Kansas defeats Houston, 48-30

• 3 p.m., Sept. 17, 2022
  • TDECU Stadium,

Originally published September 17, 2022 at 07:19p.m., updated September 17, 2022 at 09:32p.m.

Jalon Daniels’ masterful performance leads Kansas to emphatic 48-30 win at Houston

Kansas quarterback Jalon Daniels (6) leaps into the end zone for a touchdown past Houston defensive lineman Nelson Ceaser during the second half of an NCAA college football game, Saturday, Sept. 17, 2022, in Houston. (AP Photo/Eric Christian Smith)

HOUSTON — The jubilation and exhilaration wafting through the visitors' locker room reverberated 40 yards down a cinder block hallway and could not be contained.

Amid the shouts of "we did it!" and a wave of other congratulatory phrases, a series of loud bangs led to the unexpected opening of an unlatched door, forcing Kansas sixth-year senior left tackle Earl Bostick Jr. to pause his celebration long enough to say he was sorry and close it.

But make no mistake: There was no apologizing after Kansas defeated Houston 48-30 on Saturday at TDECU Stadium to improve to 3-0 for the first time since 2009.

"It's crazy in there right now," said junior quarterback Jalon Daniels, nodding toward the celebration. "It's live in there. We've got a lot of people excited in there."

Perhaps even more shocking than its win at West Virginia a week ago was Kansas' throttling of Houston, a team that was ranked in the top 25 until last week and had long been considered a contender to represent the Group of Five schools in a New Year's Six bowl.

The Jayhawks overcame a 14-0 deficit for the second consecutive week and withstood a 69-minute lightning delay in the second quarter to win back-to-back road games for the first time since 2007.

Kansas gained 438 yards, including 280 on the ground, and converted seven of 12 third downs. At one point, it scored touchdowns on six of seven drives, with the one that began shortly before halftime the only one that did not end with points.

Daniels was the catalyst for nearly all of it. He completed passes to 11 receivers as he went 14 for 23 for 158 yards and three touchdowns, and he ran 12 times — some intentionally, some out of necessity — for 123 yards and two touchdowns.

He became the first Kansas quarterback to run and throw for multiple touchdowns in a game since Todd Reesing did so in 2009.

"I thought Jalon was excellent today," coach Lance Leipold said. "He made some big plays on scrambling, keeping drives alive. Saw some things. Didn't hesitate. ... It's not eye-popping, 158 yards or something when you look at it, but the big picture of what he did for this team is really remarkable."

Sophomore running back Devin Neal ran 14 times for 54 yards and redshirt sophomore running back Daniel Hishaw Jr. had 11 carries for 51 yards and a touchdown, and redshirt sophomore wide receiver Lawrence "LJ" Arnold had a team-high three catches for 24 yards.

In a virtual repeat of the opening quarter against West Virginia, Kansas allowed Houston to build a 14-0 lead on its first two drives. Kansas, which had possession first, went three-and-out on its first two drives — the second of which was beset by a bad snap of a wet ball that led to a loss of 7 yards on first down.

The Jayhawks first scored on a nine-play, 75-yard drive that ended with a 12-yard touchdown run by Daniels. On Houston's next possession, an overthrown ball by Houston redshirt senior quarterback Clayton Tune ended up in the hands of Kansas senior safety Kenny Logan Jr., who returned it 26 yards and set up an 8-yard touchdown run by Hishaw.

"I just followed the quarterback's eyes," said Logan, who had his fourth career interception. "When the opportunity came, I just made a play."

With the score tied at 14, Kansas drove 79 yards over nine plays, including a 27-yard gain by Daniels on an option keeper, to get to the Houston 5-yard line. That's when the game was halted because of a lightning strike in the area, and upon resumption, junior wide receiver Luke Grimm's 5-yard touchdown reception helped put Kansas up, 21-14.

The Jayhawks then took a 28-14 advantage into halftime after Daniels found redshirt junior running back Torry Locklin on a go route out of the backfield for a 60-yard touchdown catch.

Although Houston cut into Kansas' lead when Henry ran 1 yard for a touchdown 4:30 into the third quarter, the Jayhawks kept their foot on the accelerator. Daniels ran 9 yards for a touchdown on the next drive, on which Kansas converted on fourth-and-3 with a pitch to redshirt sophomore wide receiver Quentin Skinner on a reverse, to claim a 35-21 lead.

The Jayhawks then got especially creative. With redshirt senior backup quarterback Jason Bean on the field, Neal took the snap and tossed the ball to Daniels, who then ran out to his right and found redshirt sophomore fullback Jared Casey for an 8-yard touchdown catch that helped push the lead to 42-21 with 2:39 left in the third quarter.

"During fall camp, we wanted to draw up a few plays that we thought we were going to be running in the first three weeks and this week, we were able to run it," said Daniels, who called it an "easy toss and catch."

Houston responded with a 14-yard touchdown run by Tune, and Kansas then went 70 yards over nine plays but settled for a 22-yard field goal by redshirt junior Jacob Borcila. The teams then made a pair of field goals to close out the scoring.

Tune completed 22 of 31 passes for 272 yards, a touchdown and an interception for the Cougars, who lost a home opener for the first time since 2015. They actually outgained Kansas with 446 total yards, but they were hampered by 10 penalties for 73 yards, many at crucial moments.

Kansas will return home with a three consecutive games at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium looming, and it's not unfathomable that it could receive votes in the upcoming polls after its start.

"It feels good that we can finally have the confidence and belief that we're actually good and we can actually compete with anybody," said redshirt senior defensive tackle Caleb Sampson, "so we just feel good to come out with a win."

How they scored

First quarter

10:01 — Ta'Zhawn Henry 34 pass from Clayton Tune (Bubba Baxa kick); Houston 7, Kansas 0

7:18 — Brandon Campbell 40 run (Bubba Baxa kick); Houston 14, Kansas 0

2:43 — Jalon Daniels 12 run (Jacob Borcila kick); Houston 14, Kansas 7

1:06 — Daniel Hishaw Jr. 6 run (Jacob Borcila kick); Houston 14, Kansas 14

Second quarter

9:01 — Luke Grimm 5 pass from Jalon Daniels (Jacob Borcila kick); Kansas 21, Houston 14

1:16 — Torry Locklin 60 pass from Jalon Daniels (Jacob Borcila kick); Kansas 28, Houston 14

Third quarter

10:30 — Ta'Zhawn Henry 1 run (Bubba Baxa kick); Kansas 28, Houston 21

4:24 — Jalon Daniels 9 run (Jacob Borcila kick); Kansas 35, Houston 21

2:39 — Jared Casey 8 pass from Jalon Daniels (Jacob Borcila kick); Kansas 42, Houston 21

0:00 — Clayton Tune 14 run (kick failed); Kansas 42, Houston 27

Fourth quarter

10:27 — Jacob Borcila 22 field goal; Kansas 45, Houston 27

4:56 — Bubba Baxa 20 field goal; Kansas 45, Houston 30

3:05 — Jacob Borcila 33 field goal; Kansas 48, Houston 30

Comments

Rodney Crain 1 week, 3 days ago

Solid win.

We can stop giving 14 point leads to whoever we play just to make the game interesting.

Great Pose, nice to see us 3-0!

What was the deal with the two Houston players getting chippy on their sideline? There was no PF called on the field.

Coach L's name came up a few times during the NE-OU game. Sure would hate to lose him.

Brian Wilson 1 week, 3 days ago

"I told you so" in 2021. Coach & staff came in way too late to teach any system and win last year....But at years end I predicted 4 to 5 wins this 2022 season. What was it that you predicted Rod? Are you choking on Baby Jay?

What you say...I hope not and NU just stays away from him. Hopefully Leipold might just ignore...Nebraska has gone through almost as many coaches as KU in the past 20 years and although KU is currently 1/2 the pay, the longevity and potential at KU could end up being more. A winning program, new stadium, etc., in Lawrence...KU is a sleeping giant begging for a Coach to stick around and have a hall of fame career.

Rodney Crain 1 week, 3 days ago

I know winning 3 games at all, let alone in a row, is exciting, but I think you are getting a little carried away with yourself.

The more he wins this season his stock will rise. Other programs with a better stadium already, much better past winning tradition already, and much deeper pockets will come calling, if not already. He likely will move on. NE has that. There are a couple more schools that come to mind as well.

The only thing sleeping at KU has been our chancellor.

Brian Wilson 1 week, 3 days ago

Well I have no delusions of an undefeated season.

I know we all want KU to step up and pay the coach....but in the past I have read comments saying "No way is KU going to pay a football coach more than what we pay HC Bill Self." All kinds of problems, politics, and hands tied in this situation. But KU needs to figure out a way to get it done.

I kind of disagree about going to a school where everything is already established. At KU the coach can have input in the new design, traditions, and culture and if better than mildly succssful they can ride into the sunset a legend that they built the place and with their name on something - IDK, "Leipold Field". But at NU, WHO is Calllahan, Solich, Riley, and Frost? Hardly heard of them. Had to look them up to get the names. All done in 4 years and a bunch of side notes! You want to coach at Nebraska longer than 4 years, you better win big.

Rodney Crain 1 week, 2 days ago

Brian, why would he wait for anything if someone has it already, (see most of the B10, SEC teams)? NE had 87,000 people in the stands yesterday (their avg. this season at each of their home games), for a woeful program by the way. (in 2019, pre pandemic we were 2-1 and at our next home game, WV, we had 36,000, 74%)

Coach L. has won 5 of 15 games. His extension amount was 3.5m. If, if he continues to win, especially against ranked teams, I would expect his pay will increase.

He has a proven design to build a program that shows success on the field. That is a rare commodity. People with a lot more money than KU football can pay for that right now.

It is nice that you are excited, Leipold Field excited, it has been what 13 seasons since we had this kind of success?

KU basketball, Self, really can't be compared to our football program and coach. That is like comparing apples, and well the moon.

Let's keep our feet on Earth.

Brett McCabe 1 week, 3 days ago

Heckuva win and a fantastic performance all around. The stadium will be full on Saturday. Guaranteed. Wow. Just wow.

Micky Baker 1 week, 3 days ago

One impressive stat. 14 completed passes to 11 different receivers. Spreading it around. JD 12 carries for 123 yards. 280 rushing for the team against a pretty good run defense. JD can throw it to, so if opponents try to stack the box, he can beat them with his arm.

Ryan Mullen 1 week, 3 days ago

Time to give coach a blank check. We can't pay the guy enough. Our very survival as a BCS school is in his hands, which means millions and millions of dollars. If he gets us into a top 20 team year after year we get the stadium we need and the big dogs will have to take us.

Jim Keen 1 week, 3 days ago

Amen to what Ryan said! Pay Coach and his awesome staff whatever it takes to keep them on board. We have suffered long enough with mediocraty, and this is starting to be REALLY FUN.
We are traveling from Maryland in two weeks to see the KU-TCU game. We were at the West Virginia game in Morgantown last Saturday. Yes... really fun to watch these guys!

Bville Hawk 1 week, 3 days ago

What's happening???!!! Have I slipped into an alternate universe???

Bryce Landon 1 week, 3 days ago

Apparently so. I never thought the day would come when I would say this, but...

Kansas Football is worth cheering for again.

There, I said it. And oh, does it feel good to say.

I tuned in to the radio broadcast of the game after the lightning delay, the first time since the 2017 Kansas-Baylor game that I had tuned in to listen to a KU football game. I could hear a definite difference in the way Brian Hanni and David Lawrence called the game; they had real, genuine optimism in their voices instead of the "let's-get-this-over-with" tone that I'd heard from them under previous coaching regimes. I had confidence that the Jayhawks were going to win, and they did! They sound like a fun bunch to follow - Jalon Daniels is a stud! - and you can sense that they are brimming with a confidence not seen since the days when Todd Reesing was laying waste to the competition. It's clear to me that Lance Leipold is succeeding where Turner Gill, Charlie Weis, David Beaty, and Les Miles all failed; he is building something special for Kansans to be proud of.

When I swore off KU football in 2017, I vowed not to watch or listen to any more KU football games until I saw that real, legitimate, tangible progress was being made. Now that KU is 3-0 and has won back-to-back games on the road, I can safely say at long last that real, legitimate, tangible progress is being made. It's the first time in thirteen years that I have felt excitement, joy, and happiness in following KU football, and so, I am back on board the Jayhawk football bandwagon!

And yes, I know some of you will say, "We don't want you back!" or "Go away and cheer for your Hawkeyes." Fine. I long ago decided I don't give a flying **** what you people think of me; I'm going to live my life the way I want t live it. And now I have two teams to cheer for during college football season - Kansas and Iowa. Perhaps I should start calling myself "Jay-Hawk-Eye"?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Len Shaffer 1 week, 3 days ago

To translate: "Now that KU is winning again, it's safe for me to be my usual front-runner self."

Brad Watson 1 week, 3 days ago

Daniels was sensational and the play calling was superb...Great win...Congrats to all the players...coaches...staff...everyone involved with the program on a great effort tonight!!!

Brian Jahelka 1 week, 3 days ago

I'll be on the side of, "Piss off Bryce". I've been seeing (mostly skippin over) your drivel on this site for years. Bandwagon fans are a part of what made KU football what it's been.

I came to KU as a football fan (I know, right?) in 1989. The last dozen+ years have been tough. We downsized from 4 season tix to 2 this year, cause we got sick of trying to find 2 more to come to the game with us. And of course, we are regretting that decision now. My wife doesn't fully understand, but she likes seeing me on cloud nine!

Observation: These kids seem VERY level headed. They expect to make a big stop on defense. They expect to get the first down on 3rd and 6. And they do it, and ACT like it's no big deal. It's expected. I LOVE that attitude. And I couldn't be happier for them. They must be having.a blast.

I'm not a rich man, but I've got $1000 cash I'll hand over to the "keep HCLL at KU" fund.

RCJH! I'll be there for KU vs Puke. Hope you will too. PACK THE BOOTH!!!

Dirk Medema 1 week, 3 days ago

Wasn’t it fun to hear the chant on the road? It almost felt like a basketball game in Boulder.

Garry Wright 1 week, 3 days ago

When I signed on as a Jayhawk fan 70 years ago at the age of 12, I signed on for all the programs. I've followed and cheered for the football, basketball, track and field, etc. I'm excited when any of our programs win, including the women's programs, but always have the attitude of, next game, after a loss. During those earlier years, track and field, was really exciting to follow. Basketball has had many, many high points as a great program. Football has been up and down, but not as many ups as I'd like. But I've stuck with them -- next game, next year. The 2007 team was been the high point of all of the years concluding with the 2008 bowl win. I thought Mangino was going to be our ticket for better days for the next few years. The past 13 years have been difficult, but with each new coach, I've had hope. Then each season began to unfold . . . . Hope was really hard to hang on to. I've really felt good about Leipold's hire from day one. Last season, especially the last few games, kept that candle of hope burning. I've thought that this might be a decent season with maybe even four wins as Coach worked on building us to at least respectability. I don't know how the rest of the year is going to play out, but my hope is rising higher with each game. Beat Duke and I'm going to even begin to think that a bowl game could be in our future THIS year! Rock Chalk, Jayhawk, KU!!!!!! Much better days are ahead for KU football!

Michael Maris 1 week, 3 days ago

Garry,

I've been signed on full time since the late 70's when I was a youngster amd all my surrounding HS Alumni members are all Silo-Tech supporters.

We've endured some bad times for sure. Truly hope Coach Leipold and staff does not leave Lawrence, KS.

The OC will become a prime target though.

Brad Watson 1 week, 3 days ago

THE BEST FOOTBALL COACH IN AMERICA....PERIOD!!!!!!

Jeff Coffman 1 week, 3 days ago

Exciting. I defintely was wrong about Daniels.

Leipold might offers, but it wont be from Nebraska. Nebraska wont hire a coach 5-10. They want Meyer or a coach that will bring National Championship prowess on Day 1. Nebraska fans would be disappointed with this hire.

College Gameday would always come to a Duke and Kansas matchup where both teams are undefeated...

Brad Watson 1 week, 3 days ago

Coach has 6 Natties!!!...thats double the number that "URB" has won...and he did it in 8 seasons...6 natties in 8 seasons...nothing compares...Period!!!!

Rodney Crain 1 week, 2 days ago

You forgot they are 6 "D-3" natties, that does actually not compare to URB 3 in D-1. A minor difference.

Benny Armstrong 1 week, 1 day ago

I think you're not giving Leipold and Whitewater enough credit for the 6 national titles he's won. As a former D-3 athlete, you are playing sports at that level for the love the game and the competition since there are no athletic scholarships awarded and no serious professional opportunities after you graduate.

Additionally, you have have to win 5 straight games in the playoffs to win the national title. As KU fans, we know just how hard it can be to win 6 games in a row in a tournament setting and that can be even tougher if you have expectations and are the heavy favorites.

Now are those teams going to go toe to toe with Alabama or Georgia or Clemson and beat them, no probably not. But we shouldn't cheapen their achievements any because they weren't D-1 titles. When Leipold was first hired, there were tons in the coaching community that had nothing but glowing praise for him and respect for what he has accomplished in his career. I trust their opinions and that they know the game and how hard it is to do what he's done at each stop.

Brad Watson 1 week, 3 days ago

Oh well...no Gameday...but if we keep winning...they will have to come...maybe at an even bigger game later in the year...if we keep working hard and taking care of our business!!!

Len Shaffer 1 week, 2 days ago

And there's also a cynical jerk born every minute ...

Rodney Crain 1 week, 2 days ago

Actually I prefer a realist Len.

I do understand how that might confuse you.

Edward Daub 1 week, 2 days ago

Memo to Randy Bombardier, "Welcome back Bryce"?

Are you kidding me? Landon has "rubbed our nose" in the dirt for 10 years!

Now that KU is winning, fair weather fan Landon wants to come back?

I vote "No", stick with the Iowa Hawkeyes, please exit KU Sports.

Rock Chalk!

Ryan Mullen 1 week, 1 day ago

Welcome back Landon! Please watch, we need as many fans as possible. Without support we are doomed.