Originally published December 27, 2021 at 05:55p.m., updated December 27, 2021 at 09:06p.m.

Kansas basketball adds home game with Nevada; Big 12 home opener vs. TCU postponed

Nevada forward K.J. Hymes defends the ball during a recent Wolf Pack victory over Minnesota-Duluth.

For the second season in a row, a team that did not appear on the Kansas basketball schedule when the season began will face the Jayhawks at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU officials announced Monday afternoon that the men’s basketball program will welcome Nevada to town for a 7 p.m. tipoff on Big 12 Now and ESPN+.

The Wolf Pack will replace Harvard on KU’s original schedule after the Crimson had to pull out because of injuries and COVID-19 issues within their program.

The rapid remake of the 2021-22 Kansas men’s basketball schedule continued late Monday night, when KU officials announced that Saturday’s Big 12 home opener versus TCU had been postponed because of COVID-19 issues within the Horned Frogs program.

According to reports out of Fort Worth, Texas, TCU’s Wednesday game against Texas Southern was canceled earlier in the day because of COVID health and safety protocols.

TCU joined Oklahoma State in postponing its Big 12 opener because of the pandemic.

According to KU’s release announcing the postponement, “KU is currently working with the Big 12 Conference to reschedule the game for a later date this season that works for both teams.”

As with Wednesday’s Nevada game as a replacement for Harvard, all tickets purchased for the TCU game will be valid for the rescheduled game later this season.

The cancellation of the Harvard game was announced by both schools on Sunday evening and the TCU news a day later made for two significant schedule changes in roughly a 24-hour period. That, of course, followed last week's cancellation of KU's road game at Colorado.

A statement released by Kansas Athletics indicated that the Dec. 29 game with Harvard had been called off “because of a combination of injuries and positive COVID-19 tests within the Harvard program.”

Per a statement on Harvard’s website, “The Ivy League continues to keep the safety of its student-athletes, staff and greater campus communities at the forefront of its decision-making during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Both schools also said the game would not be rescheduled this season.

Like Kansas (9-1), Nevada has not played since Dec. 18.

The Harvard cancellation was the second in a row for sixth-ranked KU, which also had last week’s road game at Colorado canceled because of COVID issues within the CU program.

While announcing the Harvard cancellation, KU officials said the program was looking for an opponent to take Harvard’s spot and come to Lawrence on Wednesday for a game at Allen Fieldhouse.

Coached by third-year head coach Steve Alford, the Wolf Pack will come to Lawrence riding a five-game winning streak and at 6-4 overall.

After opening the season with a 91-76 win over Eastern Washington, the Mountain West Conference program dropped four straight to San Diego, Santa Clara, San Francisco and South Dakota State before righting the ship.

Ranked No. 77 overall by KenPom.com — Harvard was No. 173 — Alford’s team features a top 50 offense and a defense that ranks in the top third of all Division I college basketball teams.

Nevada had been scheduled to face San Jose State on Wednesday night in California, but that game was canceled on Sunday night because of COVID-19 issues within the SJSU program.

On his "Hawk Talk" radio show Monday night, Kansas coach Bill Self reiterated his stance that players, coaches and programs would need to remain flexible and avoid frustration in order to get through what has suddenly become a very challenging schedule to execute.

“During these times I don’t think you can put anything on being too important, that you have to do something, because the chances of you doing it the way you want to aren’t very great (because of COVID),” Self said on the show. “It was important we play somebody (on Wednesday). I don’t know if that is as important as having a team full of healthy guys where you can practice every day. The fact we can get a game in, at least as of today — that could all change tomorrow — (is a good thing)."

Alford’s team features MWC Preseason Player of the Year Grant Sherfield, a 6-foot-2, 189-pound junior guard from Fort Worth, Texas, who started his career at Wichita State after finishing his prep career at Sunrise Christian Academy.

Sherfield leads the Wolf Pack at 20 points per game while shooting 40.4% from 3-point range.

Nevada was picked to finish third in the Mountain West in the conference’s preseason coach’s poll.

Prior to any of the changes, Self was asked on Dec. 17 whether he was concerned about COVID impacting the 2021-22 schedule. At the time, he said he was bracing for issues and indicated that keeping a clear head was the key to getting through it.

“I think it’s one of those things that you’ve got to deal with it, roll with it and don’t try to manage the unmanageable — and don’t get too frustrated when things happen,” he said.

Self said then that KU's entire roster had been vaccinated and that all but “a couple” of Jayhawks also had received their booster shots.

Cancellations and last-minute additions have become commonplace in college basketball throughout the past two seasons. Last season, entire schedules were scrapped in the weeks and days leading up to the start of the season, which, itself, was in jeopardy because of the pandemic.

Comments

Spencer Goff 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Excellent, been strange with no Greg or Brian in my house.

Dirk Medema 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Reno should be a decent game. They smoked us the last time we played (?I think?). Hopefully the guys are focused.

Carolyn Hunzicker 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Nevada game on ESPN+ then TCU ESPN+ Oh boy they want us to follow the team HA HA January 6 we get to watch them play

Blake Brown 4 months, 3 weeks ago

ESPN + Yuk! I`ve previously listed many of the downfalls of having to watch our games on this app and forgot one of the big ones that just happened last time. The game was almost over when I got home from work and when I opened up the app since we can't record it, it was still in progress with 1 minute to go and I obviously saw the score so there was no thrill in rewinding and watching from the beginning which I did knowing the game would be at least 73-70 near the end. Thinking this might be a possibility, I'd muted the sound and tired to avoid any info, but it was not to happen. ESPN+ sucks.
BTW, someone mentioned our games are archived on the app, but I have not found that to be true other than recent games that may be available for another day or two On Demand.

RJ King 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Scroll around and find the "replay" section. Archived games should be there for at least a week.

Brett McCabe 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I've decided to start designing waster treatment plants as a side gig. I passed Algebra at KU, I have lots of life experience with water (and waste) and, most importantly, I've done my own research on the internet.

I'm not an engineer, or a scientist, and I don't have any experience at all in treating wastewater and converting it to drinking water, but you may have missed my earlier statement where I made it clear that I've done my own research.

So, here's the plan, all wastewater will be pumped to a tall reservoir constructed in the middle of town. The water will then flow down three levels of water falls into plunge pools. The first level will trap and eventually erode the larger waste, then it will release over to the second level, treating the water further, then to the third. Where it will be entirely potable. Plus, the third level will also be elevated for two reasons.

First, we will have water pressure so we won't need water towers. Second, we will immediately divert a portion of the water to a kids waterfall park, where they can splash and play and pee, because we will just pump that water back up to level one.

I've read a lot on the internet about this. Many different sources. Again, I have absolutely no training, no experience and no educational background. I haven't visited any water treatment plants, nor I have spoken to experts who work with water treatment. I haven't spent a single hour, let alone a single day actually observing water treatment. And I absolutely did not go to Flint Michigan to learn anything about the negative effects bad drinking water. And I don't personally know anyone who ever drank the water in Tijuana.

I do know this. I don't water the Water Treatment Mafia telling me what is clean water is, what it will or won't do to my body. People who get sick drinking unsanitary water are mostly obese leftists in masks. All of us would do much better if we toughened up our immune and digestive systems by allowing a small amount of fecal matter into our drinking water on a regular basis. As long as you don't put any Fluoride in it you Socialist Freedom Hater!

Plus, free Vitamin D to all Americans!

If you like this idea, please subscribe. I have other ideas about removing the socialist traffic signals and highway dividing lines, freeing up Heroin distribution so that the free market can determine it's value (most heroin addicts are obese leftists in masks), eliminating public schools that teach 1619 while talking about Jefferson and Washington's combined 270 slaves and not the chopping down of the cherry tree, plus my best idea....limiting voting to one hour on a weekday with precincts located exclusively in Larned, KS and some place in Wyoming. If you really want to vote, then you'll figure it out. It'll be good. I'm sure of it. I did my own research.

Sae Thirtysix 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Between Dec. 13 and Dec. 20, Denmark reported approximately 50,000 confirmed Omicron cases.

Given the approximately one-week lag between infection and hospitalization, those people should be flooding into hospitals.

EXCEPT THE NUMBER OF OMICRON PATIENTS IN DANISH HOSPITALS HAS NOT RISEN IN THE LAST WEEK.

You read that right. 50,000 positive tests the week before, no change in hospitalizations. Admissions have risen slightly, but patients are being discharged as fast as they are being admitted.

The result: as of Dec. 21, Danish hospitals had 47 Omicron patients, with under five (the report is not more specific) in intensive care.

As of Dec. 27, the hospitals had 51 Omicron patients, again with under five in intensive care.

The question is no longer whether Omicron is a cold. It’s whether it’s as dangerous as a cold. (And, again, this has nothing to do with Covid vaccines; most South Africans are not vaccinated, and the pattern there was the same.)

The only sane political move at this point is to drop ALL mandates - vaccine and otherwise - and ALL asymptomatic or quarantine testing (dropping all non-hospital testing would be even better) - and declare victory and go home. Even if the country weren’t burned out on scare stories and sick of being lied to, the reality of these figures is already obvious to most people. (Including LeBron James.)

When your media water-carriers have to write articles explaining the difference between Covid and a cold… it’s over.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Matt, Sae's post is not based on facts. A quick search shows this. Flagged for removal

Brian Babcock 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Saying it is a fact is quite different than proving it a fact. So please, would you cite for me where you found these facts? You didn't even stress that you have studied these facts to lend credence to your political views. Nor have you proven why you find it necessary to trot out your latest short story fiction on a sports site.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Uh Sae, you have everything wrong. Sorry facts suck but if you are call going to out a country like that you have to check, well with that country and "their" reporting. Not Fox, or Q or Newsmax.

So the facts are as of 10:39am 12-28-2021:

• Denmark says, they are at an alltime peak of Covid 19 cases reported per day.
  • They are reporting 19 deaths per day and rising. The all time high is 35 deaths a day.
  • Denmark also reported new infections, a 7 day rolling week, are up 300% over any other 7 day week period over the last year. Hospitalizations are expected to be at 100% next week.
  • They have 120% of the vaccine for their population, but about 20% of the people there have not taken 1 shot. Imagine that?
  • Strict lockdown measures were already in place and will be extended till the numbers drop. Leadership expects compliance.
  • The Corona pass in Denmark might also be reinstated.
  • They have limited international travel as well

Facts are crazy. I found this information on Denmark from Denmark on the internet in 60 seconds.

Sorry to call you out but you deniers make it so easy I just can't resist.

You may think this is all over blown by the MSM, but the facts, real facts from Denmark call into question your entire post. Covid-19 is not like the flu, but it is airborn (flu is not airborn its touch. Also the flu takes only 24 hours to get you sick, Covid can take a week). We wear masks to protect others, not yourself. Masks do not matter with the flu, contact does. Covid is at least 5 times more deadlier. Sorry it is not like the flu.

I was thinking about this last night. If this is all overblown MSM stuff, why do you deniers not volunteer to help out in the Covid wings? Empty trash, get food for the workers, you know join the front line to "show" us facts people it's not real. Convince the patients they have co-morbidy so they leave.

No? Oh yeah they are going to make you wear a mask. And wearing a mask to protect other people, loved ones, friends, strangers is well not what you do.

Think about this, not one single country on this planet is going to drop ALL the mandates. You can keep shouting for it but that is not going to happen.

Every single country disagrees with you on mandates. Every single one.

Way to go Sae! You have made a top ten list!

Sae Thirtysix 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Let the chips fall.

Y’all have yourself a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Rodney Crain 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Chips are not falling Sae. People are dying because of foolish deniers who do not deal in reality.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Sae Christmas was over 3 days ago. This failure to understand what day it is might be where you got off track on your statements about Denmark.

Sae Thirtysix 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Are you 4 yrs old? Do you use Google for all your information? Since when is Christmas a one day event? https://www.rd.com/article/where-do-12-days-of-christmas-come-from/

Rodney Crain 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Well Sae Christmas is one day the 25th. Birthdays are funny that way. So do you get the whole week off for Chirstmas or just a day or two. I carry the spirit of giving, paying for the car behind me, donating to the poor, homeless and our soldiers yearly. I do not call the whole year Christmas. Steele yourself the avdent, the songs, all of this stuff came WAY after the king was born. You are buying into the commerical not the actual spirit, IMO.

I use google to find the source of the imformation you clowns try to pass off as facts, or real. If at all possible I drill down as much as possible to check if what you are saying is true. In your case Denmark had clearly posted the Facts I stated which do not jive with where ever you got yours. I am going to have to say Denmark should be the souce for what is going on in Denmark.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Love it Brett!

I am going to copy this if con't mind for my freinds.

Ted Hume 4 months, 3 weeks ago

A work of beauty, Brett. You started my day of right with a great laugh.

I also know more than every scientist and health care professional because I do my own “research” on the dark web where the info comes straight from disturbed uneducated ideologically demented crackpots. Avoid the Marxist-communist anti-covid global zombie cabal and their evil leader doctor Fauci- they only care about taking away your freedom and guns, and definitely NOT the global public health and saving lives. Fake news…

Dirk Medema 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Strong sarcasm Brett. I thought you were going a different direction when I read “waster” in the first sentence. We’ve made pot legal, and that’s going well, so heroine is a reasonable follow up. Takes care of the fentanyl leftovers? You did get the 3 stages correct. Are you testing the prototype?

Dirk Medema 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Vitamin D is already free for everyone not living in a cave or basement. It’s called sunshine, Sunshine. No $5B (?) price tag for you or your government.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 3 weeks ago

So during the day when kids are in school, people are at work, if it is sunny out we should all spend 1-2 hours with SPF in the sun?

You thinking a Federal law or just a state thing so that, well the world gets a sun tan break?

Dirk Medema 4 months, 3 weeks ago

The reality is that the technology for converting wastewater to potable/drink water has been available for 30-ish years. I believe it is widely used in some countries where water is already scarce. Plenty of nerdicles about it available (not on the darknet but a shadier portion uninhabited by normal people.) if you actually were interested.

I didn’t stay in a hotel last night, but I am a professional engineer with expertise in water, stormwater, and wastewater.

From reality to context, how about our ‘hawks!

Lee Short 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Can we just comment exclusively on what this site was intended for? Maybe there is an effort to drive people from reading these articles and comments.

Matt, if this happens again, you might want to start taking down non-relevant comments as this will lessen interest in the articles and the comments.

Not sure what all these non-sequitur comments are about. Possible someone peddling politics through sarcasm. Not really clear.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I am trying Lee, but some uninformed posters on here "keep ringing the bell". Seinfeld - Season 5, episode 20.

Brett's post was funny, but a few decided to push their misinformed narrative that is not based on fact.

I would love to just post on our team.

Rodney Crain 4 months, 3 weeks ago

I am glad we have a game to watch. I hope we play well!

Dirk Medema 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Rodney - It doesn’t take 1-2 hours. Maybe only 30 minutes. Even smart design building with windows can benefit, but then I’m sure you already knew that.

(Cue Jack Webb)

Rodney Crain 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Dirk you are wrong. As you are most of the time. We all need Vitamin D, we should take a suplement t during the winter and if possible during the summer go outdoors.

Smart design is a nice concerpt but not available to billions around the world. Get a clue.

Dirk Medema 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Philly and Washington papers report info similar to that of Rodney and Sae. Omi is more contagious, a lot more contagious, but hospitalizations are not up. The opposite end of the spectrum from the dire original predictions. This has been the case over and over. (Cue Jack Webb)

Rodney Crain 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Not contagious does not match the science.

Unless you a getting your info from John Hopkins in the USA, or the WHO or CDC, leave the thinking and commenting to those who actually know.

Dirk you are being dangerous and I really wished you would stop.

Or

If you want me to I will gladly send you the facts, and you can state them as your own findings.