Monday, January 4, 2016

Lions’ Bledsoe on losing West team at Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl

Lawrence High football standout Amani Bledsoe played for the West squad in a 28-13 loss to the East on Sunday in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl at StubHub Center in Carson, California.

Bledsoe, who started at defensive end, recorded a tackle in the fourth quarter.

Bledsoe, a four-star recruit by Rivals.com, has narrowed his final college choices to Kansas, Oklahoma, Baylor, Oregon and North Carolina State.

Comments

Greg Ledom 6 years, 7 months ago

Let's go Amani! Be the cornerstone of the Beaty revolution!

Randy Glenn 6 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Bledsoe could be the start of something big!! Rock Chalk Amani !!!!!!

Brett McCabe 6 years, 7 months ago

It's an interesting decision for a kid. I always told my kids to trust their guts and to not overthink things.

After watching the bowl games, I can see why a player would want to go to an established program. However, there are advantages to staying at home and building a legacy.

It's difficult to create a persuasive visual for a kid to vividly show how satisfying it would be to literally watch a stadium fill-up over his career. To be able to look out and say "I helped build that." To me, it would be a much richer and more long-lasting experience. Let's hope that Amani sees the beauty of that type of achievement.

David A. Smith 6 years, 7 months ago

We're all biased. I know that, you know that, and Amani knows that. BUT, the amazing opportunity that is his at KU remains! At any of the other schools on his list, he faces the unfortunate reality of being a talented guy from Kansas that the locals just have no real investment in, other than the four years that he is there. At KU, he'll be a HUGE asset for his four years here...but he'll have what he simply won't anywhere else: 1) the chance to build a winner from scratch, 2) the chance to be a living legend in the program for a very long time and an icon in the community and in all things KU....in a very "keys to the city" way. I have my selfish reasons for wanting the kid to stay, but my hope is that he sees the huge difference in what staying would mean for him, both now and for the rest of his life. Staying would be a very wise decision.

Michael Maris 6 years, 7 months ago

I have to say this, I don't see what OU has to offer (anymore). Sure, they win the Big XII. But, the moniker of ''Big Game'' Bob is not accurate anymore. Bob hasn't been able to get his team to the ''Big Game'' in some time now.

Glen Miller 6 years, 7 months ago

History, tradition, Championships, Bowl games, All-Americans, NFL scouts at practices and games weekly........ should I go on. Come on, I am as big a KU homer as there is, but acting as though OU has nothing to offer over us is an insanely ridiculous statement. They have had struggles, but still.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 7 months ago

OU is sliding. Baylor is rising. Oregon apparently has the dumbest football coach in America. I think we've got a chance with Amani and I agree with everything David posted. It's a chance to create a real legacy.

Joe Ross 6 years, 7 months ago

He will be loved at Kansas. He will be another face at OU.

It's easy to stand out at Kansas. It's harder to stand out at OU.

You get more playing time at Kansas. Youll ride the bench for 2 years at OU.

OU is a great program. But building a program makes you part of something more special.

This is home.

Brett McCabe 6 years, 7 months ago

I'll take this moment to post another one of my brilliant ideas: Learn from the NFL by creating more parity in football. How? Simple.

Using the regular season record (sorry purple pussycats, you don't get credit for losing another bowl game) of each team, employ the following scholarship allotment:

All Teams with a W-L of .500 or Better: 25/85 - Exactly as it is today.

All Teams with a W-L of sub-.500: An additional scholarship for each game below .500.
In this example, KU would get 6 additional scholarships based on an 0-12 record. A 4-8 team would get 2 additional scholarships.

Why? To misquote Gordon Gekko: "Parity is good. Parity works." Just ask the NFL. Imagine the interest in a Big 12 (with a championship game) where you had 6 or 7 teams in the running the last few weeks for the Conference Championship game!

The NCAA needs to understand that Football is King, and the best way capitalize is to get more teams in the mix.

For a team like KU, the additional 6 scholarships would be huge in fast-tracking the rebuild. A wise man would invest them in freshmen, but you could also use them on JUCO's or Transfers to immediately get more competitive.

This system is self-regulating. As you get more competitive, you get less help. KU at 6-6 on a regular basis would bring 45,000+ to Memorial. It would change everything.