Originally published October 5, 2010 at 10:26a.m., updated October 6, 2010 at 12:00a.m.

KU men’s basketball second in preseason Big 12 coaches poll

For first time in conference history, K-State picked to win league crown

Kansas head coach Bill Self watches the action from the bench during the second half, Thursday, Nov. 19, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Big 12 basketball coaches believe Kansas University’s string of six straight league championships will be snapped in 2010-11.

Big 12 coaches poll puts KU second this basketball season

K-State received the most first-place votes.

The Jayhawks placed second to Kansas State in the league’s preseason coaches poll, which was released on Tuesday morning.

The Wildcats received 10 first-place votes and totaled 119 points. KU landed two first-place votes and garnered 109 points. Texas (99) and Baylor (96) placed third and fourth respectively, followed by Missouri (82), Texas A&M; (69), Texas Tech (52), Oklahoma State (51), Colorado (46), Nebraska (31), Oklahoma (27) and Iowa State (11). Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own teams.

“Based on what K-State returns and the year they had last year, I voted for them to win the league as well,” KU coach Bill Self said.

KSU returns four starters off an Elite Eight team that won a school-record 29 games.

“I do like our team a lot. It is a goal of our team every year to win our league. Even though we are not picked to do that, we are going to work hard to try and achieve that. I do think the league will be as strong as it has been for the last few seasons with as much parity as there has been,” Self added.

KU was last picked to not win the league during the 2008-09 preseason, when the Blake Griffin-led Oklahoma Sooners were No. 1.

“A preseason poll is a preseason poll. It is not going to affect who is going to be there at the end of the year,” said KU senior guard Brady Morningstar.

“We’ve done our work the past six years. Obviously Kansas State is returning four starters from an Elite Eight team. They’ve done their work to be considered one

2010-11 Big 12 preseason poll

1. Kansas State (10) 119
  2. Kansas (2) 109
  3. Texas 99
  4. Baylor 96
  5. Missouri 82
  6. Texas A&M; 69
  7. Texas Tech 52
  8. Oklahoma State 51
  9. Colorado 46
  10. Nebraska 31
  11. Oklahoma 27
  12. Iowa State 11

Comments

fundamental 12 years, 2 months ago

This will only make K-State's failure to win the Big XII that much more devastating.

friar1512 12 years, 2 months ago

I totally agree. Most kitty fans won't know how to handle having the target on their back for a change.

Code_2008 12 years, 2 months ago

Interesting... well... time to crush their hopes and dreams then.

chalmers2wright 12 years, 2 months ago

Never bet against a Bill Self team to win the conference.

DevilHawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Actually, I much prefer that people bet against us...it gives the team something to prove...and they play much better / entire games when that is the situation.

mystro 12 years, 2 months ago

Actually I wish it was "Never bet against Bill in the Big dance". I am happy for the conference championships, but when it ends like last year what is the point.

KULA 12 years, 2 months ago

Amen mystro! Never bet against a Bill Self team to win the conference, and never bet on a Bill Self team to dispatch a less talented team in the tournament.

hawk316 12 years, 2 months ago

Kstate is very good. I think we're better.

sgl8888 12 years, 2 months ago

For K-Staters, this means they've already won the conference.

shelleysue 12 years, 2 months ago

For K-State fans it isn't the fact that they are picked to win the conference that will make their day. What will make their life worth living is the fact that KU was NOT picked to win.

2008KUGrad 12 years, 2 months ago

This is only with the assumption Showtime Selby is not on the roster. Am I correct? Rock Chalk! Let's make it 7 in a row!

John Randall 12 years, 2 months ago

Selby playing or not wouldn't keep Frank Martin from voting KU to win, since he's not allowed to vote for his own team.

I think HCBS is off in his prediction of the same parity as recent years – at least five teams have some kind of shot (10% or better) to win the conference and/or tourney. No one will be a walkover this time around.

Jayhawks are the same level as always, and others are moving up – especially KSt and Baylor. This is the last year of 16 league games, and I think it will be the most losses by a winner since BigXII was formed.

AverageCitizen 12 years, 2 months ago

Let's see how KSU plays with the pressure to win it all. That definitely will be a strange position for them to be in and lets our guys play with a free mind (or a chip)! RCJH

Jeff Coffman 12 years, 2 months ago

We won by 4 games last year...who is voting on this. We don't even have OSU on the road this year.

ParisHawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Interesting point. Which of our two schedules is the easier?

RockChalkJacob 12 years, 2 months ago

K State is good and now the fans are gonna think they are the best thing since sliced bread. No Clemente No Sutton = No Big12 Title.

LSHawk 12 years, 2 months ago

This is just wishful thinking on the part of those coaches that voted for KSU, after all it is a PRE-season poll.

TKELuke 12 years, 2 months ago

Silly Voters. How many Conference Titles have we won in a row?? How many times has KState beat us in basketball in the last 25 years??

basty 12 years, 2 months ago

why did you name yourself after the statute for indecent liberties w/ a child? Seems wrong. . . .

Dan Pawlowski 12 years, 2 months ago

Um, how did you know that. That seems wrong.

KU_FanSince75 12 years, 2 months ago

Here kitty, kitty, kitty-----want to play some basketball-------not!

gchawk 12 years, 2 months ago

This is great, one more piece of ammo for our players.

Chris Bruning 12 years, 2 months ago

yeah its fun to prove the pre season voters wrong throughout the season, but this is ridiculous....Wally Judge better have made some incredible maturing and progress because jacob pullen isn't doing this by himself....curtis kelly is still a string bean, and dominique sutton transferred. wow! kstate isn't a threat to us or about two others in this conference in my mind

KUbsee69 12 years, 2 months ago

The Wicked Witch of the West was favored over Dorothy early in that story, too.

LAJayhawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Wait, are we Dorothy in this analogy??

Dyrk Dugan 12 years, 2 months ago

not a surprise....but one caveat...no Dominique Sutton...and no Denis Clemente....two of their top athletes, and one of their best players.

if Selby plays the whole year, (and there's really no reason to think that he won't, but the longer this drags on.....) then our chances of taking them go up immensely. if he only plays at semester, they may get us early (although the first game is at AFH.)

it will be fun to be the underdog, and see how KSU responds to the favorite's role. they will be good no doubt, but it's always a challenge when you're supposed to win...and you haven't EVER won before...(Big 12 anyway).

1977...that's KSU's last regular season league title...sort of follows the triple crown.

LAJayhawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Our first game with KSU isn't until January 29th. Even if he wasn't cleared until semester, he would start playing probably mid-December (or mid-January at the absolute worst). Under that circumstance, we should still have him for basically all of conference play, and definitely K-State.

Although this is all wild speculation anyway. Even if he misses games, it would probably only be for the first couple.

Ryan Shelton 12 years, 2 months ago

Today's newspapers line tomorrow's waste baskets.

Scott Smetana 12 years, 2 months ago

Those silly coaches.

Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.

Scott Smetana 12 years, 2 months ago

OU is below Nebraska and Colorado. Ouch for them.

gchawk 12 years, 2 months ago

My thoughts exactly, Sampson sure did a number to this school. The NCAA really needs to adopt a punishment to follow the violating coaches.

okiedave 12 years, 1 month ago

OU is probably ranked too high. Should probably be below ISU. The OU team has lost most of their star recruits to transfers and some of their assistants are gone too. Definitely a rebuild program. But Capel is a good coach, but I look for this year to be one in which OU fights to keep out of the cellar.

Sam Constance 12 years, 2 months ago

Second many of the comments here. I think KSU is certainly talented enough to win the Big 12 this year, but the issue regarding winning a league title isn't always about talent (ahem Texas cough-cough).

Winning a conference isn't necessarily about being the most talented team, so much as it is about avoiding the head-scratcher losses. Though we like to talk about winning league titles as if it is dependent on the marquee matchups (KU v. KSU, KU v. Texas, KU v. Baylor, KU v. Missouri...anyone see a trend here?). But in reality, winning a league title is done on the backs of beating the people you should beat. KU has six consecutive conference titles because they limit the number of times they lose to someone who has no business beating them. I'm not sure if KSU is quite there yet.

In fact, that is the next big step for KSU, imho. They need to learn what it's like to win while you have everyone telling you that you are the sh*t. It's easier to get motivated when you feel slighted or like you're playing the underdog role. We'll see if Coach Martin can get his team to perform the same way when they are "favorites".

Wow, that sounds/looks weird. I think the rotation of the Earth might have paused for a second there...

knightmare34 12 years, 2 months ago

K-State will be good this year, but I still see this (as the voters should) as ours to lose. This will make their attitudes even worse (K-State players and fans), so the Octagon of Dumb (where KU is 21-1) just got more annoying, if that's possible.

packywacky88 12 years, 2 months ago

No titles since 1977 huh? They might be due.......! Bring on the Purple Pussies. This is gonna be good.

hawksquawk 12 years, 2 months ago

In the words of Chris Berman: "That's why they play the games..."

LAJayhawk 12 years, 2 months ago

I'm more curious which two coaches voted for us...

Ron Franklin 12 years, 2 months ago

KState received 10 of 12 and KU received 2 of 12 votes.

Coaches cannot for their own team, so Frank Martin had to be one of the coaches....the other coach, I'm guessing, was Mike Anderson of Missouri.

He knows what Frank Martin knows, and the South tries to forget every year...........dethroning Kansas is next to impossible.

LAJayhawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Didn't think about Frank Martin, obviously one is him.

The other pick would be interesting to find out though.

Sam Constance 12 years, 2 months ago

I could see the second one being Mike Anderson, as BlownJay suggests, given that he has to face the difficulty of TWO matchups with KU every year.

But I could also see the other vote coming from our own native son, Coach Mark Turgeon.

Reasons I doubt the others voted for Kansas....

Jeff Capel--too new to the conference to really have an appreciation for how dominant KU has been recently in the Big 12

Travis Ford--same as Capel

Rick Barnes--are we sure he's really a basketball coach? I tend to think of him as an overpaid recruiter. Can't be surprised to see him showing evidence of stupid opinions.

Scott Drew--I could totally see a guy this smarmy voting for KSU because they weren't KU just to stick it to the conference "big dog". That's sorta how he plays the recruiting game anyway.

Pat Knight--say it with me now: "ne-po-tism". Literally. As in, he fits the exact definition. Who thinks he has an ounce of basketball credibility besides daddy?

Derek Conway 12 years, 2 months ago

I think we're going to need Selby. I can't see Tyshawn stepping up to be the player that we need to lead this team.

Theutus 12 years, 2 months ago

EJ can and will if necessary... He just hasn't been given the opportunity...

I sincerely hope he see's a lot of time on the court, because he's going to be one incredible PG as long as we give him the experience he needs.

kesmithstl1 12 years, 2 months ago

The Octagon of Douche disciples will love this! Some goats are getting lucky tonight!!!

phi4life940 12 years, 2 months ago

This is HILARIOUS!!!!

When Wichita State went to the Sweet 16 they produced shirts with the AP top 25 rankings and HIGHLIGHTED and BOLDED themselves and KANSAS....literally just to show them ranked higher than KU.

This comment reminded me of that. K-state probably will do this. Whatever....it'll be just like last year when all the K-State fans kept talking smack and we beat them.... THREE TIMES!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Nick Cole 12 years, 2 months ago

And we had Henry, Collins, and Aldrich. What's your point?

I do however think this league will always be ours to lose until we do. RESPECT THE CHAMPS!!!

Dan Pawlowski 12 years, 2 months ago

Hmm, reminds me of when Kentucky celebrated being ranked #1 by putting out Kentucky #1 shirts and then losing their next game.

Jared Grillot 12 years, 2 months ago

Ok, I'm obviously out of the loop here... what, exactly, are the coaches basing this on? Maybe it's because I know what we have, but I only know what K-State HAD. What weapons do they have? Pullen I know... and great, preseason Wooden Award candidate (notice we have one of those too), but what else do they have? Judge did some damage last year... but I'm still coming up a few players short of a championship. What am I missing?

bcc 12 years, 2 months ago

I am actually more supprised that Baylor is selected 4th, this will be an interesting year in B12 basketball that is a given. I don't understand why everyone is high on KSU and not KU or Baylor but to each their own, the B12 should have 3 or 4 teams in the top 15 most the year and wouldn't be supprised if it was 3 in the top 10 at times.

Paul Brozik 12 years, 2 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. I've heard coach Drew at Baylor isn't real popular with his peers. wonder if that has something to do with it.

Chris Shaw 12 years, 2 months ago

This is off of the Bobcats website.

POINT OF EMPHASIS The point guard battle continues to be one to watch as the Bobcats head into preseason. Augustin and Shaun Livingston are near-locks, leaving Collins and Javaris Crittenton possibly fighting for one more point guard spot unless Brown opts to keep all four. Sunday’s scrimmage didn’t make the decision any easier. Collins finished the game with eight points and a game-high five assists, while Crittenton had nine points in 18 minutes.

“(Collins) gives it up when a guy is open as well as anybody you’ll see. He knows the right pass to make, but right now it’s hard for him to get by people, but that will come. He’s worked real hard,” said Brown. “Javaris makes it hard on all the guards, which is great. He gets into you, gets up on you and makes you work. He’s been a score-first point guard but he’ll get better.”

Scott Smetana 12 years, 2 months ago

Thanks KUShaw. If he gets cut, I hope the Thunder pick him up. I need an NBA team to root for.

BeakofLight 12 years, 2 months ago

/ / / thanks for the scoop, KUshaw...good to see another familiar face back posting this year!!!

personally, i think this year will exceed last...plenty of touches to go around, whereas last year there were the 3 alphas...id continue, but there is plenty of time to blab on and over-analyze over the next few months!!!

beak 'em!!!

rcjh88 12 years, 2 months ago

We can try all we want to pretend like the pressure is on kstate because they got voted in as favorites, but we all know that the pressure is still on KU to win the conference and make a deep run in the tournament. It will always be that way and that is why I love being a Jayhawk fan. ROCK CHALK!!

Ryan Shelton 12 years, 2 months ago

We've seen what happens when the coaches pick KU second.

If the coaches had to put their salary on the line before making this vote, I think it would come out a bit differently. Oh well. There are no trophies given out for pre-season rankings.

Benjamin Piehler 12 years, 2 months ago

this is awesome news for anyone who enjoys gloating over KSU fans, myself included. I dont think pullen will be nearly as good as people think without clemente backing him up. plus suttons gone.

rcjh88 12 years, 2 months ago

I couldn't agree more about Pullen. He is a very good player but he got to sit back and score last year, this year he will be running the show and he doesn't make very good decisions with the ball. ksu is very talented inside with Curtis I never foul anyone Kelly, and Judge, but their guards will struggle, and they aren't very deep.

BeakofLight 12 years, 2 months ago

/ / / even without clemente, KSt has one of the deepest back courts in the nation...not talent wise, but depth wise...and they all know their roles in the rotation...pullen, mcGruder, russell, and irving are a formidable wave...also, everyone seems to be forgetting about samuels who can defend any 23...

phi4life940 12 years, 2 months ago

How is aggravated assault an accident!?!?!?

Why do good players succumb to such bad decisions.....oh well. Good (not good, but you know) to see another basketball program get some bad press after the KU B-Ball v. Football fights last year.

tbbucboy21 12 years, 2 months ago

tyrell reed could put up similar numbers that pullen does if he were on the kitty cats. k-state will be a buble team. i cannot wait to see their guards play because besides pullen they are an absolute joke. KU wins big12 easily no problem. we lose sherron, x, and cole, but replace them with 5 star studs coached by the best coch in the nation whereas k-state replaces their players with who? mccruder and irving? lol these guys wouldnt make a walk on spot at KU

Lindsey Buscher 12 years, 2 months ago

Subtitle should read: "For 11th time in conference history, KU will win league crown"

Dan Harris 12 years, 2 months ago

What's your fixation with killer whales and wtf does it ever have to do with this site?

Tony Bandle 12 years, 2 months ago

Even with our record in the Octosh?twelosttokansasagaingon, we shouldn't disrespect an opponent's potential for upsets. They will be dangerous.......but so will we!!!!!!!

slowplay 12 years, 2 months ago

I don't know. I just don't see it. Pullen is going to be good. Kelly will be factor on the boards and they picked up a top rated juco kid but I can't remember his name. I did read he sat out a year at juco because of academics so he's probably not the brightest bulb in the chandelier.

BTW, Dunn has been suspended from Baylor after he beat the crap out of his girlfriend.

Clydecito 12 years, 2 months ago

A lot of Pullen's offense came from off ball screens and defensive slack caused by the attention and speed of Clemente, whose absence I predict will challenge the kitties early. We'll see if Jacob can create his own shot while playing honest defenses who aren't cheating to help so much on his fellow guard. I thought they'd really miss the departed Sutton too, but according to purple 'in the know' folks, Frankie thought he played soft and has verbally downplayed the loss. Gotta say, Crazy Eyes Frankie made me rethink his coaching ability and I think he gets more out of less talent than most coaches in D 1. I like the fact he is in the Big 12, seems to get along well with HCBS, and elevates the play in the North. That said, I can't wait for the season to begin as the Jayhawks will be special this year. Just a feeling.

REHawk 12 years, 2 months ago

If I were sitting in Bill Self's annual hotseat, this is precisely where I would wish my team to be ranked, pre-season. Jayhawks should enter this season not too cockshure, but indeed hungry and playing with an edge. Self's buddy Doc Sadler might have offered up that second KU #1 vote. And oklahawk58 might have hit the nail on the head. If any Big 12 coach had to offer up a month's salary, wagering on #1, Self and Co. would have walked away with at least half the votes. Lotsa IFs control pre-season predictions, but when the games begin, Bill Self's conference history speaks for itself. And he is certainly not starting from scratch with this year's scholarship players. He seems assured that Selby will eventually be cleared to play. Jayhawks return many players with sizable minutes of game experience to go along with the likes of Little, Releford, and Selby, who were not factors last season. Toss in the very limited 2009-10 game minutes of Withey, E. Johnson and T. Rob; and this team bristles with a combo of experienced and latent energy. Hudy, Manning and the entire staff have worked their magic on this team. Barring a major injury to either Marcus or Selby, I would wager a nice chunk on this team's winning at least a share of the Big 12 title. I was surprised to see Texas leading Baylor in the point total. But if what bloggers report about Dunn is correct. and if Baylor loses his talents and leadership, woe to the Bears.

Christopher Hauser 12 years, 2 months ago

This is way off topic but I have heard through some people at KSU that they now have a B.S. for being a hunting guide (this person was not joking either). Has anyone else heard about this yet?

Pitthawk34 12 years, 2 months ago

Yes it is true! I also heard that the that before you can get your degree you have to soak yourself with that artificial deer urine that hunters use and go for a nice hike in the wilderness to get beaten down by a deer. If you can been the deer down you are awarded a masters degree.

John Randall 12 years, 2 months ago

So, what is wrong with a degree program in a field like this?

Cornell lead the way over thirty years ago, and now at least half the Ivy League offers a Master's Degree in hospitality and tourism under various titles (like Hotel Management).

Hunting is a major income producer for Kansas and neighboring states, and like any business activity, guiding/hosting requires the same acumen and training in order to be successful.

This sounds like an ill-reasoned attempt to poke fun at any and all aspects of a University who deserves much better. While a KU alum of longer standing than most who post here, when I choose neighbors, it is with an eye to their character, not their alma mater.

Christopher Hauser 12 years, 2 months ago

KU62- What does being a KU alum longer than me or anyone else have to do with anything? Does it make you smarter than me or anyone else? Does it make you wiser than me or anyone else, or does it just make you grumpier than me and everyone else?

hawksince51 12 years, 2 months ago

While I claim no superior standing from being an old alum, I do generally agree with KU62's point. In today's U.S. service dominated economy, this makes good sense to me. And while I can live with an NU alum 2 doors down and an OU alum across the street, I try to avoid having MU Alums as my neighbors--I would have added regardless of their character but that seems redundant.

Sam Constance 12 years, 2 months ago

So that means universities should start offering degree programs like hair styling and cooking?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that hunting guide is a profession that lacks validity. I think the point is that not every profession requires the kind of formal education that one receives at a University.

Martin Rosenblum 12 years, 2 months ago

Wouldn't you like to see their graduation ceremony where graduates are announced with the degree that they earned? Camo caps and gowns, Ted Nugent delivers commencement speech, Ceremony relocated to Cabela's.

scraptown 12 years, 2 months ago

If the poll means that little, why do so many ku fans feel the need to rush to their online support group and begin to spew venom about the team that had the audacity to get selected above them in a "meaningless" poll, attack their university, insult their fans, and then have the nerve to call k-state fans classless and course?

Martin Rosenblum 12 years, 2 months ago

This gives the Mildcats the same kind of pride that Michael Beasley's statement gave them back in the day.

For them to win the championship, they would have to have drawn a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament and would have probably not have been able to have beaten us at that stage of the season. They would have to beat us twice during the regular season to have a reasonable chance at a regular season title. That ain't about to happen! In other words, KU=regular season title.....KU=conference tournament title.

Kansasfanforever 12 years, 2 months ago

Seems to me they forgot we beat K-State 3 times last year. Granted they may have gone farther then we did, but I still don't see them with a trophy.

Andrew Moore 12 years, 2 months ago

They lose Luis Colon, Dominque Sutton and Denis Clemente. Three Starters. They my predicted Kitty starting five: J. Pullen, R. McGruder, J. Samuels, W. Judge, C. Kelly.

From a match-up perspective I think we are definitely the better team, because only three of the five can put the ball in the basket consistently (Pullen, Samuels, Kelly) and the other two are inconsistent.

Compare this lineup to a Kansas' starting five of Selby, Taylor, Releford ( or Morningstar/Reed/Little), Morris twins. I think we are the better team by miles. I don't think its very close. Not to mention our depth coming off the bench.

I think this preseason ranking is a bit of a scam. I don't see it. I just don't see great things from this KSU squad.

Tony Bandle 12 years, 2 months ago

The article says four starters are returning. You mentioned three starter have left. that would give K-State a total of seven starters for last year. No wonder they did well...but they still couldn't beat us!!! :}

My guess is you could make the case that anyone who started a game could be classified as a starter, thus the total being more than five.

Andrew Moore 12 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, Colon started but didn't play many minutes, Henriquez-Roberts and Samuels played a lot of his minutes.

Either way, they lose a lot of their identity (grit and toughness) with Sutton and Clemente gone

leonard 12 years, 2 months ago

Looming under the hoopla radar...

I remember a wide-eyed freshman with a nose for the basketball and the ability to get to the rack. He was caught in a numbers game his sophomore year and in need of developing his outside stroke.

Entering his third year in the program with little fanfare...the red-shirt soph is poised to make a HUGE difference and without any drum rolls...his name?

Travis Releford...watch out!!

yates33333 12 years, 2 months ago

You can't rank K-State based on the elite eight finish. They lost their two best players who happened to be guards. Isn't the old saw that you don't win without great guards? They are a really good team, but the league has at least four really good teams. Also, the Big 12 appears as strong as it was four years ago. With Withey recovered and the twins playing up to their potential KU will be a hard team to beat, as will Baylor and Texas. I probably should mention Missouri despite hating too.

Fans should quit underrating TT. I suspect that despite his mouth this will be his year. Of course, Selby will help immensely.

Jared Grillot 12 years, 2 months ago

I dont' think people underrate TT ABILITY-wise, but we have unfortunately been trained to expect less of him PERFORMANCE-wise because of his streaky, inconsistent nature. And frankly, that nature seems to fall right in line with his "mouth". He imagines that he is phenomenal which leads to the attitude (evidenced by notorious tweets and such), but thinking you are great and practicing to BE great are, as we all know, two very different things. He obviously has ability to do great things on the court, but until his head is smaller than his stat line, I think we will keep getting only brief glimpses.

REHawk 12 years, 2 months ago

Releford and Little have to rate among the hungriest talented players ever to pop back into action for KU. Look what strides Brady made the year after he shucked his red shirt! All of these guys are valuable KEEPERS.

Dan Pawlowski 12 years, 2 months ago

I would never bet against Brady. Especially on "should"s and "on paper"s

steamboat 12 years, 2 months ago

The Big 12 title stills runs through Lawrence Ks. I would still pick ku to win it. If Selby plays it might even be a given. K-state fans were elated they made the elite 8. Hell we had years at KU when making it to the elite 8 was a disappointment. Rock Chalk

kansas25 12 years, 2 months ago

kansas state has jacob pullen back plus a lot of bigs and some top newcomers. ku will be very good this year, too. it's not a smack in the face to ku, it's simply saying 'ku lost three players to the nba.' let's be happy that this will be a great season in the big 12 with a lot of talent. one of the two will win the conference title, but it really doesn't matter that much. a national title means more. and pre-season polls mean absolutely nothing in college basketball.

KULA 12 years, 2 months ago

Motivational master? Really?

I guess the master took a day off last March. And March of '06. And March of "05.

Sam Constance 12 years, 1 month ago

Because clearly, if someone fails at something, ever, then they can no longer be considered good at that thing.

For example, since you failed in this post, you clearly have no skill whatsoever as a commenter.

I'd say he's pretty good at motivating, as long as you don't myopically cling to 3 games out of 200+ in his career.

KULA 12 years, 1 month ago

Haha! How did I fail at this post? I didn't get bounced out by a lesser talent--I'm still in the game! I'm still postin' baby!

Tony Bandle 12 years, 2 months ago

Regarding the voting, it is obvious that Frank cast one of the votes for KU, however, in Columbia, it is a mortal sin for anyone at any level to acknowledge Kansas in a positive way for anything if at all possible.

I would bet the farm that that other vote is NOT from Misery. In our division, since Nebraska and Colorado are leaving and don't give a crap, they're out. That leaves The Mayor, Fred Hoyberg at I-State maybe looking for a little mercy.

Another possibility is T Bone Pickens at Okie State said vote for Bill so he knows we still love him and want him back!!

Clydecito 12 years, 2 months ago

gotta believe it was alum coach Tad Boyle of C U as in c u later

Woody Cragg 12 years, 2 months ago

He wants to stay below the radar as long as possible Wiz. Really, really young team, plus without Selby, they aren't legit as #1. Great psych, what you'ld expect from BS.

KuKain 12 years, 2 months ago

Nothing new unfortunately. Thought I heard a rumor somewhere that there would be more info on this next week. Anyone else hear this?

TexasHawk44 12 years, 2 months ago

REhawk: How is Bill Self in an annual "hot seat"? He is not remotely in a "hot seat" at KU. Hot seat implies that he is on the verge of losing his job. KU could finish last in the BIG 12 and he would not lose his job.

That said, I like KU to win the Big 12. K-State is going to be very good but if Selby plays I like our chances.

REHawk 12 years, 2 months ago

TXHawk44: Hotseat reference certainly not an insinuation that Self's job at stake. Just pointing to the situation that every Div I coach must feel, game to game. Like Boeheim must have felt, losing that exhibition sleeper last season; or Roy, luring in all those McD recruits, then getting shut out of the Tournament. Our very own coaching staff has experienced some mighty warm seats in a pair of tournament losses to those B schools, then Northern Iowa last season. Too many of those and Self's pants get scorched, probably moreso in his own dispirited imagination than by the instant pundits or naysayers. I am definitely a positive supportive fan of Bill Self and staff! KU happened upon the perfect man for the job.

Dan Pawlowski 12 years, 2 months ago

I love it when a team plays with a chip on their shoulder.

100 12 years, 2 months ago

KUjhawk10 (below ludicrous comment) is a Kentucky troll... this poster mysteriously jumped aboard after we lost to UNI. Look at all his comments. He pretends to be a "fan", but every single comment has some sort of bad twist to it. In a couple posts, while suspiciously sinking us, he conveniently leaves UK looking like a fat little golden child that can't sink, which is funny enough in itself. This is just leftovers from last year's weird UK fanbase who attacked our site.

KUjhawk10 12 years, 2 months ago

don't be ridiculous!! I hate kentucky and that piece of a coach they hvae more than anything(besides mizzou). I don't jump ship its just embarrassing when you are a number#1 seed and you loose in the second round to a nobody. 100 your just one of those fans who thinks anything negative about ku is someone who hates the jayhawks and cant possibly be true. I never said I wanted bill to leave, I just thought I would relay the message and see if anyone else has heard. I have been to every home basketball game for my 2.5 yrs at ku, traveled to the orange bowl and insight bowl. Im probably a better ku fan than you are

jaybate 12 years, 1 month ago

Just so long as its not a buffalo chip.

KUjhawk10 12 years, 2 months ago

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

Guys, this isnt a joke. I spoke to someone within the media department at ku and they told me that they think coach bill self is leaving ku. I know for a fact he can't stand the new president and I hear now that lew is gone bill will step down as head coach. I have heard this from 2 very reliable sources, one works with bill all the time , the other works within the media department!! They are unsure when he is leaving, one believes immediately, the other thinks at the end of the year for the nba. I spoke with both of them today and this is their speculation, an announcement will be made by the end of this week. lets all hope im wrong!!!

Paul Brozik 12 years, 2 months ago

throwin a BS flag. that doesn't stand for Bill Self.

jman18562 12 years, 2 months ago

Dude. Chill Out. Have you not read up on Ancient history or been to the movies lately??? We all know the world is ending in 2012 anyway.......

Pitthawk34 12 years, 2 months ago

I smell a rat and that rat just may be a K-State imposter that is flurting with slander!

Allison Steen 12 years, 2 months ago

yes, a week before late night, and during the long ordeal of waiting to hear about Selby's eligibility, Bill Self will be announcing his immediate departure from KU for the NBA

jaybate 12 years, 2 months ago

"Wednesday Burnt Ends Plus a Small Homage to Doug Harvey Imbedded"

~"I do think the league will be as strong as it has been for the last few seasons with as much parity as there has been.”--Bill Self

Strong? Yes. Parity? No. KU has pretty much kicked everyone's rectums (or is that recta?) on the way to winning, or sharing conference titles almost every year (or is that every year) Self's been at KU; that's not parity; that's KU and then parity among the rest. The inference to be drawn from Bill's remark, despite how he cast his preseason vote is: KU wins, or shares, another conference title, or Eddie Sutton doesn't know a fifth when he sees one.

~Bulletin for REHawk--TexasSquawk22rimfire reputedly suffers some kind of oppositional disorder that makes him charge hot fudge sundaes with a bazooka, rather than a desert spoon, to bum indirectly from the late Kurt Vonnegut. And Mr. Rimfire makes his living with words, too! :-)

~Ranking KU behind KSU in anything but fertilizer composting is grounds for an all expenses paid trip to Club Voltage aka The Osawatomie Electroshock Oasis.

~Contrary to popular belief, Frank Martin did not vote his own team Numero Uno. Instead, he reputedly picked Travis Ford up by the tie and said, "A vote for my team is a vote for The Corporation. Now get outta here before I stare you to death."

~Rumors fly that as soon as Raul Castro resigns and Cuba goes democratic, K-State will start playing half its home schedule in Havana at The Octagon of Rum.

~Insiders at Camp Cornhusker report that Dr. Tom Osborne has joined the Anemic Club for Men and that Nebraska will suck again in basketball.

~Iowa State was voted 12th out of 12 indicating that Iowa State is almost certain to upset KU in Ames this year.

~OU getting voted 11th out of 12 makes clear that Jeff Capel's building-down of the Sooner program is now in full swing.

~The Buffs selected 9th out of 12 means they could well compete for a conference championship...in the Pac Ten.

~Missouri, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State voted 5th through 8th are in an absolute dog fight for mediocrity. Each team will leave it all on the floor this season in the race to see who finishes 7th, the most mediocre team in the conference.

~Unless Travis Ford pushes OSU up to 5th he is completely out of the running to be turned down for the UK job, when Cal leaves another scandal behind.

~Ranking Baylor 4th, behind Texas, at third, gives Baylor an absolute lock on third, because Barnes' teams never live up to expectations.

~Ranking KU 2rd to KSU is like ranking Pablo Picasso second to Thomas Kincaid.

~Ranking KSU first ushers in the dawn of a new Dark Age in which magic has once again overtaken reason.

(All fiction. No malice.)

Martin Rosenblum 12 years, 2 months ago

"..Eddie Sutton doesn't know a fifth when he sees one..."

Naughty, naughty!

KUjhawk10 12 years, 2 months ago

I graduated from ku last december, you can think what u want but im just relaying what I've heard.

Sam Constance 12 years, 1 month ago

Ok, so you're not a troll.

Just stupid. Do you actually believe what you wrote?

REHawk 12 years, 1 month ago

"Now get out of here before I stare you to death." O boy!!!