Monday, September 20, 2010

KU lineman Hatch probable

The KU football team dropped its second game of the season under the lights on Friday night at Southern Miss.

Kansas University football coach Turner Gill said Sunday night that offensive lineman Jeremiah Hatch was probable for this week’s game against New Mexico State.

Hatch, a junior from Dallas, was injured early in the second half of Friday’s loss to Southern Miss and did not return. Gill said Friday the injury was back-related, but indicated Sunday that, after a little rest, Hatch seemed fine.

“We held him out a little bit, but he should be able to go,” Gill said. “I’d say he’s probable.”

In other injury news, Gill said Sunday night that freshman Keeston Terry, a safety from Blue Springs, Mo., would miss two to three weeks because of a leg injury. Terry appeared to be injured during the opening kickoff of the second half Friday. Though he was not in on the tackle, Terry came up hobbled and limped off the field. Like Hatch, Terry did not return.

The only other injury update from Sunday night involved junior linebacker and special-teams player Chea Peterman, who Gill said would be questionable for this week’s game.

Though he had an extra day to watch film this weekend, Gill did not need it.

Gill said Sunday night that the game film of Friday’s loss revealed many of the problems he suspected on the plane ride home.

“It was just execution in all phases of the game,” Gill said. “(Southern Miss) did a better job of executing their plays, and we didn’t.”

KU struggled in many areas Friday.

The biggest areas for concern were on special teams, where KU gave up its second blocked punt of the season, and the offensive line, which struggled to protect quarterback Jordan Webb from start to finish.

“(On the punt) a guy who was supposed to block just didn’t block him,” Gill said. (As for the offensive line) we just got beat one-on-one. We had people there, and they missed their blocks. On defense it was the same thing, we just missed some tackles.”

There was one pleasant surprise that Gill noted while watching film.

“I saw Jordan Webb maybe matured some,” Gill said of his red-shirt freshman quarterback. “He was under a lot of pressure early in the ballgame, and I saw him take off running and do some things. I also liked the way he kept his composure and his poise. I saw enough good things out of him even though, overall, he maybe didn’t play as well as you’d hoped for. I think that’s going to help us offensively.”

Comments

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 10 months ago

I though Webb did keep his composure, too! As mentioned before, the one play where he scrambled and escape a sure tackle, reminded me of Todd Reesing. The offensive line needs a better game for Webb to be successful.

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 10 months ago

"The KU football team dropped its second game of the season under the lights on Friday night. It was coach Turner Gill's first home loss." ??????????????????????????????????????????????

Jeremy LeMaster 11 years, 10 months ago

Saw the same thing. Pretty sure the atrociousness that was witnessed in Mississippi would count as a road loss.

Jeffery Barrett 11 years, 10 months ago

"On defense it was the same thing, we just missed some tackles.” - Coach Gill. Hmmmmmm.....maybe Keegan and KU62 think they know more about the defenses' "sound tackling" than the head coach.

gardenjay 11 years, 10 months ago

OK, but in a nautical, rather than construction sort of way, as in Sims 'tacked' up the field avoiding defenders like so many buoys in a regatta.

Blake Post 11 years, 10 months ago

It will be some time again before we can compete with the good teams. Unfortunate. What I really wanted to see this season was the exposure of Nebrasska as a mediocre, overrated team. Then the coach had to bumble on the the correct QB, and so now I don't know what will happen. The south teams are not dominating so I don't know whether they will beat the corn. Mzoo will have to play high level to beat them. I just want to see the hucksters die.

NebraskaJayhawk 11 years, 10 months ago

This game is 2-3 weeks away, but I'm putting it out there right now. Snyder's Wildcats upset the Huskers in Manhattan.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 10 months ago

Compete with the good teams - like the ACC champions and such?

grandpa 11 years, 10 months ago

We are going to win the next two games. We will beat New Mexico at home and we will beat Baylor in Waco. TCU killed Baylor Sat. If we control Baylor's quarterback, we have those Baptist where we want them. See you all in Waco.

werner24 11 years, 10 months ago

Anyone else think we should have a different line formation for punts?

gardenjay 11 years, 10 months ago

I think we should develop the fake punt and use it often; who would suspect it, Rojas is like the best punter in U.S.

troutsee 11 years, 10 months ago

Rojas is a long strider. Needs to be back 17 yards

dego 11 years, 10 months ago

Call me vengeful but I too was hoping that the Cornstuffers were gonna get waxed every week, by everyone, I was even praying for maybe a huge unlikely upest. CU over NU but it looks like no one might stop them. I think I might wear my KU gear and head to KSU/ NU game sit with some Cat acquiaintences and root against the shuckers.