Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Kansas basketball to host welcome home event at 4:15 p.m. today at Memorial Stadium

Kansas guard Christian Braun (2) goes berserk after getting a breakaway bucket against North Carolina during the second half of the NCAA National Championship game on Monday, April 4, 2022 at Caesars Superdome in New Orleans.

New Orleans — The Kansas men’s basketball program, and the brand new, national champions trophy they collected on Monday night, will host a welcome home party at David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium at approximately 4:15 p.m. this afternoon.

Gates to the stadium will open at 3 p.m. and fans will be encouraged to sit on the west side of the stadium.

Parking lots around the stadium will open at 2 p.m. and fans will be able to park and enter free of charge.

A shuttle service, which will run from the parking garage on Vermont Street and the Riverfront Plaza also will be available beginning at 2:30 p.m.

The celebration figures to be short and sweet, with head coach Bill Self and KU players addressing the crowd while showing off the team’s shiny new hardware. Both the 1988 national championship squad and the team that won it all in 2008 hosted similar welcome home events.

This year’s was made possible by the Jayhawks’ 72-69, comeback victory over North Carolina in Monday night’s national championship game at Caesars Superdome.

KU trailed by 16 in the first half and 15 at halftime but outscored the Tar Heels 47-29 in the second half to take the title. Both deficits marked the largest ever overcome in NCAA Tournament championship game history.

A championship parade for the 2022 champs is expected sometime this coming weekend but details have not yet been announced.

Comments

Bryce Landon 4 months, 2 weeks ago

It'll probably be the best crowd Memorial Stadium has seen since the Mangino era!

Dirk Medema 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Have they played the spring game yet?

Looking forward to football.

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 2 weeks ago

as for the way too early chatter about next year. The way I see it we are losing Ochai, DMac, Mitch, Remy, and Lands. Technically I guess Och, DMac, and Remy could theoretically return because of the special Covid eligibility situation, but I couldn't imagine any of them returning.

Who could we lose to the early draft entry? Braun and Wilson could test. Both are likely to return. Wilson is nearly a lock to return. Juan is a lock to return.

Who could be a transfer portal loss? KJ is a lock to return. Clemence is nearly a lock, I think he's a rotation guy but not quite ready for big time minutes. Bobby is likely to return, but he absolutely could transfer to an elite program and run a team if he doesn't want to share lead guard duty with Dajuan. I think he saw the way Remy and Juan worked together in March and will stay. He's looks like a KU great in the making to me. Joe Yesufu could seek out a bigger role elsewhere and who could blame him. He can really play but with Braun, Juan, and Bobby returning and Gradey Dick and MJ Rice signed the backcourt remains loaded. Cam... still a mystery man, he could leave, transfer and play elsewhere or just hang it up. He also could start, and be a weapon. I see a possibility that he could be like Landen Lucas with a three gun. But he's smaller than Lucas and we've never seen him play against D1 competition. I think he stays and contributes, but I have no idea how much. The circumstances that brought him here are too specific for me to see him leaving for more PT. Then there's Cuffe. Cuffe redshirted this year which usually means that Bill Self sees an opportunity for him to have an expanding role for several years to come and be a major impact guy in 3 or 4 years... which means he might not be in line for rotation minutes as a RSFR or a Soph. If anyone is gonna hit the Transfer portal my money would be on Cuffe and/or Joe.

If all the Seniors move on, all the recruits stick to the LOIs, no one leaves early for the draft, and no one transfers out then KU is solid at 13 scholarships. The odds of it playing out just like that are pretty low... like maybe 10% likelihood of all of those factors occurring in my opinion. Most likely departures ranked in my opinion are 1. Cuffe transfer 2. Joe transfer (very close second, could be a tie at 1) 3. one of the recruits drops out 4. Cam leaves 5. Braun goes pro 6. Bobby transfer

If any of those 6 occur then Bill Self will patch the hole with the transfer portal.

I don't follow recruiting like I used to. I know a little bit about Gradey because he's been covered lately. MJ Rice was considered a big time recruit when he committed which feel like a long time ago. Bigs usually don't come ready for D1 competition. Does anyone know about the skills of Udeh and Ejiofor and which of the recruits may be ready to make an immediate impact?

Tony Bandle 4 months, 1 week ago

Isn't there a big portal transfer who red shirted this season to be ready to step in next season?

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 1 week ago

Tony, not a big portal transfer, more like a big question mark named Cam Martin. The big stretch 4 who played three years for Boschee in D2 at Missouri Southern. 6'9 240 who dominated D2 from inside and outside.

Personally I can't wait to see him play. I hope that he's our starting big man next year. Could be our version of Villanova's Eric Paschall on a team that can shoot from all 5 positions.

I'm imagining a lineup with Dajuan, Bobby, Braun, Wilson, and Cam.

You could plug Yesufu in for Bobby and Clemence in for Cam, depending on who wins out in November.

Of course there is a freshman class coming who might be hard to keep on the pine.

Dirk Medema 4 months, 1 week ago

Jonathan - This was Remy’s Covid year after 4 at asu.

Lots of projections expect CB to leave. I’m hoping Och wet his appetite for being the lead dog. Needs greater confidence to take his 3 more often when it’s needed and not just when wide open. Part of being the alpha.

Jalen needs to improve his 3 by 10%. He was under 30%, which is why everyone was sagging off him so much. It will open up the lane for his lethal driving.

Cam will need to have shown he can defend at this level, which apparently was why he RS. I was hoping it was going to be insurance and a change of pace for David this year but we’ll see how he’s progressed.

Udeh seems to be a young McCormick and Ejiofor another KJ. Zach will play as much as his/Cam’s D allows. Grady and MJ would appear to be slotted behind CB and Jalen and/or Och replacement.

Coach loves Bobby. Can’t see him leaving after seeing what a championship was like. I’ve been worried about Joe, but I think you only get one free transfer so a second becomes more difficult. There will be a lot of competition for minutes next year and only so many small guard minutes.

Cuffee was a reclassification last year, so this should be his freshman year. Lots of potential but also lots of competition. It would definitely be easier to play somewhere else, though few places can offer the experience he just went through. I would think he’d stay for at least one chance to play.

Dirk Medema 4 months, 1 week ago

If CB leaves, or another player portals, I’d expect Coach to pursue a rim protector. There are several top options in the portal but likely committed before we would be in a position to offer unless someone portals right away.

Jonathan Allison 4 months, 1 week ago

Thanks Dirk. History tells me that it's hard for a freshman (even a soph) big to stay out of foul trouble in rotation minutes... I'm thinking of TRob among others. I agree that coach Self goes after an experienced rim protector in the portal. He had a good talk with that injured Creighton player after the game... not that Kalkbrenner is gonna transfer, but I doubt Bill Self would turn down the 7 footer if he wanted to be a Jayhawk.

I haven't really checked any mock drafts. Is CB slotted as a 2nd rounder? He should go through the combine get evaluated and make a decision, but he can come back and collect NIL money next year and make as much as he's likely get as a 2nd rounder. Why not come back and be the BMOC collect some more hardware graduate and have a senior night, make a run at another national title.

Not as much risk in returning as there used to be in my opinion.