Kansas defeats Oklahoma State, 76-62

• 8 p.m., Feb. 14, 2022
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Monday, February 14, 2022

No Sweat: 6th-ranked Jayhawks put OSU away early in 76-62 win

Kansas guard Christian Braun (2) gets up for a jam over Oklahoma State guard Keylan Boone (20) during the second half on Monday, Feb. 14, 2022 at Allen Fieldhouse.

After weeks of grind-it-out, down-to-the-wire games that took their toll, mentally and physically, the sixth-ranked Kansas men’s basketball team finally was able to relax in the final minutes of Monday’s 76-62 win over Oklahoma State at Allen Fieldhouse.

Instead of sweating out every possession down the stretch, the Jayhawks built a lead of 22 points early in the second half and then watched as an all-out party broke out the rest of the way.

Highlights came in all shapes and sizes down the stretch, with steals leading to dunks, lobs out of timeouts and big blocks bringing KU fans to their feet.

By game’s end, the Fieldhouse crowd was roaring for walk-on Chris Teahan to play and signing a few bars of the Rock Chalk chant to send the Cowboys home.

“It was definitely a sense of relief just knowing we had the game sealed," KU forward David McCormack said after the win.

Dajuan Harris Jr. and McCormack led the way for Kansas (21-4 overall, 10-2 Big 12) with solid nights from start to finish.

Harris finished two points shy of tying his career high, with 12 points and five assists — against one turnover — in 34 minutes. McCormack finished with 12 points and 12 rebounds in 28 minutes.

Kansas coach Bill Self said several individuals played well in Monday's victory and added that, like McCormack, he sees value in not having the exhaustion of a game going down to the wire.

"We’ve been decent in those situations," Self said. "But it’s nice to be able to not have to sweat every game.”

Once the Jayhawks got rolling, the Cowboys (12-13, 5-8) found no way to stop them.

Even a 9-0 OSU run midway through the second half barely registered with the home team. Instead of panicking against the Oklahoma State zone that keyed the Cowboys’ run, KU simply pushed its lead back to 22 (76-54) with some clutch free throw shooting and a deep top-of-the-key 3-pointer by Braun with five minutes to play.

The Jayhawks missed their next 16 shots to close the game and still didn't have to sweat. That's not to say Self was happy with how they closed.

"Coach was really mad because we really didn’t close the game out that good," Harris said. "We’ve got to do a better job at the end.”

Self went one step further, calling KU's close "awful."

"We had a 26-point lead with about eight minutes left and that should be a bench-clearing deal at the four-minute mark and it wasn’t," he said. "You can’t get outscored 7-0 every last minute of a game. It was still a good win and it was never in doubt and I’m happy we got out of here without having to sweat too hard. But we still need to be better.”

Freshman forward Zach Clemence played well again, delivering a solid encore to his big game last weekend in his first action in a month.

Clemence was the first big man off the bench for the Jayhawks in the first half and he immediately made an impact, grabbing three rebounds (two offensive) in his two first-half minutes.

Clemence played an even bigger role in the second half, with two more rebounds, two blocks and a bucket from the 5 position after a hard post-up and soft pass from Harris.

Even KU’s free throw situation was less stressful in this one. And that may have had something to do with the Jayhawks’ ability to cruise to the easy win. The Jayhawks hit eight of 11 at the free throw line in the first half and finished the game 19 for 27. That included a stretch of 17 makes in their first 20 attempts.

The way Self saw it, several of those misses in the final two minutes, when the game was not hanging in the balance, did not count.

"Nineteen of 23, we could live with that any night," he said of KU's free throw performance without those late misses.

Senior Ochai Agbaji (20 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three steals) led the Jayhawks at the line with a 9-of-10 showing. McCormack made all four of his attempts. And Christian Braun (16 points in 36 minutes) and Jalen Wilson (11 points and seven rebounds) combined to make six of nine.

After another sloppy and sluggish start, the Jayhawks woke up and took a 6-2 lead on the strength of two highlight-reel dunks.

The first came on KU’s first basket of the night, when Dajuan Harris Jr. fed Ochai Agbaji on a back cut along the baseline that momentarily woke up the building and the five players on the floor.

Proof of that popped up two possessions later, when Harris picked the pocket of OSU’s Bryce Williams and flushed a breakaway dunk of his own.

A Christian Braun two-handed slam on a back cut along the opposite baseline from Agbaji’s pushed the KU run to 8-0 and the Jayhawks lead 8-2. But the Cowboys responded with a run of their own to take an 11-10 lead at the 9:40 mark of the first half. Most of those OSU points were the result of OSU running, harder, faster and with more purpose in transition after KU misses.

“Just kind of a grind," Agbaji said after the win. "I think things got a little bit stagnant. They kind of picked up their intensity on defense and we were giving them easy baskets on their end. That mixture never goes well. We knew it would pick up at some point.”

The Jayhawks appeared to take control on a couple of different occasions during the first half, twice building leads of nine points. But the lead never grew and Oklahoma State kept running. Eventually, the Jayhawks broke through. Three consecutive 3-pointers from three different Jayhawks (Harris, Joe Yesufu and Agbaji) helped Kansas build a 26-17 lead. OSU trimmed that back to four, but a strong finish to the half by David McCormack put Kansas up by 10 at the break, 38-28.

McCormack scored eight of KU’s final nine points in the first half and finished the half with eight points, eight rebounds (four offensive), three assists and one block in 17:34.

“I didn’t think we played great by any stretch," Self said. "But from the eight-minute mark to the five-minute mark of the second half we were pretty good. That wasn’t a good finish at all. But I would’ve taken a 14-point win before the game all day long.”

Kansas now gets another breather before returning to action on Saturday at West Virginia. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. on ESPN.

Comments

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Solid win. I guess the story about them being tired was wrong. Took them a few minutes to get dialed in too.

Still a short bench. A win is win. We will take it.

Not sure anyone is going to buy a 1922 uni though. That was hard to watch.

Hope they get some rest, but if they played this well worn out, not too much rest!

Thought it was funny when Fran talked about the message boards questioning Self. I guess we have to be very careful what we say here. lol.

Don't worry Dirk, I will talk to a janitor and see what he thinks.

• Justice for Janitors

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

Good post Rodney. At first I thought I thought I had mistakenly gotten an intramural channel or something. Yes, pretty brutal. I too wondered about the subbing - up 26 with 13 and 10 to play, but the bench gets shorter with Remy & JCL out. Still, the 2nd & 3rd string are just as capable of giving up 0-7 runs.

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

No worries Rodney, around here, you don't have to even ask the janitor what he/she thinks.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

​But Dirk you said anyone who critiques Self would be like a janitor criticizing us doing our jobs. It still bothers me that you degraded Janitors. Thinking their views are not worthy.

Everyone has value and deserves a voice Dirk. You are so controlling on here. lol

Ah your pointless wit is lost on me buddy. I would have thought this was obvious, I do not really respect your point of view.

I certainly get the greatest laugh about what you post. You amuse me the most.

Almost forgot - Gross negligence is a lack of care that demonstrates reckless disregard for the "safety" or lives of others, which is so great it appears to be a "conscious" violation of other people's rights to safety. Dirk I did not say someone would have to win or prove the case either. KU, like they did recently when sued, tries to settle out of court. Once that happens due to a preventable event, policys change and heads will roll. Money talks.

Jonathan Allison 6 months ago

Rodney, the school may choose to discipline the employee in charge of crowd control if the feel that he acted inappropriately, but in my opinion these matters are typically system failures.

Does the chief of security have the budget and resources required to prevent a court storming?

Has he/she made policy recommendations to the university or athletic department for procedures to disincentivize or prevent court storming?

It seems to me that every university in the Big 12 should have policies in place for this. If they were serious about preventing court storming I would think that the easiest way to prevent it would be to institute a policy where individuals participating in court storming are arrested and prosecuted for criminal trespass or reckless endangerment.

I can understand why a university wouldn't want to have to implement such a policy... it's much easier to just shrug it off and say "kids will be kids" or "people will do what they do". You don't want to come down hard on your own fans for celebrating, but yes... if the school is sued for $1 million+ because someone is trampled, injured, or killed in a court storming then they likely will react with a much stricter policy.

I think that people probably will have to change the way they weigh the risk of this type of activity considering the consequences of the Travis Scott concert last year.

Also, I'm looking for an expert opinion on the current state of the science regarding the global pandemic. Can you help me find the most relevant studies so that I can make an informed decision based on science?

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Jonathan at the end of the TT vs Texas game recently, they knew that they had a tricky situation with Beard coming back there to play. TT beat them, the fans had no chance to storm the court. There was a ring of security around the court to let Beard do the handshake line and head to the lockeroom. I don't know what they paid that ring of security for 10 minutes of work. It was a lot less than $25,000. Nothing happened.

Remember when Kstate stormed the court and JT I think, was in the middle of a melee, by himself? It can be very dangerous.

Somebody should not have to die, for action.

Fining the school is not working. Heck $25,000 is what, half the money they made in parking?

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Posted this before on here (below)- Dr. Osterholm is not political and he tells you straight up what the science says, and sometimes that is we are still working on it. He is cold water, clear and easy to digest.

He is conerned right now due to how different Omicron mutated. It has Mutated again in the last 2 weeks, now it is masking itself when you get tested for Covid. It does not have a name, its knickname is stealth Omicron. EU/ASIA cases are starting to rise again. Looks like another surge might be building. He is on twitter, has a podcast too. He is busy, best way to get his newest info is to set a notification. He does not mince words.

Earlier Post ----

Michael Osterholm PhD EMD (Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy in the USA), John Hopkins (they collect all Covid data from every hospital in the USA and publish it). He is the best epidemiologist-- hunters of infectious diseases, in our country. He visits ground zero of every outbreak. He has been doing this for decades, written books, and predicted this actually. Not how foolish people would be though. Their site on Covid is excellent.

Reuters news, they collect and publish data on the countries in the EU. They also connect the detail on what they report on. They also report on world data as well. Considered the best place to go to get up to date worldwide data, projections and the latest variants. It's free.

Jonathan Allison 6 months ago

since you took the time to answer and did so politely (thank you for that), I am in fact listening to Dr. Osterholm right now. So far I am finding his voice and tone to be welcoming and his information to be interesting, overall he makes some very reasonable assertions about where he thinks this all is going. I wish that I had the charts that he talking about such as the share of BA2 cases compared to BA1 in UK and Denmark and of course view them as they relate to the overall charts of new confirmed cases, deaths, hospitalizations, etc.

I hadn't heard of him, but I've been listening to Dr. John Campbell and Dr. Keith Moran for a couple months and I like the way they present the data from a wide variety of scientific studies from around the world. I look at the confirmed case numbers, confirmed death numbers, hospital patients and icu patients every day.

I expect Osterholm to challenge my assumptions, which would be that no country which has already experienced the Omicron peak is seeing any new increase in cases... new subvariants of omicron or mutations from omicron are unlikely to cause a virus that is more transmissive, more virulent, or more immune elusive than the current omicron surge, the combination of natural immunity from prior infection and vaccine immunity will continue to decrease the risk of infection to the point that it will not be significantly more dangerous than other endemic viruses, natural immunity is likely longer lasting than vaccine immunity, future vaccine boosters will likely only be needed in at risk populations on an as needed basis, and masks are ineffective in the general population.

Rodney Crain 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Thanks for the share. I have lost too many people, 8 now, and can't allow bs without a challenge anywhere. To see my Doctor breakdown when he talked about losing patients to Covid woke me up, then I started losing people close to me, that were in pain and died with no family present. I only reply, never start Covid on here.

The weird trend right now is that cases are down but deaths are up. This is new.

Dr. O said back in 2021 that he thinks we are looking at this ending in 2023. I would recommend his book called Deadliest Enemy 2017. It is a easy read. He is not a motivational speaker, but he is locked in. :)

The key data point to me seems to be death per 100,000 people. They use this to set a base line to understand how any country is reacting to a surge. They are looking at trends over 52 weeks. Of course New Zealand compared to China is hard to equate. New Zealand is islands, small population and has strict lockdowns. China, other than strict lockdowns, has nothing in common with NZ. But death per 100k allows them to see what they are dealing with. They could see Omicron was more contagious but because it was upper resp. rather than D and BA1 lower resp. the proteins were alike, so the current vaccine was still viable.

I will look up your sources. I am always open to finding "a guy" or women who knows their stuff.

Stay informed Jonathan!!!

Bryce Landon 6 months ago

I realize that KU was trying to pay tribute to the 1922 Helms Foundation National Championship team. But Good God Almighty, those 1922 throwbacks were the ugliest things KU has ever worn - BAR NONE. Oklahoma State's 1990s-style throwback uniforms looked better than KU's. Hell, even the lavender uniforms Kansas State wore while playing West Virginia looked better!

And for the first 15 minutes of the game, I thought KU was going to set the game back 100 years with how low-scoring it was. But the last 5 minutes of the first half and the first 10-12 minutes of the second half were absolutely magnificent as KU dominated OSU and built up a 26-point lead. Sadly, KU got lackadaisical the rest of the way and allowed OSU to make the final score look more respectable by trimming the margin down to 14 before the buzzer sounded, but hey, it's nice to come away with an easy win in a conference that has been a meat grinder.

Also, I thought it was funny that Fran was aware of the outrage directed at Bill Self after getting blown out at home by Kentucky. I wonder if he read my comments on here in response to that stinker? That said, I still think it was legitimate to denounce him for not having his team ready to go against one of the most storied programs in college basketball, and then to act like playing a game against UK in late January was somehow beneath our dignity when we're trying to win the Big 12.

That said, as quick as I am to bash Self when he doesn't do his job, I will give him credit for this - I did not know he was 34-0 in Big Monday home games entering last night's game (make it 35-0 after beating the Cowboys). So credit to him for taking such good care of Allen Fieldhouse on the ESPN showcase game.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

What the heck was the color of those shorts? YMCA Blue? lol did they look at a uni that had been in a glass case that had faded the last 100 years?

I think the only loss we had was to the Kansas City Athletic Club that year. Kind of a semipro team. You played whoever was close back then.

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

It's my understanding that KU's blue was significantly darker back then and that's what the shorts were based on.

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

Fran is a member of Phog.net, not this little message board here, so don't flatter yourself. Everything he said came from Phog, not here.

Jim Stauffer 6 months ago

It wasn't Self that didn't do his job against UK, it was the players. And that is no criticism to them. It was the first time all year they played a team faster, bigger and better than they. Next time the score will be closer but UK will beat us every time we play them. Just like 2012.

Daniel Kennamore 6 months ago

Why exactly are we paying so much and gifting a life time contract to a coach that can't put together a team that can compete with the other blue bloods?

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

You might want to check Self's record against those other blue bloods before you say anything else this dumb.

Did you forget about other coaches negatively recruiting against KU due to the BS Adidas trial/IARP crap that's been going on for years now? And even with all of that, we're #6 in the country, leading the B12, #1 RPI, and people want to fire our Hall of Fame coach and replace him with some scrub.

Daniel Kennamore 6 months ago

So Self gets a pass because recruiting was negatively effected by him running a dirty program?

Yeah, that sounds like a good standard to set.

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

Or he had nothing to do with it according to sworn testimony. I suppose your opinion holds more weight than that though. Regardless of whether he was involved in any way or not, nothing KU is accused of is any different than what every other major program is doing, and it's now being allowed because everyone including the NCAA eventually decided it was stupid.

Regardless, I see you ignored the part about Self's record against the blue bloods. You know you'll be proven to be a fool if we go down that road...

RJ King 6 months ago

Because, Daniel ... (sigh ...) your statement has no truth to it whatsoever - unless you consider Villanova (KU-3 / Nova-4) to be the only "Blue Blood" program in the country. His records against the arguable blue bloods are as follows:

vs Kentucky 7-5

vs Duke 4-2

vs UNC 3-0

vs Michigan State 5-4

vs UCLA 5-1

vs Arizona 3-2

Why exactly are you criticizing so much and gifting your misinformation? Can you not put together a Google search?

Daniel Kennamore 6 months ago

This is just like valuing Big 12 titles over national titles. When I said he lagged I wasn't referring to head to head results of individual games.

Would you rather have 3 wins over UNC, or 3 national titles over the same stretch? I know which I'd pick.

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

One involves a ton of luck and things out of your control to result in a win, the other is "bring what you got and we'll see who's best". When comparing "results against those other blue bloods", the only one that makes sense is head to head matchups. Which one got a more favorable bracket or whatever has nothing to do with whether Self can "put together a team that can compete with other blue bloods". Stop moving the goalposts, take the L, and move on.

Chad Smith 6 months ago

Have to come up with intensity from the get go in these next two games and get to 12-2 in the Big 12.

@ West Virginia is always a dogfight and KU needs to show they are the better team like they did at Iowa State.

KSU at home I hope that Braun gets everybody going with energy like against Missouri and Baylor. I want them to embarrass the cats this time around.

Two winnable games coming up, can't take anyone lightly or come out lackadaisical.

RCJH

Blake Brown 6 months ago

We sat in courtside seats and had an up close and personal place to watch, hear and feel the game. One of the most significant take aways in this game was how energetic and fiercely competitive DMac was. He hustled every play on both ends of the court and as much as he's had woeful moments this season, he gave it his all. It's obvious, we need him to be at his best to go far and last night`s performance can be enough to balance us out. It was also obvious that Zach can contribute and as he was last night, be the first one in for him. A special moment on this trip for me was having lunch with David Lawrence and Brian Hanni. It was great to find they are as genuine, knowledgable and passionate as they come off on TV/ radio. It was also extra special to talk inside college hoops with them and get some in depth info about the Hawks. We are very fortunate to have such fine people in the broadcasting aspect of Kansas sports. For us, it's a highlight of every year to return to the Fieldhouse and catch a couple of games snd feel the history and the spirit of the Phog.

Brett McCabe 6 months ago

Loved the uni's! Very cool. First job for a good team is to beat bad teams. Especially at home. We barely did it against OU, largely due to Self, but rebounded spectacularly last night.

Tough to envision what this team might do in the tourney. Inconsistency, lack of energy, lack of focus or late-game failures generally mean losing to a mid-major in Round Two. Also, lack of defensive intensity. But they have proven that they can absolutely perform at a high level - at times.

Self told us to forget about last year, as if it didn't count. And then said to forget about the UK game, as if it didn't count. Not focusing on bad plays is good, dismissing poor coaching and play is bad.

Hope these young men can really gel over the next few weeks and make it a really special season. I'd hate to have to hear Self tell us all to just forget about it afterwards.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Thank you for not blaming Self.

• Janitors for Justice

Dirk Medema 6 months ago

Bryce - It’s easy to overlook just how good the program is and has been for decades.

There was an article a few years ago suggesting that the conference scheduled KU for Big Monday games because of the national draw of the program, but disproportionately scheduled them as away games because of our dominance at home. We still have a really good probability of winning on the road, but obviously not as much as at home. As much as we appreciate/expect dominant perfection, the general population wants to watch a competitive game.

Lee Short 6 months ago

Bryce, I think it is fair to criticize and praise coach Self at times. He even does this to himself, which is really a sign of maturity and helps the team as well. Very smart of him. I did think some of coach Self's comments going into the game against KY did not create the right player mindset. Certainly, DMac did not have the right focus. I even predicted the loss after hearing coach diminish the value of the game in front of his players before the game.

Even great coaches can and do make mistakes. Just watch the NFL playoffs.

That said, I have had issues with Coach Calipari for how he closed out his tenure at UMass and Memphis, but one thing I have always found brilliant about his coaching career is how often he takes ownership himself after his team has had a bad outing. His players and a lot of NBA players love that about him. As a detractor, I even love that about him. In some respect, he is quite humble, as hard as that is for me to say about him.

I love Self, but I recognize, like any coach, making a mistake against competition at such a high level can be the difference in winning or losing a particular game.

Rodney Crain 6 months ago

Lee just a warning, Dirk does not like any critiquing of Self on here, unless it is ok for your janitor to critique you doing your job.

Even when Self says himself that he made a mistake after the game, like at the end of the OU game.

I agree with you.

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

I take it you've not listened to Cal's post game interviews the last few seasons? He's been throwing his players under the bus left and right while acting like it's their job to know what to do when, not his job as the coach.

Bj Cassady 6 months ago

The UK game was strange. The players looked like they were outclassed from the get go. I dont know if that was just the players for they were not prepared. Enough of that. Good news, first game in 13 we had fewer turnovers than the opposing team, Yahoo. We out-rebounded O-State, out-shot them just out played them. Question for all: Do you think WVirginia will fire Huggins? He doesnt look like he has the passion he normally used to have on the sidelines. K-State won a hard fought game against them.

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

Word on the street is that Huggy Bear has been telling people this is his last year.

Daniel Kennamore 6 months ago

Self is one of the best coaches in the country.

Self lags behind his coaching peers (top programs) and under-performs in March compared to even second tier programs.

Those two statements are in no way contradictory and if you get in a huff when someone reminds you of point two you need to take the Jayhawk bias glasses off from time to time.

I think the reason Self's attitude around the UK game struck such a nerve is that to people that find point two obvious it exemplifies the fat and happy position Self has gotten into that makes him think that as long as he delivers Big 12 titles it's a good enough season.

As long as you have fans who are obviously perfectly happy with his yearly face-plants in March he has no reason to try any harder.

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

Do we need to make a fool of you by proving you're wrong with stats again like we did above or do you want to admit you're wrong and avoid the embarrassment? KU is barely worse in the tourney than the other top programs (within a few percentage points, basically just a few wins would balance it out). KU is certainly not worse than second tier programs unless you only count a single deep run by a team like Loyola or a 2-year run by Butler and ignore all of the years they don't even make it, or lose early.

Daniel Kennamore 6 months ago

Florida, UCONN and Villanova all have more titles than Self does in his time at KU.

Only one making a fool of themselves are people who worship the face-plants Self gives us every March.

Shannon Gustafson 6 months ago

Nobody with more than 4 brain cells would trade UCONN's results over the last 20 years for KU's (not just cherry picking titles, I'm saying trade the result from every season) which completely invalidates the argument that titles are all that matters. KU fans would lose their mind if KU went multiple years without making the tournament, being a 9 seed when they do make it (which they've been twice), etc. 7 of their last 20 seasons they had at least 14 losses. 14 of those 20 years they missed the tourney, or lost by the round of 32. That's what you want to say is better than what Self is doing at KU? Really?

Daniel Kennamore 5 months, 4 weeks ago

And yet, such an inferior program has more titles...exactly like I said.

Your reading comprehension needs work.

Shannon Gustafson 5 months, 4 weeks ago

Which proves that the number of titles is a dumb way to judge greatness since inferior teams can get hot at the right time and steal them. Your critical thinking needs work.

Lee Short 5 months, 4 weeks ago

I think the jest of the comment trail has little to do with OSU.

I hate to triangulate, but I think there are elements of truth in virtually all the points of view expressed above.