Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Self sees quick clock

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self has noticed a big difference attacking a 24-second shot clock in the Jayhawks’ first two World Games practices.

“It’ll be a huge adjustment,” he said. “Just in the little bit we’ve played, hey, if you take the ball out full-court and it’s 24, there’s not much time to get a shot. You’ve got to run some pretty good stuff to get a good look by the 10-second mark. We’ve just got to practice being aggressive at all times. Sometimes I think we’re way too passive, and we run offense just to run offense. Now we’ve got to run offense to score.

“The guys are excited about this. I’m real pleased at how excited they are to get a chance to play and do something special. I know our guys are jacked to play against pros,” Self added.

Comments

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 11 months ago

I've never understood offense just to run offense, you're giving the defense free looks at your sets without accomplishing anything. With a 24 second clock, there just isn't time to stand around. You have to get the ball up court and get into your offense right away. One of the biggest issues I've always had with Self's system is that he almost always has superior athletes, yet he doesn't push the tempo and really take advantage of that. A 24 second clock is going to force Self to play more up tempo because there just isn't time to slow the tempo like he prefers. I really hope dome of the philosophies Self is going to have to incorporate into the team for this tournament stick when November rolls around.

Harlan Hobbs 6 years, 11 months ago

Pretty good analysis, Aaron. While I trust Bill Self to run the best system, I'll admit that I have somewhat missed the upbeat tempo that we often had during the Roy Williams era. Of course, we never won a national championship under Roy, although we had a number of good opportunities.

Hopefully, the summer experience with a 24 second clock will make the transition to a 30 second clock in the regular college season seem like a cakewalk.

Ryan Woods 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm excited to see the NCAA try and look even more like the NBA, because I love watching NBA games. The thrill of seeing an isolation offense, outstanding defensive efforts, and turnaround 3 point shots is un-paralleled. Last year, watching Oubre drive and throw up a no look, 180 prayer was as close to an NBA play as I could see in person. I have no idea how NCAA basketball has survived for so long without change emulating the league. I can hardly contain my excitement....sarcasm font

Scott Proch 6 years, 11 months ago

Aaron and Harlan - There lies the terrible catch 22 with the game right now. We're usually more talented until we get to tourney time. Do we want to be fast paced and entertaining (like the Warriors & the Tar Heels) or do we want to punch you in the mouth (like the Cavs & UConn)? There was nothing more beautiful than watching Kirk and Co. break out of a made hoop and score 5 seconds later. Then a bad night shooting against Syracuse and the dream was over. Same thing happened against AZ with the most talented bunch we've ever had. Not sure if you can do both...

Len Shaffer 6 years, 11 months ago

I'll agree with you somewhat on the AZ game, but the Syracuse game wasn't about bad shooting from the field, it was about two things: a ridiculous half of three-pointers from McNamara and, much more than that, miserable free throw shooting. Neither of those things had anything do with the type of offense KU was playing.

Titus Canby 6 years, 11 months ago

I believe a shortened shot clock, especially at 24 seconds, could REDUCE scoring. The defense only has to play hard for 24 seconds instead of 35. If they press hard in the back court and force you to near 10 seconds to get across the line, then you only have 14 seconds to score. Not much time to swing the ball from side to side to get the defense out of position. That's what our best teams under Self have done on offense. The best teams under Self have also sped up the other team, forcing them into turnovers, leading to fast breaks. The reason to "just run offense" is to find the weakness in another team's defense and to make them play defense for 35 seconds and tire them out.

One the subject of the AZ game, how the heck DID we lose that game? We would have beaten them 9 out of 10 times. If Haase would have been healthy for that game, we win handily.