Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Kansas finishes 2021-22 college basketball season as national champs, all-time wins leader

Kansas head coach Bill Self smiles as Kansas guard Christian Braun (2) jokes on the stand as the Jayhawks celebrate their 72-69 win over North Carolina in the NCAA National Championship game.

Kansas’ 72-69 victory over North Carolina in Monday’s national title game delivered the Jayhawks their sixth national championship and moved the program to 2,357-877 all-time.

For the first time in decades, the Jayhawks ended a college basketball season with the most wins of any program in NCAA history.

KU reached the top of the list by winning 34 games this season, surpassing 2021 leader Kentucky by eight games during the 2021-22 season alone.

The Wildcats, who fell to No. 15 seed Saint Peter’s in the first round of this year’s NCAA Tournament, finished the season at 26-8.

It marked the third consecutive season that Kansas made up ground on Kentucky, which has now watched its 19-game lead over KU entering the 2019-20 season disappear completely.

Overall, the Jayhawks have made up 53 games on the Wildcats in the 19 seasons since KU coach Bill Self took over the program before the 2003-04 season.

This year’s powerhouse Final Four featured three of the four winningest programs of all-time, meaning everyone else at the top of the list made up ground on UK this postseason.

Kansas finishes the season in first place on the all-time wins list with 2,357 victories. Kentucky still ranks second with 2,353. North Carolina sits in third place with 2,323 wins. And Duke, which fell to UNC in this year’s Final Four, rounds out the top four with 2,248 all-time wins.

Early odds for 2023

According to oddsmakers at BetOnline.ag, the Jayhawks enter the offseason with the third-best odds to win the national title next season.

KU, which figures to have a drastically different looking team next season, is listed as a 14/1 favorite, joined there by North Carolina and Houston.

Arkansas, at 10/1, is the early favorite according to the site. Duke, Gonzaga and Kentucky are all listed at 11/1, just behind the Razorbacks and ahead of KU's group.

A little farther down the list, three Big 12 Conference teams who battled the Jayhawks tooth and nail throughout the 2021-22 season are listed in the middle of the pack. Texas leads that group at 20/1, Baylor is next at 22/1 and Texas Tech follows them at 33/1. No other Big 12 program has odds better than 100/1.

Jayhawks headed to Maui

It’s still two seasons away, but the Jayhawks now officially can start making plans for Maui again.

The Maui Invitational this week announced that Kansas would be in the 2023 field — Nov. 20-22, 2023 — at the beginning of the 2023-24 season.

The rules dictate that teams can only participate in the same exempt tournament every four years, and Kansas has been locked into that rotation in Maui for a couple of decades now.

Kansas last appeared in Maui in 2019. Before that it was 2015. Before that 2011. The Jayhawks, under Self, won the title in both 2015 and 2019, after finishing as runners-up in 2011.

KU also won the title in 1996, under Roy Williams, and made appearances in 1987, 2001 and 2005.

Kansas is part of a loaded 2023 field that includes Gonzaga, Purdue, UCLA, Tennessee, Marquette, Syracuse and host school Chaminade.

Next season, Kansas is slated to play in the Battle4Atlantis in the Bahamas Nov. 23-25. The Jayhawks will be joined there by Butler, BYU, Dayton, North Carolina State, USC, Tennessee and Wisconsin.

Comments

Tony Bandle 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Regular season Big 12 Champion. 2022 Big 12 Tourney Champion. Midwest Regional Champion. 2021-22 NCAA National Champion. Biggest 2nd half comeback in NCAA Title history. All-Time NCAA wins leader. 1st Team All-American. Number Three 2022-23 ranked recruiting class.

Yep...just another season at good old KU!!!

4 months, 2 weeks ago

i dogged on dave all year. what a tourney he had! happy to eat crow on that. but who's the guy that said HCBS should be canned? bryce? 🤡🤡🤡🤡

4 months, 2 weeks ago

& to whoever thinks braun is comin back, no way. talked w his mom on bourbon st after the game & "agents want him gone". plus, grady 🍆 is slotted to take his spot next yr. braun, what a 🐶. love him. what an amazing year. well done, boys!! ⚜️🏆

Rodney Crain 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Agree Tony, what a wonderful season it turned out to be. You left out the word Consensus before All-American I think.

Hey Pizza Pizza, Braun is slated to go early 2nd round in the draft. In the mock draft he is slated to go #33 to the Orlando Magic. No guaranteed contract, although he might be able to gain some guarantee for injury, salary. Instead of being aggressive a smart agent/mom would have him hedge his options and follow OA's path last year, able to hear what the teams are saying before he burns any bridges. It would actually help him and maybe increase his overall position after he scrimmages with the other talent.

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 1 week ago

In the era of G League and two-way contracts I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him leave if he is confident he will be drafted in the second round.

The current landscape is much better for the players than it used to be. They get to wait almost right up till the end to determine whether to stay in the draft or return to college. They can get paid in college for NIL. They can compete in the GLeague and/or on a two way contract with an NBA team.

The choice used to be tough for different reasons. If you weren't expected to be a first rounder the road was much rockier for you to find a team and stick with it. But returning to college was a risk because if you got injured your pro career could be over before it ever had a chance. You couldn't get paid, and you had to decide to stay or go so early that you were basically making a decision based on the mock drafts and conversations with your head coach without much real insight from NBA scouts who could really evaluate you against the field.

Braun is in a win/win position, but if it were me I would come back to KU make as much NIL money as I could, be the BMOC all year, graduate and give a Sr. night speech collect some more hardware and try to defend this years title.

Micky Baker 4 months, 1 week ago

I think we should go back and get the totals for the top 10 winningest teams since the 1987-1988 season and it would show that KU is the winningest program in both total wins and winning percentage during that time, or just the past 30 years to make it an even number and not to insert a bias to give one more National Title to the Jayhawks. It is extremely difficult to win a title. On Occasion there is one team that simply is on another level like 2012 Kentucky. We should focus on seeing if the program can garner a couple of more over the next 8 to 10 seasons, or maybe 3 more which would solidify Kansas as the best program of the 21st century up to that point, and it would be extremely difficult to maintain that for a long period of time unless rules were broken without consequences.

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 1 week ago

Micky,

asking for 3, or even 2, more championships over the next 8 to 10 years? you know that's pretty crazy right. I hope that by this time next year you are not on the Fire Bill Self bandwagon.

Let's not forget that Bill Self has now won twice as many NCAA championships as any other Kansas coach since Phog Allen.

I hope that he gets one more just so that he has as many as Roy Williams won at Carolina... there are only 3 coaches in history with more than 3 NCAA national championships (coach K, John Wooden, Adolph Rupp)

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

Micky I support your idea.

I think all we can hope for though is "winningest" mens basketball program. Michigan, who someone on here brought up, call themselves the winningest football program. Same as us, they have played more games, and more seasons to acheive the most wins. I like winningest, which you brought up as well. It works for me since neither seasons, nor games matter. Heck Yale of all teams is 7th on the football list. They have played the 2nd most games to reach 7th.

I noticed a few times they spoke about this topic on TBS they said the winningest mens basketball program. Not most wins record.

I can live with that.

Jonathan I think Self has one more in him. Next years team is going to be a handful. If we can get a big in the portal and keep JW, DH we have a shot.

Micky Baker 4 months, 1 week ago

Jonathan, I have never been onboard with the fire Bill Self thing. I also do not get where I asked for it. I specifically said if we can garner 2, or even 3 over the next 8 to 10 years. I should have added that the reason I say the next 8 to 10 years is to get those under Bill Self as head coach to make him maybe the greatest coach of all time before he retires. I do not know when it will be.

Rodney, It is difficult to know what will happen but I simply said what I said because I am not sure Bill Self will want to coach into his 70s. My hope is that he can get a couple more to solidify himself as the greatest coach at Kansas and maybe even the greatest or one of the greatest ever in college basketball. It is not my expectation, but it is what I am rooting for because I think he is capable of it and I think he deserves it. He isn't that far away. He's taken the program to three championship games in 20 years, so a couple of more National Championship game appearances is not out of the question. And we know how he can coach players up, and that was evidenced this season despite all of the difficulties that he faced in terms of not necessarily having the most talented players down the roster, even though we may have had the best player in the country.

It is the University of Kansas, and I believe that over the past 30 years Kansas has played in 5 championship games. I know we played Duke and Syracuse under Roy and lost both of them, then Memphis, Kentucky, and North Carolina in the 3 under Self. I may be missing one under Roy. That is roughly one championship game every 6 seasons, but we have had the talent to get there in several more occasions and there is no reason to think that we will not have the talent to get there in the near future, though next year's team will be much younger, but may have more raw talent than this year's team along with more depth in the front court. 2 championship game appearances in 10 years is definitely reasonable to think it can happen, just gotta win them if we get there.

Jeff Coffman 4 months, 1 week ago

You could argue Big East Champ and ACC Champ since we ran through those conferences as well in the tournament.

Atlantis next year should be a great tournament and Maui is always nice. Those have to be great recruiting events, since we guarantee we will be to those tournaments every four years. I know we do Las Vegas frequently. I know local is nice in the Sprint Center, but I wish we would find one that would be strong for recruiting purposes.

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 1 week ago

Micky,

I just joust joking with you.

My point was that if you are expecting 3 (or 4) national titles in 10 years, you are most likely going to be let down.

Some people seem to think that if we don't make the final four every year then Bill Self needs to be fired.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

I hear you Micky. Nice post.

I do wonder how much longer he will want to coach. 5 year's would be nice. Not sure who a next coach would be though. It has to be one of the best jobs in College basketball.

2 Championship games for Roy. That Syracuse one still stings, and for some reason the loss to Mike Bibby and Arizona was very disappointing.

We might have a decent portal player or two, that would help the new guys out.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 1 week ago

I hear you Micky. Nice post.

We might have a decent portal player or two, that would help the new guys out.

Dirk Medema 4 months, 1 week ago

I watched a replay - I think it was Duke in 1991? It started with graphics of them being having the most wins.

It would seem to me that “winningest” would be less accurate due to ambiguity. Winningest at least brings in the possibility of % and we don’t have that. It’s also interesting to see the variety of dates for starting programs. All over the board, so all the more reason to simplify to most wins.

Besides, many people can’t grasp more than simply counting, and going beyond fingers to toes is tricky if they’re not wearing sandals.

Dirk Medema 4 months, 1 week ago

CB appears to be counting in the photo. Any idea what that’s about?

Dirk Medema 4 months, 1 week ago

Of course "agents want him gone". They’re always looking for new clients. He’s a can’t miss multi-millionaire in their marketing words.

He’s got lots of alpha dog in him. Does he want to be Ochai’23?

The crazy thing with Ochai was just how little was about him leading/being in front and how much was about bringing everyone else along. It’s what makes his mvp, mop, or whatever so much more palatable. He was always deferring to everyone else, and instantly deferring to David at the presser, and both of them to Juan for the game. Such great leadership.

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 1 week ago

Dirk,

I think that the photo of Braun was taken when he was asked to recap the defense that he played on the final possession. But I did see him in a different video during the celebration he was in the background talking with one of the teammates and he did appear to be counting on his fingers, and I think that he was counting how many nets that they had cut down this season.

Joshua Tate 4 months ago

People do care about who has the most wins, even if said team has played more seasons/games. Certain folks here like to rain on that parade. To each their own.