Danny Manning gets hero's welcome at Wake Forest

By now, you've all surely heard that former Kansas University assistant coach and one of the school's all-time great players landed a head coaching job at Wake Forest after two successful seasons at Tulsa.

The stories we posted got a lot of hits and comments and, as has been the case since the late 80's, everyone in Jayhawkland seemed to be pretty pumped for Manning, his family and the handful of KU alums on his coaching staff.

Now, take that excitement and happiness and multiply it by 100. That's the kind of reaction that Manning received at Wake Forest, where students, players, administrators and fans of the program welcomed him with open arms and some serious celebrations.

Below are a few videos and links to some of Wake's coverage of Manning's arrival. It's worth a look, just as Manning is worthy of that job.

Danny Manning's introductory press conference:

Manning's first day on campus:

Here are a couple of player reaction videos:

The folks at Wake even threw together this "Manning 101" infographic:

"Manning 101" (courtesy Wake Forest athletics)

"Manning 101" (courtesy Wake Forest athletics) by Matt Tait

And, finally, here's a link to the photo gallery from Manning's big day:

Comments

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 8 months ago

love the Manning 101 card.

Matt, can you tell me what's up with the different commenting format today? No replys? And newest to oldest posts?

Is it a glitch? Is it a permanent change? Will reply's be added back into the commenting platform?

Matt Tait 8 years, 8 months ago

I'll look into it. I know at one time we were looking into an "upgrade" that would help make the site function better and faster but one of the drawbacks was going to be a new look for comments. I'm not sure if they went ahead with that or are testing it or what. I'll look into it. Thanks for the note.

Jay Beakum 8 years, 8 months ago

When I saw the video was twenty-something minutes long I figured I’d just watch a little bit and be good.

I couldn’t stop watching/listening!

I felt like I was in the huddle before the Oklahoma title game in ’88, where he told the guys “Forget what coach said. We can run with these guys”.

When he talks about how they were gonna go toe-to-toe in the ACC, throwing blows. How he wanted opposing teams to fear them. Pure gold.

Danny is a very cool, laid back guy, but his passion appears in this video with faint expressions here and there. He is FULL of passion for this game, and for doing things the right way. Wake Forest is gonna be back in the picture very soon.

Eliott Reeder 8 years, 8 months ago

The reverse order commenting thing has been driving me crazy all day. Please change it back!!!

Phil Leister 8 years, 8 months ago

I don't mind the reverse order, but the comment box needs to be at the top. Why does the LJW feel the need to constantly change things? Usually Matt is right on top of answering questions on here. Matt, you there?

Jonathan Allison 8 years, 8 months ago

Matt tried to reply to my post. But replies don't appear anymore only new comments.

Matt Tait 8 years, 8 months ago

Hey everyone... Just got some info on the comments. We're in the process of doing some testing to fix a site issue and in order to do so we had to turn off the viewing of threaded comments.

Hang with us for the next couple of days while we test and we'll be sure to let you know if any permanent changes are coming your way.

If there are, I assure you that it'll be a workable system that you can all adjust to easily and quickly.

Thanks. Have a great rest of the day! - Matt

John Randall 8 years, 8 months ago

Putting comments in forward or reverse order by time is a really easy adjustment for any site – it should be an option at the top of the comments for each user to select or change preference.

Joe Baker 8 years, 8 months ago

Go Deacs! That's strange coming from DMan. I wish him all the best. He's my fav Jayhawk all time. All the players seem pretty excited. The big men should love him. He's going to teach them so much. If they buy into his philosophy, they'll be successful.

Good Luck to WF Demon Deacs...but mostly Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU

Craig Carr 8 years, 8 months ago

I was fortunate enough to at KU during the 84-88 years, Danny is a great person and the best basketball player I have seen first hand. Not saying he is the best ever, however he is in the top 3 of all-time here at KU based on play and stats alone and #1 when you factor everything into account in my opinion. Nothing but the best to Danny, as of now he has to be on the short list for who can succeed the great job Coach Self continues to do.

Chris Baker 8 years, 8 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are a few things I would fix and/or add to this infographic.

First, in 2003, KU was the National Runner-Up. Since the graphic points out in other years when KU was the runner-up or merely made it to the Final Four, it suggests that KU ended their run in 2003 in the Final Four, which isn't true.

Second, KU's 2003 NCAA Tournament performance shouldn't even be listed among Danny's achievements at all. My understanding is that he didn't return to KU until Bill Self brought him on board as part of his first KU staff in April 2003, well after the big dance that year. The 2003 Final Four was Roy's (and his staff/team) achievement, and Manning had nothing to do with it.

Third, if they are eager to bulk up his achievements, I'm surprised they didn't give him some credit for the 2004 and 2005 Conference Titles as well. He was a member of that staff as the Director of Student-Athlete Development, so at least he was involved with that team. Then they could say "Eight Conference Titles" instead of six.