's head and made him a $10M contract. KU recruited him...
Turner Gill is set for life off KU. Now he can enjoy his the rest of his life doing what he wanted to do all along- Coach football and be a positive influence on young men in their very informative years. I'm sure is a happy man. Nobody can put a price on that....

mikehawk 10 years, 6 months ago

Those with negative comments and the lack of class to wish him well will be the first to turn on Charlie Weis when the reality hits that you can't win without good players. It takes a minimum of three years to determine the development of a program, and without lots of good players on both sides of the ball, the best coach/recruiter in the world will lose every time. I honestly don't think the KU Nation donor/fan base has the patience to stick with the Old Ball Coach for three years. You can tell HC CW has a fire that burns in his belly from his firing at Notre Dame, and you can be sure Turner Gill's fire in his belly burns hot right now, too. Bob Stoops won his only national championship at Oklahoma with a predominance of players recruited by John Blake who was supposedly such a bad coach. Could John Blake have matched Stoops's accomplishment? We will never know, although most here in Oklahoma would say no. But...he hasn't won one since. It isn't so much is Charlie Weis a good coach, because his record speaks for itself. The question is can he recruit good, if not great, players to KU in the numbers required to be competitive in the Big 12. It is a much tougher job than the faithful believe.

mesocosm 10 years, 6 months ago

Coaching in Jesusland - sounds like a good fit

woodscolt 10 years, 6 months ago

And to think all along I have been supporting this guy and he turns around and does something like this. The college of the right wing wackos and he has just joined the club. Well, I am no longer going to bat for this guy . Thank god KU gave him his walking papers.

Hammertoe 10 years, 6 months ago

along with a $6.2 million check. Gill will have a higher winning percentage in the next 3 years than Weis.

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

I would love to be able to root for TG because he does seem like a genuinely good guy. However, I will never be able to root for anything associated with a university that was set up by Jerry Falwell as a way to promote fundamentalist Christian "values" (i.e., bigotry towards anything that isn't exactly like them).

deepind 10 years, 6 months ago

That's hilarious. It is definitely not TG. Shame on USA today!!

garyr 10 years, 6 months ago

actorman 10 years, 6 months ago

I understand your points, ralster, and I'm the last person to like someone simply because they're a "good Christian" -- a phrase I can't stand, by the way, reeking of narrow-mindedness like it does.

But the person to blame in this mess is not TG, but Lew. He's the one who hired Gill, and he's the one who game him the $10 mill. Unless you're questioning Gill's work ethic or saying he didn't try his hardest, there's no reason not to root for him (other than the fact that he's at Liberty, of course). He did his best, and it obviously wasn't good enough. But that doesn't make him a bad guy or mean we shouldn't wish him the best.