Monday, April 19, 2021

KU target Ty Ty Washington shares Bill Self’s recruiting pitch in Instagram Live interview

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas coach Bill Self is prepared to give a prominent role to four-star point guard Ty Ty Washington, a current KU recruiting target out of Compass Prep in Phoenix, Ariz.

During an Instagram Live interview with ESPN recruiting analyst Paul Biancardi on Sunday night, Washington shared the content of his first conversation with Self, which came on a Zoom call several weeks back.

“So, the very first time I talked to him, he was like, ‘You’re the kid I’m giving the keys to to run my program next year, right,” Washington recalled in the interview. “And I was like, ‘Yeah, that’s me coach.’

“I was like whoa. I was shocked,” he added with a smile.

Despite Washington’s enthusiasm in that moment, the Jayhawks still have a ways to go before the 6-foot-4, 180-pound, do-everything point guard is wearing crimson and blue.

But KU is still alive in recruiting battle, which Washington trimmed to six schools over the weekend.

Joining Kansas on his list of finalists are: Arizona, Baylor, Kentucky, LSU and Oregon.

“I just felt like those six, each of the schools fits me best,” he said. “The style of play, location and the opportunity to come in and play right away, that’s what I was really looking at.”

Kentucky and Baylor are two of the more recent schools to jump in the race for Washington, who told Biancardi that the pitch from Baylor was heavily tied to the Bears’ recent national championship. Washington said that Kentucky coach John Calipari has played up the point guard betting on himself if he picks UK while noting that playing for the Wildcats is not for everybody.

Self’s message seems to be one of persistence.

“Ever since then we’ve just been talking, and whenever he calls, before he hangs up, he’s always like, ‘You know I need you bad over here, Ty Ty,’” Washington told Biancardi. “So he just shows and expresses that he wants me over there.”

There is no official timeline for Washington to make a decision, but he told Biancardi that he’s eyeing the end of the month or the beginning of May as a potential window.

Until then, his plan is simple.

“Go through the rosters, keep watching film and keep building relationships with the coaches,” he said.

Washington also said his relationship with each program’s assistant coaches and seeing the kind of bond the coaching staffs have with his family would be key factors, as well.

Arizona, during his sophomore year, is the only school of his final six that Washington has visited. But he told Biancardi that he and his family were considering making some unofficial visits to a few schools in the next few weeks. He did not specify which schools were on that list.

Washington’s parents have played a big role in his basketball career and he explained some of their biggest influences during the recent interview with Biancardi.

“They always taught me whatever I want I have to go out and take, or earn it, just be humble and keep working hard and eventually it’s going to pay off,” he said. “You can’t cheat this game. If you love it, there’s no in between. You’re either going to go hard all the time or (you’re not going) hard at all.”

Comments

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

The subtle and sincere, it seems worthwhile to recognize that it is a question to Ty, and not a definitive statement by Coach Self. He doesn’t say, If you come to KU, I will give you the keys to the program. It’s a question that must be answered and answered with actions not just words. My guess is that Coach Self commonly does this in general; sets out a challenge to be answered. Some answer the question by transferring. Others step up to the challenge.

The good news with Ty and all the guards is that Coach loves playing combos, and could easily see it being like Frank and Devonte or others. It helps that all 3 new PGs seem capable of scoring. Not terribly different than BU last year (Do they have a PG next year? Will they return to chronically underperforming?)

It seems that this is also a glimpse into the challenge for returning players; to provide a more consistent offensive threat though at the end of the Coach always favors players he’s comfortable with especially on D.

Ted Hume 1 year, 3 months ago

while I'm excited for a new roster and some strong incoming players, it's so critical to keep in mind with all the HS recruits that these kids are YOUNG and inexperienced, and we can't expect too much out of any of them as freshman. Pettiford and Ty Ty may be great prospects, but they aren't going to come in and suddenly play like BU's veteran guard corps this past season or anything. Those 3 were strong a*** grown men out there with 3+ year each developing, improving, and building their bodies. It just would never happen for freshman guards. So yeah- bring in in pleas- but don't expect him to be any kind of stud on the court during his first year in BS's program

Tony Bandle 1 year, 3 months ago

A bus load of KU guards + possible NCAA Probation = No Ty Ty.

It's a simple equation.

Kit Duncan 1 year, 3 months ago

If Ty Ty comes, you'll see several from that busload of guards in the transfer portal next year, even if he goes OAD.

I still say he is better than any of the other incoming guards, and Coach WILL give him the keys.

Brian Wilson 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm not so sure....probably a hand slap to avoid a legal mess with injunction. The case would probably last more than a year and injunction means the players play. Meanwhile, California is forcing player payments while the NCAA's argues over an unknown $2500 payment to a guardian parent of DeSouza's, unsubstantiated testimony from the Nike case, and a car that came from ? used by by a player that was never a Jayhawk. How will all that look in court while players get paid direct by schools? IMO, it would be....several if not many lack of due process arguments, false accusations, defamation, selective, wrongful, malicious prosecution, plus a ton of other things I am sure KU attorneys are piling in their folder. I am fairly certain that a Federal Judge will not look kindly on what appears to be a rampant NCAA that that is selectively handing out punishments. How will the NCAA answer in a Federal Court why they are not punishing all schools equally? To me there appears to have been much much much worse things going on left unpunished. Then finally add to it, there appears to be ample room for damages. Just guessing, a back room is filled with smoke right now and we don't know it.

Steve Zimmerman 1 year, 3 months ago

Court case or not, Brian, as Tony puts it: we DO NOT NEED Ty. PERIOD. We've got capable guards. VERY CAPABLE GUARDS. I'm not even sure how coach BS so certain about Ty - coach has proven wrong about Bryce already. Or perhaps, he smooth talked Ty when we didn't have Bobby or Yesufu. Bottom line is, NO Ty, NO problem.

Suggestion to kusports editor, can you write some other articles worth reading rather than spending 15 minutes on useless Ty recruitment? This is your probably 5th article about him. We've got exciting upcoming players: transfers, freshmen. They're already Jayhawks family, more deserving stories to write about.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

Matt, er also. Thanks for all the stories that keep us updated as well as all the stories we know you’re working on for the future about the team.

It may have been a 24/7 article that reported Bobby Pettiford was recruiting Ty to join him at KU. I can easily see Yesufu playing alongs If anybody transfers away it likely means they weren’t competitive enough to accept the challenge. Competitors will make it and laugh at the naysayers.

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

I can easily see Yesufu playing alongside Ty as well. Not terribly different than what was successful in the NC game. The good news is that these guards don’t have to be as good Teague, etc, because our frontline is better. They just need to do their best. Some will complain but they will commonly complain regardless.

Robert Brock 1 year, 3 months ago

I’m sure that Coach Self watched young Mr. Washington play on TV in the GEICO championship tournament and was impressed. I know I was.

Chad Durbin 1 year, 3 months ago

You can never have enough quality guards that can shoot the ball! I think this was proven when Jalen Wilson broke his ankle after one of his first collegiate games. Let’s let HCBS do what he does best, coach and recruit players!

Dirk Medema 1 year, 3 months ago

There’s some indication that the schedule proved Coach was right about Bryce. Or maybe it was just a coincidence; that there wasn’t a causal correlation between the midseason swoon and Bryce being out, as well as his return to the lineup and the team’s return to winning. The shortcomings in the tourney affirmed that it wasn’t just about Bryce as much as the collective whole. As Chad says, can never have too many good guards.

Rodney Crain 1 year, 3 months ago

This kid is not going to be worth all the garbage that is going to come with him.