Thursday, February 1, 2018

Report: KU coordinator Meacham named in former TCU receiver’s harassment lawsuit

Kansas offensive coordinator and receivers coach Doug Meacham watches over a drill during practice on Monday, Aug. 14, 2017 at the grass fields adjacent to Hoglund Ballpark.

Kansas offensive coordinator and receivers coach Doug Meacham watches over a drill during practice on Monday, Aug. 14, 2017 at the grass fields adjacent to Hoglund Ballpark.


Kansas offensive coordinator and receivers coach Doug Meacham, who previously was co-offensive coordinator and coached inside receivers at TCU, has been named in a lawsuit by a former player who says he was harassed by TCU’s coaching staff, according to a Fort Worth Star-Telegram report.

Kolby Listenbee, a former TCU football standout, filed the lawsuit in Dallas against the university and the Big 12 Conference, alleging Horned Frogs head coach Gary Patterson and other coaches “continuously pressured, humiliated and harassed” the receiver after an injury diagnosis in hopes of getting him back in the lineup more quickly.

The alleged abuse and harassment occurred during Listenbee’s senior season in 2015.

Reached through a KU spokesperson, Meacham responded to the report Thursday evening: “I have no comment beyond the statement that TCU has released.”

The account Meacham referenced from TCU read: “As a practice, Texas Christian University does not comment on the specifics of pending litigation. However, TCU takes tremendous pride in its long-standing tradition of excellence in providing a positive experience for its student-athletes, especially in the areas of care, prevention and rehabilitation of athletic injuries.”

Listenbee was drafted in the sixth round of the 2016 NFL Draft after playing in 10 games at TCU as a senior, and catching 30 passes for 597 yards and five touchdowns. The Buffalo Bills released the receiver in 2017 without ever playing him in a game.

Listenbee alleges that after injuring the cartilage that holds the pelvic bones together during a touchdown reception against SMU in September of 2015, he was pressured to return to the field before fully recovered. Listenbee says he was diagnosed with pelvic instability, which “requires a minimum of six months of rest and rehabilitation,” according to the lawsuit, which also claims the Big 12 failed to review TCU’s compliance with the NCAA Rules and policies.


John Joseph Gorski 4 years, 6 months ago

Well I guess Meacham will now likely be out of the running to be interim HC after Beaty gets fired midway through the season.

Len Shaffer 4 years, 6 months ago

Incompetence and abuse is always a great combination.

John Fitzgerald 4 years, 6 months ago

Until proof is laid out I’ll assume this guy is just looking for some quick cash after being dumped by the Bills.

Ryan Shelton 4 years, 6 months ago

Funny timing, this WR filing a lawsuit after his NFL career flopped.

Jeff Coffman 4 years, 6 months ago

Although many of us look at this as a frivolous case and timing seems a little suspicious. These are the cases that are going to gain steam in the football programs that could lead to devastating consequences. This guy might have remedies of long health care requirements, lost potential wages, and the dreaded pain and suffering. I hope that TCU, BXII, and believe or not the NCAA analyze this with due care and caution.

Mike Hart 4 years, 6 months ago

This kid got hurt in the SMU game (game 3)!of 2015. He came out the next week and had 6 catches, 100+ yards and a TD. He played in every game the rest of the season. In Feb 2016, he went to the NFL combine and ran a 4.39 40yd dash and got drafted by the Bills. He then went and had hernia surgery in Mar 2016. After that surgery, this was Listenbee: “I talked to the surgeon when I first had surgery and he said four months for a full recovery," he said. He got drafted in 6th round by the Bills. Under BILLS’ care/doctors... he then had 2 more surgeries. The last surgery put a metal plate in his pelvis. He was slow to recover from that surgery and the Bills released him in 2017. He later made the Dolphins practice squad and as of Jan 2018 is signed to the Colts with a reserve/futures contract. I find interesting interesting he is now suing TCU, when had never missed a game, went to the NFL combine, got drafted and then had 3 surgeries outside the care of TCU. He put football and getting drafted ahead of his health.. and by his own quote said doctor told him it was a FOUR month recovery process. Now in lawsuit against TCU.. he claims 6 months minimum recovery. I guess TCU pressured him to go to NFL combine before seeking medical care too....

Edward Daub 4 years, 6 months ago

Mike Hart is the Best at "Paralysis via Analysis".

Jeff Coffman 4 years, 6 months ago

Except the receiver did miss time and was not in the game the following week...make that three. I wonder after three weeks of sitting on the sidelines if the coaches started encouraging him to get back on the field.

Jeff Coffman 4 years, 6 months ago

Your research is flawed. The very next game he did not play against Texas Tech. In fact he didn't play for three games. He came back against Iowa state three games later. He did not return immediately, which aligns with a confirmed injury. He did miss time. TCU's defense of missing the post program physical might be a better defense than saying he didn't miss time when he did.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.