Jayhawks have another SI cover boy in Selden

One of four regional covers for Sports Illustrated's 2013-14 college basketball preview issue, the Big 12 version features Kansas University freshman Wayne Selden and Oklahoma State sophomore Marcus Smart.

The 2013-14 college basketball season has barely started, and already Kansas has its second Sports Illustrated cover boy.

After freshman Andrew Wiggins graced the cover of the Oct. 14, 2013 issue, along with images of KU legends Wilt Chamberlain and Danny Manning, fellow frosh Wayne Selden is the latest Jayhawk to earn the honor.

Selden shares the cover with Oklahoma State star point guard Marcus Smart in one of four regional covers for SI's season preview edition.

Following KU's marquee victory over Duke in the Champions Classic Tuesday night, one can only expect even more attention for Bill Self's program in the weeks and months to come.

Here's a look at what some national media are saying about the Jayhawks' win and their loaded freshman class.

ESPN's Andy Katz: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/9969658/kansas-andrew-wiggins-gives-one-big-reason-why-class-freshmen-special

Yahoo's Pat Forde: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--andrew-wiggins--jabari-parker-deliver-show-to-remember-on-college-basketball-s-center-stage-083834610.html

ESPN's Jay Bilas, on Twitter:

SI's Seth Davis video interview with Self after win over Duke: http://campusinsiders.com/videos/4zdHA2aDqb3UXDpmdQyHJEP3tlcw74be

Comments

Joe Ross 8 years, 10 months ago

I heard the "A" in your middle name meant "Ask you anything". Okay, so here goes. In the Duke-Kansas game, Andrew Wiggins had to sit a lot but was only 5 points behind Parker. I'm curious about efficiency. How many points per minute did Parker and Wiggins have, and how about Ellis, Selden and Mason?

John Fitzgerald 8 years, 10 months ago

I literally thought about that the first thing after the game last night. I did a guesstimate and assumed Parker and Randle played about 34 minutes a piece. That puts them at .79 points per minute. Wiggins played about 27 minutes sitting twice, halfway through the 1st half and towards the end of the game for about 3 to 4 minutes. That means Wiggins scored .81 points per minute played. If he had played 34 minutes then he would have scored roughly 28 points if I rounded up. Again, these are guesstimates because I don't know the exact minutes played in the game per player, but I watched both games so I made the best guess that I could. Either way, it looks as if Wiggins was just as effective when he was in as the other two. Biggest difference? Wiggins won.

John Fitzgerald 8 years, 10 months ago

I couldn't agree more. And then he guarded him anyways Lol the kid has balls I'll give him that, but after he guarded him, Parker slowed down big time.

Jeremy Wilhelm 8 years, 10 months ago

Player Points Minutes Per Minute

Randle 27 35 0.77

Wiggins 22 25 0.88

Parker 27 33 0.82

If Wiggins plays 35 minutes, he scores 30. And the best stat of all is the W. Also, the second half numbers definitely favor Randle and Wiggins... Parker faded.

Matt Tait 8 years, 10 months ago

Hey fellas! Love that you're firing questions Benton's way already... Work him over!

But I just wanted to let you know that while we transition into our new set-up, he's incredibly swamped and working 12-hour days tightening up our high school coverage and moving into KU coverage.

My point is this: He's doing the work now and just getting it all done is his main focus right now, but once he settles in (which will be soon), he'll jump on here and interact with you guys just like Tom and I do, like it or not!!!

Thanks for all you do to make this site awesome!

Olli Rama 8 years, 10 months ago

It’d be more awesome if we had jaybate back.