Morris brothers pace KU in victory over Oklahoma

1. Marcus Morris: Started the game getting stung by his man, Tyler Neal, by a pair of three-pointers. After that, he was vintage Marcus, owning the baseline, getting buckets at the basket even when whistles didn’t come after a great deal of contact. Blocked two shots and had two assists and a steal.

2. Markieff Morris: Had 11th double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds.

3. Tyrel Reed: He’s become so much more difficult to guard this season because he’s added hard drives to the hoop to his arsenal. Made 2 of 4 three-pointers on his way to an 11-point game.

4. Brady Morningstar: Atypical day in the turnover department. Had three of them to go with nine points, four assists and two steals.

5. Elijah Johnson: Ball movement was outstanding with him in the game during his 16 minutes and he didn’t commit a single turnover. Slammed his head hard on the floor when fouling Cade Davis as Davis made a three-point shot and Johnson never returned to the game. With him out of the lineup, Oklahoma steadily whittled away at the lead. Played better defense in the first half than the second.

6. Thomas Robinson: Committed a team-high four turnovers in 10 minutes, but also contributed four points and five rebounds. Baseline jumper was a beauty.

7. Josh Selby: Just can’t seem to get his floaters to fall. It’s a puzzling shooting slump. Contributed in other ways with five points, three rebounds and two assists. Committed just one turnover. Still working on becoming more aware of screens on defense.

8. Mario Little: Had six points, three rebounds and two assists, but struggled defensively, committing four fouls in 15 minutes.

9. Travis Releford: Played four minutes.

The Keegan Ratings: Season Standings
1. Marcus Morris (239 points)
2. Markieff Morris (221 points)
3. Tyshawn Taylor (176 points)
4. Tyrel Reed (174 points)
5. Brady Morningstar (167 points)
6. Thomas Robinson (157 points)
7. Josh Selby (104 points)
T8. Travis Releford (98 points)
T8. Mario Little (98 points)
10. Elijah Johnson (93 points)
11. Jeff Withey (56 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (5 points)

The Keegan Ratings: Big 12 standings
1. Marcus Morris (122 points)
2. Markieff Morris (105 points)
3. Brady Morningstar (101 points)
4. Tyrel Reed (92 points)
5. Tyshawn Taylor (67 points)
6. Mario Little (64 points)
7. Thomas Robinson (63 points)
8. Josh Selby (57 points)
9. Elijah Johnson (43 points)
10. Travis Releford (27 points)
11. Jeff Withey (23 points)
12. Royce Woolridge (1 point)

Comments

slowplay 11 years, 2 months ago

I don't think Self can give the starting spot back to Taylor. That's not to say he couldn't win it back, but it looks like it's EJ's to lose. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. This should force TT to be the best player he can be and I think he has the talent but not the mentality. Withey must be off Self's radar with the tourney coming up. Little is the fourth post and occasionally plays the 3 spot. I don't know why Releford isn't playing, unless he's still bothered by his injury.

KU_FanSince75 11 years, 2 months ago

Slowplay--- I was thinking the same thing. EJ is gaining more confidence!

KGphoto 11 years, 2 months ago

I don't think EJ hit his head on the court. He hit it on a Sooner elbow.

Morrii, once again with the sleeper hold. A quiet death for the next conference foe.

This is why they are under el radar.

My biggest fear is that they both go.

My farthest dream, is that they stay.

candyapplered 11 years, 2 months ago

Did anyone else think that Tyshawn looked just a little bit too happy when Elijah got hurt? The camera cut to him two or three times while Johnson was still down on the court and Tyshawn was all smiles. Everyone else is seriously worried about an injured player and TT is just sitting there laughing his ass off. WTF, dude? I know you want your starting spot back but really? Your gonna sit there and big belly laugh while your buddy's laying there writhing in pain. What a db.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

It seemed at least pretty obvious to me that T-Rob was joking with him about something. The laughter was in Robinson's direction, and T-Rob was smiling too. Let's not jump to conclusions based on one 2-second edit spot.

Jim Roth 11 years, 2 months ago

I noticed it; concluded the joviality was innocent, but bad timing. He's still very young, and unaware of the impression he can give.

Marcia Parsons 11 years, 2 months ago

Poor EJ. That was really adding insult to injury. He got the foul, but it looked on the replay like he didn't touch the guy who just flopped, and in the process he whacked EJ.

LAJayhawk 11 years, 2 months ago

Is it just me, or did the twins play a nearly identical game? Stat line is close to exact and they were both draining those 7-10 foot fade aways with absolute ease. Marcus' 3 was about the only difference. Perhaps tatoos and hair aren't the only thing they like to have exactly the same....

Well played boys.

Dirk Medema 11 years, 2 months ago

Thought Mario's game was better this time than TRob. The stat line certainly looks it, especially the 4 TO's.

Hank Cross 11 years, 2 months ago

Why does Releford even bother to dress out. 4 minutes in beatdown is a slap in the face. He really should've transferred to a program where his talents would've been appreciated instead of redshirting last season.

The funny thing is that I don't think Self played him that few minutes to send a message. I think Self gets so wee-wee'ed up at the thought of someway, somehow losing that game, that he is terrified of risking a couple of minutes to get Travis in the flow so he'll be ready for the tourney.

I never in my life thought I would end up defending BYU, but they played a better game against a tougher opponent in a tougher environment. They looked like a team to watch out for in the tourney. KU looked like they were going through the motions eating another cupcake.

slowplay 11 years, 2 months ago

I really don't think he's a KU fan. At he very least he/she is not an intelligent fan. The BYU comment indicates that. BYU is good team in a very mediocre conference. Releford has been hobbled since he injured his ankle in the Mich. game. With Little playing well and being more versatile, (can play both 3 & 4 spots), I don't think we will see a lot of Releford during the Tourney. That said, I think Releford is going to be a key player next year, especially if we lose the twins and Selby.

Hank Cross 11 years, 2 months ago

Clayco-The first letter of words at the beginning of sentences are capitalized. There are two spaces after a period. "Your" does not mean "you are," etcetera, etcetera.

hawk_of_ages 11 years, 2 months ago

"terrified of risking a couple of minutes to get Travis in the flow so he'll be ready for the tourney."

Once again, you're confusing games with practice. This is a conference game, not an exhibition designed to get our players "in the flow." We heard this same complaint again and again about Self not playing EJ -- yet when Self finally did call EJ's number, he played very well despite not having a lot of minutes under his belt to "get in the flow."

Same thing happened Cole's freshman year -- got very few minutes, until we needed him vs. UNC, and lo and behold, he was ready to help. Just because a player isn't getting minutes doesn't mean he's not learning and improving behind the scenes.

Kye Clark 11 years, 2 months ago

This team is so deep I think he just gets lost in the shuffle. Also he has not been the same player since his ankle injury. I'm disappointed that this season hasn't gone the way many envisioned for him, but he just needs to keep working on his game and be mentally prepared to help the team when his number is called.

More to the point, this is Kansas. Not everyone comes in and gets to play major minutes from day 1. Travis will be a junior with 2 years left of eligibility left to contribute at an elite D-1 program. How many guys can say that? The guys we know we're losing - Tyrel, Brady, and Little - will free up a lot of minutes at positions Travis can play, so it will be there for the taking next year.

Your final comment about BYU is puzzling; not sure what it has to do with anything. KU can't help that OU is a dud this year, and I'm sure it's easy to go through the motions once building a big lead. Every team is guilty of this. Since you're so enamored with BYU I'll point out that they played at Wyoming (RPI no. 258) on 2/2 and won 69-62. Teams play down to their competition, don't get up for every game the same way they do against a big time opponent, etc. It happens.

Hank Cross 11 years, 2 months ago

ict- My point about playing Travis now relates to the need for a slasher in the tourney this year. He has the aggressiveness, size, and strength to be a potent weapon. TT, EJ, and Selby can all slash, but each have had their well-documented issues in filling that role consistently. What's good about Travis is that his size allows him to go into the other team's bigs with more abandon. I don't know if he would be more effective as a slasher than the other three, but it would be nice to know before the tourney.

As for the injury issue, Travis played 16 minutes against MU and 14 against OSU this week, so one wonders how much the injury is still an issue.

Finally, I threw the BYU comment in because in several threads yesterday people were outrageously outraged that people could think that BYU had an argument for a higher ranking than KU. Although I think that KU is the better team, a person watching both of those games might draw a different conclusion.

As for the conferences, the B12 has had its share of dogs this year.

Hank Cross 11 years, 2 months ago

I don't like BYU and would love to see KU blow them out of the water. I wanted SDSU to win that game. But, Northern Iowa wasn't in our leauge either, and we know how that ended up.

I'm just not quick to dismiss good teams from non-BCS conferences. It takes much more talent to develop a good FB team than a BB team and if Boise State and TCU can win BCS bowls, who knows what can happen in the tourney. All Butler needed was a few breaks last year.

Kye Clark 11 years, 2 months ago

oxcal - Fair points. I agree that KU needs a slasher. I think it is the one thing missing from this offense, someone who can routinely beat his man off the dribble. When you point out that Selby and EJ have had issues with filling this role, I would agree, but I would also include Travis in that mix. I would argue that it's a matter of aggressiveness (something you point out that Travis has), and that this is an issue plaguing all three players. The problem all three players have is a tendency to camp out behind the 3 point line looking to hoist up jump shots. All three take a high % of their shots from behind the arc. Selby - 47%. Releford - 48%. EJ - 63%. And consider how much Xavier is still killed on these boards for not driving to the hoop and for being too much of a spot up shooter, then consider his % of shots taken from 3pt range is lower than all three of these players - 46.6%. So while we say that they all have the ability to drive, all of these players lack the aggressiveness and mentality to do so consistently. Of the three, I have seen Selby shift to being more aggressive over a stretch of games, which is natural as he is the one still adjusting to the speed of the college game. He reverted back to shooting more jumpers yesterday, but I think he is frustrated, both at not being a shot to play on the ball (something I've been an advocate of) and because in recent games driving the ball has not been met with the results he's expecting. Hopefully Self will continue to push him to be more aggressive as I think eventually the game will slow down for him and his drives will yield more positive results.

As for the injury to Travis, I just haven't seen the same explosiveness from him. It's true he's played some extended minutes in a couple of games, but he just doesn't look the same to me. This may be hindering his willingness to drive to the bucket (particularly in traffic). As for the BYU commentary, I would agree with what you're saying, that KU has a better team but BYU certainly can make a case for being more deserving of a higher seed. And you're right, the Big 12 has not been as good as was expected.

Kye Clark 11 years, 2 months ago

Ralster - I agree that the potential is there for Travis to shine. One concern might be that should we bring in McLemore and/or Daniels, will Travis get pushed to the background again? I still maintain that it's his lack of aggressiveness that is keeping him off the court. My hope is that he focuses on being aggressive and his defense and he will be able to beat out other players vying for PT.

Hank Cross 11 years, 2 months ago

That's an interesting stat about the percentage of Travis's shots that are 3pointers. There was one game post-injury when he came in and started jacking up 3s which he missed. That type of thing doesn't help his supporters like me.

But, I wonder if Self's coaching against the ball sticking has an effect on all the slashers. If a player is supposed to get the ball out of his hands immediately if he's not going to shoot, might that not inhibit the creation of drive to the hole b/c the player might need to throw a fake to set-up a drive.

That being said, it's up to Travis to figure out a way to make an impact.

RyanKCMO 11 years, 2 months ago

Releford should have been given a chance to guard Davis for little while instead of letting him go off for most of the second half.