Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Jalen Wilson puts up modest numbers at G League Elite camp in Chicago

Kansas forward Jalen Wilson (10) pulls up for a three over West Virginia forward Derek Culver (1) during the first half, Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2020 at Allen Fieldhouse.

In two games at last weekend’s G League Elite Camp in Chicago, Kansas sophomore Jalen Wilson made one start and came off the bench one time while averaging roughly 19 minutes per game.

Playing for Team Three, at the 40-man camp, Wilson scored six points in his first game, a 94-90 victory, and four points in Game 2, a 78-74 loss.

In the two games combined, he shot 5-of-13 from the floor overall, including 0-of-4 from 3-point range, and grabbed five rebounds, dished six assists and turned it over four times.

From the looks of things, those numbers do not appear to have been deemed good enough to earn an invitation to this week’s NBA combine, which got under way on Monday in Chicago.

According to ESPN.com draft expert Jonathan Givony, Louisville’s Carlik Jones, Ohio State’s Duane Washington, South Carolina’s AJ Lawson and Maryland’s Aaron Wiggins were the G League camp players who earned invitations to the pre-draft combine, which runs through the end of the week.

KU senior Ochai Agbaji, who received an initial invitation to the 70-player combine, is in Chicago this week. He’ll run through medical checks and skills tests for the next couple of days before participating in live five-on-five scrimmages Thursday and Friday.

The scrimmage portion of the combine will be televised by ESPN2 on Thursday and ESPNU on Friday, from 2-6 p.m. each day.

Former KU guard Marcus Garrett also attended the G League Elite camp but did not participate because of what Givony called “a minor injury during a private team workout.”

Givony reported that Garrett still had more than 20 team interviews set up in Chicago.

Garrett, who could have returned to KU for a super senior season in the wake of the pandemic, has indicated that he intends to stay in the draft and move on with his pro career.

Meanwhile, Wilson, Agbaji and Arizona State transfer Remy Martin have until July 7 to make a final decision about remaining in the NBA draft pool or returning to KU for the 2021-22 season.

Comments

Barry Weiss 1 year, 3 months ago

well, I'm sure it still helped him and it will be great to have him back this coming year.

Mallory Briggans 1 year, 3 months ago

Not getting invited to the combine should help Jalen make up his mind .

Ted Hume 1 year, 3 months ago

Great news- for us! I’m really excited if we have him back because of his length and versatility on the wing, and oh yeah, he’s by far our best returning rebounder!

I’m expecting good things from JW including a solid 3

Ted Hume 1 year, 3 months ago

A serious message and plea to the LJW web team: Can you please, please, please take down the full photo-headline link in the right hand story bar about the "KU tennis player arrested and suspended from team". I really feel for her: she made a stupid mistake while drinking at a bar and vandalized someone's car over an ex, and now for an entire year - or two?- her photo is plastered on my screen every single time I read a story. This has to go go away, please. Have some shred of common decency LJW.

thx

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

I'll look into it, but I'm not sure we have direct control over what appears there. I'm pretty sure those are generated at random and cover a wide range of time and topics.

We are supposed to be moving to an upgraded content management system sometime soon, so that may change when that occurs.

I can assure you that the link to that story appearing regularly (I've seen it too, though not every time) is not being done intentionally.

Thanks for the note.

Ted Hume 1 year, 3 months ago

thanks Matt- i figured if the link to the story on JWL was removed completely, then it would no long be available to whatever random generator was consistently grabbing it from the archive and putting it up. I has appeared with shocking frequency for so long... appreciate your response -cheers

David Black 1 year, 3 months ago

I agree with Ted 100% about the poor girl. I thank Matt for his answer.There are 2 or 3 more such stories that are outdated. Hopefully Matt is correct in that they will get control back over these catch stories from years ago Thanks

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

He was not invited to either the G League Elite camp or NBA combine.

Joseph Bullock 1 year, 3 months ago

Thanks Matt! Does Martin have any good path to staying in the draft? I think all of our guys would be smart to return to college!

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

I haven't heard anything about Martin's NBA prospects that leads me to believe staying in the draft is a good move.

Add to that the fact that he talked so highly of KU and Coach Self after committing to Kansas earlier this year and I think the odds are very high that he'll be a Jayhawk next season.

Gerry Butler 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt help me out. So let's play this Scenario , IF by chance Jalen & Remy would return to KU for the Season - - -we still good on our roster limit ? - we wouldn't be over right? - Or did we leave their Scholi's open just for that possibitlity. - -Thanks in Advance

Matt Tait 1 year, 3 months ago

KU has room in terms of scholarships for all three players considering the draft to pull their names out and come back to Kansas.

If any of the three — Remy Martin, Jalen Wilson or Ochai Agbaji — elects to stay in the draft, that would open up another scholarship for KU to use if Self and company wanted to add another player at that time.

In short, the roster is in about as good of shape as it can be in, both from the standpoint of the talent on it and KU's options if any of these guys stay in the draft.

Rodney Crain 1 year, 3 months ago

Welcome back guys. Hope you got something positive out of this. I will totally understand you using the portal to transfer to another team.

Mallory Briggans 1 year, 3 months ago

I see that there is the story about one of the Morris twins BB gun incident .............from 2008 on the KU website 2008 !