Thursday, January 13, 2022

Big 12 announces make-up date for KU-TCU, setting up back-to-back games between Jayhawks and Horned Frogs

Kansas guard Dajuan Harris, center, drives to the basket as TCU guard RJ Nembhard (22), guard PJ Fuller (4) and forward Jaedon LeDee (23) defend in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in Fort Worth, Texas, Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2021. (AP Photo/Ron Jenkins)

The Big 12 Conference on Thursday announced the make-up date for the Kansas men’s basketball program’s home game with TCU.

KU will play host to the Horned Frogs at 7 p.m. on March 3. The game will be televised by Big 12 Now/ESPN+.

Originally scheduled for Jan. 1 at Allen Fieldhouse as the Big 12 opener for both programs, the game was postponed because of COVID-19 issues within the TCU program.

The new date sets up a unique arrangement in the schedule, which actually surfaced because of a COVID-related issue last season, as well.

As things stand today, KU and TCU will play back-to-back games in a three-day span later this season. As originally scheduled, KU will play at TCU on March 1 (also on ESPN+) and the teams will head to Lawrence two days later for the make-up game.

The same sort of thing took place during the 2020-21 season, with Kansas and Iowa State later meeting in back-to-back games because of COVID issues in the ISU program.

KU’s originally scheduled home game with the Cyclones, slated for mid-January of 2021 was moved to Feb. 13, 2021, two days after the Jayhawks were to head to Ames, Iowa, for their regularly scheduled road date with ISU.

KU won both games (97-64 in Lawrence and 64-50 in Ames) and Kansas coach Bill Self said then that the arrangement felt “a little bit like an NCAA Tournament (setting).”

He also noted that both teams were playing with the same challenges, negating excuses for poor play either way.

A couple of KU players a year ago said that the quirk in the schedule was challenging but that the bottom line was that both games still came down to which team executed better on game night.

“Playing the same team twice is always tough, no matter what,” Jalen Wilson said a year ago. “So we’re just going to have to be focused and locked in on both ends. If anything, we’ll just be more familiar with their plays, their players, how to scout them and just what they do.”

KU likely will take a very similar approach to its back-to-back with TCU later this season.

Those two games will give the Jayhawks three games in the first five days of March to close out the regular season. KU also plays host to Texas on March 5.

The 2022 Big 12 tournament is slated for March 9-12 at T-Mobile Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

Edward Daub 4 months, 1 week ago

Calling ESPN Minus - Television is certainly an Oxymoron.

The Big12 Conference should "can" this pathetic attempt.

Bryce Landon 4 months, 1 week ago

I couldn't disagree more. ESPN+Plus is great for fans like me who don't live in the state of Kansas anymore. Twenty years ago, if Kansas played a game on ESPN+Plus, whether a Jayhawk TV Network game or a Big 12 TV Network game, the only way I could watch it is if I lived in Kansas and could watch games on TV stations like WIBW or KMCI. Thankfully, twenty years ago, I did live in Kansas. Now, however, I live in Indiana, with ESPN+Plus, I can watch the games that would otherwise only be locally televised, because if they're not televised nationally by ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPN-U, I won't get to see them otherwise because the local stations in Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Lafayette, and South Bend aren't going to carry Big 12 Now games. And honestly, $7 a month is not that much money to chip off to live stream a KU game.

Dale Rogers 4 months, 1 week ago

Same here. We live in California. For numerous games, ESPN+ is our only choice. I'm not thrilled with the low quality announcers they use so often nor am I thrilled with the camera work but at least we get to watch the games.

If only the Chiefs would make something similar available to us. If the Chargers, Raiders, or Rams are playing at the same time as the Chiefs, guess which we don't get to watch.

Blake Brown 4 months, 1 week ago

Before ESPN+, the games were on ESPNs extended channels at least on DirectTV and initially we had to pay for them = Full Court Package; then the games were moved to channels 788 and up at no extra cost. Those games had the KU network/announcers and great before, during and after game coverage. Im in California too and if the only way to get our games is on plus, I'll have to live with it, but that option was created solely as a money maker for the conferences and has so many limitations and inconveniences it's ridiculous. I'd love to see KU do what Texas and a few others have done and have their own network- I know, it's super costly, but in ensures quality and direct source, not to mention the benefits for recruiting and fan loyalty.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 4 months ago

Without a strong Football market KU will never get anything Texas has.

Scott MacWilliams 4 months, 1 week ago

Wait... Three games in the first 5 days of March?

The last of the three games just 4 days before the Big12 tournament?

That sounds like a GREAT tuneup for March Madness, if everybody is healthy & not exhausted...

ROCK CHALK ALL DAY!!!!

Edward Daub 4 months, 1 week ago

To Landon and Rogers, I reside in West Virginia. Decades ago, I invested in DIRECTV so that I could watch every KU basketball game on ESPN Full Court.

I also decided to add NFL Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, and MLB Extra Innings so I could watch every Bills, Bucks, and Brewers Games in HD TV.

I have absolutely nothing against your preference for "streaming with ESPN+". My only point is that games on streaming should also be on television, and games on television should also be on streaming. All fans can then "have their cake and eat it too".

Rock Chalk!

Barry Weiss 4 months, 1 week ago

I live in Phoenix, I got no beef with ESPN+. Now I get to watch every KU football and basketball game. Sure, its not as good as regular ESPN, but its better than nothing. Also, now ESPN+ has a contract with the PGA Tour so most of those tournaments are now on...great!

Blake Brown 4 months, 1 week ago

My beefs with ESPN+ include, but are not limited to: 1} Can't record the games 2} Can't save them to watch later and they only stay for a day or so, if that. 3} If you join in progress, you pick it up where it is and now know the score. 4} Can't do slow mo or FF or RW with ease. 5} Get repeated ads over and over. 6} Can't do radio and TV at the same time as they are not synced.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 4 months ago

1) ESPN+ makes all games available on a replay so it's recorded for you. 2) never noticed, but I lose interest in watching a game more than 24 hours after it's played because by then I know how it ends. 3) Fair...so wait :) 4) I stream with an Apple TV and it's ridiculously easy to jump back 10 seconds 5) Agreed...surely that have a bigger selection of ads that can show 6) I gave up on that years ago as it was always painful to get (and stay) sync'ed

Bob Zielinski 4 months, 1 week ago

ESPN+ is great. Lots of games on there in addition to KU games and it's about $6 a month. Before I had to go to a sports bar that could get the games on satellite. I would spend way more than $6 to watch one game (you gotta have dinner and slam 6 or 7 beers during a two hour game). Plus, announcers need to get their start somewhere, I don't mind hearing other voices, insights and styles.

Mallory Briggans 4 months, 1 week ago

I live in Texas so 7 bucks is worth it .............take out your calculator and do the math and you will understand the economics of ESPN .....ESPN+ has 17.1 million monthly subscribers at 6.99 x 12 months ....when you come up with the answer and how profitable it is thats a pretty good payday so it aint going away .

David Friend 4 months, 1 week ago

Love the concept of ESPN + and do not mind paying the monthly. The biggest issue is the streaming quality and we get the bottom of the barrel announcers and they are calling the games from basically their basement. I realize Covid has had an effect but I see that being the wave of the future many games..

Ralph Huge 4 months, 1 week ago

I certainly can understand why those of you that live outside of the Kansas viewing area may like ESPN+, but for the masses of KU fans that live in the area, moving the large number of games to ESPN+ has resulted in a huge loss of game broadcast quality (as detailed quite well in Blake's post above). The issue is not paying for access, it is lack of quality! I have access to ESPN+ but due to the subpar quality, I've ended up missing almost every one of the ESPN+ games this season and most likely will continue to do so. This coming from someone who didn't miss a single televised KU Bball game in decades prior and would catch the few non-televised games on radio (ugh!). The quality is just subpar and it's weakening my life long KU Bball addiction, which I didn't think was possible prior.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

ESPN+ is great. I live in IL I like being able to watch all the Jayhawk games, instead of just the ones that are on the national broadcasts.

If the B12 is not going to have their own channel what other choice is there?

Thinking about the 4 new schools joining the conference, ESPN+ will work for them too.