Weis releases KU football spring game format

The weather outside might not be a good indicator, but, yes, we are just a few days away from KU football's annual spring game at Memorial Stadium.

-- Despite today's wintry weather, the good news is that the forecast calls for sunny and 60s on Saturday, so hang in there --

In many ways this spring has flown by, partly because of the early start, partly because of the week off for spring break and partly because it overlapped with March Madness. Regardless, I've been busy stockpiling all kinds of notes and quotes to help get us through the months of May, June and July with some fun and interesting football coverage.

So just because spring drills are about to end, don't think for a second that our coverage will.

I'll have plenty more this week about the final week of spring practice and a preview of Saturday's spring game, which will kick off at 1 p.m. and is free to the public.

For now, though, here's a quick look at the format for the game, which will feature a roster division that leans toward a passing team on one side (blue) and a rushing team on the other (white). I like the way they've split it up. Should make it interesting no matter which side has the ball.

Here's how it will all go down:

1. There will be four 15 minute quarters with a running clock, with the exception of the final two minutes of each half, where normal game clock rules will be followed. Outside of that, the clock will stop only for injuries, timeouts or at the referee's discretion.

2. A coin toss will decide who gets the ball.

3. Possessions to begin each half and after scores will start at the 30 yard line.

4. No kickoffs. (This is to avoid unnecessary injuries)

5. There will be an abbreviated halftime of 13 minutes (NFL format).

6. Punt/punt return will end when the returner fair catches the ball, picks up a rolling ball or when a defender downs the ball. Normal rules apply for touchbacks.

7. On field goals, if the ball hits the ground, the play will be blown dead.

8. Red jerseys worn by the quarterbacks will protect QBs in the pocket only. In other words, if they run, they're free to be hit. (Don't expect Jake Heaps to take off to much, if at all.)

9. Game MVPs will be announced after the game. The team will join the band for the alma mater after the game.

All in all, it's a pretty decent format for a game that has the potential to be both competitive and entertaining. I have no problem with some of the rules put in place to avoid injuries. Sure, you want to entertain the fans that show up, but not at the expense of getting someone hurt.

There will be plenty of opportunities for the crowd to enjoy what it's watching, both on offense and defense.

I'll leave you (for now) with a quick look at some of the marquee names on each squad.

BLUE OFFENSE:

Darius Willis
Michael Reynolds
Ben Goodman
Ty McKinney
Dexter McDonald
Nasir Moore

Comments

deepind 9 years, 5 months ago

"On field goals, if the ball hits the ground, the play will be blown dead." Do you mean if there is a fumble during the snap? Or if the kick is blocked? Or both? Thanks.

Plurilingual 9 years, 5 months ago

Most field goals I've ever seen involve the ball touching the ground at some point. Otherwise, your holder will have very sore hands by the end of the game.

Matt Tait 9 years, 5 months ago

Obviously, or perhaps not, this refers to the time after a kick is missed or blocked...

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 5 months ago

Based on last year I think we start each series at about the 13 yard line to practice field positions.

I'm glad to see field goals added back to KU's abilities...last year it wasn't an option.

I'm getting excited about football, but it is still 4+ months away...seems like forever.

Matt Tait 9 years, 5 months ago

It'll get here fast. And I think you're right to be excited. Should be a fun year. Don't know how many games they'll win and don't know how much better they'll be. But I think they'll be better and I think they'll be fun to watch on both sides of the ball.

Tick, tick, tick...

April13 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey Matt: Unrelated question.

Do you know what happened to Darrian Miller? Saw signs that he was headed to Butler County and to Northern Illinois but can't find him anywhere. Such a great back - too bad that it didn't work out at KU.

Matt Tait 9 years, 5 months ago

He was at Butler. Haven't checked in on him in a while. I know a few guys on the team still keep in contact with him, so I'll ask around.

Loved the kid's talent, but things don't always work out. I don't think anyone would argue with the statement that KU's been just fine without him, though.

hiphopsux 9 years, 5 months ago

So excited for the spring game, to prepare for football season we're running a full-on tailgate! Come on over Matt, cooking a whole hog at 11th and Fambrough.

Matt Tait 9 years, 5 months ago

I like your style. Enjoy the day, and if I have some time, I'll try to swing by. Thanks

Bobby Burch 9 years, 5 months ago

Matt:

So I assume that there will be some guys playing on both the white and blue team defenses (seeing as there's only 8 on each defensive team)?

Matt Tait 9 years, 5 months ago

No. My bad... those were just some of the bigger names on each side. Sorry.

Foster Coburn 9 years, 5 months ago

I've checked and double-checked the rosters for both teams and don't see Tony Pierson mentioned. Given all the talk about him being a dual-threat, I'm curious if he will don blue or white.

Ron Prichard 9 years, 5 months ago

He's the first name listed on the blue offense. Not sure if that was added later, but he was there when I read the article.

MLJayhawk 9 years, 5 months ago

Linton was left off.... he's on the blue team

texashawk10 9 years, 5 months ago

Hey Matt, is the Blue team offense essentially all the #1's on the depth chart right now or is it a mixture because that looks like a #1 offense to me.

Jonathan Briles 9 years, 5 months ago

Its mostly the first team offense, but the offensive line has been split up. He said yesterday that he put some of his "road graters" on the white team to help them run. Ngalu, Smithburg, and Martin will all be likely starters on the O-Line with Martin having to fight a tough battle with Dent.

Joe Ross 9 years, 5 months ago

Matt,

Why doesn't the LJW just film the game in its entirety and either stream it live, post the video here afterward, or both? I mean it doesn't take much to accomplish this. Unless CW has forbidden this. Some teams' spring games are even televised!

Omari Miller 9 years, 5 months ago

I'm pretty certain LJW doesn't have the broadcast rights. The game is being streamed at http://www.kuathletics.com/allaccess/ as part of their premium service.

Joe Ross 9 years, 5 months ago

Gosh, Omari. I hope that's not the reason it's not being shown. Kansas football needs to generate interest more than it needs to make money. If you do the former the latter will follow. Locking fans out of viewing the game makes NO sense whatsoever.

Jim Roth 9 years, 5 months ago

All access costs only $10 a month. Anybody who wants to watch the game can pay $10 and cancel their membership afterwards.

hawkdds 9 years, 5 months ago

Last year we got it on weather channwl 22 live in Wichita.

kufootballchick 9 years, 5 months ago

The game will be televised live on Metro Sports in the Kansas City area and on Kansas 22 throughout the rest of Kansas. The game will also be streamed live on AT&T Jayhawk All-Access. Additionally the game will be broadcast live across the state of Kansas on the Jayhawk Radio Network on stations in Lawrence, Kansas City, Wichita, Hutchinson, Hays and Liberal.