Sunday, March 1, 2015

Attorney mum on Cliff Alexander

Arthur McAfee, a Washington, D.C.-based attorney retained by the family of Cliff Alexander regarding an undisclosed issue with the NCAA, hopes for a timely resolution of the matter.

“I am quite sure there is (NCAA timeframe). I don’t have any specifics on a timeframe at this moment,” McAfee told the Journal-World Sunday in a phone conversation. “I think everybody understands the nature of the remainder of the basketball season. That is obvious, (but) I think they’ll try to do this (investigation) as quickly and thoroughly as possible.”

Can he discuss what the NCAA inquiry is about?

“I cannot,” McAfee said. “As we get more information and it is more complete, we’ll be able to share information at a later point. I just don’t know if we have that at the moment. (We’re) just trying not to have too much speculation until we absolutely know what in fact are the issues.”

Mason sits: KU sophomore guard Frank Mason III, who injured a toe on his left foot late in Saturday’s win over Texas, did not take part in KU’s short practice Sunday, coach Bill Self said. “He’ll practice tomorrow, I’m sure,” Self said.

Comments

Tyson Ailshie 7 years, 7 months ago

My initial reaction is that this is not good. I hope I am wrong.

Suzi Marshall 7 years, 7 months ago

It usually is not good when you combines words like Chicago, Washington DC, Law ...and investigation.

I'm fearful this has something to do with Curie and the Chicago Public Schools, CPS, where I taught for many years. This could be another Rose ordeal originating with the CPS.

Robert Lofthouse 7 years, 6 months ago

This is no simple accusation of mistake. They got a pricey DC specialist to defend.

"In the collegiate and amateur sports industry, Arthur has represented the NCAA as an NCAA Enforcement Representative with duties that included acting on behalf of the organization before the NCAA Committee on Infractions against universities and institutions for violations of NCAA legislation."

Severeno Woods 7 years, 7 months ago

Well this sucks. Thank you Cliff for the commitment to Kansas. Not the best season for him, but I know with the lure of the NBA he is gone. Even though a second year at Kansas would help him and his draft stock.

John Boyle 7 years, 6 months ago

Reminds me a little bit of the D. Arthur deal with the Texas school. It was easier to declare for the draft rather than have it hanging over his head.

John Randall 7 years, 6 months ago

Somewhat of a difference – Darrell was assured of first round in the draft, if not lottery. Cliff played less than a third of minutes for a team desperate for a post presence, and likely wouldn't be among the 32 first rounders. My guess is Montgomery won't see an NBA bench before doing time overseas.

Lance Cheney 7 years, 6 months ago

Isn't he still first-round in the mock drafts? I could be wrong. And who's Montgomery?

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 6 months ago

My bet is that this has to do w his family and contact w an agent. The agent may have given his family some financial assistance w the promise of repayment when Cliff went pro. I think Cliff is done, but I don't think we'll get hammered. There is no way KU could've known what his family was up to back in Chicago. Similar to the Cam Newton situation. This is purely speculative, but my gut feeling nonetheless.

If this is the case, there ought to be prosecution eligible for these scumbags.

John Randall 7 years, 6 months ago

"Scumbags" seems a harsh characterization, but likely an accurate one considering the windy city environs. Nothing and nobody has emerged untainted by rampant corruption in my memory (long enough to recall the voting fraud in 1960).

William Weissbeck 7 years, 6 months ago

Coach K, Okafor and Parker, also long ago Corey Maggette.(sp?). There may be a slight difference. Coach K tends to recruit guys whose families don't immediately need the NBA check. I often wonder why in all of John Thompsons' efforts to protect borderline academic players before the NCAA, he didn't get into the cesspool that is the HS/AAU relationship. We know where the problem is. Also, I wonder if this is anyway related to Alexander's can't miss status clearly going by the board. Julian Wright demonstrated more in his short stay.

Scott Perlmutter 7 years, 6 months ago

2 days before the word of the NCAA investigation, Cliff posted a picture on his instagram account of him and a Lamborghini. A friend of his posted beneath that the picture was taken quite some time ago and the car was not his. The NCAA may be looking into that.

Bob Bailey 7 years, 6 months ago

It settle Cliff back to trying to get drafted. WHY THE H

The car deal may force Cliff to try to get drafted. Why the h---- don't we educate players a little about trouble. Sounds to me a little like Cliff was asking for trouble.

Dale Rogers 7 years, 6 months ago

So far this is just speculation that the car picture is in any way involved with this. So why are we sounding like it's a definite cause of the investigation?

Rob Bedford III 7 years, 6 months ago

Anyone have a list of the number of kids that have been in trouble with eligibility issues over the last 7 years under Self? How about under Calipari?

Ben Kane 7 years, 6 months ago

trying to read between the lines a bit. 1. they have hired an expensive lawyer... not good sign 2. immediately taken out of playing as a precaution 3. they are still gathering facts

this smells to me like a grade fixing scandal. I wish the ncaa would get their act together as far as clearing players. There are about a dozen div 1 basketball players every year who have some sort of eligibility issue hanging over their heads for an excessive amount of time.

since Alexander must have been initially cleared through this process, it seems unfair to him to put that back into question without having all the facts of the case.

Gerry Butler 7 years, 6 months ago

I like a couple of others here today believe Cliff is done, Cliff will not see the floor again for KU. my way a thinking is from a combination of things that when you add them up just leads me to believe he is done. nu1. Cliff has struggled with his game in college, he struggles to even stay on the floor, he is a defensive liability, having trouble. nu 2. with the fore mentioned has caused him reduced playing time, which adds to his frustration, which in turn he gets to thinking, which is a BAD IDEA may think you know what I don't need this. nu 3. so as this goes along then you add in the kid gets BAD outside information from lets say the wrong people, possible agent, friends, to the likes of Cliff the NBA is tell us your still a 1st round pick. nu 4 Cliff coming from Chicago not sure he could be inner city, family may need money so he trying to help family, NOW you know, I know there is no way Cliff is even close to being ready to go to the NBA, BUT as we also know or have been told the NBA drafts to potential, again may be getting fed wrong information. nu 5 now this with the possible eligibility may be just to much for him and he runs says screw it, that's just me, but hey who am I? I am just putting my 2 cents for what its worth. as far as KU getting hammered like Brianna said I don't think we will just believe there is no way that happens, just as soon as the NCAA notified we immediately sit him and like they talked on the drive last night if and when or if it was just like a suspension to Cliff he sit Saturday, then tomorrow, then coming Saturday they was talking likw who knows that might be what it comes to a certain suspension, well he had already sit his games I dunno guys frustrating but I still believe we have seen the last of Cliff GO HAWKS

Brianna Zaleski 7 years, 6 months ago

Im not sure if you understood my post, but I don't believe KU gets hammered either. If it's his family taking money from an agent, how the hell could KU know about that?

Andrew Foster 7 years, 6 months ago

So think we all agree that Cliff is done at KU

Think that someone from his family, maybe his boys got in his head and told him that his lack of playing time and general feedback from not stepping up was impacting his draft stock.

So family may have directly contacted an agent simply to assess where he stands in relation to draft and NCAA got wind of the situation. Cliff is simply guilty by association whether he spoke with an agent or not.

Unfortunately this is the world we live in and until the NBA either strats taking kids directly from HS again or until a rule similar to baseball is in place we will continue to see the revolving door