Coaching search: Ohio State co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach Ed Warinner

Kansas University Football Offensive Coordinator Ed Warinner, left, presents quarterback Todd Reesing with the 2007 John Hadl Offensive MVP Award on Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse.  KU celebrated their Orange Bowl victory and 12-1 record with fans at the Football Awards Banquet.

Kansas University Football Offensive Coordinator Ed Warinner, left, presents quarterback Todd Reesing with the 2007 John Hadl Offensive MVP Award on Saturday at Allen Fieldhouse. KU celebrated their Orange Bowl victory and 12-1 record with fans at the Football Awards Banquet. by thad-allender

Ohio State lost four starting offensive linemen, including three NFL rookies, from last season’s team. It showed in a 35-21 loss to Virginia Tech in the season opener for both teams.

That seemed like a distant memory when the Buckeyes went into East Lansing and buried then-No. 8 Michigan State, 49-37, nine weeks later.

Clearly, Ohio State offensive line coach and co-offensive coordinator Ed Warinner knows how to develop linemen. He knows offense, period. As he showed in three years at Kansas with Todd Reesing at quarterback, he also knows how to coordinator a pass-happy offense.

Everywhere else he has been, the lines he has coached produced big rushing numbers. The Buckeyes rank 14th in the nation with 263.1 rushing yards per game.

Warinner coached on offenses that led the nation in rushing at Army (three times) and at Air Force. He worked twice for Mark Mangino, first as offensive line coach and then after returning from Illinois he was offensive coordinator. With Reesing standing short and playing tall and Warinner coordinating the spread offense and calling the plays, KU had its three best offenses in history in terms of yards per game and passing yards per game.

He spent two years at Notre Dame and has been at Ohio State the past three seasons. Warinner has worked under head coaches Brian Kelley and Urban Meyer, considered two of the best in the business. At Michigan State, he worked as a graduate assistant for defensive coordinator Nick Saban, who stands at the top of his profession.

Starting with 2007 at Kansas, the teams for which Warinner has worked the past eight seasons have posted a .740 winning percentage.

Can he recruit? Rivals.com thinks so and named Warinner a 2014 Rivals Top 25 recruiter. Warinner’s daughters, Madisyn and Merideth, worked at the KU football complex.

Warinner has proven all can as an assistant coach and is primed for his first head-coaching job. His chances would be better of that happening at KU if not for Bowen making such a good impression thus far. Sometimes, possession is nine-tenths of the law.

Comments

Doug Cramer 7 years, 7 months ago

With all this craziness about Bowen...I can't believe you guys are still writing articles about other candidates.

Al Martin 7 years, 7 months ago

Now, now, pouting is unbecoming. Tom did address that at the bottom of the article.

Warriner would be great, but you'd have to think that he'll be up for some more attractive positions, too. He should have a pretty high profile...

Ray Winger 7 years, 7 months ago

He wouldn't stay. He proved that as a coordinator, his actions predict he would move to bigger and better (ie notre dame, ohio state).

Rick McGowwan 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't get why "he won't stay" is an issue. If he doesn't stay because he's led a quick and efficient turnaround, and we're competitive more quickly I'm okay with that. What would you rather have, a bowl game in year 3-4 and new coach in 5, or a bowl game in 5 with the same coach?

Swing away Zenger, swing away.

Rick McGowwan 7 years, 7 months ago

Your reading comprehension is poor. I hope you are a KU fan but educated elsewhere.

I'm simply saying I don't think the "he'll leave us" is a valid argument for not hiring someone, and I'm laying out the conditions under which a coach would "leave us." Obviously, in this situation, a coach leaving us would be one that turned the program around.

Love your passion Brett, but swallow some oxygen, and then respond.

Scott Roulier 7 years, 7 months ago

Ask K-State how that worked years ago with Lon Kruger. You get the best coach you can and Warriner IMHO is a better choice. Bring Beaty back in some capacity and Bowen as DC. Keep almost all of the staff. I think it would work.

Rick McGowwan 7 years, 7 months ago

I hope we interview Warinner and a few others. I'm still on the fence with CB. It's true that we've played better under Clint, but the results, even with renewed enthusiasm aren't good.

We lost to a bad WVU team. We lost to a really bad OSU team. We lost to a really bad TT team. We were blown out by Baylor. Just destroyed. We beat a horrible ISU team (I loved watching that game). We lost to TCU, though we were competitive. Short of a miracle catch by Nigel we didn't do much when they made adjustments.

Am I missing anything from the CB interim gig?

Rick McGowwan 7 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Brett, that's super helpful. I appreciate you catching me up. So, now that we are 5-1 against the spread which bowl game are we going to?

I'm not minimizing the performance against TCU, it was fun to watch, and I acknowledge we were competitive. Because I'm not anointing CB as the second coming of Saban I'm a KSU troll? Got it.

Joe Ross 7 years, 7 months ago

Your enthusiasm for Bowen is not a reason to accuse a faithful Jayhawk fan of being a KSU troll. Youre forgetting yourself. Keep it in bounds...

Chris Bailey 7 years, 7 months ago

Let me catch you up. We hired this guy, Chuck Neinas, as a consultant to help us find the next head coach. If Bowen already had the job then why would we have done that? Do you really think Zinger shouldn't interview anyone else? Imagine what would happen to him if he didn't and 3 years from now we're still 3-9 or worse. Neinas will find the guy he thinks is best and that is most likely the guy Zinger will hire. It very well could be Bowen. But honestly not everyone is gonna like the hire no matter who it is and that doesn't make them any better or worse fans.

Randy Bombardier 7 years, 7 months ago

He's got the right background. My only question is how long he'd stay. Wonder if he'd come back for associate head coach title. I was advocating Warriner when we hired Gill. Imagine what our stable of running backs would have done in his team. What a waste.

Dirk Medema 7 years, 7 months ago

Why did he leave ND? It wasn't a promotion to go from OC @ ND to OL even at tOSU.

Ashwin Rao 7 years, 7 months ago

Love the % wheel! Thanks for sharing! We once had those things on this site! ( :) )

Michael Maris 7 years, 7 months ago

Coach Warriner would be my choice outside of Coach Bowen. And believe me, Ohio State fans are NOT wanting him to leave. I know that for a fact. But, they are realistic enough to realize that he's going to get a Head Coaching gig somewhere.

I feel that if Coach Warriner was chosen to be the full time head coach, he would retain a good portion of the current staff (as he's already worked with a good portion of them, Bowen, Reagan and Mitchell). I think that WR's Coach Eric Kiesau would / should be retained as well. Coach Kiesau appears to be every bit as good of a WR's coach as Coach Beatty.

So, if Coach Warriner is interviewed and hired, I would hope that he retains the aforementioned coaches to continue the continuity that has been built over these past few weeks in Coach Bowen's interim tenure. Would I be ok with Coach Bowen getting the full-time gig? Sure, I like the progress that I've seen these past few weeks. And, I feel that Coach Bowen would surround himself with quality assistant coaches as well.

Just don't hire another Coach that looking to pad his retirement portfolio.

We Jayhawk fans will see.

Like I've said, I'm going to sit back and watch these last 2 games and enjoy watching this year's team and Seniors play their tails off for Coach Bowen and his staff as well as for their teammates.

Chase Topliff 7 years, 7 months ago

Bowen has done a phenomenal job getting this team to play with a renewed intensity that has had them in some games against some pretty good opponents.

However, every time I revisit the thought of Bowen being the head coach, I can't help but wonder if this is the same situation the Chiefs had in 2011 when Haley left and Romeo C. led the Chiefs to a victory over the undefeated Packers. He had all the momentum and the interim tag was lifted. You see where that got the Chiefs.

Not saying this is the exact same situation because it is not, but boy, does it make me nervous.

Michael Maris 7 years, 7 months ago

And, your thoughts are valid. One could even go back as far as when Frank Ganz was given the Head Coaching job that lasted one season with the Chiefs. That happened, because the Chief's player supported Coach Ganz (based on their performance on the special teams plays).

But, College Football (in many respects is a different animal than the NFL).

And, when there's a lot of support from the Alumni for Coach Bowen, I have to think that that would play a major factor into the decision making process as well.

Chase Topliff 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree on your points as well. Alumni and current player support seems to be pretty high on Bowen.

I think one thing the AD will need to put into perspective is...has the progress that has been made "real"? Or, is this progress that has been made just enough that it has excited a fan base that is hungry for some success? I doubt this makes sense because I am not confident that it does, but I am hoping some of you get what I am trying to say.

Brandon Mahon 7 years, 7 months ago

Warinner has always been my favorite choice as next hend choice. I think his experience speaks for itself and he has worked with bowen and can show him how the big programs are ran. Warinner has proven his skills with low talent and great talent. Yes I know bowen has everyone calling for him but I do not think he is completely ready. I could see Warinner keeping him on staff especially if Warinner thinks he will move on to something bigger. I am ok with him being here 5-7 years and taken a better job because that means we are competing and recruiting well Idk why that is a bad thing.

Brandon Mahon 7 years, 7 months ago

I like bowen and I like the way the kids are playing for him. But warinner should be the first choice.

Robert Brock 7 years, 7 months ago

Herr Doktor Z should be working on his resume. He knows failure and what it reaps.

Robert Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

Have you ever noticed that the hot coordinators all come from the best teams? Is it a chicken and egg thing or do these coordinators have the advantage of coaching the best talent.

Bowen never coached at Texas or Notre Dame or Ohio State so he has never coached a lot off four and five star athletes.

Warinner has had success. Interestingly, in his bio on the Ohio State website, their are many words devoted to his time at KU.

Red Ward 7 years, 7 months ago

If Warinner is looking for a head coaching job, Florida is looking. And Urban Meyers has the connections to help him there. It is likely to pay a lot more than the Jayhawks can afford to offer.

Michael Maris 7 years, 7 months ago

Red, don't be so sure on the Urban Meyer & Florida relationship.

In fact, my source with Ohio State base has informed me that Ohio State base are not all that thrilled about Urban Meyer. In fact, they really can't stand the guy.

But, as long as he's winning. Then, they can't argue with that fact. But, let the 1st little slip take place. And, we'll see how fast the base at ''The Ohio State'' run Urban out of town.

Chris Oestreich 7 years, 7 months ago

Keep the candidates coming. I am all for Coach Bowen but Warinner should be in the mix. The only issue I have is Coach Bowen will have laid a solid foundation for the coming year while a new HC will be starting from scratch. Regardless of how good the new coach is if you let Bowen go the new HC will never have coached a game with the returning players. Edge to Bowen!

Bob Bailey 7 years, 7 months ago

Bowen substituted enthusiasm and determination for training in football. Seem to doubt that would last longer than better coaching! Keep Bowen around, OK, but make sure he learns something about Defense.

Lance Cheney 7 years, 7 months ago

Have you posted about defense before? I'm starting to wonder why "Bob Bailey" has been missing off of these coaching candidate lists.

Kyle Sybesma 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm hesitant to make this comment because I know it's not an exact comparison and this is not to say I'm against Bowen but let's remember what Romeo Crennel did when he took over as interim. The players loved him and he was successful enough to have "Interim" removed for the next year. The next year didn't go so well.

Above I posted this and thought is was worth posting again. http://www.rockchalktalk.com/2014/11/13/7200867/ku-football-coaching-candidate-countdown-part-4

I personally would like Warinner as HC, Bowen as DC and Beatty as OC (a promotion for him since he's wide receivers coach and recruiting coodinator now at aTm)

Calvin Miller 7 years, 7 months ago

Warinner wasn't the OC at ND. HE was the O-line coach. Brian Kelly has always called the plays. From the tOSU website, Warinner is the O-line coach, and run-game coordinator, which is kicking butt after an early season loss to VT. That alone indicates his ability as a coach who can develop players. Florida is not hiring a coordinator. After Muschamp, they'll be looking for a HC in a lesser program with recent success.
@Robert Brown---the best coaches always get promoted to the best programs. IF they can't produce, they get fired. For Warinner from KU to ND to tOSU---I doubt there is a candidate on Zenger's list with that resume.